Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ost Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
In about a week, deer season fires up in Eastern SC. I have scouted a couple of spots I want to try, lots of prints and nearby water. They are about a mile in walk on NF roads that are closed to vehicle access. This should keep crowding down a bit. I am hunting swamp areas, so the thermacell is ready as well.

The ranges will be short as the woods are dense so my Marlin 45-70 will accompany me. I do not have a tree stand, but I have a camp stool to sit on. I also have a processor lined up it I get lucky.

I am not looking to shoot a trophy buck, heck any without spots will do. I just want to put some meat in the freezer.

Any last bit of advice from the campfire?

I hate escalators. I slipped and fell down the steps for an hour and a half.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you can get up a tree it will pay off. It gives you better vision while cutting down on odor and lets you get by with some movement. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Advice...sounds like you're in good shape already. I think you're right on by setting up by the water this time of year. Remember to be patient, it WILL happen.

Good luck.
smile

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You will do just fine. Try to relax when shooting (yeah, right!) but to help don't look at the whole deer, try to pick out a small point of the deer to aim at. Additionally, if he is still moving, keep shooting. Move less, look more and watch the wind as deer use thier sense of smell like we use our eyesight. Good luck!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
#1 If the guys sitting next to you suddenly ups the bid, he's not bluffing.
#2 Be sure to take an extra shirt, 'cuz you're gonna lose a shirt tail if you miss your first shot.
#3 If they tell you to go hunt out of the "special stand" out in the back corner of the lease-don't do it.
#4 It is expected of the newbie to gather the snipe on the night prior to the hunt. Be sure to take a good kazoo, and a gunny sack with you, and most of all-leave the compass and GPS back at the cabin, as snipe will not come in if these items are any ways near the snipe bagger.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
If you shoot one and he runs off, don't get excited and chase after him. Just let him go lay down. Give him at least 20 minutes. Good luck. Be sure and post some pics.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Don't shoulder your rifle if you can see the deer's eyes.
Wait until the head is behind a tree, or it is walking away.
First thing in the morning is always best for me.
I like to nap in the middle of the day and then hunt until it is dark.
Have Fun!
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
1 be still, be quiet.
2 Look and remember you ain't looking for a horse or elephant but something dog size.
3 Most everything in the bushes grows up and down. Horizonal lines could be deer back and belly lines.
4 eye check every movement you see. Figure out what you are seeing.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Air conditioning in the Double Bull blind. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Relax and enjoy the day, move slowly, stay in the shadows when possible, keep the noise down and become a part of what is going on around you.

If it were me I would leave the stool behind.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Ost
In about a week, deer season fires up in Eastern SC. I have scouted a couple of spots I want to try, lots of prints and nearby water. They are about a mile in walk on NF roads that are closed to vehicle access. This should keep crowding down a bit. I am hunting swamp areas, so the thermacell is ready as well.

The ranges will be short as the woods are dense so my Marlin 45-70 will accompany me. I do not have a tree stand, but I have a camp stool to sit on. I also have a processor lined up it I get lucky.

I am not looking to shoot a trophy buck, heck any without spots will do. I just want to put some meat in the freezer.

Get in early, set up quietly and quickly, and don't move. Use your binos and scan EVERYTHING, constantly.

BTW - what part of VA do you call home?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Stay quiet and play the wind. Even if it looks like the best possible spot if the wind isn't in your face the deer won't come. Take an extra shirt because its hot and you will want to change out of the sweaty one when you get to your stand put in old one in a tied up garbage bag to cut back on wind,

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Carry plenty of water for drinking and cleaning. When dragging your deer out wear plenty blaze orange.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Ost Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Originally Posted by Ost

Get in early, set up quietly and quickly, and don't move. Use your binos and scan EVERYTHING, constantly.

BTW - what part of VA do you call home?

The Roanoke area. I am working near Charleston SC now.

I hate escalators. I slipped and fell down the steps for an hour and a half.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Don't forget to roll up some TP and put it in your pocket.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I have always carried a small roll of orange surveyors tape/flagging. Just in case I have to start tracking or trailing a blood trail or lack there of. I put a small piece of flagging on last know spot of animal and go from there...placing a strip here and there in case of disorientation, darkness, or just to make the trail easier to find if windy or rainy. JMO, but it has worked well for me.

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
if you have identified the travel routes, where they feed at what time, and where they bed, then site your point of ambush up wind from those areas.
Check the side of the tree the rubs are, as that can tell you direction and time of travel. Deer tent to rub going or coming, and that may change by location. Down here, the rub usually is on the side of morning travel, meaning the deer rubbed on the way to feed.
oh, often in our swamps, the mid day is as productive as early morning. I hardly ever go out at 'dark thirty' any more.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 08/14/09.

Sam......

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
1 be still, be quiet.
2 Look and remember you ain't looking for a horse or elephant but something dog size.
3 Most everything in the bushes grows up and down. Horizonal lines could be deer back and belly lines.
4 eye check every movement you see. Figure out what you are seeing.

BCR

Boggy covered most of what my advice would be and especially so when hunting in dense cover as you are more likely to see deer "parts", ear, tail, legs, etc., than the entire deer.

On the subject of deer tracks, while a good indicator that deer are present and active in the area, it could be happening late at night. Also, a deer, being a four legged critter, can make a whole lot of tracks over a short period of time. Two or three deer wandering around can leave so many tracks in one night that it appears there's a bunch of animals in the area.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
Be still, be quiet.

BCR

Bring a paperback. After the magic hour it cuts down on fidgeting.

Bring hard candies.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Snake leggings

" A little solitude is a mighty precious thing "
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (01Foreman400, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 58 invisible), 18,557 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,962
Posts18,539,722
Members74,052
Most Online20,796
04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.