-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Old NO and the Ranger have done arrived at the Happy Hunting grounds in Wyo. Much game sighted and many plans made. NO is flying about six inches off the ground due to a serious engagement with Mr Evan Williams. Me, Doug, Debbie and Coydog is trying to hold him down from decimatint the deer, antilope bears lions and thinks look dark at the moment. Futher reports may or may not follow.<BR>BCR <P>PS don't believe anything they tell you, no is alive and well and waiting for opening day Monday, Doug and Debbie are top of the line, very down to earth real people like me. Many animals seen so far, Evan is winning, going to bed. We are sitting around the kitchen table lieing. See you after the hunt. Debbie a great cook, Doug lies as much as Boggy, Coydog a great hunter and knows more than JJ ABOUT BEAR HUNTING.

Quando Omni Moritati
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Can't figure out who's posting, Evan or Boggy. Evan, I think -- he spells better.<P>I'll keep my eyes on the news channel for highlights.<P>Talus

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Talus,-- old "no" is under the weather or table right now, please over look any typing errors or discrepencys for the moment. When I can see this keyboard things will improve, probably tomorrow. We are having a great time, going to the bar tomorrow night and shoot pool then to the field and shoot game if I can get Boggy out of bed before noon. Doug and Debbie are home folks, book a hunt if you like real folks. -- no

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MAN.... I thought the idea behind fishing or hunting trips was to get away from stuff like TVs, phones and computers! Besides, how are we supposed to gossip about you guys while you're monitering what we say? The nerve of some people! [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] <P>This reminds me of the commersial for cell phones a few years ago. Guy in waders in a mountain stream fishing for Trout. You hear a beep, he pulls out a phone and starts giving financial advice. <P>If I were with that guy, they'd find him on the bottom of that creek with a cell phone in his throat. [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] <P>Now quit bothering us and enjoy your vacation!<BR>7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
NOTICE I am not making these posts. I was the only one in shape to remember what his password was !!! [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] <BR>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are y'all whackin and stackin elk?? I hope you guys get into a covey of them! Has ole' NO got the .270, .35, or .338?<P>Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
no here, -- Boggy got a eleven point this morning at dawn and coy dog got a seven point. no found out how much air is around a deers head running, refused a Texas heart shot. Having a great time, going back out this evening to see if they can find me one standing broadside about 50 yards off the road,(trail). Been watching a deer crossing sign on the highway but nothing yet. --- Boggy signed in on bcats puter and we are using his handle, just wait till tonight if I can fight bcat off the keyboard. Last night Boggy bought steaks at the Wolf Hotel in Saratoga, high class stuff, I haven't found a McDonalds yet but still looking. <BR>-- no [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img]

Quando Omni Moritati
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Well Sonnie and Boggy are on their way home. They left yesterday evening about 5:30 pm for the lone star state. Sonny is a Kool old fart with a twinkle in his eye that wont quit. Boggy is a quiet type of fella that only talks when he can make ya laugh. Both fellas are top of the line folks and I had a great time with them. I certainly hope I can get down there sometime soon to go hog hunting or fishing or something with them. Me and Coydog are holding down the fort, I think he may be going home this afternooon. He is a great guy, with a mindset kinda like mine. He was the winner of the hunt raffle we had last winter. Anyway lifelong friendships were made, in person finally, and I sure had a great time with all of them. I am sure the boys will tell theitr own stories when they get to their own computer. Sonnie was feeling a little under the weather with the high altitude when he left I hope they make it home safe and sound probably sometime this evening or tomorrow. Hollar at me when ya get there One of you two guys OK. bcat

