Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Any predictions on this upcoming match? Could be a war imo. Silva has great precision but Forrest has a great chin and is one tough sob. Also looking forward to BJs match.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Griffin. Silva has looked near unbeatable on his feet. Slightly less so off his back. I think FG is good enough to beat him on his feet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll take Silva, but he's going to have to work for it much more than he did in his last two bouts. He did just enough to win (& not get hurt) in his last matches, but in this one he'll have a tiger by the tail and it ought to be a totally different ballgame, so to speak.

I'd like to see BJ win his match, though I don't think it'll be an easy win, as Florian is no joke.

I'm looking forward to seeing Kendall Grove fight again.

Was really looking forward to the Affliction card this w'end, but I see it got cancelled. I suppose that should make it easier for the UFC to bring Fedor into their fold. At least I hope so.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'll take Forrest in this one as I think he'll press Silva like he's never been pressed...

I'll also take Florian as I think he has the drive. He is a totally different fighter now than he was the first time.

Hope WCB chimes in...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Forrest is a Big Strong Tough Guy.

Silva is fast but moving up a weight class--that did not work so well for BJ Penn (a$$ whupped).

Tough choice.

I will be at Father/Son Camp (Cubscouts) that weekend so I will miss the fight.

I am ready for Fedor to whup on Lesnar in the fall though.

UFC has sworn to sign him, no matter what.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am ready for Fedor to whup on Lesnar in the fall though

You and me both.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by BMT
Forrest is a Big Strong Tough Guy.

Silva is fast but moving up a weight class--that did not work so well for BJ Penn (a$$ whupped).
BMT

Yeah... ask James Irvin how that moving up a weight class worked out for Silva. What was that... like a 1 minute distruction where Irvin didn't land a punch and Silva landed about 15... all hard shots to the face.

Silva should handle Forrest... I don't think Forrest has the chin that folkscredit him with... he can take a lot of damage, but a bomb is still a bomb, and Silva is relentless. Lets keep in mind that Griffin is similar in style to Rich Franklin, a pressing gunslinger, former champ, with a decent chin and some wars under his belt... Silva murdered Franklin both times they fought... seriously, he should be doing 25 to Life for what he did to Rich.

I think a better fight would have been Griffin vs. Franklin... same type of fighter, and one's a lefty.

I can see Florian beating BJ... but only if BJ has decided to pack it in. After the GSP fight I have to question BJ's drive... he's a legend, but he doesn't seem to have the all out approach that the real animals have. I don't see GSP getting beat any time soon... but 170s is a tough division... Kampman, Condit, Swick... there's a lot of tough dudes in 170s waiting for a shot.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like Forrest in this fight, he has shown that he can come up big in big fights (Rampage, Shogun) that know one gives him a chance in. Forrest will train hard and spend alot of time on his foot work, he will not make a mistake in the ring but even then it might not be enough. I hope he does win but this will not be a 1 round knock out either way.

I also see Florian wearing BJ down just like GSP, BJ will quit in either the 4th or 5th round.

A lap dance is sooooo much better when the stripper is crying
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Silva will submit Forrest, the guy is just to smart to try and swing with him like Rampage and Shogun did.

If BJ actually trains he will win. However you never know where that guys head is. After his last fight you would think he would have his game face on.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hamr56
Silva will submit Forrest, the guy is just to smart to try and swing with him like Rampage and Shogun did.

If BJ actually trains he will win. However you never know where that guys head is. After his last fight you would think he would have his game face on.

Yeah BJ is awesome when he comes in great shape.

MOLON LABE
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 270LightningBLR
I like Forrest in this fight, he has shown that he can come up big in big fights (Rampage, Shogun) that know one gives him a chance in. Forrest will train hard and spend alot of time on his foot work, he will not make a mistake in the ring but even then it might not be enough. I hope he does win but this will not be a 1 round knock out either way.

I also see Florian wearing BJ down just like GSP, BJ will quit in either the 4th or 5th round.

Well one thing is for sure, Forrest is not stupid and he knows what kind of challenge this is. You better believe he will be in the shape of his life.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm going with Forrest in this one,and here is why.

Now first of all,Anderson is the smarter pick.Anderson is the better striker-the WAY better striker.He hits harder too,regardless of weight class.Anderson also has a cast iron chin-he's never been rocked in a fight,ever.

BUT,here's the thing everyone has been looking over-Forrest Griffin is without a doubt the best guy that Anderson Silva has ever faced in his career.Anderson has faced great guys in the past-Franklin,Hendo,Marquardt-but Forrest is a Top 3 Light Heavyweight.That's a BIG step up from fighting a Top 5 185 pounder,no matter how you cut it.

And you can't compare this to the James Irvin fight.James Irvin is a B- level fighter at best.That fight was put together at the last minute to draw viewers away from Affliction's first pay per view card.Everyone knew that Anderson was going to punch Irvin in the face,and Irvin was going to roll over and die.

As for how Forrest will beat Anderson-I think Forrest will play it smart.He's got Randy Couture coaching him,and they both know what is needed to beat Anderson-take him down.Everyone who has taken Anderson down has done pretty well.....exsept they freeze up.They don't want to go for anything,because they're nervous about loosing the position or just nervous period.Anderson's guard is incredibly easy to pass-both Travis Lutter and Dan Henderson cut through it like a knife through hot butter,and Henderson isn't exactly a BJJ wiz.Both had good enough positions to stop Anderson-Lutter got mount,Hendo got side control and could have easily went to mount since Anderson wasn't blocking it-but Lutter blew it and Hendo just laid there.Marquardt was doing ok on the ground against Anderson as well,but he wasn't going for anything and got stood up.

