Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Well, I have been arranged to hunt with my fiance's family this year in Idaho for my first elk hunt (elk/whitetail combo specifically). I forget exactly which unit it is but I know we will be hunting somewhere close to Elk City. I am sceduled to hunt the week of the 26th - 30th. I have no clue what the weather will be like or what to expect of the terrain. We are staying at a family cabin and then driving daily to our starting point. Can some of you help me to fill in some blanks here?

What I have/know:

My boots are Irish Setter's, not sure of model, but are more designed for upland style hunting where alot of walking is involved...not so much climbing tread (they are waterproof though).

Currently all my clothing is cotton or some form of cotton blend. I am searching to my best capabilities to find some decent wool clothing at a price I can afford. I know to dress in layers but I am not too familiar with spot and stalk where one is pretty consistently moving...down here we are generally stand hunters and dress for the coldest we will get.

I do not have a spotting scope.

Binos are Leupold Acadia's 10x42.

I have a small pack (I do not know the cubic inches) but it is not a frame (internal or external) design and I don't imagine it would do well packing meat. It has several pockets for oddball gadgets and a decent main compartment with rifle/bow lashing straps as well as a hydration bladder. I do not have any budget for a dedicated pack for this hunt.

Since each hunt will be daily trips with returns to the cabin, what should I expect to stow in the pack? I will have the usual gps, compass, whistle, emergency medical kit, survival blanket, t.p. and a few other items (such as clothes--layering to stay comfortable) but what should I look for that I may not be considering?

My rifle is the least of my worry and I will probably carry a back-up or fun-gun (I am driving).

As I said, I will be driving...I will have a 95qt and 120qt ice chests for game as well as a 48qt for food for the drive.

What am I missing? I have been told to expect snow (something foreign to me) and temps right around freezing at night. Besides that, I am pretty clueless to what I should expect.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The cotton clothes can get you killed in that country,I have some fleece and wool stuff you can borrow if it fits you.

I like polypro or thermax underware,wosterlon shirts,fleece pants,and wool socks.

I also recommend an outer wind/waterproof outer layer,I have an old browning hyrofleece parka with gore tex that I use.

All my stuff is XL or XXL. I'll need them back before thankgiving week when I head west.

Also your boots are prolly not that good for sidehilling steep country. I have an old pair of Rockys that I like,but new boots are most likely in order for you.

PM me your phone number and we can talk if you like.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Wear the boots alot before you go so they get broken in, and you can identify and remedy hot spots. Practice alot with your rifle at various distances away from a rest, so you'll know the ballistics of your ammo better. Practice a little hill walking with a heavy pack on your back, to condition for the higher altitude.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I second the recommendations on the wool&fleece. Get something that can be unzipped when huffing up them hills you are going to be generating lots of heat that will need to escape. I like a fleece zip up hoody over a t shirt if lots og walking/climbing is in order,and keep something more substantial in your pack for when you aren't moving.
As for boots, I like unlined leather logger boots with a lug sole, in cold weather wear wool socks,& get them broke in before the hunt. if you wear glasses get some cat crap for your lenses or you'll do like me,and miss an opportunity cause ya can't see. good Idea to put some on youre scope lenses too. I'd suggest a flip- up scope cap for the objective lens of youre scope to keep snow/rain out.
I hunt just south of there, near Riggins. Its steep country.

Hank

Roughly half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Get new boots, and clothes. How much of a budget do you have?

I have a 4,000 cubic inch Gregory pack you can borrow.

I also have a Burris 20x spotting scope you are welcome to borrow.

Pm me.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get more information from your family about specifics on the hunt regarding packing meat out and the kind of country you will be hunting and road access. You will probably want a serious upgrade for a pack, but a simple framed meat pack might be fine if the truck isn't much over an hour away. I second CharlesA, you'll want to upgrade the boots for something designed for more rugged country than quail habitat. The clothing recommendations are all valid.

Last edited by exbiologist; 08/05/09.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is a whole lot of "big," steep country around Elk City. I've elk hunted to the s.e. of Elk City, in the Red River Hot Springs area, and up on the old McGruder Road (aka old Montana Road), at that same time.

Yes, you might get snow and might not, but you should be prepared for it. The nights will be cold but as you're sleeping in a cabin, no problems there at that time.

As others said, wool and fleece. Leave the cotton for driving across country.

It depends on the exact area your friends have selected to hunt, but you might well be hunting in very thick coniferous forests, and you will also find some areas that have been logged with some possibly long shots. There are a few old burns up there too, so you might find elk in those areas, if the burns are old enough for the grasses to sprout and seedlings to grow.

