Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
sjs Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
My sons are taking me on a Russian Boar Hunt for my 60th birthday present. They tell me the shooting is very close and fast and scopes are not recommended. The boar they want to go for are supposedly in the 200-300 pound range.

Like many others, my collection of firearms changes and evolves constantly. I went to scopes exclusively a while back when my old eyes just couldn't handle iron sights anymore, especially in the shadows of the woods. As a result, the only thing I have right now with iron sights is an M1 Garand, an M1A NM Springfield Armory and a .357 magnum Ruger GP100. I never used the two military rifles for hunting but see no reason they would not be fine.

I have never hunted boar and based on what I have read I am guessing the .357 is a little light, though I do have some Buffalo Bore 180 gr.hard cast, flat nose ammo on hand. I also know the gas systems on the M1 and M1A are not meant for heavy bullets over slow burning powder. I also do not reload anymore.

I would appreciate any suggestions for factory ammo loads for the M1 and M1A that would be appropriate.

Thank you.

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd not be worried about using your rifles with scopes, unless they are all topped with fixed 12x.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I would suggest a Revolver.45 Colt,44mag,41Mag etc. with hard cast boolits.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
if your hunting with good dogs all you need is one of these [Linked Image]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How about a 1895 Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 with a ghost ring peep sight?

`Bring Enough Gun`
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Either the M1 or the M1A, but be sure to attach the bayonet. Them things can be tough.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
sjs,
You didn't say where you are hunting these "Russian boar", but if it is with dogs, it will probably be in a swamp or the mountains. Shooting is close, and handguns like the .357, .41 Mag and .44 Mag are okay, if the pig lets you get that close without charging you first.

Most of my dog hunting partners have now relegated their handguns to backup after some scary episodes with real bruisers.

A Marlin 336 in .35 Remington is their choice.
I use a .30-30 or an HK-91, depending on the situation.
You can buy a Marlin used and sell it later if you want to and get all your money back.

If you are not quick with iron sights, mount a one-piece Picatinny rail on the Marlin 336 with a red dot sight like an Eotech, C-more or something low in 30mm or larger. The Bushnell, Burris, Tasco will all work. Sight it in for 25 yards, and it will be dead on again about 125 to 150, depending on the height.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]
I've trapped and killed alot of Russian Boar. We were infested with them for 5-6 years.

Buy some ammo and cycle it thru your long guns before you go hunting to see if it functions properly.

I've shot them in traps with a .44 magnum, but there was a nice steel fence between us.

The only reason I would not suggest using a handgun is that things can happen quickly when fooling with hogs.

If your on the ground using dogs, you better be quick and a good shot. Most folks handle long guns better than pistols and you have a better choice of bullets with more energy.

You also increase the element of danger to yourself and the folks around you when using a pistol. If you use one, know what's in the back ground before you shoot. Same with the rifle but, the pistol requires extra care.

If you are in a stand overlooking a baited area, then the pistol would be fine. Just make sure you have a good shot, following up wounded piggies in thick brush is not fun.

Best,

JM.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Win 94 in 30-30 is all you need in a rifle , Pistol 44 mag or 45 Colt will get the job done. I killed my last one with my 45 acp Springfield. Hornady 230 gr XTP.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I've hunted hogs with both irons and scopes. When using the latter I stick with a 1-3 or 1.5-5 variable, with the scope on it's lowest setting. Distance is not the issue, but light is. I hunt in heavy woods and the light gathering abilities of a scope at low power are appreciated in the early morning and late afternoon, when the hogs are more naturally active.

I don't hunt with dogs, but if you are going to the irons are probably a better choice. Many hunt operators frown on scopes as the reduced field of view can lead to the shooting of dogs which are on the hog. And in that situation you are shooting from a matter of feet, not yards.

Handgun hunting isn't my thing, but I always carry a .44 Special or 45 Colt on my hip.Prefer heavy XTPs over hardcast. A couple of times I've had to crawl into some thick stuff and wouldn't have been as comfortable with a .357. In rifles any deer cartridge will work, but in handguns I would like more punch.

Not that familiar with the military hardware you have, but if they will reliably cycle hunting ammo you should be go to go.

You will have a great time....report and pics when you return!

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

IC B3

S
sjs Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks much guys. We are hunting in TN on a large area that claims to be fair chase, but I guess they all do. I think it will include some stand hunting, some spot and stalk and some with dogs.

I took my Win.M70,CRF,.06 out today with a 3-9X Nikon and practiced shooting quickly from field positions. I think on 3X I can still get a very fast sight picture and see clearly enough right up to my feet. I don't need to worry about limiting my load as with the M1 or M1A and it is zeroed with Federal Premium High Energy 180g. Partitions, so I think I am going with that.

