Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
We're looking at our 1st travel trailer, and plan to take a 4-wheeler. I've heard fumes from a machine can be an issue inside the living area for toy haulers. I could put the machine in the truck if I went with a bumper pull, but I'm leaning toward 5th wheel after following both during high winds. Anybody seen a platform/extension for the back bumper stout enough to haul a 800 lb machine?

We're thinking about something in the 25' range, should I bite the bullet and go with the 5th wheel?

Thanks, Jim

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wifey and I just went through this and ended up buying a regular pull type 30ft Terry trailer. Love it. We load our motorcycles and larger camping gear items plus firewood etc in the back of the truck bed, hook up the trailer and go. For us this made sense as we still use the pickup as a pickup for other things as well and a 5th wheel setup in the back took away too much utility from our pickup. So far I have not found pulling a 30ft trailer to be all that tough but my heavy duty big block 4x4 F-250 weighs in at 6200lbs empty which may make a difference. I also have air bag helpers on the rear and 33x12.5 6 ply tires which I am certain make pulling such a trailer more palatable. I have had the rig on some pretty poor roads and parked it in some pretty small camping spots and with practice and patience it is not a real detriment to the smaller undeveloped campsights that we prefer.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For a trailer as small as a 25 footer I would DEFINATELY go pull type. Might re think this if trying to pull a 35 or longer but see no need for such a monstrosity.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I pulled a 5th wheeler for 10 years. They are very stable especially in cross winds as compared to bumper hitch models.

I have seen larger trailers with a separate compartment at the rear of the trailer used for hauling toys such as motorcycles and ATV's. Doubt these would transfer fumes into the living area. Such trailers may be larger, however, than you want.

Jim

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A bumper pull with equalizer bars is very stable. Plus, an extra 800 lb in the truck will help even more. With that weight, you might need the bars anyway, depending on the type of truck you have.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
i would say for your idea of 25 foot i would go bumper pull

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
We own a 2005 Arctic Fox bumper pull that I will no longer pull. This trailer is very comfortable and well appointed. It sets on a lease lot and the next time it gets towed will be by the next owner. I have an '01 F250 diesel with airbags, 1000# weight distributing system and it is a real "white knuckler" to pull. Have redistributed the weight all over to overcome some dangerous swaying. Which, btw, I have double friction sway devices on our weight distributing system. I spoke to a knowledgable RV dealer about this problem. Explained all and demonstrated our setup. He said he could not sell me anything else to dimish this problem. All I can say is be very careful about large, 30' plus, bumper pull trailers. Good luck!

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What Rock Chuck said. I have been in some horrendous winds with a bumper pull and had no problem, get a good equalizing hitch and load for proper tongue weight and you should have clear sailing.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a 28 ft. bumper pull , and agree with what Safariman said about having the pickup bed for toys and such . Be sure and get one with slides ! I didn't and could kick myself .

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MTGunner
We own a 2005 Arctic Fox bumper pull that I will no longer pull. This trailer is very comfortable and well appointed. It sets on a lease lot and the next time it gets towed will be by the next owner. I have an '01 F250 diesel with airbags, 1000# weight distributing system and it is a real "white knuckler" to pull. Have redistributed the weight all over to overcome some dangerous swaying. Which, btw, I have double friction sway devices on our weight distributing system. I spoke to a knowledgable RV dealer about this problem. Explained all and demonstrated our setup. He said he could not sell me anything else to dimish this problem. All I can say is be very careful about large, 30' plus, bumper pull trailers. Good luck!

How long is your rig?

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by weaselsRus
We're looking at our 1st travel trailer, and plan to take a 4-wheeler. I've heard fumes from a machine can be an issue inside the living area for toy haulers. I could put the machine in the truck if I went with a bumper pull, but I'm leaning toward 5th wheel after following both during high winds. Anybody seen a platform/extension for the back bumper stout enough to haul a 800 lb machine?

We're thinking about something in the 25' range, should I bite the bullet and go with the 5th wheel?
Thanks, Jim

I pull both bumper pulls and goose necks/5th wheels in camp trailers, stock trailers, and equipment trailers.

5th wheels pull straighter in crosswinds, you can turn sharper, they will distribute weight better.

But for recreation and most other uses, a 5th wheel dominates the truck bed and is a waste of space--I like my fiberglass toppers--they are very useful too. For all but the heaviest of loads, I use bumper pulls.

