-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 161 of 173 1 2 159 160 161 162 163 172 173
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm thinkin as friend Brad once said, "it's the one you're on the hill with".
As that's the most important thingy anyhow right...?

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
HR IC

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm still more of a 308 guy... one only, I'd take the 308. Paired with something bigger, I'd go 7-08.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Odessa...you might have to go back a couple hundred pages to see anything about calibers and such.... grin
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
I'm thinkin as friend Brad once said, "it's the one you're on the hill with".
As that's the most important thingy anyhow right...?

Dober

You got that right Dober...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My first trout on a Hares Ear wet.

[Linked Image]

My second "catch" - some sort of minnow/chub

[Linked Image]

The River

[Linked Image]

More River

[Linked Image]

The road to Paradise

[Linked Image]

All told I caught 5 this AM, lost another 5, and had quite a few more hits - all by 10:30. I learned a bunch - not the least of which is to learn a better knot. I lost 3 of my 5 fishies when the fly came untied or knot broke. I also discovered a 9 ft rod doesn't mesh well with overhanging trees. I did figure out a nifty sidearm cast that put the fly perpendicular to the bank, with a downstream belly. Started catching trout in that spot after I figured that little trick. All told, very enjoyable. I have a few days scheduled next week - some of it will be on the 'Crick. cool

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very cool, I'll not forget my first fish on a fly rod.

Thx 4 sharing

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Pretty sweet...hope you're "hooked"... wink
My first try with a fly rod was to wade out as far as I could in the Yellowstone river ( so I couldn't snag anything important on my back cast..) I flogged the water and literally caught a limit of trout on a downstream wet fly ( then 10) many of which while I was standing there cussing and untangling my line! laugh
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well... I took my rain gear on my scouting trip today, but I should've built an Ark while I was in the woods.

Lesseeeee...
[Linked Image]

They forgot the "Under Truck Hood" directions laugh
[Linked Image]

"Knead pouch every 5 minutes or 5 miles, open and eat a really bad meal..."

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dan; I thought I was the only one that did that, or set the can of beanie weenies on the manifold.....
Got away from the MREs pretty quick...my PD shooting pard said he would " take care" of lunch one day, and shows up with MREs...
I have "taken care" of lunch ever since....
That freeze-dried beer...Yuk! laugh
Ingwe

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by bwinters
My first trout on a Hares Ear wet.

[Linked Image]

My second "catch" - some sort of minnow/chub

[Linked Image]

The River

[Linked Image]

More River

[Linked Image]

The road to Paradise

[Linked Image]

All told I caught 5 this AM, lost another 5, and had quite a few more hits - all by 10:30. I learned a bunch - not the least of which is to learn a better knot. I lost 3 of my 5 fishies when the fly came untied or knot broke. I also discovered a 9 ft rod doesn't mesh well with overhanging trees. I did figure out a nifty sidearm cast that put the fly perpendicular to the bank, with a downstream belly. Started catching trout in that spot after I figured that little trick. All told, very enjoyable. I have a few days scheduled next week - some of it will be on the 'Crick. cool

Very, very cool.

And, you now know why 6'6" to 7'6" rods are a boon to eastern stream fisherman.

Damn, I need to do that............... and very, very soon.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey Dan you could probably sit on that MRE and not have to stop ever 5 miles laugh

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ingwe,
Just curious, are you talking about the same Hawken? That sure would be cool to send a round ball downrange with that rifle.

Dan,
You should do a cooking show on the Food Channel. You could call it, "It'll make a turd." Still thinking about that dutch oven 'za about 50 pages back.....sounds good, but I'd have to be packing Tums for desert.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Whip; Yes, I am...the very same...cool story, I'll tell you about it some time...offline grin

Gonna go in today for a minor outpatient procedure on a foot I busted up years ago....but its gonna keep me from wading for about ten days.... frown
Krapp! and Ive got some new hopper flies that have never seen the water!
Ingwe

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
VA - if your still in VA, especially western VA - them trouts ain't that far from you.................

If I knew what I was doing, I would have caught 20-25 on Sunday AM. That was my first ever flyfishing trip and the learning curve were a bit steep the first couple of hours blush

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a smaller trout stream ~ 20 minutes from home. Been looking at 7.5-8 foot rods. That can't be a good thing wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like you've done been hooked!!! And don't worry, the learning curve isn't too steep for too long...it's really pretty easy after a while. I wish I could have done what you did first time I picked up a fly rod. I think it was a few trips before I even caught one on the fly, but I've never looked back and though, when I'm with my boys or fishing for steelhead I still throw junk, it's just not as fun as flyfishing. Have fun!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Its just like Jesus said...

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day..

Teach a man to fly-fish, and he'll give the neighbor kid 10 bucks every Saturday to mow his lawn...

laugh

Ingwe, sucks to hear about your foot, hopefully it won't keep you from wasting time on the 'net wink

I'm Irish...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
bwinters....

Almost forgot, if you're breaking knots or they're coming untied, it sounds like you're not spitting on it before you pull it tight and burning your line???

I'm Irish...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A few perch my buddy and I caught on a local lake Saturday morning. Note the purple tactical 12" ruler.......
[Linked Image]

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
bad - can fish see that color? You'd probably catch more fish if you used a black ruler........... <g>

Page 161 of 173 1 2 159 160 161 162 163 172 173

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 61 invisible), 2,472 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,454
Posts18,489,678
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.