S
ATS-34, knife was $125, I supplied the Muskox

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
ATS-34, knife was $125, I supplied the Muskox

Thats ridiculously cheap for such a beautiful knife made with quality materials...Is it a factory blade that somebody added the handles too?

Do you use the knife much or is it a collectors item?

I'm just curious how practical some of exotic handle materials really are? For instance, some of the fancy wood that is used can be very slippery when covered in blood ....

Regards,

Peter

Last edited by Pete E; 07/31/09.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Nope, full custom knife from a maker in South Carolina. Had it on my belt when I shoot my biggest whitetail, I don't collect anything.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thats a great price for a full custom and glad to hear its not a "safe queen"...

Regards,

Peter

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Scott;
Hi there, I hope your week was acceptable Scott.

Very, very nice knife there! cool

The photos seem to show an amazing depth to the pattern or grain of the horn. Very cool indeed.

Have a good weekend,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Mark Knapp. danny

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pete E
I'm just curious how practical some of exotic handle materials really are?

I, for one, will not make or handle one made from a walrus' dong!!! (oosik) sick

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
MuskegMan
And I thought the bottom knife was practical and not the least bit hard (no pun intended) to handle.
[Linked Image]

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Here's a knife I had made with Muskox horn scales.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That knife is simply stunning.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've got muskox on a knife my Dad made for me. We left some of the outer bark on it for grip when wet (it's a quick extraction boating knife). It's about my favourite material.

"This duty fell upon me and was the worst job I ever had in my life.
I have known men I would rather shoot than the worst of dogs."

Frank Wild
Second in Command
Endurance 1914-1916
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Originally Posted by Pete E
I'm just curious how practical some of exotic handle materials really are?

I, for one, will not make or handle one made from a walrus' dong!!! (oosik) sick

We had a "whistle" on the wall at camp for years; it was blown by many people which no doubt somewhat regretted their association with us. It was always fun to play the tape back for them though - at least some of us thought it was fun.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M

Back near the top---AkMtnHntr

How did the scouting trip go? I would love to move up there just to be able to go sheep hunting. But that and a few other things are just not in the cards.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had to bag the trip, the smoke in the interior was much too thick and wasn't worth me driving down there. Luckily a good friend of mine was on his way back from Chitna dipping salmon and he called me to warn me about it.

When I go there to hunt at the end of the month i'll keep my eyes peeled for some "drop" sheep horns and caribou/moose antlers.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a knife that I want to post pics of when I get a camera. It was given to me by my best friend. His aunt bought it for his father when she went up there. It has a stag handel. It almost looks like a white tail horn but could be sitka. It just has ancourage stamp on the blade. I am told its hand made.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M

Guess I hadn't been paying attention. Where is the fire/smoke??

Albert Einstein

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's a huge fire near Nenana and lots more burning in the interior. Last I heard there was something like 70+ fires going with a handful of them being attented too.

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When was the last time you heard of the entire Fairbanks area being smoke free in the summer? It goes on for decades now. It burns under the snow, when does it go out? Ask anyone with time in BLM when there was no fires in Alaska?

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M

I would trade a Montana Creek Hunter done with your handle material ---for enough Musk Ox horn to do my own knife.
Just a thought.
Tim

Albert Einstein

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 3sixbits
When was the last time you heard of the entire Fairbanks area being smoke free in the summer? It goes on for decades now. It burns under the snow, when does it go out? Ask anyone with time in BLM when there was no fires in Alaska?
So what's your point? He's not from around here so how would he know about the fires?

MRK, musk ox live way up north and hunting them is limited and can be an expensive proposition so obtaining ox horn won't be easy. Maybe the ox farm in Palmer would have some available for sale, you should swing by there and ask.

Steelhead

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
AkMtnHntr
No sweat, I am thick skinned enough that 3 6's comment didn't bother me. I have been to AK twice and did not see/hear about fires that I can remember. I never was so niave to think that there were no fires in AK, I was just curious how bad the situation was.
The only thing I have watched closely in AK lately was Sarah.

I have seen fires smoldering under ground out west and can picture the fire smoldering under the snow quite easily.

Anyhow, many thanks for the info. If we get near Palmer next week, I will see if we can stop at the ox farm. Yeah, I know musk ox aren't running all over the place. I almost got a set of horns in Goodnews Village on our way out in 2005. They had been thrown in the "No Use" area, but the guy who grabbed them wouldn't part with them.

Thanks again and good luck with the sheep hunt.
Tim

Albert Einstein

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

414 members (10ring1, 1lessdog, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 204guy, 57 invisible), 17,715 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,988
Posts18,540,179
Members74,053
Most Online21,066
1 hour ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.