I carried a small day pack with cleaning stuff, water, plus survival gear should I have to stay out on a mountainside overnight for some reason.

I took a spotting scope with me but didn't use it. I used my binocular, as it was more than sufficient where we were hunting. If there is snow on the ground, take sunglasses. That sun glaring off the snow is very uncomfortable.

If Logcutter (Jayco) is reading this, he might chime in as he lives in that area and knows it very well.

One thing, however, as I said, it is steep, rugged country. Be in as good physical condition as possible.

Good luck.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm familiar with the Elk City area and you could be hunting everything from mountains blanketed in lodgepole and brush jungles, to walking gated logging roads and clearcuts, to hike-in wilderness areas.

Be prepared for snow and wet conditions even though it could be 60 degrees for a day time high. Freezing at night for sure. Unless your lucky on the weather, cotton is for lounging in camp. Think wool, fleece, good socks, good gloves, hat, and reliable broke in waterproof boots made for tough country. If you need something gear wise, Elk City isn't the place to find it. You'll likely have to make a 70 mile trip to the first real town.

I'd leave out the spotting scope, but bring your binos. Get familiar with maps and the layout terrain of the area you plan on hunting. I've seen non-residents show up who really did their homework and do real well on elk. On the other hand I've seen some miserable SOB's who break camp early because they simply didn't plan well.

A pack big enough to carry lightweight meat bags with knives, rope, and a bonesaw, and all the survival gear and food you'll need for a day out with a little extra for the emergency overnighter. People get lost in that area every year. Some never seen again. I prefer to be able to haul meat on the same pack that has all my daily gear because you can pack meat the first trip out.

Last edited by Lonny; 08/05/09.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
War Eagle, here is the Idaho Fish & Game Regulations hunting site, in case you don't have it already bookmarked.

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/cms/hunt/

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
S
S
I agree with the boots. if you have a rifle and a great pair of boots you can tolerate pretty much anything (for awhile at least).

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ditch the cotton clothes but since your returning to a cabin dont be too worried, wool by itself or fleece with decent light packable rain gear. will be warm during the day,Cold(to you) at night and am.your boots are fine.Good knife and sharpener weren't on your list , I assume your family will have pack frames and a hatchet.Elk are a lot of work when the fun part ends. Everyone I have ever taken into that country to hunt the first time all say: " is there somewhere more open and flat we can go?" they all say it without fail.If you do have success please tell everyone at home that all animals in Idaho have small racks and taste like crap smile have fun and good luck

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
good idea to have good boots and clothing. but alot of the time a pair of blue jeans and a carhart are plenty, especially hunting out of a cabin, no need to break the bank on a set of clothes for every day. get a few good pices of clothing for inclement weather and you will be fine.

the most important thing on your hunt will be your physical conditioning, as the post above hinted too, that country is verticle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rosco1
but alot of the time a pair of blue jeans and a carhart are plenty, especially hunting out of a cabin,

Poor advice for this country. Unless you want to be back to the cabin in time for a late breakfast and play cards for most of the day while your clothes dry, I'd bring some hunting clothes other than cotton.

Even in dry weather, the morning dew on brush and grass soaks down your cotton pant legs and into your socks, which wicks the moisture right into your waterproof boots. You'll be hating life by 9:00 AM.

Like I said in my earlier post, I've seen hunters on the verge of hypothermia because they were soaked to the bone in their cotton clothes. Several years ago, I ran into a couple guys hiking on the trail to the road that had garbage sacks over their torso's. One guy who was especially soaked and miserable looking was wearing a cowboy hat, and a flannel jacket of some sort with blue jeans. The last thing on their mind was killing an elk. Not surprisingly, they were packed up and gone the next morning.

Last edited by Lonny; 08/06/09.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

MY GEAR
This gear is what I use, not necessarily the best, just what I use.

HUNTING
Rifle: Remington 700CDL 30-06 wood/blue, with Leupold VX-III 3.5 x10 x40 scope, Leupold Rings and Federal Premium HIGH ENERGY 180 grain Nosler Partitions

Field Dressing Gear: 8" Buck Knife, 5" Buck Knife with gut hook, Wyoming Saw, ceramic/diamond sharpener and T.A.G. game bags. Game Saver citric acid spray, T.T.C. (Taxidermy Trophy Compound).

