Print Thread
Hop To
K
kend Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Three of us Oregonians are going on a self guided ML Cow hunt in unit 62. All of our research has been via the internet and we are basically going cold. We know how to get there and that's about it. If anyone has information that they don't mind sharing I would sure appreciate it. Thanks, Ken

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I've never hunted elk there, but I've been turkey hunting in that unit for the past few years. Will you be camping? Wall tent? Trailer? Will you bring ATVs? I would find a place off the Divide road to set up camp, maybe some place near the middle so you can get around easily. There are a lot of roads/trails in 62. I'd stay near the top and hike off the road a ways. It's been a wet summer and the Plateau is really green. The elk and deer should be fat and happy.

Last edited by Waygoner; 08/04/09.
K
kend Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Thanks Goner. Three of us. I'll take my camper off the truck and we have 2 ATV's so we can all be mobile. The hunt is Sept 12.
I assume from your response that there are some animals in there and they should still be up high that early in the fall. Ken

M
M
I've hunted there in the second season for the last 5 years. I think Waygoner has the right of it that the elk will likely be high that early in the year. The Divide Road is on the edge of the unit. I think I'd start at FR 408 or FR 421 and drive down them a bit (both head off down the side of the plateau from the crest where the divide is), get out and look for a little sign before fully setting up camp. Various years and after hunting pressure, we've found elk down in the pinyon/juniper, but I doubt you guys will run into that.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by kend
Three of us Oregonians are going on a self guided ML Cow hunt in unit 62. All of our research has been via the internet and we are basically going cold. We know how to get there and that's about it. If anyone has information that they don't mind sharing I would sure appreciate it. Thanks, Ken

It's been a bit wetter than normal, and a bit cooler than normal. Elk will be more scattered in elevation--don't forget to check the oakbrush country down low--lower than you would expect. They also won't be as concentrated around water, although during the rut they will tend to hang around water sources more.

Archery hunting pressure will push some elk into the canyons by mid-September. Dry Creek Canyon, Beaver Dams, Spring Creek, and every canyon in between, will have elk in the bottom. I've seen some pretty good size harems in the canyon bottoms at times. It's your choice if you want to kill one down there, 'cause roads in the canyons are either non-existent or only accessible from the valley on private land. Although there's a plethora of roads populating the mesas between the canyons. As usual, there will be elk herds concentrated on the lower private ground once the archery pressure starts.

Cows are a dime-a-dozen on the Uncompahgre Plateau. Be patient and one will show up. Next door is Unit 61 (everything on the west half of the Plateau) and it's an entirely limited license unit for all seasons for both deer and elk (except for private land only cow tags wich can be easily had during rifle season) but the elk cross back and forth from 61-62 frequently.

That time of year it can still be warmish during the day (one reason I don't hunt the Plateau during September unless I draw a Unit 61 bull tag--which is taking 6-10 years currently).

Of course, you still have 6 weeks to go, and the weather may turn hot and dry, and the lower elk may start up to higher ground and everybody may start hanging closer to water in the next month or so........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There aren't a lot of trails you can get on that allow ATV's. Most are closed off. I took my ATV down and never got it out of the truck, other than to haul out my bull on one of the few open trails. Elk hate ATV's and spook LONG before you will see them. They will clear out of the area in a hurry when a bunch of guys are motoring around on them. I have seen this a lot. I sat up on the divide road a couple of years ago and watched elk take off into the brush several times when ATV's came by. As soon as the ATV's were a mile or so away, the elk came back out. Same goes with noisy diesel pickups.

There are a TON of cows in there and you don't have to get far off the road to get one. Leave the ATV's home or in camp, keep quiet, glass a lot and you will have no problem getting a cow. The divide road is a great place to glass from. Don't camp where you are hunting either. I saw several guys shoot their cows within 500 yards of the road. They glassed them from the divide road, put a sneak on them and wacked them. Other guys I watched motor around on their ATV's the whole week. I don't think they ever got anything that I know of. 62 is my favorite unit to hunt in Colorado. I absolutely LOVE it. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Dang,

can't ask for better advice!

Good on you guys willing to give up some secrets to help a guy out!

K
kend Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Thanks Flinch. I really appreciate the advise and will do as you suggest. There are a lot of good folks on the Fire as proven by the help you and the other guys have given me regarding this hunt. Best Regards, Ken

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Greetings Oregonians
I've hunted 62 the last 5yr .I usually start at the Transfer rd (508) out of Delta. The Roubideau creek is my first hunt, and start working northward as the season progresses depending on the Elk and Elk sign.I work northward through Moore Mesa,7N,Monitor Mesa,Potter Basin,Cabin bench,Love Mesa,(FS RD 500) I've yet to kill a Bull, but have seen plenty of cows. You will have cattle in there to contend with.You'll see alot of Turkeys and some mule deer that will make your knees get weak! Flinch gave you some great advise,I might try that this year, I'm working WAY to hard!

" He who refuses to do the arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense" John McCarthy

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I hunted 3rd season deer there last year, and was pist i didnt buy an elk and a bear tag, seen a good 6 point standing in the middle of the dave wood road! along with various other encounters. then seen the biggest black bear i have ever layed eyes on, two days in a row. i seen alot of bucks, just not one i wanted to shoot. fun hunt with alot of game.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bulls and bears are all a draw in there and VERY tough to draw. It took me 10 points/years for a bull tag. I have never seen so much bear sign in my life. I actually had to watch were I was stepping. It is a wonder how deer and elk survive in there with the number of cougars, bears and coyotes. That is probably why very few cows had calves. I called in a cougar to 5 feet (watched him sneak in on me from a couple of hundred yards away) and saw a lot of tracks. I called in numerous coyotes that I could have hit with a rock. I literally saw several hundred piles of bear scat! They definitely need to offer more bear and cougar tags in that unit. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
dont know where you hunted but bulls are OTC and bears are OTC with caps in 62. deer is the only draw. you must be thinking of 61.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Rosco1

I may be hunting Colorado uit 062 during 2nd rifle season this year for bull elk.

Do you have any advice on where to hunt in this unit?

I'm considering getting a bear tag as well. Any tips on where to find them?

Thanks

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Craftsman, I have only hunted there 1 time, but i will send you a PM when i have a map handy and tell you where i think would be good.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

669 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 74 invisible), 2,524 guests, and 1,379 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,965
Posts18,480,612
Members73,958
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.