There is a line of TT's out there that have a open deck for ATV's, they appear to come with the deck on the front or on the back of the trailer. I think they are called ROO's. I've seen them on the road, but can't find them on the current website.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
A properly set of travel trailer WILL tow just as nicely as a fifth wheel. I've had travel trailers up to 34' and now have a 33' fifth wheel.

A properly set up travel trailer doesn't mean slapping a set of W/D bars on it and calling it a day. You need to have the right sized bars,and some form of sway control. Friction bars ARE NOT effective sway control for trailer more than a couple thousand pounds.

You won't know what the right sized bars are,until you run across some scales with the trailer loaded like you're going on a trip.

Its not surprising to hear of a 30' trailer being a "white knuckle" driving experience if all you're running is friction bars.

I ran the Equal-i-zer brand W/D that has integrated sway control. They worked like a champ with the 34' trailer that was 9000+ lbs.

Another to consider is the Reese Dual-cam sway control.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by curdog4570
I have a 28 ft. bumper pull , and agree with what Safariman said about having the pickup bed for toys and such . Be sure and get one with slides ! I didn't and could kick myself .

Ours is a Trail lite by R-Vision and has the 14" slide, we could not be happier. I have even pulled it with the wife's '99 Blazer without trouble as long as the equalizer bars & anti-sway bars are hooked up.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I would not worry about fumes inside the trailers. Turn the fuel off when you park your ATV and they are fine. If you don't go the toy-hauler route, you can always get a top of the bed rack to haul your ATV there. This gives you the bed to haul firewood and other things.

I have a crew-cab F250 and have pulled bumper pulls up to 22K and have not had any "white knuckle" issues. I have pulled goosenecks up to 36' long and about the same weight. I much prefer the gooseneck but these are limited to equipment and horse trailers. Travel trailers use a true 5th wheel plate and take up your whole bed. If you have a short bed, you would have to buy a special plate that pivots the trailer away from the corner of the cab or they will hit.

5th wheels are better suited to the 30+ trailers IMHO.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MTGunner

Reason for sway is under inflated tires on the truck. If you run the tires on the truck at vehicle manufacturers recommended tire pressure you are running under inflated tires when pulling the trailer inflate your tires to the maximum tire pressure tire is rated for on the tire and check tire pressures regularly.

Most Dealers inflate the tires to the pressure recommended by the vehicle manufacturer and the pressure is for a smooth comfortable ride not for hauling or pulling weight. By running your tires at tire manufacturers pressure rating will give you a safer ride and longer tire wear on you car with greater fuel economy.

If you are pulling anything that large you want also want a Class "C" Hitch on the truck and not tow the trailer on the bumper.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good advice Sir, I know I keep my tires at the tire rated max all the time, they last a whole lot longer. 'Sides, if I want a car ride I'll buy a dang car!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another thing that really hasn't been mentioned here is that on the last two Pickup that I've bought the tires that came on the truck where one or two ply tires on the side. They are car tires. Truck Tires should be at least eight or ten ply tires.

The reason most Pickup manufacturers go this route is it's the cheapest tire they can get away with, it's for the soft ride, and most pickup buyers never take their P/U off the Highway and never put a load on them except to carry something to bulky to carry in or on their car.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
We have a 26' bumperpull trailer and my F-250 has rear airbags and 10pr tires. I really don't need the hitch with equalizing bars, but it calms things down back there, so I use them on trips, along with a friction swaybar.
If I was going to haul two 4-wheelers and my existing trailer I would go with what dennisinAz said and get the on-top-of-the-bed setup that loads from the side. If I was going to go out and buy a trailer and haul two 4wheelers, I'd get a toyhauler. A friend has a 26' toyhauler and he loves it, and I can see that they are a good way to go.
Every type of trailer/hauler has its advantages and its drawbacks.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A 5th wheel is easier to manauever. However I have a bumper pull 25ft trailer for the simple reason it keeps the back of the truck open for stuff...or if you have a topper on your truck. I normally take a home chest freezer in my truck on long trips and with a 5th wheel that wouldn't work out so great.

Otto is my co-pilot.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
please what ever you chose please have enough truck to pull camper

don't be this guy
[Linked Image]

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (2500HD, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, AdventureBound, 9 invisible), 4,132 guests, and 697 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,810
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.