Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
COS(29) * 507 will give you the corrected horizontal distance. It comes out to 379 yards.

Jeff,
You would really like the FTE of Ballistic for the iPhone. You just go to the HUD and select your saved load and it tells you the correction required (whether in MOA, 1/4min clicks, or a variety of other options) according to the angle of the phone, the atmospheric conditions, wind, range, etc.

Takes about 5 seconds from the time you open the application until the time you get a read-out.

To know the difference for the correction I think you would need to know the bullet used and velocity to get that.

Also I was using angle of 29 degrees not a cosine of 29 big difference. 29 of angle is 87 of cosine, 29 cosine and the rifle would be pointed almost straight down.

please don't try to answer question if you don't know all the facts.

jc

Last edited by joecool544; 07/25/09.
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Jon I don't see a angle or cosine gauge on your rifle, what exactly are you using? just curious thanks.

jc

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Well then, I haven't lost it yet, either! wink

Still going 3.5-10x44? Or am I mis-remembering?

3-9x40. I'm trying to stay fairly light-weight...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by joecool544
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
COS(29) * 507 will give you the corrected horizontal distance. It comes out to 379 yards.

Jeff,
You would really like the FTE of Ballistic for the iPhone. You just go to the HUD and select your saved load and it tells you the correction required (whether in MOA, 1/4min clicks, or a variety of other options) according to the angle of the phone, the atmospheric conditions, wind, range, etc.

Takes about 5 seconds from the time you open the application until the time you get a read-out.

To know the difference for the correction I think you would need to know the bullet used and velocity to get that.

Also I was using angle of 29 degrees not a cosine of 29 big difference. 29 of angle is 87 of cosine, 29 cosine and the rifle would be pointed almost straight down.

please don't try to answer question if you don't know all the facts.

jc

LOL! Maybe I'm misunderstanding the facts, but as far as I can tell this is simple trigonometry, man! If the rifle is pointed 29 degrees above the horizontal, and the distance to target is XXX then the horizontal range to the target is a simple cosine calculation. NOW, if you've already made your adjustments and are aiming at the animal, then that's another story. In that case your rifle will be aimed far higher than 29 degrees to compensate for the trajectory, but simply holding the rifle parallel to the ground while pointing at the animal is how we get the calculation and correction for angle to target. Maybe you do it differently, but that's how I do it.

BTW, the rifle, bullet and load is input into the correction output on this software.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
LOL...I try to make things as easy as possible for me, I have a angle gauge on my all my long range rifles first thing is range the animal second thing is check the angle if there is any check station presure and feed it into exbal it takes care of the rest. wink

Most of the time charts work very well expecially if your hunting in the same area all the time. I use them like everyone else here. It's when I go across the state and hunt is when I realy on exbal that I now have in my phone. wink

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
An ACI. I don't always keep it mounted on the rifle--especially for horseback hunting where it's going in and out of scabbards all the time. In that case I keep it in a pocket with the Badger mount on it upside down. This gives a nice flat surface so when I need it I just slap it on top of the turret and hold it there with my finger while taking a reading.

That's certainly not as convenient as having it on the rifle all the time, it's sort of a tradeoff. When I figure the odds of actually needing it are relatively low I decide it simply isn't worth having it hang off the rifle and be in my way 100% of the time. Depends upon terrain, of course. Some hunts you might not need to bring it at all while on others you'd really want for it to be on the rifle.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Well that makes since, and they would get hung up in a scabbard. I don't have to worry about the horse deal as I had a bad experience with them when I was young and won't get near those dumb beast. eek

But like you said most of the time you don't need them, or the pc with the exbal or the weather station. And the charts work fine 90% of the time, but they are sure nice to have when finally do need them. wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LOL...I try to make things as easy as possible for me, I have a angle gauge on my all my long range rifles first thing is range the animal second thing is check the angle if there is any check station presure and feed it into exbal it takes care of the rest. wink

Most of the time charts work very well expecially if your hunting in the same area all the time. I use them like everyone else here. It's when I go across the state and hunt is when I realy on exbal that I now have in my phone. wink

That works! The way I explained my method sounds more complicated than it is, but in reality the software on my phone does all the angle calculations. I just get the angle with the phone, and the software calculates the corrected adjustments needed. Whatever works, though. Different strokes for different folks smile

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Sounds like the same kind of deal, I see how they are getting the angle or cosine with there phone by being attached to the rifle, But how are you doing it, are you just holding it on a flat spot on the rifle?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Side note: shooting at a severe up-angle is HARD! I learned that on my Colorado elk last year. Prone was not an option; sitting had a ton of heartbeat jiggle at that angle.

What position would you Long Rangers use to get steady enough for a long shot at a steep up-angle? I ended up standing, leaned against a tree... Steady enough for a ~300 yard shot, but probably not for a 600-yarder...

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Prone works if you know how to mount a scope properly.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Getting hit wasn't the issue; I was on the flats at the bottom of a steep valley. No way to get the up-angle from prone. Do the math.

I shoot prone ALL THE TIME with my rifles, which have scopes mounted perfectly- for me.

...and that's all I'm saying. Not gonna let you ruin another thread, SH.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like the same kind of deal, I see how they are getting the angle or cosine with there phone by being attached to the rifle, But how are you doing it, are you just holding it on a flat spot on the rifle?

Yup, just hold the phone against the floor plate or rest it on the turret cap, either way. It's much more convenient than having that big bulky mount attached to the rifle that I'm carrying through the hills and mountains.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Side note: shooting at a severe up-angle is HARD! I learned that on my Colorado elk last year. Prone was not an option; sitting had a ton of heartbeat jiggle at that angle.

What position would you Long Rangers use to get steady enough for a long shot at a steep up-angle? I ended up standing, leaned against a tree... Steady enough for a ~300 yard shot, but probably not for a 600-yarder...

wink

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jeff, I've found the 26" tall Harris bipod pretty versatile. Comfortable sitting position for me on level ground only has it about 3/4 of the way extended so there is some room to adjust for downhill or uphill shots when foilage, sage brush, etc, prevents prone. And with the right technique it's usable for prone.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hi Jon,

Thanks. I have one of those. In the case of the shot I mentioned above, it wouldn't nearly have gotten me the angle I needed. It was probably ~45 degrees up-angle. I had to bring my knees way up to even get enough "up" from sitting, which brought the heartbeat into things. If I'd been ON the same slope as the critter, it would have been one thing, but I was on the flat valley bottom or, if I recall right, even up on the gentle slope going the OTHER way, compounding things further.

Just curious what the "solution" is, if there is one. The elk is in my freezer, so it worked out OK in the end.

It may be that this isn't a good thread for this... just thought I'd toss it out there since everyone was talking about steep shooting angles and all. smile

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Use your treking poles crossed to shoot Downhill or uphill out to 400. After that go prone if you can get enough barrel clearance

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by JonA
I guess I should have posted the angle chart I use to go with the drop chart:

[Linked Image]

In the above situation, it would have told me to come down 4 clicks. wink They do take up a bit more space but not too bad.

I don't question the usefulness of PDA's, etc, but I'm not convinced they're needed if you're properly prepared--unless you're doing stuff beyond 1000 yds. Well, that's with a big gun, a more modest round will be more affected by weather so they might be more needed a couple hundred short of that.

JonA's picture gave me an idea. I would be kind of small but if a person put their drop table inside their Butler Creek cap it would be right in from of their eye. I see a lot of these caps stick almost straight up when they're open making for a quick reference.
Doc

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson, 1776
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
That's pretty common.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

175 members (79S, 673, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 24 invisible), 2,280 guests, and 1,114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,323
Posts18,526,433
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.