-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm with Dennis on those "space" blankets. I've had one like he shows for 15 years, and it has been through everything. I use it as the ground cover when tarp camping in the mountains, and it helps to keep the heat with me, and not transferring to the ground.

I've also used it an an emergency poncho once when my son started shivering unexpectedly.

It's rugged and worth every penny.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Very interesting thread, and I've learned a lot. I'll be buying one of the heavier models to carry this year.

I wonder though? For those of y'all that have been in situations where you had to spend an unexpected night in the woods, was there no way to start a fire? Seems like the first thing I'd be doing? I've never been in that situation before. So I have to ask?

Jay

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Jay,

Speaking to my own experience, I did have a fire all night. The heavier space blanket can make a world a difference though in how warm you are, and potentially keep you dry.

Those thin blankets are WORTHLESS in my opinion. The one night I got caught out and had to depend on it, it failed me. That thing was shredded in the first hour and it made for a VERY long night of alternately freezing and nearly burning myself with the fire.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have had one of the original thicker ones since the mid sixties and it is worn but still useful. I do wish it was about 20% larger in both directions as they are just a bit small to burrito wrap my self in. They can make a dandy wind break.

C
C
Just so I can speak on this one.. I am a retired Survival Instructor from Special Forces.

The blanket works for containing body heat but as stated above most people use them once things got bad...

A good suggestion is the candle and vaseline cotton balls.. take aluminum foil and put a cotton ball with a glob of vasealine on it.. fold it up and keep it to start damp stuff with ease.. you can dry your gear with a poncho/suvival blanket and candle. Also, keep a pair of dry socks in a plastic bag. Dry your feet, cover your neck with the dry socks as you change them and allow the heat from the candle to build under that blanket. you can put your shirt over your legs above the candle to dry .. this happens fast when you know what to do.. practice it guys.. the back yard is safe and your brain is working.. wet yourself down and try it.. once cold many die due to the lack of brain power not stamina.. few thoughts. good huntin...

Last edited by Cuernos1; 07/26/09.
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Jay, when I was younger and more stupid, I went skiing in the S. Cascades, drove in on a firm crust and during the day we encountered a wet warm front and thaw that high-centered the truck. Not being much of a 4WD type at the time, I did not have a winch or come-along. We tried to start a fire but the W. side of the Cascades are notoriously wet, especially in March. We had all the stuff, good firestarter and several sources of flame but it wasn't going to happen without a lot of effort at splitting down to dry wood. We were 30 mi. from the nearest town so the solution was obvious to just walk out on the road. We made it to town at sunrise. We stayed warm and dry walking in the constant drizzle. It was an easy, if monotonous, hike out.

Had to pay some guys with monster trucks and balloon wheels who knew what they were doing to tow out the truck.

I agree the little silver blankets are pretty much worthless. I stay far away from them. I rely on a synthetic parka, an oversized cagoule and a small square of ensolite pad. I'm not above cutting boughs if I want to lay down.

Stoves are so small and light nowadays, it makes sense to have them on a daytrip just in case. Fire is great if you don't have to expend much energy making it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is my train of thought on this one. Fire, shelter, water. I dont bother with so called survival equipment. What I carry in my pack is just my equipment. I always have a fire steel and my MLD mini sil tarp. I carry other duel purpose things as well that I could not only use for daily chores but also in a emergency. I use my fire steel for other duties such as lighting my stove, shore lunch, marshmallows, ect. I use my tarp to set meat on, a poncho, pack cover, ect.

In a emergency I could easily use them for survival to get a fire started and wrap up in the tarp. My thoughts are dont just carry stuff to carry it.

The steel was $12 my mini tarp was $45.
Weight of the steel is 1.8oz and tarp 4.4oz.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A guy could get by with a GI poncho and a few matches, and a filter straw, I'd bet.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We had a couple of the sleeping bag heavier emergency bags.

I failed to put down a good layer of branches one night on a night out that was not planned. We didn't start a fire due to elk in the area.... my bad both of them. but it wasn't life threatening. I will say this though, I shivered all night. Finally wrapped the wife and I up in a wool coat I gave her.... And finally doubled the bags and it wasn't good.

Found out that for the same oz of weight we now carry a synthetic bag thats not that great but say 40 degree temps. It has at least some insulation.

Of course the tarp with the silver on one side we carry at least one a piece if not two. Just too many uses. Normally lay one on the bottom of the paratipi to put the mats and bags on. And many other uses including the shown meat butchering...

Now if I wasn't anal about fires and such, the paratipi and mini stove would be about all I'd need and we'd carry it everywhere....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Having 'used' one of the mylar blankets I think they are useless and refuse to carry one. Of the four of us in the party that spent the night out one guy flipped his blanket out and the mylar all fell off and another guy had one of the bag styles and it tore as he got in it. So right off the bat the bags/blankets were batting 0.500. I don�t buy that they reflect any useful amount of heat back at you unless you were naked and then there would be other questions. It was too wet to get a fire going so we endured until the storm passed and light came to walk out. What I learned was �go out the way you went in� from this event.
I carry a giant orange trash bag from Montana DOT for bagging road debris (seen here: http://outdoorsafe.com/cgi-bin/online/storepro.php). They are tougher than the mylar and the bag style allows you to get in the thing. If you need a ground cloth, poncho, lean-to, meat bag, etc they can be versatile and cut open.
I�ve lain out in the rain (comfortably) spotting for game in Alaska under the heavier blanket style but I just haven�t wanted to pack them when not using an atv. Whenever I hunt I also carry vaseline cotton balls, striker, and windproof matches from REI along with my first aid kit. My pack is heavier than most guys� but having been �there� I refuse to be unprepared again.

IC B3

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Not sure if everyone has seen these yet ... just came across them from one of my suppliers so it was news to me ... ordered one in to take a look and really like the idea ...

It is the heavier duty space blanket that many of the guys here have posted and recommended; but it adds a hood to the mix. It is like a combo Space Blanket / Poncho - Hooded All Weather Blanket

[Linked Image]

www.High-Mountain-Outfitters.com

First Lite, Eberlestock, Kenetrek, Hilleberg, Darn Tough, Badlands, Integral Designs and more.

www.AlpineMoto.net

Snowmobile Gear, MotorFist
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
They aren't the space blankets but a Kifaru Woobie is a great survival blanket. It's lighter, warmer, and compress smaller than a poncho liner and they now offer them in two different weights.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Its a great idea and I have one I used during several downpours and works great. For a overnite or a survival sitition they are a little short for my height ( 6' ) to wear the hood and wrap something around my feet to catch some sleep. To use as a poncho it doesnot work well walking unless you bunge around you.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,268
Posts18,486,569
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.