If you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes [img]http://www.hunttalk.com/icon/bcatrunningcat.gif.com/boykin][/img] <BR><A HREF="http://www.huntandlodge.com/Boykin/outfitter.html" TARGET=_blank>Boykin's Hunting <B>Homepage</B> </A>
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I just thought I should say a few words about Coydoggy for one, and then about SOnnie and Boggie... Coydog is a first class fella. He is just as I expected and we found out we had many htings in common including multiple relationships with women and raisoing kids on our own. Along with truck driving etc. Terry won the hunt raffle, and a more deserved person could not have been hand picked to be the winner. We had a few laughs about the whole thing and how some acused us of a rigged drawing etc.....TERRY COYDOG is a man of his word, and a first class friend. He is a cooler head than I am, but he is defiantely top of the line folks. Our hunt together didnt last long enuff but it wont be the last hunt together either. Hope ya bring the whole family next year Terry. He killed a nice buck deer, and an antelope, and the only regrets we both had was that it was to short of a time together. Terry is a family man like myself and just like I was on my sheep hunt got a little homesick, and I am sure I know why. He has a wonderful wife like my wife debbie and some fine kids to get home to.....Cant blame a guy for that.....Terry I really enjoyed the hunt, and cant wait for the next one when we can do it again.Thanks for a great time Terry.<BR>SOnnie better know as "NO" on many forums is the sharpest, koolest ol fart in Texas.......I think I altready said it once somewhere but he has a twinkle in his eye that wont quit. He came out here telling me all he wanted wqas for Boggie to get a deer and have a great time, and his unselfish manner and sense of humor kept us going for the whole trip. Sonnie I cant say enuff good things about you and Boggie. I hope we get to hunt together someday soon even if it is a midget whitetail or a hog in Texas......Bogggie Creek Ranger , was a class act . He is a down to earth Ranch fella just like myself. Although a little more reserved in words than I am , when he said something it was fact or he had ya busted out laughing one or the other. He never said whooooo in a bad spot (LOL) and enjoyed giving Sonnie a bad time whenever the oportunity arrised... Boggie I really want to meet the rest of your family and do a hunt of somekind with you guys in Texas in the near future. Thanks to all of you guys for making the first few days of deer season so enjoyable for all of us. Thanks for the steak diner at the Wolf Hotel also, that was very special, and we do appreciate it. I hope you guys had as good a time as we did, and do keep in touch. Thanks again. bcat <BR>* If you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes *<BR> Boykin's Hunting Homepage

If you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes [img]http://www.hunttalk.com/icon/bcatrunningcat.gif.com/boykin][/img] <BR><A HREF="http://www.huntandlodge.com/Boykin/outfitter.html" TARGET=_blank>Boykin's Hunting <B>Homepage</B> </A>
T
T
Let me tell ya about No(Sonnie) and Boggy Creek Ranger. I am so glad to have been able to share my dream hunt to WY with them. They are the most fun guys I have ever shared a camp with, kept me laughing the whole time. They are both real Texas gentleman and I hope someday our paths will cross again. <P>Sonnie, I hope you are doing well and you and Boggy made it home allright. Thanks Soonie and Boggy for being there on this hunt. It was a real pleasure to share the time with you both. Eagleeye aka Terry Coydog [img]images/icons/cool.gif" border="0[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img] No knows about that. [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img]

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
NO and the Ranger have returned to Texas. Sonnie had a bit of a problem and we had to check out a tad early but we made it south and now every thing is working fine.<BR>It is an old line but a great time was had by all on the hunt.<BR>I was lucky enough to kill a great deer, at least I thought it was.<BR>Can't say enough about the Boykin outfit. All I will say is that bcat will do exactly what he says he will and will bust his hump for you trying. Debbie is a fine lady and a pleasure to be around.<BR>I hope we can keep Terry here at the fire some, he has good eyes. He is also an expert antilope hunter. I saw him do it.<BR>I have now killed a mule deer. Therefore I am now an expert on the art of mule deer huntin. Ask me any thing I know all the answers. [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] <BR>BCR (the genuine article on this post)

Quando Omni Moritati
T
T
Boggy, [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] Yes we are experts. [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] Even at home you are still making me laugh. Take care friend.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, -- it seems like we left the Dallas Gun Show about two months ago headed for Colorado to fish and play until our hunt with bcat in Encampment, Wyoming, October 1.<BR>We started seeing Antelope just out of Dalhart, Tx and I told Boggy they stopped just out of Clayton, NM (WRONG), since my last trip through there those suckers have been doing things, Antelope everywhere all the way to Raton, NM. Boggy kept asking me what kind of animals we were seeing since the speed goats were not in that area. <BR>We bought fishing license in Creede, CO and when we got to the campground all the streams and lakes were way,way,low and discolored, I caught one little trout and lost a couple, no fish and taters with onions fried in. Sherry's Santfe Stew that night. Took Boggy up on Bristol Head and saw several deer and two elk but no Moose. Since it now takes six years to draw a license in that area I decided to move on to Lake City and snag some salmon. Guess what? San Cristable Lake was way down and our snagging river was about a foot deep with no holes. The bakery is still there with hot goodies all day, we were about two hours early for the hot cherry pie but the hot pockets were good. We climbed back up Slumgullion Pass, about 11,000' and took a tour through some prime elk and deer country, a one lane road over a high mountain pass, took two radios to get one station, a cell phone was useless. Told Boggy no tourists up here and immediately met a (CAR) from Georgia with one man and a clothes rack across the back seat. Drove about a mile to a stream crossing through a culvert, I stopped and started getting the rods out of the trailer, Boggy said,"you going to stop in the middle of the road"? I replyed no one up here just as a voice from the front of the suburban yelled, "anything wrong". Yep, man and woman just looking things over. Didn't see another vehicle all the way down to camping spot, about 15 miles. Part two, tomorrow. -- no

