Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Hey gang, if you were gonna or have hunted moose with a 45/70 what slugs would be in the tops of your picks?

Many thx

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Either Woodleigh or Swift; NorthFork are great, too, if you can find them. Of course others will also work- just about any of them but the ordinary hollow points.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

Many years ago J.D. Jones of SSK Industries was making lots of 45/70 barrels for the TC Contender single shot handguns and Contender Carbines. This was before T/C adopted the cartridge as a factory chambering. He killed all manner of North American and African animals with the 400 gr Speer. The Speer is a flat nose vs a hollow point. Based on his experiences I used this bullet to take a cow elk at 185 yards - pass through. I currently am using 350 gr Hornadys in my 450 Marlin but haven't shot anything of any size with it yet. If you want that little bit extra confidence that comes with a premium bullet, go for it. But, honestly, at 45/70 (450 Marlin) velocities the cup 'n' cores work great. I carry my guide gun alot near Yellowstone where we see a good number of grizzlies and feel fine knowin' it has the Hornday's in it. My brother carries 405 Remingtons in his 45/70 Guide Gun. Now, if I was hunting where I might encounter the REALLY BIG bears (Alaska, for instance) I'd probably opt for something like Klikitarik mentioned.

ttpoz

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In addition to the others mentioned, the 300 grain Speer Uni-core would be a good choice, also, but my first pick would be a 420 grain hardcast LBT style. They are absolute bone-smashers and penetraters, running somewhere around 1650 to 1750 fps at the muzzle.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I was kind of thinking 350 Horn, thoughts?

Thx
Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Use the Flat point, and run it about 1950 or so fps, and you will have a big problem--how to move that dead moose

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
In a previous thread on elk bullets I saw no mention of this either but what about cast bullets? I mean home-cast, not store bought. One that I've been experimenting with in my GG & 45/70 Highwall (both 1 to 20" twist) is Lyman 457121 (+/- 475 grs.). It functions flawlessly through the lever action. There are however two significant problems I have/am worked/working through. Problem 1)Though it's called "457..." it isn't. In a soft alloy it casts out from about .451 -.454 or so. Lyman is actually marketing it to Whitworth muzzleloader people. The black powder "kick" will make it bump up and fill the rifling and shoot well. Not knowing this I loaded them with some smokeless powder and every 5th or 6th shot keyholed. Not enough "bump up" even with a fairly soft alloy. When I did my internet homework and actually measured my bullets I switched to black powder (50 grs. of 3F) and the problem went away and I got decent groups through my Highwall. I've now loaded some duplex loads with 5 grs. of SR4759 and 44 grs. of 3F. I haven't gone to the range yet with these but I expect a good outcome. Problem 2) That BIG bullet takes up ALOT of case capacity. That's why the loads sound so wimpy and I'm trying the duplex loads for more velocity. I'm a little reluctant to run these through the GG just because of the supposed blowback of BP into the action and the cleaning chore that might represent. In my Highwall the blowback was not significant at all. Also, BP cleans up easier than I ever thought it would once I started with Mike Venturino's formula. (That's a 28 oz. bottle Windex w/ VINEGAR into a gallon jug and topped off w/ water.) So, if they work well in the Highwall I'll be trying them in the GG. I'm also thinking of trying something like IMR4227 for a "kick" from a powder that's faster burning than the medium burn rifle powders. I am also going to try straight linotype to get a bigger bullet that might not keyhole with smokeless. Incidentally, I ALWAYS place C F Ventures wax gas checks under my cast bullets in rifles w/ very happy results. Any direction from a contributor would be appreciated. Anyhow, it appears to me that a .45 caliber, 475 grain flat nosed bullet even at BP velocities ought to work at woods ranges on moose or elk or the kudu on the game ranches by my house.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dimebox, those lead slugs at BP velocities worked very well on buffalo in the late 1800's, and I wouldn't be afraid to do the same thing today. It's a proven formula.

With a 475 grain slug, you will get sufficient penetration even a longer ranges, just dealing with the trajectory would the hard part. A few yards wrong in range estimation would result in a miss.

Get your obturation problem resolved, and you shouldn't have any problems with the game you mentioned.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Use the Flat point, and run it about 1950 or so fps, and you will have a big problem--how to move that dead moose

Moving a dead moose is no problem. That's why Polaris makes a 500 Sportsman! I skid them out whole across a clear cut or even through the brush.

