Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
"Christians only?" What odd sort of Christian is not famaliar with the concept of "God's Chosen People?"

Oh, right. THAT sort of christians. The small "c" is intentional.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Tod
We have a local ham who happens to be Jewish. He wasn't allowed to join a disaster volunteer group sponsored by one of the Christian organizations. Christians only.
So what are you saying, is every non Christian is a wonderful person and every Christian should be executed for the good of mankind? All Christians are bad? Can you not comprehend that a Christian is human and thus likely to have human traits? Sure there are Christians who are ass holes just as there are non Christians who are ass holes. What is your point.

If I were out to help someone in need I would not be asking everybody who wanted to help out about their choice in faith or their race or their gender. I agree the concept is stupid but condemning every Christian because of the actions of a few is like condemning every non Christian because they are all just like Hitler. Pull your head out of your ass and get a real life.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Barak Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thank you all for your input.

I was curious.

When I found out that the majority of the churches this guy talked to didn't even want to hear what he had to say, because they were too busy with their Bible studies and their bridge parties and their Easter cantatas and their potlucks to be bothered with things like needy people, I'm afraid I had some very sharp words to say. They were probably additionally fueled by the experience I've had with ex-offenders (or re-offenders) who tell me stories about how after they got out of prison, they tried to find a decent church family to help them stay out of trouble, but pastor after pastor discovered that they had been in prison and took them aside and explained that they weren't welcome and had to leave.

There are really some sad, sad excuses for churches out there, filled with sad, sad excuses for Christians.

Got m' dander up, it did--sho' 'nuff.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Barak
There are really some sad, sad excuses for churches out there, filled with sad, sad excuses for Christians.

Would have been right there with you! Just one of the many reasons I may never set foot in another church building.

Barak Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JoeMama
One fear that I have, personally, is that some people are like Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction. They get too close, suck you dry and throw away the husk.

One of the safeguards against this in the SITG program is that the prospective "neighbor" has to be willing to answer yes to what SITG calls "the Jesus Question:" that is, "Do you want to be healed?" There are several tools the program uses to discern those people from the ones who are just looking for a handout.

Another safeguard is the prohibition against giving money. Penny and I work in a program for ex-offenders that has the same prohibition, and it's interesting how well it works. Folks who aren't serious tend to self-select out when they find out that there's no money involved; the folks who stay tend to be the serious ones who will derive real benefit.

A third safeguard is the fact that these "spiritual families" are composed of a minimum of four volunteers, not one. Apparently SITG started with one-on-one ministry, and discovered that it quickly burned people out.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
IC B2

Barak Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Scott F

Would have been right there with you! Just one of the many reasons I may never set foot in another church building.

There are, of course, other churches that have their heads on straight and their priorities right. Those are the churches I look for. I don't give two beans for doctrine or denomination: I want to see a church where the Gospel is A) preached and B) lived. Show me one like that and I don't care what the name is. (Show me one that's not like that and I don't care what the name is either.)

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by BCBrian
Churchgoers do it to please God - and increase the odds of going to heaven and living forever.

That could very well be true of some. But many of those churchgoers do it with noble intentions ... your all-encompassing and cavalier jibe is in very poor taste, to say the least.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So if the people needing help and get it, do you think it matters to them what the ulterior motives are of "some" in the group?

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Got a call from my mother last night. She is now into God...and Jesus.....and forgiveness.....and having her soul saved(she does this from year to year). Her point of the conversation was to 'help me find Jesus'. Always sorta strange watching that sorta talk seep from the mouth of an addict.

The call made my head hurt.....for varoius reasons.

Anyhow, with regard to the thread, I do what I can cuz it makes me feel good, then I thank God for the opportunity to walk the talk. But I am strange that way.

Last edited by HoundGirl; 08/01/09.

Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog.
-- Mark Twain

Part of me lives with the wind in my face,
while the other part is barely alive.

--Mary Gauthier
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by HoundGirl
Got a call from my mother last night. She is now into God...and Jesus.....and forgiveness.....and having her soul saved(she does this from year to year). Her point of the conversation was to 'help me find Jesus'. Always sorta strange watching that sorta talk seep from the mouth of an addict.

The call made my head hurt.....for varoius reasons.