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Posted on the gate was a large sign stating "private property" stay on road one mile. The water faucet had the handle removed at the water tank, things were looking bad, when I came to the spot where I camped last, there was fresh wood cut and fire ring but camp had moved just a day or two before we arrived. I dropped the camping trailer there and we continued up the mountain in the suburban, we went up to my secret camping spot shared with about 300 Okies. Looked deserted like it hasn't been used in a couple of years. We saw eleven deer on the jaunt up, a buck and doe about 60 yards off the trail, just kept grazing even though we stopped and took pictures. Proceeded up the mountain to the top, turned around and started back down, the deer were still there and paid no attention to us, guess you would call that remote area. We arrived back at trailer and decided to cook supper, I saw the lights headed our way and told Boggy, sure enough here came a rancher and I waved him in on his 4 wheeler, told him he was just in time for chicken and dumplings, said he had just ate supper. Another East Texas boy that had acquired 81,000 acres up the valley, nice guy that said we could spend the night where we were. He said he let some retired FBI men camp there for muzzle loading season, one had killed a bear with no license and he asked them to leave. Offered to help us get and elk if we drew a tag next year. We exchanged phone numbers since he has family North of Beaumont and would look us up when he came down. Next morning we arrived in Gunnison, CO for reservation at hotel. My fishing hole just above the Blue Mesa Lake in usually 10' to 12' deep in front of my private rock, this year I would have to cast about 30 yards to hit the edge of the water and the fisherman almost in the middle would not appreciate the competition. Boggy did get some pictures of the Dam where he and Norma came on their honeymoon. Centurion drove over and had supper,(that's Texan for dinner), and we had a great visit with a class gentleman. He stayed till ten and had a 66 mile drive home through the mountains and Black Canyon area. After driving all day for five days and altitude up to 11,500' I started getting wheezy and we dropped down to Montrose 5300' and traveled up the valley to Baggs, Wyoming and spent the night before going over the mountain to Encampment and bcats diggings. Talk about a friendly, down home welcome, just like family. becat immediately took us on a scouting trip and showed off all the deer in the valley ranches. ----- Part three in the morning, been parking cars for the Texas, Oklahoma football game in Dallas today and exhausted.<BR>-- no

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like a real intresting trip. Are you sure it is the same one I was on? [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] <BR>I will just make a few comments along while NO tells the story as he tells it a lot better than I do.<P>1 Never start out on a thousand mile plus trip with trailer tires that are so weather cracked you can see the cord.<P>2 It has rained in the Colorado mountains sometime in the last century. I am not sure exactly which year it was.<P>3 It is absolutely amazing how many brown tree stumps look like Elk. [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img] <P>4 If you are riding with NO and he tells you that ratty old rust bucket he drives will go some where believe him. Just shut your eyes, take a good hold and an extra tight anus and pray you will find a place to turn around. [img]images/icons/crazy.gif" border="0[/img]<P>5 Colorado ranchers are nice they only offer to shoot you not kill you. <P>6 Special for all Texicans. Never but never order a chicken fried steak in a cafe in Baggs Wyoming. I don't care what kind of brags they make on the menu. Their idea of a chicken fry is to take one of those flaked and formed mystery meat patties that probably came from one of those mummified mastadons they find in Siberia, roll it in corn meal and burn it in a dry skillet. They also don't know how to peel taters and the cream gravy would make durn good wall paper paste. The whole thing would gag a goat. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif" border="0[/img] <P>BCR aka Lowell Thomas

Quando Omni Moritati
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Boggy: You say NO tells it better? I don't know Buddy?? You had me in stitchs anyway? (ROTFLMAO)<P>Tex<P>P.S. Those ranchers in Colorado just love texans. But only when they are properly cooked. (grin) Probably didn't think a grizzled old pair like you two would cook up well no matter how much he tenderized you with the handle of a old shovel first. (grin)

