Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Ost Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for all the advice and keep it coming!

I hate escalators. I slipped and fell down the steps for an hour and a half.
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Stay out as long as you like but not a moment longer. Tis fun and when it ain't right for you it's time to go. There is always the next day.

I recall the days of getting in the woods 2 hours before light, not any longer, I usually begin at light or later. Point is do it at your pace and pleasure.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by lodgepole
Snake leggings

In almost 50 years I've never used them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you're like me...hard candies are a must. I prefer starlite peppermints or anise. Call me crazy, but at least mint and anise aren't foreign odors to a deer around here.

For the long term, listen to everything and think about the noises. Eventually you'll be able to tell the difference between critters from the sounds of their movement.

Don't leave the hunt during midday unless you have to. While the other guys are eating sandwiches and catching the game scores, deer are sneaking around bewildered by all the strange odors and noise, and there's just as good of a chance that they will wander past you.

Take your time. Move slowly. Stop often. Scan ahead. Plan your next steps. Stop again. Move up wind when you can.
Use natural cover when it won't give you away by crunching small twigs or shuffling leaves.

If you have to step over, spot your step. If you can go around, go around.

Don't drink alot of alcohol, at least not on the first night wink Nothing will kill your patience and your senses like a hangover, and you'll stink.

...new laws were most numerous when the commonwealth was most corrupt. ~ Publius Cornelius Tacitus
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Pay attention to the essential stuff you need and since your just starting make a list and check it off as it goes in your pack or whatever your using to carry your gear.

There is a time to stand and a time to move around. You'll learn more quicker-often the hard way, but you'll learn-moving around.

Don't know what your water or swamps are like, but if you have the footwear to get in the water, you can often fool a buck big time by doing your moving in the water. Especially if it is running water that makes its own noise. It's pretty much the same as being able to move silently on dry land.

Addition: If the weather turns nasty and you don't mind being out in it, keep hunting. Many don't like windy, rainy, days and while I don't necessarily like them generally, when it comes to deer hunting they can be your friend when dressed properly. With wind the deer often get nervous and move around. Everything in the woods is moving and they can't hear as well. You can get away with stuff you normally can't on what many think are perfect days.

Last edited by battue; 08/18/09.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (17CalFan, 1_deuce, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 66 invisible), 18,840 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,987
Posts18,540,120
Members74,053
Most Online21,066
1 hour ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.