Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I have always tried to keep it simple. Get a good gun and use it. I bought a S&W model 57 many years ago and sighted it in and went hunting. I have shot small game to big game and killed plenty of critters with it. I have found it is better used in the field than shooting paper.

I got the great idea to trade the S&W in on a new Titanium Tracker as the older I got the need for lighter equipment seemed inevitable. As was posted earlier, the noise was deafening and the recoil was so bad I pulled all my bullets of the ammo I had loaded and decreased the load to make shooting it more tolerable.

As you can see in the accompanying pictures, there isn't a one with the Tracker. I did luck out, however, because when it came time to sell the Tracker, they weren't made any more and I sold it for $200.00 more than I paid for it new.

I then went on the hunt for another S&W Model 57 and got one just like I had before. They work best at moderate ranges (under 100 yards) and the sights that come on the gun are more than adequate for hunting. Scopes are hard to use and don't aid at all in making a quick shot, just stick with the sights. I also find the 8 3/8 inch barrel to be a great shooter.

Rockchucks..

[Linked Image]

Bear, we actually smoked this one out of a cave...

[Linked Image]

Antelope, my associate liked mine so well I got him one too...

[Linked Image]

Mule deer...

[Linked Image]

I might also add that all of these were one shot kills and using hard cast bullets. Jacketed hollow points at distances over 50 yards don't work any better than a hard cast lead bullet. This was all proven in the field over years of hunting with the 41 mag.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shrapnel, my 657s have alot of killing to catch up to your bag wink

Nice memories I am sure. I agree Smiths and Rugers are hard to beat, and there were some really nice Dan Wessons made, and TC in the 10" was a joy to shoot, the 14" was not as handy - both very accurate.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hello Catsranger
In my Mind, you can not go wrong with the Original revolver made for the .41 Magnum being a S&W Model 57. This revolver was Originally designed for Police Carry with a reduced Power Load. The reduced Load attributed to it's demise as a Politically Correct load for Police, but much too mellow for defense or Hunting Purposes. The Cousin .44 Magnum over shadowed the Infamous .41 Magnum due to it hitting the scene 9 Full Years ahead of the .41 Magnum and shooters could not see another Magnum Caliber so close in Nature as the famous .44 Magnum Yet not Near as Powerful. It was a Hand Loaders dream being made on the large S&W-N-Frame, so if loaded how it should be, it can surpass the velocity of the .44 Magnum with a little more Penetration to it. As a True hand Loader the Only difference I see in the Two Calibers is that the .41 Magnum Bullet is .019" smaller than the .44 Magnum and shots a little flatter on the Long shots. Here is my Model 57 Thegeneral.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Yeah, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death ,... I Shall Fear no Evil, as I Always have with me Me my Loaded Smith & Wesson "..
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thanks to all for the great suggetions!!! Its a toss up between the Ruger and the SW 57, but I am leaning towards the Smith. Now I just have to find one. Thanks again for the help and advice.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stanimal
Had the 4" Taurus Tracker and I'd not buy it again. Loved the ease of carry, etc. (although a friend said it was a TERRIBLE kicker - must not have fit his hand as well as mine as it didn't bother me). My problem with it was the porting. Had to shoot it in the field one day without plugs. NEVER AGAIN. I know that was my fault and not the revolver but I now have a STRONG preference for non-ported handguns.

I agree with you and glad you wrote this out, b/c I have the same gun and all I hear is "Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" in my left ear from my 41 Mag PORTED Tracker...

I'm was an idiot for shooting it without hearing protection!!!

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
just be patient you will find one

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I like Rugers and Smiths, but when it comes to the 41 mag, the Smith gets my vot for the Double action duty. Just made for each other.

Cool pics Shrapnel......

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by catsranger
Looking to get a 41 mag. revolver for deer hunting in the East.

[Linked Image]

If you want to hunt with it, primarily, you won't get any better than that rig.

If it's a dual duty carry-hunting piece, go with the 57 or 657.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by RJM

[Linked Image]

...yes, I like .41s....

Bob

I still like this one better than any other shown in this thread.