Range Finder: Nikon �Monark� 800
GPS: Garmin etrex Summit
Compass: Silva
Maps: USGS, BLM & USFS maps

BACKPACK HUNTING:
Backpack: Osprey �Exposure 66� (no longer in production � take a look at Osprey �Atmos 65�)
Binoculars: Leupold �Katmai� 10 x32
Backpack (for ultra light backpacking): REI �Cruise UL 60� (too light for hauling elk quarters)
Tent (bivouac): Black Diamond �One Shot� (also take a look at REI �Quarter Dome T1)
Tent (2-man): Sierra Designs "Clip Flashlight" or �REI Quarter Dome T2�
Tent (winter weather, 2 man): Moss "Stardome"
Tarp: GoLite 8�x10� Siltarp
Sleeping Bag: Western Mountaineering �Antelope� 5� goose down
Sleeping Pad: REI �Lite Core 1.5�

Stove (cold weather): MSR "Whispelite" or �Dragonfly�, white gas
Stove (warm weather): MSR �Pocket Rocket� or Optimus �Crux�, butane

Pots: Brand "X" aluminum Bowl, MSR Sierra Cup (large) & Titanium Mug (1 quart Nalgene bottle fits inside)
Canteen: Nalgene 1 liter
Water Bag: Platapus, 2 liter, roll-up
Water Filter: Katadyn "Hiker Pro"
Pocket Knife: Victorinox Swiss Army Knife - "Climber", �Tinker� or �Traveler�

ACCESSORIES
Flashlight: Mini Maglite (AA batteries) or Ultra Mini-Maglite (AAA batteries)
Headlamp: LED
Radios: HP �Talkabout� T5720 (emergencies only)
Camera: HP "Photo Smart C618� (7 years old - newer cameras are lighter, cost less and work better)

A FEW MORE RECOMMENDATIONS FOR YOUR BASE CAMP
Drive your pickup to the most remote place in the mountains that you can find and setup a base camp. Here's some gear that's too heavy/bulky for backpacking but it will make things more comfortable back at the base.

Dome Tents: I like the REI �Base Camp-6� for cooking and Cabelas �XPG-4� or North Face �VE-25� for sleeping.
Tarp: 12'x16' (set it up between the two tents)
Rope: 1/8" woven nylon, to hang the tarp on poles
Stove: two-burner, propane
Lantern: double mantle, propane
Cots: for sleeping up off the ground
Cooler: 120 quart, Igloo ($54 at Wal-Mart)
Table with folding legs
Camp Chairs
Plastic Water Jugs, 5-gallon

DAY HUNTING OUT OF A BASE CAMP
Binoculars: Leupold 10 x 42
Pack Frame: North Face �Back Shadow� (no longer in production, take a look at top-of-the-line Gregory and Kifaru packs)
Tent: North Face �VE-25� or Cabelas �XPG-4�
Sleeping Bag: Marmot -40� goose down & Gortex (buy at Wal-Mart; Colelman bag, Qualofil insul, rated at 0 � for $48 and at -10� for $70)
Sleeping Pad: Thermarest "Camp Rest"
Pots: MSR Alpine "Guide" with extras added

WHAT TO WEAR
I do all my hunting on foot, much of it is day hiking out of a base camp. I also do backpack hunting. This is what works for me. In different situations, the list will be different. I like to summarize so that I can remember. Here it goes:

NO COTTON CLOTHING - The only thing that I carry that has any cotton in it, is a bandanna, which has multiple uses. If cotton clothing gets wet, it doesn�t dry and it promotes hypothermia.

DRESS IN LAYERS - I dress in layers so that I can adapt to a changing environment and to my level of exercise.

BE PREPARED - The Boy Scout motto. I wear the kind of clothing that will perform well in a variety of environments and I carry enough extra in my daypack so that I can adapt to changes. I also carry a lightweight tarp, part of a foam pad and a fire starter kit. With this stuff I can survive an unplanned night on the trail and experience only misery, not hypothermia.

My first layer is polypropylene long johns and briefs, Patagonia lightweight

I use wool/nylon blend socks like Smart Wool with cushion soles and I carry an extra pair in my day pack.

Boots: Danner � Mountain Light II Hiker�. I also keep a pair of insulated boots with rubber rands at base camp.

Next is a layer of wool/nylon blend. I like six-pocket pants and orange long sleeve shirts with pockets. Shirt: Cabelas "Storm Cloth".

I carry an ultra-light goose down vest AND a polyester fleece �hoodie� in my daypack.

I also carry a Nylon/Gortex parka, which doubles as rain wear.

I carry at least two pair of gloves; leather/nylon driving gloves and wool gloves.

I wear a knitted wool/nylon watch cap with a small bill and carry a ball cap in my day pack. Both are orange.

