Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Does anyone have experience with Wolf Match Target and Wolf Match Extra? Just wondering what kind of difference I could expect to see between the two.....thanks.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
There are varying opinions out there. Some say that they are the same thing, with the Match Extra being those lots that prove best in testing. Others say that there is so little difference as to be meaningless, so why not shoot the less expensive stuff. Still others say that certain lots of Match Target are actually better.

I had recent experience with a brick of MT, and three different lots of ME. I did not shoot enough to claim a statistically valid test, but I did get excellent groups with the MT. There seemed to be significant differences between the lots of ME, one excellent, one good, and one just terrible. Unfortunately I took the bad stuff to a major match out of state, and it cost me. Next time I'll do my testing beforehand, and take enough of a single lot of the best ammo.

There is much more difference among lots than most shooters realize. Probably more so with the cheaper kinds. Sometimes you find a really good lot of the cheap stuff.

It pays to test.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have gotten excellent groups with the Match Extra - my best 5 shot group at 50 yards was .108. The brick of Match Target gave very good groups but would have more flyers, so my opinion is that the Match Extra is more consistent, perhaps due to more QC atention. I have not yet tried weighing and sorting the rounds, which is the next step when I have time.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Paul, which one is more expensive, target or extra?

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

L
LAR Offline
L
I bought some match target for use in my M52's and was not impressed. I have yet to try the extra and will pick some up at the upcoming Reno show. I have a friend that said out of his Rem. 37, the MT shoots as well as Eley 10X. This is at 50 yards, which I see as no test at all. A true test would be at 100 to 200 yards. Almost any 22 ammo will group favorably out of a HB target rifle of any brand at 50 yards. I shoot all my target rifles at 100 yards and will give the MT a try. LAR

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've tried Wolf Match Target and Match Extra through a bunch of guns
Marlin39A
Win75
CZ452
Brno3
BSA/Martini MkIII
Match Extra is consistently better (should be for the extra $20/brick).
SK/Jagd is supposed to be the same as Wolf and is consistently less money. In my comparisons $$ for $$ SK shoots better than Wolf. I'd try to find some SK Rifle Match or Pistol Match (Long Rifle) instead of the Wolf Match Extra.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is at 50 yards, which I see as no test at all.

Ouch. Sorry, but some ammo will shoot better at 50 and would thus also shoot better at 100. Our matches are at 50 yards - that is why I practice at that range. The difference may not be as evident, but a group in the .100s versus a group in the .300s at 50 is important to me.

Almost any 22 ammo will group favorably out of a HB target rifle of any brand at 50 yards.

Not really. PMC Target is good for a half-inch or more 10-shot group at 50. Eley 10X, Midas L, Wolf Match Extra, etc. are much better. I guess it depends on what you consider good enough.

Derby - The Match Extra is more expensive.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I think I would have to disagree about the 50-yd distance not being a test. Grab your rifle and ammo and find a rimfire benchrest shoot and see how hard that little circle/dot is to "kill" at 50 yds.

An Old Pilot, but Not A Bold Pilot
"Pig-murderin' Fool"
T
T
Originally Posted by dustoffer
I think I would have to disagree about the 50-yd distance not being a test. Grab your rifle and ammo and find a rimfire benchrest shoot and see how hard that little circle/dot is to "kill" at 50 yds.

I agree. Where I live, I have very high wind. With my CZ452 Silhouette and bulk ammo, I am still trying to get below 3/4" groups. As it is I usually get around 1" groups. Part of it is me, part of it is the wind, part of it is the ammo... smile

(This isn't with a benchrest, though - that's a bit boring to me. Just bags, a wobbly table, and me)

Last edited by true; 07/28/09.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My .22 rimfire shooting is almost entirely done at 50 yards or less. That is mainly informal target shooting and small game hunting. Shooting a .22 at 200 yards seems rather pointless to me. I've used much WMT ammo over the past few years and I like it a lot. The Extra does seem to have a slight accuracy edge in a couple of my rifles, but is harder to find and as previously stated in another post, is more expensive. Most of my ammo needs are well served with WMT. YMMV.

μολὼν λαβέ
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My .22 rimfire shooting is almost entirely done at 50 yards or less. That is mainly informal target shooting and small game hunting. Shooting a .22 at 200 yards seems rather pointless to me. I've used much WMT ammo over the past few years and I like it a lot. The Extra does seem to have a slight accuracy edge in a couple of my rifles, but is harder to find and as previously stated in another post, is more expensive. Most of my ammo needs are well served with WMT. YMMV.

μολὼν λαβέ
L
LAR Offline
L
Didn't mean to ruffle feathers here.50 yards is really for pistols in my mind, and my M52's and 40X's are meant to be shot at 200 yards. I have my own 100 yard range and that is where I do my accuracy shooting. I save the 50 yard line for my 22 plinkers. 10-22's Winchester M69's and M72's. LAR

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Like all 22's some will like match target better than match extra and vice versa. I have a Kimber Super America that will only shoot Match Target to my satisfaction, Match Extra is not as good in that gun even though its more money. Im my CZ452 it shoots great but Fed 510's are not all that far behind so I shoot the cheeper ammo.

I have never had a 22 that would not shoot Wolf MT great, seems the more picky the gun the better they like it.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have gotten great accuracy out of Wolf Match Extra ammo, in fact it's My "go to" ammo while in the squirrel woods or on the target range, I've shot it through a bunch of different 22 LR's and not seen a rifle yet that didn't at least like it and most loved it plus it's not nearly as pricey as some.........Give it a try and good luck.............547.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Except for my old Winchester 52 (it has real champagne tastes with Eley)

It has taken me hundreds of rounds with my 40X off of a bench to tell mush difference with Wolf match and Wolf extra. Yes the extra is tighter grouping in my 40X. This is with everything going for a rifle. Wind flags, better trigger, (Jewell trigger) 36X Leupold scope. The best of rest and bags. For a match I pick the Extra in my 40X, but all rifles don't like the same fodder. You just have to do lots of testing to know what works best in your rile.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Thanks for all the input guys.....I'll make sure and try some out!!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
to be honest you have to check it by buying different lots and testting it. if you find a lot of mt that shoots get that lot. if you find a lot of me that shoots buy it. i have found more fliers in the mt no matter how well it shot.

to be totally honest if you are shooting wolf mt/me in matches your not getting all you can out of the rifle. try the higher end lapua or eley eps. i shoot eley and lapua in matches. it depends on how hot it is that day and the humidity.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
That's about the truth of it.

A friend of mine recently watched a guy with a new high end .22 getting frustrated shooting mediocre groups with Federal 711. My friend gave him a box of Eley to try, and after seeing the groups he shot with it the guy thought he had died and gone to heaven. He had been muttering about getting a new barrel.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Paul39
That's about the truth of it.

A friend of mine recently watched a guy with a new high end .22 getting frustrated shooting mediocre groups with Federal 711. My friend gave him a box of Eley to try, and after seeing the groups he shot with it the guy thought he had died and gone to heaven. He had been muttering about getting a new barrel.

Paul

There's reason Eley cost so much eh, Paul.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

324 members (1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 48 invisible), 17,137 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,878
Posts18,538,074
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
5 hours ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.