Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've never killed a big game animal in my life with factory ammo. I've been a handloader since I took up gun hunting.

However I now have this .223 and as we all know components are not that easy to come by for now. I assume this will change in the next 6 months or so, but right now I have been looking over the factory offerings for a week or so trying to make up my mind on what to use.

I've found that there are some bulk options like the 50 round box from HSM or Hornady. Both are offered at about 30 bucks a box of 50. I just want an accurate and explosive 50/55 grain bullet.

Who is making the better .223 bulk ammo at a good price right now? Is the HSM ammo anygood? Guess I can just buy some various kinds to see what shoots best, but if I knew who's bullets they used I could at least start out choosing wisely

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have LOTS of components for you as well as a large pile of Black hills ammo. Black hills Red Box is the set stuff out there IMO. Give me a ring and we will hook you up. MARK

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Hornady Custom with the Vmax would be my choice.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I will second the black hills ammo, the folks at black hills are second to none. HAPPY HUNTING

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Couple buddies have had great luck with the Ultramax stuff shooting Vmax's and BT's...

http://www.ultramaxammunition.com/rifle.php

Edited to add: I don't see them listing Vmax anymore...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The only time I've used factory ammo in my life was when I ran out on a PD shoot...bought a couple boxes of Ultramax 52 gr HPs and was extremely impressed....
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Last fall when I bought my AR, I ordered 500 rounds of the "Ultramax 55 gr VMax" from Cabela's. This ended up being the one my AR really likes. My son uses the Winchester 45 gr HP's in his AR. When I got my first 223 a couple years ago, I picked up a box of 200 UMC 45 gr HP's and they were ok in the bolt gun. The last 2 boxes of the same load are leaving a lot to be desired.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I picked up some Fiocchi with 40 grain v-max since I was not set up for reloading and wanted something other than FMJ. They are shooting really well from my Rem 700. They offer the v-max in 50 grain also. And they are made in the USA. ~$29/50 at Cabelas.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JJ-I've used a fair bit of the Ultra Max and my fav is the Win "white box" with the 45 grain hp in it. To date, I've not found any factory ammo to be more accurate in either my 223's and or 22/250.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Ditto on what Dober said - it equals my best handloads, and you have once fired Winchester brass after shooting - all in all not a bad deal.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Forgot about that one Drover but you're right, you do have some very good brass when you're done with it.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Those Winny white box loads are great stuff. Failed to mention those. Only hesitation there is that they're a bit frangible for the larger stuff. We've had splashes on shoulder hits with those.

LC hulls after the Ultramax ain't a bad consolation prize either...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had good luck with some older Ultra-Max loads that came with the 50 gr Speer TNT. I expect the Ultra- MAx ammo with the Ballistic Tip or even the basic Speer bullet would be fine, too.

The white box Win ammo with the 45 gr HP is great stuff - very fast and have shot well in all three .223s I have tried them in.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
JJ...Why don't you see if Barnes can set you up with some Black Hills ammo?

It looks like they're loading the 36 gr. Varmint grenade & also the new 55 gr. TSX. http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/loaded-ammunition/

Just wondering, but are you gonna take the little gun to Africa? I'd think it would be a win-win situation for both.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Seen a few bullets that slipped down into the case on Ultramax...

I bought a few rounds of American Eagle 50 gr hollow point ammo and it has been pretty accurate and works fine on coyotes. First case I ran through was Federal brass so I let it lay where it fell but the last 3 or 4 cases have been Lake City brass.

Just to ruin a good day, I bought it for like $229/1000 and griped about how high ammo was. Wish I'd have bought more and griped less!

M
M
I second nimrod1949 with a vote for the 40-grain Fiocchi. I just bought a Savage .223 and it was shooting 3/4" groups with the Fiocchi V-max.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I haven't read the whole thread but, Black Hills ammo is as good as it gets for a reasonable price. Good thing you've got friends willing to share, might be hard to come by on short notice.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I thought youy were going to use that rifle to shoot the smaller african antelope. If so, I would want a heavier bullet load like the 64 gr. WW Power-Point, not some super explosive varmit bullet. E

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It's been my experience that the super explosive bullets have not made an exit hole, not even on a coyote, and I have seen a few not even exit on raccoon and bobcat. That's what I'm looking for.......I don't want an exit, I want an internal explosion

The small antelopes are smaller then a big Coyote. They might be 40 lbs for a big one and the smaller ones are likely 20lbs or so. We also have caracal cats(african lynx) and jackals( fox sized) So it's not different then hunting predators in the USA.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JJ, the Black Hills ammo is about the best thing, if not the best thing going, for factory .223 ammo. However, I find it very hard to find in stores. Safariman if'n you got a way of getting that ammo I'd sure like a PM telling me how I might get a hold of some???

Is it Friday yet?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

373 members (1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 1_deuce, 19rabbit52, 41 invisible), 2,676 guests, and 1,399 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,316
Posts18,526,374
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.