Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
I've been working on sighting in my "iron sights" for my colorado elk hunt next month. So far here are my findings, what do you guys think?

I've shot 100 gr of Triple 7 with each of these at 50 yards so far.

348 grain power belts shoot great, very accurate
Colorado connicles are all over the place
350 Hornady FPB's shooting very consistant (almost as good as the power belts, but have to take the nose off to be legal in CO).

If I have the powerbelts and the hornady's sighted in for an inch high at 50 what should I expect at 100 yards my next trip out?

Even though the PowerBelts are shooting the best, i've read that the hornady's perform better damage... thoughts?

West Kentucky Boy
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Sounds like you have found your load.
Shoot em in the lungs and the PBs ,or most any conical will do fine .
They work fine for a couple of huntin partners of mine on elk.
I found the opposite bullets shoot better in my rifle ,but thats why we wring this stuff out now .
Hornadys ? I can't comment, they wont load in my rifles somewhat tighter bore . Though I like the concept.
Aint it fun!!!Have a great hunt!!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
What rifle and powder are you shooting?

I just started shooting a new bullet called Thor. They are based off the Barnes all copper bullet, but are full bore projectile. You can request a sample pack and it comes in 4 different sizes. .500 - .501 - .502 - .503"

Start with the smallest, It should take about 30- 40ish lbs to get down the bore. If they slide down to easily, go to the next size up.
[Linked Image]

3 shots today with 90gr goex @ 100 yards with open sight Cabelas Sporterized Hawken.
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Gotta love those Cabela's Hawkens - I have 4 of them!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
N2, you didn't say but are you shooting a T/C in-line? Those two bullets shoot best in my T/Cs. I'd say either one would be good for your purposes. You might want to use a lower charge with the PBs, 100 grains 777 is roughly equivalent to 115 grains of BP or substitutes and PBs aren't designed to be pushed too hard. The ones I've recovered from elk using 100 grains 777 have been flat as a pancake and fully expanded so I dropped down to 80 grains.

In my TCs with that bullet, about 2 inches high at 50 yards is where I want to be.

Also, I'd be curious to know where you read the reports on the performance of the Hornadys. I haven't read too much on them.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm running 90 grains of 777 under a 348 PB. And yes, it is getting close to go time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 348 PB has accounted for 3 elk personnally and a lot more within my family. They work great although I've never had to put one through a shoulder.

RH

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by bigblock455
What rifle and powder are you shooting?

I'm shooting 100 grains of triple 7...

thanks for the replies guys.

to the poster that asked about the Hornady FPB reviews I've (and buddies) searched all over the web finding bits and pieces all over.

West Kentucky Boy
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
smokepole, I'll try a 90 grain charge and see how it reacts. I'm pleased with 100 grains so far. You said you shoot 2 inches high at 50, what does your load do at 100 yards with that setup?

West Kentucky Boy
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Dead on at 100 yards, with 100 g 777.

IC B3

M
M
N2MyWake is shooting a T/C Encore.

I'm shooting a T/C Triumph

I testing out the Colorado Conicals (Precision ML)(forgot the gr), T/C Maxiball 370gr, and the Hornady FPB 350gr. They all shoot about 2" high at 50yds, 90gr 777...all pattern similar, the FPB the best...

Here's the ISSUE, the CO Cons and the FPBs will NOT load all the way consistently for the second load... They get about 1-2" before the mark of where they should be... Upon inspection after a clean shot...there is excessive residue near the breech, which I can only imagine is being sluffed off by the bullet, and then jamming up it's progress. The T/C maxiball with all its lube seems to be OK, the CO Con used lube too, but the application can be inconsistent as I'm doing it...

Thoughts, Suggestions???

I like the looks of that Thor bullet... Less than 3 weeks out, ugh should I try another...or could it be the 777 (perhaps a bad batch). Or just a tight barrel issue...

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Map,Sounds like you're getting a crud ring thats typical for T7. Are you using the winchester 777 primers? They help reduce that crud ring towards the bottom.