Dober,

My 1895 with the 22" bbl really likes the old Remmy 405 FP with enough Benchmark to lift your front foot off the ground under recoil. Heck, moose are easy enough to kill -- it don't take the hammer of Thor to drop one, just a bullet through the lungs. They usually only go about 25-30 yards with that kinda placement. I will be carrying my 1895 stuffed with the Remmys for my skulking in the brush rifle this fall. Got NO concerns about their effect on moose, and also no concerns about moving a dead moose. If'n ya need a hand, give me a call. grin

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by the_shootist

Moving a dead moose is no problem. That's why Polaris makes a 500 Sportsman! I skid them out whole across a clear cut or even through the brush.

Aren't you supposed to wait until they grow up? Only ones I've seen that an ATV might move were the babies! (Now a snowmachine and sled, especially with a bit of a downhill to start, that's another story. Been stuck a lot of times hauling meat from less than a whole moose though.)

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dober I have shot a lot of those Hornady bullets in the 350 and I think myself, they are just a might to soft for moose and big bones. Just my opinion and I prefer those Swift A Frames, little more money but hells bells, they stay together and deliver the mail on time. Good Luck on the moose stew!

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thx for your responses guys, what about Nozler don't they make a Partition of some kind for a 45/70 and how about Barnes?

Thx
Dober

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I believe Nosler discontinued the Partition, though they are probably still available retail. No doubt about it's performance. The Speer Uni-core is a very reliable bullet, and running 2000 or so fps, it hits hard, holds together, and has a fairly flat trajectory.

I run the Hornady 300 grainers at 2200 fps and the trajectory is virtually identical to my .30-30, but I can't really say that the bullet would be tough enough for Moose, I woundn't have the confidence in them that I do in the Speer Uni-core, but for deer, they are fine. Klikitarik has some top notch recommendations, and Tonk mentions a fine one, also.

My opinion, fwiw, is that a hardcast gascheck with a wide meplat would just be the huckleberry.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by the_shootist

Aren't you supposed to wait until they grow up? Only ones I've seen that an ATV might move were the babies! (Now a snowmachine and sled, especially with a bit of a downhill to start, that's another story. Been stuck a lot of times hauling meat from less than a whole moose though.)

Admittedly, our moose are not quite the size of yours, but I've dragged 1200 pounders out without a lot of problems. I don't guess that Dober will connect with anything much bigger than that, but if he does, I'd be glad to help. Shiras moose in the northern ConUS likely look like babies to you too, Klik. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dober,

Two years ago, I saw a moose shot with the nosler partition, explosive response on the hit.

Rear end of the moose hit the ground before the front, at about 100 yards.

FMP

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dober Nosler only makes a 300 grain bullet for a 45/70! I wish they would have made a 400 grainer but no such critter in the new #-6 reloading manual.

I went to Beartooth Pile-Drivers in the heavy loading for the 45/70, those suckers will stop a Hum-V you betcha. You check out the Beartooth sight, lots of info on those bullets.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I forwarded my opinion to Dober. I really don't believe a hardcast slug is neccesary. I smoked a moose out of his sneakers with one round from my old Sharps. That was a cast 30:1 slug and it penetrated through everything very easily. The MV for that was only 1400 fps. Dober is an accomplished rifleman so shot placement and accuracy are likely to be excellent. I think a cast slug at 25:1 with a Lyman #193 at 1500 should be as effective as any bullet one would use. The bullet would upset AND penetrate very nicely.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
ET has it right. I would prpbably slow it down to about 1300 and shoot all the way through him.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
FWIW: The 405 Remington is MUCH tougher than either the 350 Hornady or the 400 Speer, which are both VERY soft. They work OK if kept at 1500 to 1800 fps, but that Remington can be pushed to 2000 without problems. And yes, I also use a 465gr hardcast in my 22" Marlin at 1900 fps! It'll stop a freight train! grin

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've used the Beartooths in my M29 and really like them. Have had some thoughts to just taking it along in case the perfect stalking opp comes up.

Of course I'll have my Mashburn along if'n it doesn't... cool

Dober

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That 405 Remington is nowhere near as tough as a Lyman 457193 cast at 20-1 lead/tin. I used to dig the Remington jackets and shards out of the side of a hill and pick up perfect mushrooms of the 457193. It didn't take me all that long to figure out which bullet held up better.

The 457193 is an awesome bullet and really works wonders at 1250 to 1300fps. You don't need to drive it faster to make it work.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've yet to shoot a moose with this load, but it's what I loaded for deer in bear country.

