Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3198475 08/01/09
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Have any of used a Thermacell on a bear stand? Could they smell it and was it effective?

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Can't say as to whether bears can smell it, but they are incredibly effective. Skeeters just go away, and that is a very good thing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have used one for the past 4-5 years, but never while bear hunting. The deer don't seem to mind the scent (if they are scenting it to begin with) and it is the best thing for spring turkey hunting since the shotgun. Takes a few minutes to get enough in the air when you move to a new position, but once set up I have seen mosquito's fly close and do a 180 to leave. The thing is amazing. One more thing, don't use it in an enclosed stand, too much of the vapor will make you dizzy.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've used one on a bear stand a few times. The bears didn't seem to notice, as they still came in and didn't pay any attention to me. Just be aware that any breeze will reduce it's effectiveness. I just use a spray repellent, now. When I set up my baits, I spray a bit of repellent around the base of my stand and, within two days, the bears get used to the smell and ignore it. This has worked, for me, for several years in Quebec. The last spring bear that fell for this was over 400 lbs. and is now on my wall. Good luck on your hunt.

Chuck

Last edited by accrash; 08/02/09.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I might be wrong but I think what Passport is referring to is the scented attractants you can get for the Thermacell....as far as that I am not a scent attractant person so I dont know but I do and have used them on mosquitos and yes it is awesome.

If doing the scent attractant way I surely wouldnt have the thing on my person rather somewhere upwind of me probably like 40-50 yds.

Good luck.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tom264
I might be wrong but I think what Passport is referring to is the scented attractants you can get for the Thermacell....as far as that I am not a scent attractant person so I dont know but I do and have used them on mosquitos and yes it is awesome.

If doing the scent attractant way I surely wouldnt have the thing on my person rather somewhere upwind of me probably like 40-50 yds.

Good luck.

I just want to know if the scent is going to blow out a bear, I did not know about the scents and dont want to use it as a cover scent. Im looking for no scent and no skeeters. smile

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Oh OK, in that case I havent had a deer blow out because of the Thermacell, I would think you will be ok.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
i've used on hog hunts and been good but i can smell it and i don't have a good sense of smell.If the you are downwind i would be willing to try it but if calm my opinion i would play it safe and use traditional nets and cover body.That is my plan for next month's bear hunt

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I can smell it too and that is my concern, I have a pretty good sniffer and I can smell if from a pretty good distance even when it's calm. I hate bug suits, but when it comes to bear Im thinking I would rather have a bit of movement and no smell...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by passport
Have any of used a Thermacell on a bear stand? Could they smell it and was it effective?

Yes it does have a slight smell, but I can tell you it was very effective on my Maine Bear Hunt. I took a book bear while using one. The bait was 60 yards away and many other friends use them with no problems. Also, I've used it a lot in the SC Swamps while Pig Hunting and pigs also have very good noses. No issues. They keep the bugs away that keep you from fidgeting and that alone far outweighs any odor issues. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
jorge you just brought up another piece to the puzzle.distance to bait or bears??My guide told me i will be about 15 yards away from bait

Jorge which outfit did you use for bear hunt in maine??????

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
passport where and when you going on bear hunt?

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
thermacell---the best thing since shirt pockets--keeps early season and spring hunts from turning into blood donation.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tbear99
passport where and when you going on bear hunt?

Hunt starts 9-25, Im hunting in Ontonagon county in the West end of the UP.

Last edited by passport; 08/02/09.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by AFTERUM
thermacell---the best thing since shirt pockets--keeps early season and spring hunts from turning into blood donation.

<laughing> Too true. Too, too true.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use a thermacell here in eastern NC religiously during archery and turkey seasons. I have never noticed a deer bust me because of my thermacell. I'd say that as long as you have a favorable wind then you're fine, I worry about my scent more than that of the device. You'll likely spook more game swatting bugs than the smell that the thermacell would produce. I've also used it on my only hog hunt and had ten hogs within 10-12 yards of me not noticing any smell.

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
If you're really concerned about the odor,try some of the earth scent pads. Made specifically for hunters as a cover scent.

The regular pads have a definate chemical odor. Its not strong,but if I can smell it a bear can also.

The Thermacells are absolutely incredible. We used them in Yellowstone this spring. Without them,you'd have 15-20 mosquitos on you in less than 10 seconds. With the Thermacells running,you'd occasionally have a kamikaze get through,but they were few and far between.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tbear99
jorge you just brought up another piece to the puzzle.distance to bait or bears??My guide told me i will be about 15 yards away from bait

Jorge which outfit did you use for bear hunt in maine??????

Bear: I hunted and was part owner (small! part owner) of Bowlin Camps. We sold it two months ago: Bear Hunt on the Thermacell, as always, use the wind.

jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Originally Posted by AFTERUM

<laughing> Too true. Too, too true.

+100

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Don't leave home without it.
I have had deer walk under my stand while using one. They don't seem to notice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

324 members (1lesfox, 257 mag, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 270wsmnutt, 31 invisible), 2,030 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,451
Posts18,528,894
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.