I wear gaiters, OR �Crockodiles� Gortex/nylon. They work in snow or mud and even when the under brush is covered in heavy dew.

I always carry a pair of sunglasses and a lightweight orange vest so that I can take off my shirt or put on my parka and still comply with Colorado's orange requirement.

I don't carry a big heavy coat or insulated bibs. They are too heavy for me and when they're on I can't do anything but sit there or I start sweating. I suppose that if I were riding a horse it would be different.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Lonny
Originally Posted by rosco1
but alot of the time a pair of blue jeans and a carhart are plenty, especially hunting out of a cabin,

Poor advice for this country. Unless you want to be back to the cabin in time for a late breakfast and play cards for most of the day while your clothes dry, I'd bring some hunting clothes other than cotton.

Even in dry weather, the morning dew on brush and grass soaks down your cotton pant legs and into your socks, which wicks the moisture right into your waterproof boots. You'll be hating life by 9:00 AM.

Like I said in my earlier post, I've seen hunters on the verge of hypothermia because they were soaked to the bone in their cotton clothes. Several years ago, I ran into a couple guys hiking on the trail to the road that had garbage sacks over their torso's. One guy who was especially soaked and miserable looking was wearing a cowboy hat, and a flannel jacket of some sort with blue jeans. The last thing on their mind was killing an elk. Not surprisingly, they were packed up and gone the next morning.

Last edited by rosco1; 08/07/09.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
War Eagle

Alot of good stuff here, We hunted unit 17B above Red River Bar
and into the Selway-Bitterroot in the 90's. It's some of the roughest country you can find, with blowdowns in all the canyons. We had horses and it still was very challenging. If that is your destination, be in the best possible shape you can be in, and have the best gear you can afford. The answers Lonny and Leanwolf gave bear my experience there. Lots of game though back then.

Craig

Last edited by snarpezal; 08/07/09.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've spent some time in the Elk City area, some of it hunting. The mountains aren't nearly as high as those in the southern half of the state, but they can definitely give you a good workout. It can be pretty wet, too, both rain and snow. Temps in October can run from the '80's down to dang cold. It's unpredictable that time of year.
You won't need a spotting scope. For the most part, it's pretty thick around there. Good binocs will work fine.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Sorry for the delay in response guys...I was mostly waiting to respond until after I spoke with my guide/host a little bit more. I really appreciate everything that you have all contributed.

I am slowly getting a few items of wool clothing together. I have obtained a pair of pants, a shirt will hopefully in the next week or two with long johns not far after that. Still working on a good jacket though. I have a few pairs of wool socks already and picked up another pair of ragg wool gloves today. I think I should be good to go by the time the hunt rolls around.

Something I would like a few opinions/facts on though: I understand wool. I understand its make-up, the properties of the fibers, why is stays warm when wet...I get it. I do not get fleece, but I see more than a handful of recommendations for it. Can someone give me a quick rundown on fleece and perhaps why it is almost as good or comparable to wool?

Someone mentioned knives...I have several between me and my fiance, as well as a sharpener or three. I have a bone saw and will pick up some game some game bags.

I have been informed not to worry about a spotting scope. However, he did say that my pack may not measure up. He thinks he has a spare but informed me I should keep my eyes open....worst case scenario is that we will "make due" with what we have.

He hinted at the mention of 2 atv's possibly being included in the trip--he usually hunts off horses but said he is not trailering them to this location for this hunt. I forgot to ask if they were restricted to the roads only (atv's, not horses) or if they could be utilized for packing meat out by driving to the animal.

I am gonna need some new boots though. Luckily my employer has a payroll deduct program set up with Cintas (they happen to be dealers for Rocky and a few other manufacturers) so I will see if I can find anything through them.

Does that pretty much cover things?

Thanks again guys for your help on this one. And those that were willing to offer me equipment for loan have my deepest thanks, that means alot guys.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There are some areas around there with lots of logging roads where atvs could be useful. Don't count on getting one to the deceased, though.
It's highly likely that a backpack could be in order. If you only plan to use a new pack for meat, take a good look at Cabelas Alaskan I. The bag is just that - a big bag with a couple big side pockets. You can put a lot of meat in that bag and cinch it up tight with the attached strings. However, if you plan to use it for backpacking, etc, the single big bag is a pain when you need something from the bottom.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Yeah, I was kinda worried I may need another pack. Would it be good if I just got a pack frame to keep in the truck. Pack what I could out on my backpack and on the return swap out for the frame to finish?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1lessdog, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 1lesfox, 73 invisible), 2,572 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,515
Posts18,509,484
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.