Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
mjoe11 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hello all-

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend me a good outfitter for prairie dog hunting? I have never been before, but I would like to give it a try. Also, how hard is it to find private land to hunt on without going through an outfitter? I was born and raised in Iowa, so I don't really know of anyone that has prairie dogs to be shot. Any and all advice is much appreciated!

Thanks,

-Matt

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Matt......
suscribe to Varmint Hunter Association for $30 a yr...lots of info on places to go....outfitters or DIU....they have a Jamboree every July in SD...that may be a good start to hook up with other shooters from your area...some ranches may charge a daily tresspass fee....while others will let you on for free....just remember the landowner likes to know who is on his property armed with rifles.....references always a good idea...
VHA phone # 800 528 4868
I believe $5 will get you the current issue (four per yr)

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Use the $30 for gas and do it yourself. VHA promotes overshooting and decimation of land when it comes to prairie dogs. I have never in many many years been turned down when asking about shooting private land with prairie dogs....never paid either.
How hard is it to drive up to a land owners house, get out of the truck, explain what you would like to do, accept the answer and go shoot ? You're not asking for his first born.......

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I disagree with skb2706. The VHA is an upstanding group of people. It is almost next to impossible to shoot out a prairie dog town. The only two things that decimate a healthy prairie dog town is disease or poison. Call Zortman Motel & Garage in Zortman, Montana or check out the Sharptail Cabin (http://sharptailcabinmt.com/index.htm ). You do not need a hunting license for most varmints in Montana. I have found that if you stop in at a local restaurant in most small towns and ask they will give you a number of landowners and sometimes phone numbers. Don�t limit yourself to prairie dogs, though. Go for some gophers (ground squirrels), too.

VarmintLooney -

�When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.� Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The VHA tends to send far too many shooters too far too few of places.

IC B2

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
South Dakota is the place to go. The Rosebud has unbelieveable shooting and the place is huge . Next would be the Cheyenne River Souix then Standing Rock ,followed by Lower Brule and don't forget the Pine Ridge .Plenty of dog towns . Good luck

M
mjoe11 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
We ended up finding a place in Western Kansas. The guy is going to charge us a little bit, but he has 10,000 acres to hunt and he's cheaper than any other outfitter I could find. Any good recommendations on good .223 bullets to shoot at them. My gun seems to like the Fiocchi 40 grain V-Max. Is that going to be too light of a bullet if there is any wind?

Thanks for the help,

-matt

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Skb2706: I have been a member of the "Varmint Hunters Association" since BEFORE it was the "Varmint Hunters Association"!
It was called "Varmint Hunters International" back then.
And I can relay this to you directly there skb2706, you could not be ANY further from the truth there in the first part of your dumbfounding post!
I have never heard or read word ONE from either organization promoting "overshooting and decimation of land" - YOU owe the Varmint Hunters Association a prompt and well defined apology!
Sheesh!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Varmint Hunters Association Life Member #185

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I shoot a 40-grain V-Max in my .223. In my humble opinion the speed of the bullet is more important than its weight. The lighter the bullet, the faster it goes, the less time in flight to be affected by the wind. Of course, you must strike a balance between speed, weight and sectional density. Thus, my 40-grain V-Max at 3700 fps seems to be better in the wind than my 50-grain V-Max at 3350 fps.

VarmintLooney -

�When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.� Ronald Reagan
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shoot 40 gr Ballistic Tips or V-Maxs in my .223s. The furthest lasered shot I have made with these was 287 yards, and I hit several at that range in a row after holding too high initially. I have hot others further with my .22-250, and I do shoot 50-55 gr bullets out of it.

I also like the 50 gr Speer TNT in .223.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have never paid to hunt prairie dogs. I am doing the rancher a favor by shooting them and they know it.
Stop and eat in any small town and people will walk up and ask you if you have a place to hunt. Always say no even if you already have plans.
When they see the out of state plates and the way you are dressed they know what you are there for before you open your mouth.
Never leave garbage on somebodies land.
Always close the gate if it was closed when you got there.
If it was open then leave it open!
Don't shoot the cattle or horses and you will be welcomed back next time.
Remember to say Thank You.
Just basic manners will get you on the land.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

455 members (219 Wasp, 10ring1, 204guy, 22250rem, 163bc, 17CalFan, 35 invisible), 2,255 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,854
Posts18,517,634
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.