-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry for being a little slow. I didn't realize that you are just trolling. Have a great day.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's up to you what you do with the facts. I just hate to see fine rifles ruined.

Numerous examples provided. Google it yourself, or just keep acting stupid.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Since what would constitute proof of the conversion itself being dangerous is so apparently unclear to you, I'll help.

If you can provide proof of the conversion failing and resulting in an actual or potentially harmful event, when the conversion was otherwise installed properly and the loads factory loaded to SAAMI spec, or handloaded likewise, then you have proof and I'll admit that you've proven the point.

Thus far, you've cited instances of improperly performed conversions and handloading errors, none of which proving that the conversion itself is dangerous.

Does this clear it up any for you as to what would constitute proof, and what you need to show to prove your point?

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
This thread has lost all its validity in a meaningless head butting..

The topic was never about extractors being customized in the first place, it was about the Rem Models 721 and 722 design. So we have a back door hijacking of the thread, close to the subject perhaps, but on Ceeegar.

The addition of Sako extractors is something that has been done for years as a custom feature on Remington rifles..Both views have been stated, so its up to the individual to make his own decision on the conversions safety and it is good this has been stated in case it is dangerous but todate nobody has got a bolt stuck between their eyes as far as I know from this conversion? Sometimes a design flaw is based on probability and nothing more, like maybe it could happen, but never has, in which case if we accepted it as fact then we would all still be chipping flint.:)

I don't know who is right or who is wrong, but about all has been said that can be said on the subject.

Last edited by atkinson; 07/23/09.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
The thread hasn't lost its validity to me, because I had that Sako extractor conversion done to my 722, and if it's dangerous, I want to know about it.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by frogman43
Ran across one of these today in a local gunshop with $289 on the price tag. It has had the stock altered, and a gross red rubber buttpad installed. No major rust on it and still has factory open sights on it. Bore looks clean, and rifling looks sharp.

Is it worth the asking price?

Keith

Getting back to the question.

I would buy it in a heartbeat. I have a 721 and 722 and love them both. Very accurate!

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ran across one of these today in a local gunshop with $289 on the price tag. It has had the stock altered, and a gross red rubber buttpad installed. No major rust on it and still has factory open sights on it. Bore looks clean, and rifling looks sharp.

Keith

YES!

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
I was talking to Urban Rahoi last night. He is a registered guide who guides at his lodge at Ptarmigan Lake near Kluane National Park in the Alaska side which is a Preserve thus open to hunting.
Urban has guided there continuously since 1949.
He said that in all of his time guiding he used one gun that didn't fail a model 721 30/06 with a 2X Lyman Alaskan. Urban said that it was accurate to about 400 yards and finished numerous grizzlies hit by clients.

He still guides with it. He says he is slower now at the age of 92 but he still gets out there and guides at least 1 hunter per year.
Urban guided Warren Page and was in camp with Jack O'Connor who was hunting from the Canadian Side. I think that this is your evidence that it is a gun of decent quality.

There was a model 30 set with an old express stock at the gunshop last spring. I really was tempted. Those old rifles had a lot of little details that were nice even if it was heavy as heck.

I would pick it up and not look back.

Sincerely,
Thomas

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I won't offer proof but my 'smith's experiences. He has witnessed not one but two Sako mod failures at shooting competitions. In both cases the blown off extractor traveled up the lug raceway and right into the arms of the shooters resulting in serious injury. Both shooters carry that steel in their bodies to this day.

Needless to say he is not a fan and neither am I (of Sako extractor mods).

As for the 721s, I knew of two old timers who each owned one in 300H&H and they used them for a lifetime of hunting. Both rifles held up well.

MtnHtr

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sako extractor mods are designed to comfort your CRF dipsh!ts who lay awake at night dreaming.

Most gunsmiths don't like doing sako conversions because they make very little money from it and at the same time risk [bleep] up a perfectly good bolt face that they'll have to replace if they do mess up.

So as a result you hear all kinds of excuses from hot gas escaping,to shrapnel stories,to it makes my dog [bleep] on the floor everytime he thinks about it.

In the end Savage99 is still a complete douche bag that has probably handled a M721 one time and is now an authority.

IC B3

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
shut up

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
So how much money did that gastric bypass set you back?Don't worry you'll manage to gain all the weight back.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj

Keith

Getting back to the question.

I would buy it in a heartbeat. I have a 721 and 722 and love them both. Very accurate!

ddj

Amen!
There's just a whole lot of nostalgia with those old 721's and 722's I can't pass any of them up. And, they all shoot as well today as the rifles made today.
Every one of the 722's I have will shoot at least 1/2" at 100 yards for 3 shots, and the little guys, the 222's and 222 Mag's, shoot better. That accuracy is obtained after a good cleaning only; no tweaking at all, just a trigger adjustment to a 2 1/2 pound pull. For some strange reason, all of the seven 722's I have came with a 5 pound pull trigger.
The main thing I learned from these rifles is that free floating barrels, glass bedding stocks, and bore polishing is not necessary for great accuracy. All of the 722's have barrels bedded as received. I'm sure bullet the points of impact can change from year to year, as the Walnut takes on and gives up moisture, but I can deal with that by shooting the rifles just before hunting with them, and confirming zero's.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have encountered two or three 722s in 257R in the last
couple of years, wish I would have bought all of them.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I should have mentioned that one of the 722's I have does not shoot well at all. It's the one in 308, one with the checkered stock. Three shot into about a 2" to 2 1/2" group at 100 yards is the best I can do with it.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Many older deer rifles won't shoot much better than that. Modern CNC machines have really rasied our expections when it comes to accuracy.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Savage 99,
These things are true, however it is true as well of the Remington 700, arguably the most popular and widely distributed bolt action ever built. The 721 and 700 are virtually identical. The US military uses it as it's M24 sniper rifle and countless SWAT teams rely on them for tactical work.

The 721-722 has a stock designed for iron sights and have a lot of drop at the comb. This makes you have to stretch a bit to get to a scope and also causes the rifle to muzzle rise more than a straight stock.

I have a couple of 722's and a 721 or two. One of my 722's has a .221 Fireball barrel in it and is my all time favorite light varmint rifle.

NRA Life
Walk softly, but carry.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
The various 721/722's on the market are the greatest 'sleeper' buys out there. I've looked for a 722 in .257 for years and never seen the first one. You guys who keep passing them up ..... CALL ME!

O

Too old to suffer fools
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (8MMX57JS, Akhutr, ak_Rick, 9 invisible), 921 guests, and 799 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,101
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.