I use the 350gr Speer hot-cor bullets over a stiff load of IMR3031 or SR4759. This bullet is designed for the 458 and the cannelure is in the wrong place for correct OAL in a lever action. I had to shorten the brass to be able to crimp and not lock up my Marlin.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Alaska Bullet Works 405 grain Kodiak bonded bullet. It WILL stay together. Great bullet, good expansion and penetration.

Ricky
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
That 300 grain Nosler is a stout bullet. No problem with it on a moose. I've seen pictures on the Marlin Forum where it took down Buffalo. DRT

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
525gn Beartooth Piledriver, 40.5gns RL-7 gets me 1751 fps out of a 26" Marlin cowboy, and shoots in 2" @ 50 off sticks thru a lyman 66 receiver sight. Should punch thru a moose @ any angle....Good Luck

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I like the Koolaid............. I still have a few boxes of JayBok Youngs stuff in the closet. Someday I'll have another 45-70 to Stoke with them. I've owned 2 guide guns and a Ruger #1, When I do it again it will be a 1895 Cowboy with the BBL shortened to 20" Wearing a Simms on the buttstock.
Mark, Please post pics of your moose!
Tom

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"...
Edmund Burke
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Remington 405 is not one of the premiums which are available. Neither is it overall better or worse than either of the suitable Hornadys.

[Linked Image]

It does have more integrity than some give it credit for. This is the skull of a moose - the back portion- from which I pulled this 405 which was used to dispatch the animal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never shot a moose, but have shot a whitetail doe with a 405 HCGC at about 1800 fps. 90 yard shot, double lung top of the heart. She ran about 60 yards but dang near couldn't find her because of the thickness of the woods and she didn't bleed much.

If you go with a hardcast aim to break shoulders; they just whistle through. Bet a moose wouldn't offer much more resistance.

Had a 300 grain Federal factory load come unglued in another doe, core separated, everything snagged in hide on off side. 35 yard shot.

Were I to choose a .45/70 GG to shoot a moose I'd go with Elmer Keith's load: 405 Remington SP/ 53grs. 3031.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
I'd use .425 gr. Beartooth Piledriver jr.'s. over some H-322.

Should do just about anything in the proper range and placement.

Malon Labe!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Thx
Dober

I think that they will work well although FWIW Brian Pierce wrote some time ago that they won't begin to expand much under 1900 fps in an article on the 45-70.

I'm going to take a cow bison in Dec and am going to use a 405-gr Laser Cast just because I have them. Load will be out of a GG and about 1800 fps out of the muzzle with H4895.

Good luck Dober!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I am not a reloader...I used 350 grain Buffalo Bore ammo. Dropped my Alaskan bull IN HIS TRACKS. What a thumper!

Psalm 18:34 ->>---->
He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Dober,

If you are goingto use the 350 gr Hornady, use the flat points -- they're a tougher bullet than the RN.

Brother Keith

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Mark

I use the 400 gr. Speer from deer to elk. No recovered bullets to show off just big holes and dead critters. I load IMR 3031, but cant recall the charge. Its loaded down a bit, but has never failed me. I think I chronyed it around 1750 fps. If you want the data send me a PM and I'll look tonight when I get home.

Joseph

Joseph
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Last week I shot a cow elk at 35yds with the Hornady LeveRevolution load. One shot/one dead elk But that bullet just about exploded on impact. I shot her right behind the shoulder the bullet broke 4 ribs going in and ended up lodged in the hide in front of her far hip. Ribs and back side of shoulder were severely blood shot. I found copper jacket pieces in the shoulder and bullet weight was about 1/2 of original. These shot super well but I think I'll be shooting a Cast Performance 405 hard-cast next year.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think it's a wonderful moose cartridge. If we had not invented buffalo, they would have designed a 45-70 anyway for moose. I've not taken moose with my guide gun, but it's a fine chambering for tossing out 400+ grain slugs. A 350 to 400 grain pill going anywhere between 1,230 (Rem factory 405's) to 1,800 fps (405 grain hand loads) should put a real thumping on them. Still, unless one breaks bones, don't expect a bang/flop given the mass of a moose. If one starts hopping up velocity with 400+ grain slugs though, expect a little more punishment on the back end. Factory rounds were a cinch off the bench. The speedier handloads get ones attention. Both are suprisingly accurate. Presently, I'm running 55 grains of H4895 behind Rem 405 grain slugs. From memory, it's doing about 1,750 fps. That load came from an excellent Hand Loader (August 2007) article that was focused strictly on the Marlin chambering. It carried pages of loads and pressure data, and can still be had with a phone call and about $10.