My hunter model weighs over 55 ounces without the scope. Last time, about five weeks ago, I strapped it on for a hike in wolf country, I carried it for fifteen miles at about 7000 feet of elevation in the Frank Church Wilderness.

This old fat man was wishing for a lighter trail weapon by the end of the day.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I succumbed some time ago to the .41magnum illness.
Since then a model 57, 58, blackhawk, and ruger redhawk have appeared.
They all have their individual qualities.
I think the blackhawk with the long barrel is good to develop higher velocities, the 70's vintage 57 is a joy to shoot, and the 58 is a durable working gun.
The redhawk has the 5 1/2 inch barrel, heavier, and while i have heard there is no difference, i think would be inherently stronger than the smiths. It had one of the ruger trigger kits put in it, and it works quite well, but still not the same as the smith action which i am used to. I did switch out the stocks for pachmeyer decelerator hand grips which is a major difference. The blackhawk not having the bisley grip, tends to roll in your hand with a heavy load.
I still tend to favor the 58 of all, tho.
Just got through yesterday loading some speer gold dots for this and they are impressive.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B3

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The Gold Dot is a nice bullet...they expand well through a wide range of velocities. I think these were shot at 950, 1250 and 1400 fps...

[Linked Image]

Model 58s are great shooters. This is my 1964 first year of production that someone ruined the collector value of by parkerizing...

10 yards DA. The upper left round was the first round I ever fired out of the gun and caught me by surprise...

[Linked Image]

The grips were chipped so I had a friend cut and refinish them...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

He also rounded the bottom..

[Linked Image]

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by catsranger
Thanks to all for the great suggetions!!! Its a toss up between the Ruger and the SW 57, but I am leaning towards the Smith. Now I just have to find one. Thanks again for the help and advice.

Hello Catsranger
I have not owned a Ruger so cannot comment on one. I do feel the age old argument that they are stronger than a S&W Model 57 is Bilge Water. Even if they are, Just who wants to carry the extra weight around that does not add to a Hill of Beans durability wise ? I stumbled onto my 57 shown as the seller was told it was a shooter grade revolver. That comment was Placed by a Buyer who was Too cheap to pay for high quality, but it sure sweetened the deal for me. I swapped a Model 624 in .44 Special for it, and got back in retuen the revolver, a Nitrite die set, a Custom fletch style holster, 1000 Once fired cases, 1000 Remington Hollow Point Bullets, and $75.00 Boot ! Now, that was a sweet deal...They are out there be Patient one will come your way eventually. The 6" Barrel examples are more common than the 4" examples and Blued ones are far more common than the Nickel ones...Thegeneral.

Yeah, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death ,... I Shall Fear no Evil, as I Always have with me Me my Loaded Smith & Wesson "..
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Idaho Shooter...get one of the 4 5/8" BHs...it would be the perfect complement to your Hunter. They can be had over on GunBroker.com in the $300-375.00 range in excellent condition. The one in the picture is a Bicentennial 1976 vintage gun and now wears a set of stags.

Bob

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Bob,

Someday,

Either a lighter Blackhahk, or maybe that model 357PD I passed on last spring.

Did you also have one of the Single Six conversions? There is an ideal trail gun.

Last edited by Idaho_Shooter; 08/18/09.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thanks again for the advice!!

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Since I have both the 357 and BH I can only advise that unless you REALLY need a light weight gun get the BH. Even with 950 fps loads the 357 bucks. I have mine loaded with 230 grain Keith bullets from Leadhead Bullets with 8.0 grains of Unique and I think the chronographed velocity is 950 or 975. Also just found a set of S&W/Hogue Model 500 grips and installed them on the 357..that should help. That said I have shot full 210 factory loads and while stiff it was nowhere near a brutal as the 329PD when you touch off a 240 JHP!!!

The other PITA is the steel flashgap protector...if it falls out/wears out you have to send it back to S&W for repair... And for the same price you'll pay for a 357 you could also have a 657 Mountain Gun...now that is a real shooter...perfect balance and very accurate...

No, I don't have one of the .41 Special Single-Six conversions... I am however trying to talk US Firearms into building me a 5.5" SAA Flat Top Target...they said it can be done.

Bob

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,775
Posts18,515,672
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.