Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I've had it a time or two. I'd definately eat it again.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by rattler
hmmmm seems not to long ago it said the reverse.....

The regulations got less restrictive? Doubt that. I don't ever remember anyone saying they've had to keep the meat.

I've had it once and while tasty, my mind kept telling me it was "weird."

wonder where in the hell i got that idea from then......maybe from hearing how so many ppl think its good meat my 2 brain cells bouncing around must decided the regs said yah gotta keep it since i was planning to if i ever get around to shooting one....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
rattler- maybe happened when the bear requirement changed?

ETA- just for clarification, I meant maybe the confusion happened when it became required to remove bear meat from the field, not that lion meat also had to be kept starting the same time bear meat did.

Last edited by Whttail_in_MT; 07/28/09.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have eaten Mt. Lion on several ocassions..Fried the back straps up and gave them a big dose of Pico de Gallo, with flour tortillas or biscuits, pinto beans and/or white gravy, just can't get much better than that..It is very light pinkish meat and clean looking..I also tried a Bobcat once, that was enough, it wasn't particularly good and I never gave it another chance...

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have three friends who have eaten about everything that swims, flies or runs on four legs from southern AZ to northern Canada and they all say mountain lion is some of the best meat they've had. They say once you get over the fact that you're eating a cat, it's kind of like really good pork chops.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mr. idahostalker;
I�ll add another voice to the folks who�ve liked eating mountain lion the couple times I�ve tried it at game banquets and such.

We have no shortage of good cats in these parts but I�ve yet to catch the fever to get one for myself. I am glad there are enough interested cat hunters that are motivated to do so however.

I thought the texture of the meat was perhaps like a cross between domestic turkey breast and pork, with a very mild flavor.

A taxidermist friend of mine who�s now passed on used to love eating the tail meat, which of course he�d usually get because most folks didn�t skin the tail before dropping it off at his shop. He claimed it was the most tender.

I�ve always thought it was rather amazing that the mountain lion meat tasted so good considering most of them are chased a fair ways with hounds before being shot. My gut feeling is if most of us chased deer in the same way as cougars, they wouldn�t be too tasty.

Anyway, if you have a chance to try it, by all means do so.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've eaten it many times. I think it's about half way between chicken and pork.

Who couldn't like something halfway between Colonel Sanders and an Egg McMuffin?

Maybe I should re-phrase that? smirk

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Have any of you noticed that in the west we don't eat animals that eat meat? Dogs and cats are not on my menu.

Kung Pao Meow indeed...

When a column of troops under Lt. Col. Francis Smith moved into the countryside to collect arms and munitions gathered by the patriot militia, hostilities erupted at Lexington and Concord on Apr. 19, 1775.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Okay, I have the next door neighbor's persian. How do I cook it?

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Just like you would a Siamese.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BC game regulations have a trichinosis warning regarding cougar meat. Same as bear, always make sure it's well cooked.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not just good, but very good. The other white meat.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sir_springer
BC game regulations have a trichinosis warning regarding cougar meat. Same as bear, always make sure it's well cooked.

For some reason, that reminds me of a passage in one of my favorite trapping-era books. Journal of a Trapper - 1834-1843 tells about Osborne Russell (the author) and a half-dozen friends. They were about starved and one of them had killed a grizzly.

They put the meat in a pot and sat around in the cold and watched it cook. Then, they elected "the most honest among us" to determine when the meat was cooked enough.

I laughed and laughed when I read that line.

Good read, by the way, and I recommend it highly.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

So you're saying, I should use a Wok?

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+ 2

Fine grained superb taste and texture. Cougar medallions of tenderloin fried with eggs make a superb day-after-the-hunt celebration breakfast. The best way I've eaten it was grilled chops served in mushroom sauce.

The other, other white meat.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

So you're saying, I should use a Wok?

Dan

Kung Pao Meow best in wok...plenty hot oil...slip down throat easy...

When a column of troops under Lt. Col. Francis Smith moved into the countryside to collect arms and munitions gathered by the patriot militia, hostilities erupted at Lexington and Concord on Apr. 19, 1775.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My cousin shot a Cougar last year, and brought me some backstrap. I cooked it up just like venison. Turned out to be the BEST meat I've ever ate! Glad I got to try it!
Virgil B.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think you guys just like talking about "puzzy" and "tail." I bet nobody here has even tried mountain lion. wink

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If its anything like cougar ........its probably salty!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And if you don't like it, dogs do. They like rabbit and deer in any form, even recycled. grin (Lots of trapped lynx carcasses don't go to waste on our dogs - hey, they relish even [especially] the guts.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

135 members (44mc, AlleghenyMountain, 7887mm08, 6mmCreedmoor, 10Glocks, AceBall, 15 invisible), 1,642 guests, and 1,037 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,449
Posts18,528,839
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.