Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
My uncle is offering to sell me a Winchester model 70 stainless 375 H&H it has what he described as a custom maple stock, he traded the original synthetic stock in on this stock. So I guess this gun came with a synthetic stock, open sights, and he described it as the same style feed as pre 64 action. The gun has some sort of quick release mounts (I beleive talley's) and a 2.2x9 Swarovski. I have never heard of this power of scope. Did Swaro ever make one? He will include 8-10 boxes of ammo. Obviously I have not seen the gun, but my cousin is bringing it to me next week. He bought this gun new about 13 years ago for an African Cape Buffalo trip and has not used it since. Now my uncle is well healed, wealthy ehat ever you want to call it, but he has no idea what the gun is worth now. He was going to have cabelas appraise it. I worry they will value it way to high and I will not be able to afford it. So I wanted your guys opinion on the value. I know a fair amount about guns, but have never been interested in winchesters. So please help me out.

Thanks so guys.

GB1

S
S
Yeah the Cabela's here in Glendale is on crack when it comes to pricing firearms.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I never sell my nephews guns, I give them to them. I do think Cabela's would give a fair estimate of value. If in doubt, take it to a local gunsmith for a second opinion.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Accumark,

I would break it down this way,rifle is worth $900, without stock, scope is going to be $1200 and the stock... well custom work is very tough to price without pictures, but let us say a minumum of $400. So we have a grand total of $2500. A box of run of the mill 375 ammo starts at $50. The price on this package can go substansily higher based upon quality and maker of the stock.

BigBullet
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness.

https://www.facebook.com/Natal-Outfitters-195443607135825/
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I would have to see the stock before I made a quote on it..There are just too many butchers out there and the fact that its maple is enough for suspecion at least..

Is it checkered and what is the quality of the checkering, how many lines to the inch. glassed or bedded, what style of stock.

Based on your description I would price it at no more than $500, sans the scope, $700 to $800 with a used Swaro scope that old in that it has been discontinued for some time I am thinking, but a picture might change my mind a little or a lot.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by atkinson

Based on your description I would price it at no more than $500, sans the scope.

Are you buying or selling for $500 Ray? I will take 4 if you are selling CRF Model 70 H&H rifles for $500. Assuming the stock is serviceable, I believe that the rifle should bring between $800 and $1200. Add at least another $600 for the scope and ammo.

Who is John Galt?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I paid $700 for mine NIB 6 years ago. The synthetic stock it came with can't be worth much, but without a good description of or seeing the replacement stock it is hard to guess what that might be worth. When Winchester rifle temporarily went t!ts up the price on those rifles skyrocketed to $1200. If someone wants to pay that much for mine I'll gladly part with it.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
MrFudd,
In this case without inspection of the stock, I see a parts rifle perhaps and sounds like possibly poorly put together, so its only worth the price of a used post 64 barreled action with the control feed. I would buy it to make a custom rifle out of it and would only use the bolt and bolt body..I buy actions and rifles all the time for that purpose.

Like I said, I would have to see the rifle or at least a picture before I would pay any more than that, and I might change my mind considerably, but based on his description I won't budge! . Any one can buy a rifle, but buying it right is a better option. I can and do buy well used but serviceable pre 64s for $600 to $700 depending on condition.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
MrFudd,
In this case without inspection of the stock, I see a parts rifle perhaps and sounds like possibly poorly put together, so its only worth the price of a late Win. barreled action with the control feed. I would buy it to make a custom rifle out of it and would only use the bolt and bolt body..I buy actions and rifles all the time for that purpose.

Like I said, I would have to see the rifle or at least a picture before I would pay any more than that, and I might change my mind considerably, but based on his description I won't budge! . Any one can buy a rifle, but buying it right is a better option. I can and do buy well used but serviceable pre 64s for $450 to $600 depending on condition, and consider them a better buy than this rifle as described..If the stock on this gun is really well done then the price goes up considerable, but being maple would discount it for my purposes. The quality of the wood makes a big difference also.

Just my personal opine and reply to your post.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Without pictures, I would go as high as 600.00. Just tell him you are sending back 600.00 in cash. Ask him if that will cover it?

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
IC B3

E
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
E
Ask him to see what Cabela's will buy it for not what it is worth. Tell him you will match what they will give for it. They will not over pay for the gun.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would tread softly with your uncle when discussing value as he may be enamored with the maple stock, but resale value can be low. If you get it, tell him the stock is too nice to scratch up hunting and put a laminate or synthetic on it. laugh
My local gunshop had a nice maple sporter stock for a Springfield on the shelf for 4 years, it might still be there. Had it been walnut it wouldn't have lasted a month.
I sold a blue/walnut M70 Classic 375 H&H with nice factory wood a year back with dies and brass, no scope, for $900.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

486 members (16gage, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 1lesfox, 53 invisible), 2,798 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,550
Posts18,510,283
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.