Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
AFP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I am 49 and wear eyeglasses. My vision still corrects to 20/15 and I can discern 1/4 diopter changes at the optometrist. This means I am fussy as to imperfections in viewing through binocs. I am bothered if the barreles aren't exactly lined up, and I want binocs that are not fussy as to head position.

The best binocs I ever had for all that were Leica 10x50 BAs. These were great for Texas. However, at 40z, they got left in the truck when I started hunting at home in Oregon again.

I looked through both 8x42 and 10x42 Geovids and wasn't terribly impressed, though that look was in a store, not in the woods. I also looked though some Ultravids, but since I was leaning toward the Geovids I don't remember anything either way about the Ultravids. The store is 2 hours away, so I won'r be back for a long time.

My biggest concern is non-critical head position, and the Cust service rep at Leica said that was primarily a consequence of exit pupil when camparing similar binocs.

For eyeglass wearers, what has your experiences been with head position on 8x42 vs 10x42 high end binocs?

GB1

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I have the 8x42 Ultravids that I use with glasses on. very forgiving of head positioning. certainly much more so than the 10x could/would be. resolution is stellar. I've used both 10x42 and 12x50 and I'll never go back!

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Get the 8x42s, or preferably, the 7x42s (even mo' betta on the counts that matter to you).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wear eyeglasses and have a set of 7x42 Ultravids and 10x42 Geovids. I have no issue nor concern with eye relief, head position, or getting a complete view out of either.

Now having said that, I recently got my hands on a set of Swarovski EL 8.5x42 and the eye relief was noticeably better/more generous and the binoculars seemed to fit me a bit better than the Leica.

My advice.... get your hands on several sets of binoculars from the Big 3 and see which one fits YOU best.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by FOsteology

My advice.... get your hands on several sets of binoculars from the Big 3 and see which one fits YOU best.

Never wrong, there.

IC B2

AFP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

I agree 100% and everytime I do that, the Leica seems better for me. I have at least narrowed it down to Leica, and it's just a matter of which one................

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
I would opt for the 10x50 Leica, its around 36oz I think, and an awsome glass. Of the 42mms go with the 8 or the 7x imo, both great but I thought the 7x reminded me more of the view I get with a top 8x50, which is awsome so I went with the 7x. My top 8x42s are the els(8.5) or the fls imo, or thats what I got anyway.

Last edited by casscade; 08/06/09.
AFP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Leica lists them at 5.3 oz, which will still get them left in the truck............

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Blaine;

Do yourself a favor, and try the 8x32 Ultravids as well. Smaller, more compact, lighter, and the glass is easily that of the 8x42s. If they'd fit my hands better, they'd have stayed and the x42s would have gone. And, to this day, it was .... that close.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Blaine;

Do yourself a favor, and try the 8x32 Ultravids as well. Smaller, more compact, lighter, and the glass is easily that of the 8x42s. If they'd fit my hands better, they'd have stayed and the x42s would have gone. And, to this day, it was .... that close.

I have to agree here, I did the same and find the 8x32 Ultravids the best bino's I have ever tried and now own.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Blaine: I wear glasses, too(sometimes I take them off)and did not have any problems with the 10x42 UV's at all. I like the fact that the eycups "step down" with the UV's.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Blaine;

Do yourself a favor, and try the 8x32 Ultravids as well.

Agreed. The 8x32 will do 99%+ what the 42mm version will do but is quite a bit handier/lighter/smaller than the full-sized version. But not everyone likes the size of them. Me, I love mine.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
+1 on 8X32. I have Leica 8X42 BA's. My brother has 10X42 BN's. I wear glasses and do prefer the 8X over 10X. The 8's always seem to give me a fast and sharp picture in both wooded, brushy and open environments. If I were going to replace my 8X42 though I would only be looking at the 8X32...mainly due to weight. The prior BA and BN versions I looked through in 8X32 seemed equal in use and sharpness to my 8X42. I imagine the Ultravids are even better.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I recently got my hands on a set of Swarovski EL 8.5x42 and the eye relief was noticeably better/more generous and the binoculars seemed to fit me a bit better than the Leica.

Same here FOst. For whatever reason, the EL's are significantly "mo better" for me in that regard. The next ten people could likely have a different take.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Blaine,
I wear eyeglasses too but I have gotten into the habit of pushing my glasses up and viewing binoculars with my naked eye.
This seems to keep my eyeglasses from getting smudged so much and gives I think a better view through the binocular.

I have noticed while viewing without my glasses that Swaro gave a better image than Leica, while they were about equal viewing with my glasses.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by StrayDog
Blaine,
I wear eyeglasses too but I have gotten into the habit of pushing my glasses up and viewing binoculars with my naked eye.
This seems to keep my eyeglasses from getting smudged so much and gives I think a better view through the binocular.

Bingo! I do the same, push my eye glasses up, and look thru the binox with my naked eyes.
Interestingly, before I had cataract surgery to install new lenses in each eye, I would have to set the binox diopter setting at its max negative setting to see thru the binox. Now, with new lenses in each eye, the dipoter setting is just a tad negative on each binox barrel for perfect unaided viewing.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Since you indicate a sensitivity to imperfections, I will agree with the several posters who have voted for the 8x, or even the 7x. Regardless of what they cost, or who makes them, all binoculars are a collection of compromises, and as such all have imperfections. The alpha possess imperfections to a lesser degree, but don't eliminate them. One thing magnification does is bring things closer, but it also magnifies everything else as well. Heat waves, image shake, and it also magnifies whatever imperfections are in the binocular.

So I'd tend to go with whatever binocular of whatever manufacturer that suits you best, and recommend that if at all possible that you look at several pair of the preferred model and see if you can cherry pick a little. One thing I have seen in some threads in some forums where binoculars get tested with boosted magnification, is that it is pretty common for even the alpha to have more variation between barrels than you think there would be. So all in all, I think you might be better served with 7-8x. Also the bigger exit pupil in the 7-8x42 will be more forgiving of head placement too.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
One more to consider is the Minox HG 8.5x52 (or 10x52). It has great eye relief and an extra large exit pupil which gives more leeway on head placement. Maybe it isn't one of the big 3, but it is very good glass. They are very compact and lightweight, especially considering the size. Nice bino's all the way around. The only downside on them is the field of view, but it isn't that much of a downside....

JCM

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I've been using the 10x42 trinovid for 10 years and love'em.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
AFP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Guys,

Thanks for all the responses and input. I guess I'll do like everyone else, and accept the input of those who are confirming what I want to believe..... grin grin grin grin grin grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (Amos63, Bigd7378, 7mm_Loco, AnthonyB, 9 invisible), 1,507 guests, and 852 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,083
Posts18,501,668
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.