Anyhow, I do what I can cuz it makes me feel good, then I thank God for the opportunity to walk the talk. But I am strange that way.

From one addiction, to another, and always in seek of a high to fill something voided, that can't be filled.

Don't let her help you find anything; as she's lost and will remain so. That she'd lose you along the way, you oughta know by now.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nah, I told her that she wore me out a long time ago.....and the fact I still have time for her, is a testiment to my faith.

She told me I was bitter and selfish. I told her 'only because you leave me no other option, mother', and I hung the phone up.

She does this when she is short on oxy cocktails.....so it's not a big suprise.

Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog.
-- Mark Twain

Part of me lives with the wind in my face,
while the other part is barely alive.

--Mary Gauthier
Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Scott F
Originally Posted by Tod
We have a local ham who happens to be Jewish. He wasn't allowed to join a disaster volunteer group sponsored by one of the Christian organizations. Christians only.
So what are you saying, is every non Christian is a wonderful person and every Christian should be executed for the good of mankind? All Christians are bad? Can you not comprehend that a Christian is human and thus likely to have human traits? Sure there are Christians who are ass holes just as there are non Christians who are ass holes. What is your point.

Not saying that at all. Just observing that it's curious that a particular 'Christian' organization - in this case helping out in Katrina and asking for ham volunteers - put a volunteer's faith above the needs of other people. Doesn't seem very 'Christian'.

I don't subscribe to the notion of 'all' anything, e.g. all 'Muslims are psychotic terrorists', 'all Christians are hypocrites' etc. Any time you make blanket statements about any group, you are venturing into the unknown.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
In that case I will off my apologies.

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VAnimrod

From one addiction,

Yes

to another,

Having the ability to expereince life in it's fullest isn't really an addiction

and always in seek of a high to fill something voided

VERY true

that can't be filled.

Wrong. It can't be filled with drugs, alcohol, sex, money, esteem, success, power, a philosophy, or a religion. There is one thing, and only one thing, that can fill that void.

Don't let her help you find anything; as she's lost and will remain so. That she'd lose you along the way, you oughta know by now.

Tragically, that may welll be true. However, Jane can still hope and be supportive without being taken in.

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wpsuth
My bad. Sorry. REALLY sorry. I only act that condescendingly on purpose...wrong target.

Don't be sorry, it was just the format of the forum that threw you off. Also, BCBrian does deserve every bit of condescension thrown his way. What is good for the goose is also good for the gander.............

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I see the vow of,"You have to sign a covenant as a volunteer that absolutely no money will change hands under any circumstances" as a vow against the teachings of Christ.
I think there is a reliance on "earthly wisdom". A discounting of God's abilities. Though the proponents would likely argue I see the "glory" going in the wrong direction as well.
I could see why a church would not want to hear from him on that point alone.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't remember where I heard it but it kinda says it all.

"Going to church dosen't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a Mercedes."

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Wow! You guys sure have some creative excuses for not attending church.

On the other hand, if your congregation needs a "program" to teach you how to do charitable works, maybe you need a better pastor...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They were probably additionally fueled by the experience I've had with ex-offenders (or re-offenders) who tell me stories about how after they got out of prison, they tried to find a decent church family to help them stay out of trouble,

What does the Church family have to do? Follow the ex Con around and stop them mugging people or breaking into houses?

Barring the odd speeding ticket, I and the majority of people here have gone through their entire lives A) staying out of trouble and B) doing it with out anybody's assistance but my own..

These people need to man up and acknowledge that they hold their own destiny in their hand...the choice is theirs alone whether they further comitte crime or stick on the straight and narrow...

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Can only speak for the Church I attend . Yes we have programs to provide help to those local folks who mihgt need it. A wide variety of assistance is avaailable when the need is known. Never seen our Church back away from anyone who genuinely needed the aid. This includes ministering/mentoring to those freshly out of prison if they will accept it.

And to BCBrian Doing these works has nothing to do with going to heaven, that is a seperate matter entirely, we also do it because it is the RIGHT thing to do.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

267 members (12344mag, 1lessdog, 160user, 257 roberts, 10Glocks, 2UP, 31 invisible), 1,711 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,296
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.