Heres the Thor Bullets performance i was talking about.

They hold 95 to 100% of their weight.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

M
M
Bigblock, thanks for the tip on the Win 777 primers, I'll give them a try...sounds like the issue...

I just shot again this morning...A LOT...I can hardly type with my right hand, as I don't think my shoulder is connected any longer, or the nervous are fried...LOL

FPB bullets, awesome grouping with the tip in...remove the tip to be legal for CO...and they open up to a 4-6" group, and fly about 4" to the right... The CO conicals, group better, but what's interesting as they are hollow pt too...they fly 3-5" to the right as well...so if I wanted to go with either, sight adjustment would be in order... CO cons with adequate lube load very smooth too.

HOWEVER, the T/C Maxiball (370gr), groups nearly as good as the FPB...and is MUCH easier to load on the second shot w/ crud ring issue... (FYI, 90gr 777)

I think I'll be loaded with the T/C Maxiball, anybody have good results with them putting down Elk in short order???

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Try cutting the tip off flush with the front of the FPB bullet instead of removing. I am getting good groups that way. I just use a straight edge razor blade.

The 370 gr maxiball is a good elk bullet. You will do fine with that. A lot of elk have fallen to that bullet. However, the FPB is a tougher bullet if it were to hit bone.

As stated, you are probably running into the "crud ring". Are you swabbing between each shot? With 777, to get the best accuracy, you should run a wet patch (both sides) followed by a 1 to 2 dry patches (I use 1 both sides). Doing that you shouldn't have the issues of the bullet stopping AND you should get better accuracy. I have a "T" rod (the T folds back longways to put back in the rifle). That gives me extra umph to seat the bullet.

Good luck

Venor ergo sum
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Another thing you could try would be to use some BH209 powder, no crud rings.

M
M
TX, yeah, thought about the cutting thing, might try it. Good news is, the FPBs and Maxiballs have about the same point of impact... I have been shooting 2 shots then cleaning, I'm wanting to know how a follow up load will go in the field. Cleaning between shots is ideal though, and no loading problems obviously. Yeah, first acc. I got for the gun was the T rod...it and the Speed Breech are worth their weight in gold... Tell you what, someone was really thinking desiging that breech...awesome...

Smokepole...I saw the BH209 at Bass Pro and was wondering about it...I did a little research and most said it's very clean...although I ran into a lot of reports where 777 primers and other types of "made for ML" primers didn't perform well with this powder...I guess they require true shotgun primers like the CCI or something...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maxiballs are hard on elk. Go forth and slay one. 4 weeks to go.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I run 90grs of T7 under a 295 gr lead hollow point Powerbelt. Real good accuracy in my Ruger 77/50. Same as Smokepole, 2 inches high at 50, right on at 100 yards. Remington makes a Kleanbore 209 primer for blackpowder use, I started getting less crud build up when I switched to them from standard CCI 209 primers. The lead Powerbelt performed just fine on an Arizona cow, at what turned out to be a 120 yard shot last November. I would have bet good money it was only a 75 yard shot - good thing I had a good rest on my pack and held a little high just in case.

If you are getting good accuracy out of a load, practice with it and minimize changes. Season is getting too close to mess with your load and not trust it when things count.

And speaking of things counting, 4 weeks from tonight I'll be in the San Juan National Forest!! Dreaming of elk!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by mapn4elk
...although I ran into a lot of reports where 777 primers and other types of "made for ML" primers didn't perform well with this powder...I guess they require true shotgun primers like the CCI or something...

That's right, their website and I believe the instructions on the can tell you that you have to use regular primers, it's harder to ignite than other powders.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by JohnDog
And speaking of things counting, 4 weeks from tonight I'll be in the San Juan National Forest!! Dreaming of elk!

Me too, hopefully not only dreaming butting getting woke up in the middle of the night by those bugling buggers......

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (257Ackley, 22kHornet, 1beaver_shooter, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257Bob, 63 invisible), 2,550 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,694
Posts18,534,578
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.