------------------------------------------------

This post was filmed before a live studio audiance.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After Boggy's encounter with the Chicken Fried steak and a good nights rest in Baggs, Boggy was the designated driver since we were gaining altitude again. We drove across the expressway to the motel office-cafe for breakfast and turn in key only to find someone left the camping trailer door in back wide open, spilling a trail of junk from cabin to office, a fishing rod laying in the middle of the highway succumbed to the one lone car that came down the road, all we could do was watch as the gal scored a perfect hit. The breakfast was good even if I did have to go to the kitchen door to remind the waitress we had no toast. The customers around us were very friendly and we had a good visit with strangers from Michigan, New Mexico, local, and a very bearded man from SD,(I think), Boggy had him cornered, trying to explain the difference between a wild turkey and turkey buzzard. The trip over the mountian was uneventfull except for all the travel trailers coming in and parked every wide spot along the highway. When you drop off that mountain,(mostly 7% grade), into Encampment and elevation 7300', about like Gunnison. Doug and Debbie welcomed us like family, even Missy and Jake, household dogs. Missy never let Debbie out of her blurred sight,(17 years old). Debbie told the story, she lost Missy rounding up cows and she was gone for two weeks before showing up and a friends house. When Debbie picked her up she stuck to her like glue. Jake took up with me since I would slip him a treat now and then but was still a Debbie dog. <BR>bcat is in the prime of life and wirey as steel, thin, with an artifical grin that makes everything alright under any condition. He has many pictures and albums of prior hunts for everything in his part of the world, from sheep on the highest mountians to many, many, lions. He feeds his dogs stashed outside of town every day and it's like Christmas to them every time the pickup appears. The front room walls are covered with mounts of elk,moose, deer, antelope, lion a full mount on top of entertainment center, and other critters hides. Coydog showed up later in the day and proved to have the best hunting eyes I have ever witnessed in action. Nothing missed his attention while scouting the valley and surronding mountians from the pickup. The most astonding event was when he spotted deer laying in the shade,(looking into the sun), about 400 yards away. bcat was almost as good but was handycaped driving and looking.<BR>Opening morning we got up to the smell of coffee, homemade biscuits, and SOS, coming from Debbies expertice. Everyone stayed full every day we were there. bcat husseled us into the truck with all the gear, drove out to the ranch which is a hunters paradise with pastures bordered with rows of willow brush dividing them. Deer were everywhere on our scouting trip earlier in the week. Doug dropped off Boggy on the road and sent him down to a irrigation ditch a row of trees, same with Coydog about three hundred yards futher down. We drove on down to the ranch entrance and proceeded to follow access roads back into the pasture where Boggy and Coydog,(Terry), were waiting to ambush the early morning deer returning to their daytime hideouts. Immediately two good bucks jumped up out of a wash and headed up the hill toward Coydog. I jumped out of the truck and Doug was shouting shoot, shoot, I replied, all I can see is "ass", he responded with, "shoot anyway". Well, you know I don't take Texas heart shots even on good deer, we had just arrived in hunters paradise and a blind man could have many chances at prime deer,(I thought). Terry dropped the seven point,(Texas count), like Boggys eleven point to follow about five minutes later. Doug drove about fifty yards and we spotted two nice bucks about 200 yards up the hill across the meadow,(wide open shot), I hopped out and ambled over to a hay wall of logs about five feet high, dropping that orange cap along the way. Sneaking a peek from the end of the wall, the deer were standing side by side, one behind the other,(no shot), they bolted toward Boggy's hideout and I shot twice, the last time really trying to drop the large front deer.--- JimK, the trigger on that 7MM08 Rem 7 is way too light for hunting, great for prairie dogs and bench but hunting, (no go), gloves would make it dangerous. I MISSED, I MISSED!!! Little did I know that when the deer were dressed and loaded in the truck that would be the end of PARIDISE. As we drove out of the pasture,(about 45 minutes including field-dressing), the gate would be closed for good due to a conflict of corporate management. After taking the deer by the locker we headed up on the mountain, barren open ground spiked with canyon washes. Boggy and Coydog graciously got out and beat the bushes walking up a canyon while Doug and I drove up to the upper end to wait. I took up residence on an outcroping of huge rocks overlooking large sagebrush flats. An antelope took his sentry post on another outcroping about three hundred yards below me and was later joined by his partner watching the beaters aproaching from below. They broke off and ambled across the wash and up the hillside away from us and that was all we saw. Boggy resigned as beater when he made it up the hill, Coydog acted like he had just went up the block to the 7-11. We called it a day after a jaunt up high and that night the elevation began to show on me. About three or four days seems to be my limit. If anyone has had altitude sickness you know the feeling of upset stomach, weakness, and general yuck. We picked up Boggy's deer from the locker and hit the road about 5:30 PM Tuesday for low country. Must have made an impression on Boggy, we filled up with gas in Larime, WY and he drove to Pueblo, CO, 260 miles without a coffee or pee break. I started begging about thirty miles North of Denver and when we hit the South side of Denver I crawled into the back and went to sleep. He had told me he didn't like to drive in traffic,(lie,lie), he makes locals look like an amateur, think he was a race driver with lead foot in prior life. The rest of the trip was uneventful except Boggy scareing a woman in a little white car caught between us and a cement wall, bet her seat has holes in it. The hunt and mission was successful except for the fishing and camping in fishing country. Weather to blame for that. Debbie,Doug,Coydog,Frank,and Boggy are all friendships to be cherished. A pack-in trip with bcat would be a hunt of a lifetime for those that can afford it and hardy enough to take it. That s*** eating grin will grow on you and you can see it in the dark. He is a HUNTER and Coydog would make him a great partner, they are great together. Coydog has a gift of gab and is a great hunter and shooter. BTW, some of the prairie dogs up there wear Kelvar. THE END!!! -- no

