Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Conquest 3-9
Rem 260
140 gr corelok
1.5" over barrel

I am shooting 2" high at 50 yards which it too much. I want to adjust it down to 1". The scope say 1/4" at 100.

This means that I need to move the scope aim up 8 clicks, right?
1" at 100 yds = 4 clicks
1" at 50 yds = 8 clicks
1" at 200 yds = 2 clicks

2 b 1 ask 1 !
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
maybe i'm misunderstanding here but to move down you simply go in the down direction 8 clicks. An up move would give you 3" at 50 yards.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Hah, I just read your other post JustLucky.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
FWIW, I was reading more elsewhere on this subject. I tell you right now I always sighted in the long, old fashioned way where you shoot, then move your clicks in the direction you need to go when aiming at the bull. Ex. shoot 1" left let's say. You then would move scope right 1", then repeat to see where you're at, repeat if needed. Anyways, what I read is the scope will never move the crosshairs relative to the target that you could see, they're designed to look like they are in optical center at all times. You could crank all day and the reticle would look like it never moved...

Last edited by BadgerRed; 08/09/09.
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Simple rule for scope adjustment- move the scope adjustment ring in the direction you want the bullet to move. If you want the point of impact to go down 1 inch at 50 yds, then move 8 clicks down.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BadgerRed
Anyways, what I read is the scope will never move the crosshairs relative to the target that you could see, they're designed to look like they are in optical center at all times. You could crank all day and the reticle would look like it never moved...

If you want a scope that has crosshairs that you can see move, I will trade you my old Weaver for your Conquest. grin

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I have this bore sighter now and when you look at it thru the scope, you can actually see which direction you are moving the cross hairs. Before I had this I could not sight a scope, I always would just move it one way and then the other. Or else I would move it correctly except for the last move, which I would always do backwards. I just used ammo and lost my patience.

Now I actually have a chance of getting it right.

I have a friend bring his son out yesterday to sight in his Ruger 10/22. We have him done with the ammo he had. The Ruger really did not like his wal-mart ammo. I did not like it either. It was the dirtiest ammo I have ever used. I had burnt powder all over me.

Anyway, I shoot mine while I had targets up and it shot 2"up high at 50 instead of 1" as I wanted. After getting my answers last night I adjusted it at midnight. Next coyote will see if I got it right. I shot over the last one at 100 yards.

I think I will keep what I got. Good luck on the Weaver. Use a little Ky adjustment and it will work great.

Thanks all

2 b 1 ask 1 !
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Hehe, I have no conquests myself to share. What I always read is put your crosshairs on the bullet hole and with a solid rest so your weaver won't move align the hairs to the bullseye. Never tried it myself, so I dunno.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
BadgerRed,

It seems if one moves the cross hair to the bull, the scope will be even further out of adjustment. One has to keep the rifle aimed EXACTLY like it was and move the crosshair to the bullet hole. If the rifle moves, you waist your time.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ringman

It seems if one moves the cross hair to the bull, the scope will be even further out of adjustment. One has to keep the rifle aimed EXACTLY like it was and move the crosshair to the bullet hole. If the rifle moves, you waist your time.

Used that method myself yesterday on two rifles..I usually like to get on paper at 25 yards first, but wasn't able to do that yesterday...

So I set up on the 100m range and bored sighted both rifles first and got somebody to spot my first round from each in case it was off the target board...

Once I was on the target board with both rifles, it was just a case of dialing the correction as per the post above, and then shooting a couple of confirmation groups for fine tuning..Very easy and stress free..

Last edited by Pete E; 08/09/09.
IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Amazes me the lengths some will go to make this stuff hard.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just kidding about the Weaver trade, justlucky. Your conquest is worth about a jillion times what my old Weaver is worth which is almost nothing.

I always sight in at one hundred yards. First remove the bolt and bore sight it as good as you can, then fire three shots, allowing a little cooling time between shots. If the center of your group is, say six inches high and six inches to the left, adjust your scope DOWN 24 clicks and 24 clicks to the right. Fire another three shots and adjust again accordingly.
Maybe no more adjustment will be required.
NEVER fire one shot and then adjust. You will use up all your ammo in short order.

Good luck (pun)

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Well, I broke down and tried it today. I shot 2 more shots at 50 yards. Both were 1 inch high and were within 1/4 inch from each other. I think I am done for now. I will need to try again when I get to a range to try again at 200 and 100 yards. Thanks to everyone for their help.

2 b 1 ask 1 !
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for the information guys. I need to read less and do more maybe, hehehe.

Last edited by BadgerRed; 08/10/09.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 2,593 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,295
Posts18,525,805
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.