Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
What are your thoughts on the Model 71 made by Browning. Specifically the quality as compared to a Winchester?

GB1

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I've got a Browning 71 high grade, and it is beautiful and very well made. I do not have a Winchester 71 handy to compare it to though. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

ken
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Very nice. Do you shoot it or is it a collector for you?

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I would imagine that the 71 made by Browning and a MODERN 71 made by Winchester are of equal quality due to the fact that Browning owned Winchester at the time when the 71 re-issues were built and they probably came off the same assembly line. As for the Winchester/Olin made 71's, they were of high quality as well, but only chambered in .348. I would imagine that the quality of the "old 71" is comparable to the new 71's. Modern manufacturing techniques create close tolerances as well as the hand fitting that was involved in the making of the "old 71's".

Stupidity is contagious!!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have two of each brand. I think the quality of both brands is outstanding. The Winchesters had mostly hand work in them making them very expensive to manufacture. The Brownings were probably made mostly by CNC machining which usually results in more precise tolerances. Either way, they are both wonderful rifles. I remember someone saying "Browning don't make no junk" and I agree with that. Winchester made great firearms also and they are my personal favorite. Thanks...Bill.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I'll start by saying I own a Browning 71 and love it. Really sweet trigger, and very accurate. I'm talking, believe it or not, one inch groups at a hundred yards using Lyman receiver mounted peep sights. I was amazed the first time I took a look at the target.

Anyway, I've seen illustrations of both rifles taken to pieces and examined part for part. The Browning was assembled more cheaply, out of cheaper looking parts. The exteriors look about the same, but what you don't see looks cheaper on the Browning. Not saying it's not as good in the real world, but more care was taken in making the old Winchester, inside and out, than was for the Browning 71s. Parts, for this reason, are obviously not interchangeable.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
pharmvet: this high grade Browning 71 is a shooter for me. I reload for it and it is very ccomfortable to shoot.

ken
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If you can get a Browning 71 thats in good condition and not priced out of the stratosphere, grab it, its a great shooter. While quality may not be on par with a Winchester its still a great rifle.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I think the Browning is very close in quality, but is missing the feel, smoothness of a Winchester. It may come with age though.
Here is my Browning on top and Winchester on the bottom.

[Linked Image]

They both shoot equally well, the Browning makes up for any shortcomings with a slight edge in accuracy.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Weren't the Browning 71's made in Japan? The Winchesters haven't been made since the 50s.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Weren't the Browning 71's made in Japan? The Winchesters haven't been made since the 50s.
Yeah, Winchester is making its predecessor now in Japan, but not the actual 71.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, they were manufactured by Miroku. I had the Browning version of the 24" regular grade, and it seemed like a well-made rifle.

Somebody else wanted it bad enough to pay what I asked for, and it found a new home. Now I miss it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have heard that the Brownings will feed upside down but the Winchesters drop the cartridges. Could be an urban rumor. Salvo, you have both rifles maybe you could try it and see what happens.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Both will do that. This feature of the 71 was brought up in an old Gun Digest article about the good features of the 71,If I get time I'll dig up the specific reference.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
What would a Browning carbine regular grade be worth , say low rounds and 90 percent condition ?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
$750-850

ken@the river
GO DUCKS!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
They are both nice, but some of the differences are: The Brownings have metric barrel threads and screws. The Browning has an inertia style firing pin to prevent discharge if the hammer is struck while in the down position. The Browning incorporates a safety bar that prevents the trigger from operating unless the action has been fully closed. Also the front sight is attached via screws instead of the integral sight ramp found on the Winchester.

My 71 was manufactured in 1952 and is a standard model with regular barrel sights. Winchester abandoned the 71 in 1957. I wish I had a Lyman 56A for this rifle, and I think Ruger ought to offer the Number 1 in .348 Winchester. Also, Marlin should offer the 1895 in that chambering.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The Browning are better steel IMO and they tend to shoot better than the Winchesters..

The bottom side is the Brownings are a little clunky and don't have the feel the old Winchesters have..I personally would opt for one of the old Winchesters over the Browning, but that is my personal opinnion only and in no way suggests anything other than that......

M
Mak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The two rifles are actually different, even tho they are the same design. Just as Winchester changed the 86 to become the 71, Browning changed the 71 to become the 71 reissue.
Since Browning had the new 71s made on metric machines, they converted the design into the metric system, therefore a number of threaded parts will not interchange.
Personally, I find the Brownings to be very good rifles. They faithfully recall the balance of the Winchester 71s. For a seasoned levergunner, it is crucial for the weight and balance of the weapon to be between the hands. Muzzle heavy, or butt heavy weapons will simply not mount or swing with the required speed and fluidity. Browning got it very right here.
Second, accuracy-accuracy need not be 1/4 moa to be effective, yet the Browning reissues have made their reputation as accurate and sometimes MORE accurate than the Winchesters. The right load can result in 1-1.5 moa.
In terms of action, the nod will go to the hand fitted action of the original Winchester gunsmiths. In time, and with proper lube, the Browning will get smoother-but it will never slide like butter on a hot day.
The triggers on the Brownings tend toward the heavy side, yet they are crisp, without stacking or gritty catches before release.
All in all, the Browning is a sound rifle, just keep in mind that is a Winchester more in spirit than in reality.
I would not refer to them as clunky, rather, I think they are a worthy addition to the 71 line.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (160user, 1badf350, 1minute, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 62 invisible), 2,371 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,184
Posts18,503,295
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.