I appreciate all the comments. Especially the funny ones. I'll let you know how it turns out (unless I get skunked).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wild (so called russian) boars are the main game here and according to our perspective I would say a .30 cal with .180 grains bullets is an appropriate choice, no matter the kind of hunt you will perform. Personally, I would not try to hunt them driven by the dogs with something lighter if big bulls are targetted.

I consider handgun loads far too light for that game. I saw much more powerful bullets (.270, .270 WSM, 8x57, 7x64, .300 winne, ...) that didn't stuck them in their tracks and in that case you'll need an exit hole and a blood trail to retrieve it.

I know a cop that needed 4 .357 rounds right in the head to stop a big one of those.

Just my 2 cents.

Va t'in tch�re !
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
we kill'em down here with knifes and dogs as well as guns. got to have good catch dog to hold the hog while you go in and stick'em. theres a outfit in cotulla tx that books hog hunts with knifes. tred barts filmed a episode of his show there

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
IMHO, you really don't need a heavy, premium bullet. Also, IMHO, a '06 150gr WW Power Point would work just fine. I don't think that would be too "hot" a load for the M1????

I went on a hog hunt several years ago in SE Oklahoma. Carried a Model 94 30-30 and used Winchester grey box 150 grainers. Carried a .357 Mag as backup. We were hunting over dogs and I shot a 250 lb boar at 30 yards that the dogs treed in a roadbank. One shot from the 30-30 (high lung broadside) and it dropped DRT.

Good luck, and have fun with your boys on your birthday!!!!!

He went over yonder way
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
My hunting partner nailed a 180 pounder our first time out and a 280 lb boar our second, both w/ 140 gr ABs through his 270 WSM. He keeps his 357 mag as back up. I don't think either are overly light at all.

I shot a 120 pounder my first time; 44 mag Redhawk loaded w/ 270 gr Speer Gold Dot Flat Points. Ran a little, died in view of our stand.

Second time I nailed a 180 lb sow w/ a 165 gr SST through my '06 at approx 2950 fps and she was DRT... I mean she just dropped and didn't feel a thing. That was using a 3-9x40mm scope after dark and it went just fine.

Any of those three weapons would be great. Just remember to study anatomical charts and slap 'em where the spine meets the head and they fall like a sack of potatoes.

Any deer bullet will do the job, but if you're like me a special hunt gets a special load. You'd be hard pressed to beat a 180 gr RN Interlock (maybe H-4895 as powder?) through the Garand, and you could do a lot worse than that through the Springfield as well. Same w/ CRF M70 in '06... though a slower powder like IMR-4350 might be better for it.

Remember that shots like that don't depend upon velocity... you get a good shooting, heavy-for-caliber load that is accurate through your rifles and PRACTICE for the types of shots you anticipate and you'll be good to go!

Good luck; post pics!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
sounds like a good pump shotgun or dubble barrel would work the best for this kind of hunting most likly any 20-or 12 -or 16

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Tennessee is much more like east Texas than south Texas. All of the hogs I've killed in my front yard have been with 00 buck, but that's usually around Midnight and only a security light to see by.

They've all been 40+ yards and usually don't go far, even with a bad hit.

Here's a 250#, more or less, that was hit by three buck way too far back.

[Linked Image]

He went about 45 yards, where he piled up!

This one was at about the same distance and I shot him from the front porch. He went about 50 yards before piling up.

[Linked Image]

This one dropped on the spot, but a pellet hit her in the head.

[Linked Image]

Sometimes we get them in "coveys"! wink

[Linked Image]

These were small ones and we used a .357 Mag rifle with 250 gr cast, .30-30 with 170 gr cast and reduced loads in .243.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
them little ones make for some fine eating. this is a boar i shot back in jan. with my 300wm 180 accubond at about 190yds [Linked Image] and this is a little one that got hit after i shot a sow through the neck with my 300rum [Linked Image] the sow [Linked Image] yep south texas is not like east tx

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've done in a lot of pigs too... I'm not just worried about having to kill one, and most that I've killed have been with my 22 pistol either ear or lungs. Thats worked just fine on up to around 150 pounders or so. The ones with shields take a big more sometimes, but one in the ear canal has always worked regardless. Thats all we've ever used with them in the traps, up to about 300 or so.

But then I've used a shotgun with buck a lot too, trying to kill as many as quick as I can.

Bottom line, I'd take a decent deer type rifle that you can work good and are familiar with and choose a non varmint type bullet and you'll be fine.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I don't own a farm so I guess I can wish that we had a slew of those critters around here.

I am thinking that I would lean hard on a couple of lever guns I have around here. One is a 1936 model Marlin in .32 spl. the other is a Marlin model 30TK in .30-30.

I have to admit though, if I had the chance to hunt them very often, I would be out trying to poke one with a No. 4 Mk1 Enfield in .303 British.

The big old ghost ring peep on the rear would spell doom on piggie right quick.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,659 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,928
Posts18,498,623
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.