Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#3213789 08/08/09
N
OP Offline
N
Looking at a Tika Lite in 7-08. Any opinions on the Tika rifles?

In my many years,
I have come to a conclusion,
that one useless man is a shame,
two is a LawFirm, and three or
more is a Congress.
- John Adams -
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Excellent choice, and welcome to the Fire!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I'd own several if I could get myself to accept the plastic parts. or if someone made aftermarket replacement components from steel and or at least aluminum.

Welcome.

Something clever here.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Drop back and look for an older Model 595, 695, or 658 - less plastic, more wood, same accuracy.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've got a Lite (stainless) in .308. It's light, shoots straight, nice trigger, and was priced attractively. Other than aesthetics (and maybe not being a fan of the factory rings, I put Dednutz on mine) I've got nothing but good things to say about it thus far.

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've never liked the their looks but that's a subjective thing. After handling one I've got to admit the fit and balence seemed pretty good. They're supposed to be accurate and a lot of people like them. They look like they'd be durable and they've been around a little while. Don't know why it wouldn't be a good hunting rifle.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Logically thinking, I can't see anything wrong with the plastic mag... um, trig guard? bolt shroud? I can't remember for sure if they use plastic for those exact parts but it really doesn't matter if it doesn't matter to the buyer.

There are tons of those rifle out there in use & everybody seems to love them.

I'm a self admitted dullard of sorts when it comes to my plas-phobia.

grin

seriously it's not a phobia for me either tho, I trust the parts, they just don't appeal to me.

Very nice rifles.

Something clever here.

I've owned two, a 7-08 and now a .223, both are accurate as in easily sub MOA with ammunition they like. I'd prefer walnut and such but for the price I've not been able to get better. The good news is you can't hurt them and they shoot well, both of mine are/were Tikka T3 Lite Stainless.

Gerald
Thomas Jefferson said-"the people get the government they deserve"-some of you have been very bad.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Tikka 695 in 280 is one of the best shooting rifles I own. I don't see why the newer ones would be any different. They also have a super slick action and feed flawlessly from the single stack magazine I wouldn't worry much about the plastic parts, they're probably tougher than the aluminum other makers use. It's just older codgers, me included, that think everything should be made of milled steel.

`Bring Enough Gun`
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I've got a Lite (stainless) in .308. It's light, shoots straight, nice trigger, and was priced attractively. Other than aesthetics (and maybe not being a fan of the factory rings, I put Dednutz on mine) I've got nothing but good things to say about it thus far

Had the same rifle. Put a Limbsaver on it and used Talley Lightweights . Had it not cracked its bolt shroud I would probably still own it. My rifle shot better then a custom .308 I had built on a 700 action.

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'll admit that plastic parts on my shooting irons don't really turn my crank, but I have carried a Glock with a plastic frame in a duty belt for the last 7 or 8 years, getting in and out of a car, beating all the crud out of it, and other than being shiny in a place or two, it looks mostly like it did when they issued it to me.

Tikkas are fine rifles. They shoot very well, and at an attractive price.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any thoughts on stepping up to an Sako A7 for a little more? Basically an improved T3 - I tried and tried but just could never warm up to the feel of the Tikka's but will admit they have a stellar reputation.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I'll admit that plastic parts on my shooting irons don't really turn my crank, but I have carried a Glock with a plastic frame in a duty belt for the last 7 or 8 years, getting in and out of a car, beating all the crud out of it, and other than being shiny in a place or two, it looks mostly like it did when they issued it to me.

That is assuming the Materials used on the Tikka are the same as Glock. WHen I called Beretta customer service and told them about it I was told to just send it in and they would send me a new one. 10 minutes later they told me they were out of stock and it would be 2 weeks before they got there. I ordered one from Bolsa Gunsmithing 45 dollars for a piece that if made of plastic reinforced with steel or aluminum never would have cracked. The Shroud does not serve any purpose except that of being a decorative cover for the back end of the bolt and covering the back end of the firing pin/cocking piece If one broke it would not mean the end of a hunt but a lot of crap could get back there.

Like I said before had it not happened I would still own it.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Any thoughts on stepping up to an Sako A7 for a little more? Basically an improved T3 - I tried and tried but just could never warm up to the feel of the Tikka's but will admit they have a stellar reputation.

Sako A7 advantage is the model 75 action where you can feed cartidges thru the ejection port easily. The feed lips are made of metal as well(wonder why?) . Your better off with the T3 for the price they are charging for the A7

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I own quite a few different guns. All my Rugers have aftermarket triggers. All my Remingtons are bedded and have aftermarket triggers, I even have a couple of customs with all the bells and whistles. I did nothing to my Tikka but throw a scope on it, and that is all it needed. It is a true hunting rifle. Nothing to dick with, no trigger job needed, no bedding. Just shoot tiny groups and go hunting.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
What Dogcatcher said!
Mine is a T3 Lite SS in '06. Shot the first load I tried under 1". I just went back to the store and bought 20 more boxes, good to go.

Oh! Federal blue box 150 gr. soft point.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Shooters & hunters that know the Tikka rifles know the quality and accuracy that comes along with the budget priced rifle built by Sako in the same factory in Finland as the new 85 Sako series....same barrel/trigger as the $1400 Sako..kind of a no brainer...once you get past the space age plastic that is used in the trigger gaurd...bolt shroud and magazine...the earlier 595/695 series are at least one pound heavier than the T3 series...Beretta imports the T3s and Stoeger imported the 595/695 series...I have several of each series in ass't calibers/variations....my favorite being the 6.5x55....pick up one and cycle the bolt...I'll bet it comes home with you...pic shows average three shot group from my out of the box Swede with my handloads....Leo bases w/Burris Sig rings...T3 rings suck big time...toss 'em..... [Linked Image]

Last edited by tikkanut; 08/08/09.

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I set up my son-in-law's T3 300 WSM. Wasn't real impressed until I shot it. First box of ammo, Fusion 165s, it's shooting sub-MOA 3 shot groups one after another. I think bedding the action would be a waste of time and dough.

First rifle I ever handled that the trigger didn't need adjustment, or more commonly, replacement...see Remington, f'rinstance. Broke like glass at about 3 lbs.

I love the clip! Stacks the cartridges straight, not staggered. It flawlessly feeds the WSMs as smooth as butter. It doesn't rattle, installs and releases with ease, and I think it would take an 8 pound hammer to break it.

My next rifle, if and when that happens, almost certainly will be a Tikka T3 in 270 WSM. About as sweet as it gets, especially considering the price.

Last edited by sir_springer; 08/08/09.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Ugly, Ugly, Ugly. Hate the plastic but my do they shoot

Greg

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T
T3 6.5 Swede in lam/ss w/Nikon 3-12
[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 1moredeer, 17CalFan, 1234, 160user, 50 invisible), 3,188 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,660
Posts18,534,038
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.