Now Forrest and Randy know that they aren't going to win a kickboxing match with Anderson Silva.Anderson is faster,has better more precise striking,and hits way harder.He is also pretty much impossible to hurt.But they can win a grappling match with Silva.This fight is only 3 rounds.That means to win,all Forrest has to do is get top position and stay busy,land some decent ground and pound and go for a sub or two maybe,for the majority of 2 rounds.Forrest's ground game is pretty under rated-before he came to the UFC,he was actually known for his grappling,and he submitted or pounded out most of his opponents back then.He only stood up with Bonnar in that classic fight because he respected his BJJ so much,and after that he was kind of stuck with the "brawler" image.But he's a very,very good top position grappler.He trained a bunch with Jacare,who's one of the best BJJ guys in the world (and also trains with Anderson Silva,of all people),and Jacare says Forrest is one of the best guys he's ever rolled with.That's some HIGH praise right there.

So here's how I see the fight playing out-they come out,trade a little,Forrest bullies Anderson into the clinch and gets some sort of takedown from there after struggling to avoid the Thai plumb.From there,Forrest probably does a Randy Couture special and sits in half guard,and starts pecking away from there.He doesn't do anything spectacular on the ground,but stays busy enough.Rinse,wash and repeat,with a few scary moments on the feet for Forrest when he's trying to get takedowns early in the rounds.Forrest wins a decision that is most likely 29/28,30/27 and 30/27.

Or,Anderson could just come out and beat him like a red headed step child.WTF do I know?

As for Kenny and BJ-interesting fight,and it's going to be a close one.I'm learning twards BJ,only due to the fact that Kenny has a bad track record with strong grapplers,and BJ is without a doubt the best grappler he's ever fought.I think BJ gets him down and just beats the hell out of him,ends up getting the body triangle and finishes Kenny with a rear naked choke in the second or third round.Then again,Kenny could wear out BJ with his pace,and scramble like hell every time the fight hit the mat.Kenny is no joke and he'll give a good accounting of himself in the cage.I'm really looking forward to this fight as well.

WB.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I totaly agree, Forrest is a very smart fighter and he will not make any stupid mistakes in the ring. He no doubt will be in the best shape ever and I think he will suprise some people win or loose. Reguardless of the outcome he will always be a fan favorite because he works hard and is always entertaining.

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I see Anderson beating Forest badly. He will prove to be too fast,precise, and skilled for Forest.
Anderson's past two fights performance means nothing in this fight. It was his opponents fighting scared and defensively only that took the aggressiveness out of him. Forest was chosen because he will not do this and couple that with the fact Andersons looking to prove he still has it and I see a brutal beat down for Forest.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I bet it'll be a lot closer than you think. I also wish it was 5 rounds.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
this is a good card.

with penn, it depends on whether his head's in the fight. it's all mental with him.

with griffin/silva, it depends on whether silva mails it in. he's been distracted lately, it seems to me. too good for his own good? he really IS that good, but silva may be getting bored.

griffin is, well griffin. this fight could be a dandy with silva waking up late in the second round, and the two of 'em scrapping like transformers until the end of the third.

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fish30ought6
with penn, it depends on whether his head's in the fight. it's all mental with him.

Although I understand where you're coming from with that statement, I always kinda thought it was his heart actually. Don't get me wrong because I tend to like BJ. I think he's always had the talent and perspective but it depends on how hard he works up to the fight. When he's in shape, he's next to impossible to beat. When he's out of gas by the 3rd round, it's over.

Of course this is so easy to talk about. When BJ is working out lazy, he's still doing 10 times more than most of us. The difference is that it is their job to have world class conditioning.

MOLON LABE
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Actually, their job is to entertain us.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
Originally Posted by fish30ought6

Although I understand where you're coming from with that statement, I always kinda thought it was his heart actually. Don't get me wrong because I tend to like BJ. I think he's always had the talent and perspective but it depends on how hard he works up to the fight. When he's in shape, he's next to impossible to beat. When he's out of gas by the 3rd round, it's over.

Of course this is so easy to talk about. When BJ is working out lazy, he's still doing 10 times more than most of us. The difference is that it is their job to have world class conditioning.

Again I have to agree with you, BJ showed his true colors in his last fight with GSP. After all the trash talk and calling GSP "a quitter" he was the one who couldnt answer the final bell. He is a guy that has alot of natural ability and he got by with it for a long time but eventually he was surpased by guys who were willing to work harder. If BJ had the same work ethic as GSP or Forrest he would be unstopable, instead he has the same ethic as Liddel and we all know what has happened to "The Ice Man" as of late.

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 270LightningBLR
BJ showed his true colors in his last fight with GSP. After all the trash talk and calling GSP "a quitter" he was the one who couldnt answer the final bell.

I watched the fight. From where I sat, BJ got dinged by GSP HARD in the second round and never could recover.

By the end of the 4th, he seemed very fuzzy headed. I think his corner made the right call.

It was all over, the 5th round would only bring brain damage.

BMT

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 60 invisible), 2,382 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,268
Posts18,486,569
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.