Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The guy on the left is as close to my dad as a mentor; though I've corrupted him almost as much as he has me....more like brothers.
[Linked Image]

Course my Dad (left) and Tom (right) always liked to pose with MY deer when I was off at school; Think I was 12.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by teal
Old bastards with whiskey and a decent sense of humor is more of an education than any MBA or JD money can buy.

And it was....
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Dad taught me and my 4 brothers fishing from a very young age. We still fish together as much as we can. Family tradition is to spend a week fishing Lake Champlain. He also taught me how to shoot a bow. Best thing is that he's still here to continue teach my kids and wife. My Uncle and Grandfather also put a lot of time teaching us how to fish.

Ed, a great friend, and long time hunting pard taught me how to hunt and shoot.

We had to learn how to trap on our own.

NRA Life Member

"All hunters should be nature lovers"
~Theodore Roosevelt~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dad for hunting, Mom for fishing. Pat McManus has a lot to do with how I am too. grin

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I recall two very drunk bastards making a 5th grader eat deer heart boiled in beer, whilst I was camping/trapping. They were bowhunting and just so happened to snag a nice buck

Memories......

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Father & older brothers taught me small game hunting. Older brother taught me how to fish. Taught myself deer hunting. Grandparents were all deceased prior to my birth, so missed that part of growing up. I now try to be the grandfather that I never had to my grandchildren. None have shown much interest in hunting or fishing. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HawkI
I recall two very drunk bastards making a 5th grader eat deer heart boiled in beer, whilst I was camping/trapping. They were bowhunting and just so happened to snag a nice buck

Memories......

I woulda ate a beating deer heart for a good father.

I loooooooove this thread. Happy for those with grande memories....and it's nice to see people thankful for the hand they were dealt.

Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog.
-- Mark Twain

Part of me lives with the wind in my face,
while the other part is barely alive.

--Mary Gauthier
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Yep, I'd do it again.....

You do realize I was scared schitless at the time.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HawkI

Memories......

Drunk probably, but I don't know about the bastard part.......after all we let him join our little party smile

Neal
NRA Endowment Life Member.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Just the eating part....which wasn't much of a party.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
But you got somrthing to eat

Neal
NRA Endowment Life Member.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I did mention the bastard part?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Dad and my Grandfather. Dad mostly on the hunting side, but fishing,too. Grampa was the best catfisherman I have ever known - everyone along the river could be getting skunked, everybody except grampa. He could catch kitties when there weren't any to be caught. Gramps was a heck of a fisherman, but I never knew him to hunt. Dad, on the other hand, loved to hunt - pheasants, quail, ducks, geese, rabbits and squirrels. When I was young, there was no deer season in Nebraska, so he picked that up later in life, in his 40s sometime. When Dad was young, they had little money - no, they were poor - and Dad and the other 2 older brothers, were expected to catch fish or shoot something if they were going to have anything for a meal that evening. They had to be very successful because there were 9 in the house and Dad was the oldest of the kids. Outside of the many memories I have of them both, all I have left are 3 of Dad's old guns and 2 old casting reels from Grampa. None of the guns are "worth" much to anyone but me, but I don't care.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Kingthing0307
A little spin off of the who you would want to hunt with here on the 'fire, who is/was your hunting or fishing mentor?

Mine is my wife's uncle. After my wife & I got married, he took me in like family & we've been hunting together ever since (I was new to hunting & had no idea what I was doing!) He's taught me a lot of things about being in the field and life in general and I wouldn't trade anything in the world for the experiences I've had with him and what he has taught me. It has come full circle now as my boy is getting a chance to be out there with us & he killed his first deer out at "the lease" as it is affectionately known. I owe him a huge debt of gratitude!

Unfotunately I had no mentor. I had to learn by myself and still have so many things to learn. I hope I'll learn enough to be someone's mentor some day, and I hope it will be my childrens.

Va t'in tch�re !
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Two guys:

one is a old fraternity brother of mine, who is now an attorney - he grew up in California, but his folks came from OK - he has hunted all his life and was responsible for getting me started.

The other is an older gent I met through a friend who can shoot skeet like its nobody's business. He's a teacher and a football coach, so showing people how to do stuff is in his genes.

I love these two guys for mentoring me and feel I owe them an enormous debt of gratitude. That I enjoy their company as much as I do is just icing on the cake.

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Dad got me started . I started going out fishing with him soon as I could walk, and he was taking me with him small game hunting by the time I was three. He taught me lots more on those trips than I ever realized at the time and the fun we had together couldn't happened anywhere else.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I was self taught for most of my growing up. The first canoe I was ever in I built myself and yes it must have been fun to watch my first trips but that old canoe took me many miles and lasted almost twenty years. I was feeding fish dinners to my family while still in grade school. I swapped and traded until I had an old British Enfield and started trying to hunt. Then I worked six brutal days bucking hay in hundred plus heat to get my first beater shotgun.

Then an old feller named Charlie Bopp in the town of Ballwin, Mo took me under his wing and helped be get a real start. I must have killed a hundred ducks out of his blinds and boat on the Mississippi. I learned about hunting deer from his camps. He has been gone for over 35 years but I can still hear his voice.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The fella in the bottom right of this pic was my main mentor for shooting , fishing retreivers, everything - my father, A.R. "Bob" Todd.
This pic was from '52, it's the C.I.L recreation club shooting team.
[Linked Image]
He was a Canadian team coach and ,manager, team member for the World's, Olympic venue coordinator, and a super hunter.
he was also a top class shooter in all disciplines, something you don't always see - not too many trap shooters who can go 100X100 from the fence, and shoot 3P smallbore in the the master class, as well as any other fire arm you out in their hands!

The man was adamant about practising the basics, be it fly fishing or Palma shooting.
Deer hunting with him was incredible, as was shotgunning for ducks or upland!
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ingwe, that picture is priceless! The perfect mentoring pic. Great shot. Tom

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Dad fished and taught me how. He had never hunted much other than quail and dove and only had a 22 and a Model 12 in 12ga. The quail were mostly gone by the time I got old enough.

He helped me learn to shoot a bit and took me dove hunting whenever he could.

We both learned a bit about deer and turkey from a former pastor.

Beyond that I fell into deer full blast, and Dad never did care for them that much but loved the sausage. He did love shooting turkeys and I got him a good tom before he died luckily. 11 inch beard and big old bird.

From there I wanted to shoot deer with pistol, mz, bow etc.... and had to teach myself how to do the above and how to reload. No one around us ever did any of that. LOTS of mistakes along the way.

You folks should be thankful, those that had real mentors!!!

I didn't mind DIY, and I think its made me better all over, I have to read and research rather than get told or shown a way, right or wrong. And it goes over into my life, I try to do almost everything I can on my own if at all possible, saves money but is always interesting. Spent the day today putting on hidden hinges I've never seen or used before. Chalk up one more thing learned.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

680 members (1minute, 1moredeer, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 16penny, 58 invisible), 2,596 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,846
Posts18,496,943
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.