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Fairly accurate account for the most part.<P>1 I told the man that we were hauling too much stuff in the dinky little trailer to ever make it over the hill as the rust bucket would only make five mph not towing. I was informed all the gear was absolutely necessary!! I just used field expedient means to lighten the load.<P>2 the guy from SD was either the best dead pan commedian or the most inspired idiot I ever ran into. If he did not know the difference between a turkey and a turkey buzzard he sure put on a good act of not knowing.<P>3 The public ground on the mountain looked like a revival meeting or Barnum and Bailey Ringling Brothers when they used to do road shows. I kept expecting to see a line of elephants or camels or something. Nothing but clowns showed however.<P>4 The DOG is seventeen years old No. The dog. I know most every thing but trees is younger than you but it is the DOG.<P>5 I told him when we started out on the trip that he was carrying too much ammo. I was wrong he just barely had enough. You ever hear a bolt gun go full auto.<P>6I started to beat the bushes for No. I picked up a stick to make noise with. Bout half way up the draw I was using it as a walking stick and I sounded like a steam engine pulling a grade. By the time I topped out I was staggering fifty yards and leaning on the stick sucking wind for two minutes so I could make another fifty. When I did get to the truck both Doug and Terry smilled at me and inquired after my health. Neither was even breathing hard. I could have killed them with my stick if I had had the strength to lift it off the ground.<P>7 I too hated to say good bye to the troops at Encampment. I would sure go again if I had the opportunity. Doug was my idea of what a game guide and good old boy should be and Debbie is top gun in the house. Terry is a terrific hunting pard.<P>8 I did say I didn't like to drive in traffic. I didn't say I couldn't do it. No secret. Just get out there and drive like a drunk Comanche an you will be ok.<P>9 The white car was crowding me and I just moved her over a mite with the trailer.<P>10 as to the prairie dogs. Re read the deer deal. There was a contest to see who could miss a prairie dog the closest. Not miss with the bullet closest but miss with the dog the closest. I would have thought the muzzle blast would have killed it but it didn't.<P>As a general observation it is a true but little known fact that the state of Colorado has stopped making license plates. They buy what ever they need as left overs from Texas. They must do that because of all the Texas plates on cars up there.<P>End of the line for the Ranger too. Adios.<P>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Wel after an account like that of the whole trip I just have one thing to say. THese two old farts are comedian extrodanaires.....I never laughed so hard in ages and there was no way to get ahead of these two, (especially Sonnie) when it came to givng somone a hard time.. [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img] You guys will remeber that trip forever as will we the time we spent with ya. We did go out the day after you guys left and got a 28 incher right where Sonnie shot at the first deer. Dont know if it was the same one or not but it was a nice big buck. There were 7 bucks and about ten does there on the 4th and we did take the biggest one we saw that day. Hope to see you guys this winter for some fishing and hog hunting. Thanks for the great time both of ya. bcat

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

454 members (219 Wasp, 10ring1, 204guy, 22250rem, 163bc, 17CalFan, 41 invisible), 2,060 guests, and 1,109 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,853
Posts18,517,617
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.