Hop To
Page 162 of 173 1 2 160 161 162 163 164 172 173
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Sand/Tan/Coyote is the new tactical color.

Black is sooooo Clinton era . . grin

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Hey Dan - possibly stupid question - what type knot to use for a 6X tippet and size 12-16 flies? I've used a clinch knot for 30+ years with nary an issue. After losing the second fly/fish, I went to an improved clinch which worked for 3-4 fish but then lost the last fish of the AM.

Any difference in knots when going to dinky size 20-22 flies?

Anyone feel free to offer knot advice - or any other tips for that matter.

Thanks.

BTW: I always either spit on the knot or run it in the water to lubricate. I doubt it's getting burnt. I think its coming untied........ Looks like it.

I dig this thread grin

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The purple ruler is "Tacticool"....
Perch look yummy...and I'm not much of a fish eater...
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Did I mention that I have Weds through Sun off this week? Wanna bet I catch another trout or three this week <g>

In fact, have the family talked into camping in the campground ~ 1 mile from where I was fishing last weekend. I can be on the "spot" by daylight, catch a few and be back in camp before the wife and daughter wake up. I'll bet I can even sneak in an evening fish as well.

Why didn't I discover flyfishing earlier in life?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by DanAdair

Ingwe, sucks to hear about your foot, hopefully it won't keep you from wasting time on the 'net wink

Dan...its a minor thing, my plan is to be in the water a week from Tuesday...but Ive been told I gotta wear my flyweights....can't get the sacred foot wet...
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by bwinters
I can be on the "spot" by daylight, catch a few and be back in camp before the wife and daughter wake up. I'll bet I can even sneak in an evening fish as well.

Why didn't I discover flyfishing earlier in life?

One thing you may find out about trout, they get up when the bugs are moving...they'll often sleep in till 9;00 am or so...kinda like college kids. So soon as you figure your locals out..you can sleep in too... wink

Don't neglect other species with your flyrod, bream are a RIOT on popping bugs in the evening, or big ugly sinking nymphs in midday....( Taste good too...) grin
Ingwe

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dan,
What's the scoop with your barrel? They gonna make it right?

Ingwe,
Just walk on top of the water. I've heard it can be done (grin).

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Whip

Ingwe,
Just walk on top of the water. I've heard it can be done (grin).

I thought only Obama could do that...and he doesn't fly fish...What a waste! grin
Shure would be handy though...I 'spose if I quit being so mean to Dan..I might be able to do it..... wink
Ingwe

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey Dan - possibly stupid question - what type knot to use for a 6X tippet and size 12-16 flies? I've used a clinch knot for 30+ years with nary an issue. After losing the second fly/fish, I went to an improved clinch which worked for 3-4 fish but then lost the last fish of the AM.

Any difference in knots when going to dinky size 20-22 flies?

Anyone feel free to offer knot advice - or any other tips for that matter.

Thanks.

BTW: I always either spit on the knot or run it in the water to lubricate. I doubt it's getting burnt. I think its coming untied........ Looks like it.

I dig this thread grin

Try 4x smile

No really its easy to pop 6x by setting the hook too hard. Move up your tippet size up a bit. With size 12-16 you should be fine with 4x. If you need to use 6x for spooky fish set it easy. Its probably not your knot but you could try a turle knot.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Funny you mention that. I was talking with one of my friends about that last night - he went to a 5X to keep from braking his line at the fly.

I still honestly think its coming untied. I hook the fish and then they simply swim away with my fly. We're talking 9-12" trout.

IC B3

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I still honestly think its coming untied. I hook the fish and then they simply swim away with my fly. We're talking 9-12" trout.

That happens to me a lot too.

Big Fish just swim away with my fly.

Oddly this only happens when I am alone. wink

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, I haven't heard from them yet. They said it was going to the front of the line. Last time I heard that, I got the 2nd barrel in 5-6 weeks frown I'll call them before I head off to work.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
KK is right...

I like using 4x tippet on most of my stuff, even the LW stuff in my collection. Even on the 3W lines I've ran, a heavier tippet seems to help the fly "roll out" of the cast and not slap the water so hard.

Spooky trout are going to see your line on the water no matter what. If I know ones in there, I'll false cast over him 5-6 times and damn near touch the fly on the water. Then when I set it down, I make SURE I lead with the fly...

I'm Irish...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Honest B!

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Honest B!

wink

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
In the spirit of not letting this thread die...I'm sitting here with a bum foot...getting better, good enough to wade one week from now...hell or high water...and I'm gonna pull out all the stops, and take hardware and flyrod....not takin' any prisoners...literally....as mentioned, not much of a fish eater( unless it has a shell or a claw!) and I'm gonna go looking for some 'o these...
[Linked Image]
or maybe some of these..
[Linked Image]
or maybe even these...
[Linked Image]
Yeah, I'm tired of sitting around the house with this foot propped up...I'm bored...and anxious to get on the water! cry
Ingwe

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Then in that case, find the ultimate pic of a French Maid and post it here laugh

I'm Irish...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dan...will this work...I really am bored..
[Linked Image]
Ingwe wink

Last edited by ingwe; 07/29/09.

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by DanAdair
Then in that case, find the ultimate pic of a French Maid and post it here laugh

Trashy:

[Linked Image]

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Or classy:

[Linked Image]

Page 162 of 173 1 2 160 161 162 163 164 172 173

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (01Foreman400, 2003and2013, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 54 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,463
Posts18,489,835
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.