I'd not worry too much about what brand of slug one uses. Four hundred grains of anything in a compact package is going to hurt.

I was hoping to use mine on elk this season in dark timber, but the day I scored, I was in cross canyon country with a whizzum 30 caliber. Good luck, 1Minute

Last edited by 1minute; 11/24/09.

1Minute
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The Hornady 350 RN was made for the 458 Win Mag as was the Speer 350 FP and they do not open much below 1600 fps while bullets made for the 45-70 and 450 Marlin open at a much lower velocity as does the 350 North Fork and 350 Swift A-Frame(Made for the 450/45-70 velocities).The 350 Hornady Flat point was made for the 450 Marlin(Not the 45-70) and has a different nose design for the different throat which causes higher intermediate pressures used in the 45-70 but maxed out,it does not.

There are alot of 458 Win mag bullets being used in the 45-70 and people complain they don't expand.I wonder why at moderate impact speeds?The 350 Woodleigh RN and 400 Swift A-Frame,sometimes used in the 45-70, were also made for the 458 Win mag.

As far as the Remington 405 on Elk..I doubt there is one person here with the experience of this bullet on large game like Elk that even comes close to what Randy Garrett(Garrett cartridges) and Tim Sundles(Buffalo Bore) has seen with this bullet and there customers.Neither recommends it for Elk.

I'm a bit surprised by the following the Remington bullet has, as my experience with the bullet was very poor. Our first 45-70 load (offered in 1989) used that bullet at a conservative 1700-fps, not the super fast 2000-fps I read about on the forum. At 1700-fps we had numerous reports of bullet breakup and failure to penetrate when used against elk. As a consequence, I dropped the load and moved to proper hard cast bullets, and our customers never reported bullet failures again. Of course at the higher speeds, any bullet experiences more impact stress and is therefore more likely to fail, and this provides one with another reason to use premium bullets. Given the failures our customers reported with the Remington bullet at 1700-fps, I can only imagine the reports we would have received if we had driven that bullet to 2000-fps!

Jayco

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have to wonder why there is so much emphasis put on velocity?? Load an expanding 400-405 grain bullet to 1400-1500 fps and it will kill like a lightning bolt. Useable range?? Farther than most would believe. Just have to have sights that have the adjustment. The 45-70 was one of the buffalo stompers of the 19th century. It did NOT get less lethal in 136 years.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FWIW, both of the Hornady 350s are designed for exactly the same working speeds. Also, both come apart to the same degree as the Remington bullet when fired into similar materials. The Woodleigh 350 was designed for impact speeds of 1800-2100 fps in the 450 BPE. (The Woodleigh 405 [for 45-70] was designed for impacts of 1700-2000 fps.) Both are soft, but bonded.

Harder cored bullets include the 350 Speer in C&Cs and the 350 Swift in the pricier stuff.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
I have to wonder why there is so much emphasis put on velocity?? Load an expanding 400-405 grain bullet to 1400-1500 fps and it will kill like a lightning bolt. Useable range?? Farther than most would believe. Just have to have sights that have the adjustment. The 45-70 was one of the buffalo stompers of the 19th century. It did NOT get less lethal in 136 years.

Very much agree with you. I use a 425 grain cast flat point driven at 1550-1600 fps, and I have yet to find a critter that can stop it, at any angle. And it doesn't kick me out from under my hat...

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Howdy there Klik

I don't know where you get your info,but the 350 FP did not exist before the introduction of the 450 Marlin.It was made just for the 450 Marlin,not the 45-70 and if you have some you can see the different nose design it has over other 45-70 bullets..

You will never see the Flat Point in any factory .458 Win Mag ammo like you see the Round Nose.If so,point it out to this poor old Idaho hillbilly. grin

CP Cartridges 458 Win Mag load.

458 Winchester Mag. 350 Gr. Hornady RN
2500 FPS

Happy Thanksgiving,Mark!

Jayco

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Logger Ron,

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.

My info on the Hornady bullets comes straight out of Hornady's own manuals. Both bullets, regardless why they were originally designed, are presently offered as components in forms that have identical working speeds. (And both are purported to work at 458 Winchester speeds. The flat-nose even has a slightly better ballistic coefficient FWIW.) Like the Remington 405, neither is an especially spectacular bullet when run into heavy, tough targets. I imagine one would have to make some serious blunders behind the gun to have issues when hunting moose (or elk) with them however. That said, there are better bullets.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Klik,

I think you've nailed it pretty good. I don't recommend the 405 Rem across the board... I give qualifications for all the bullets I've tested in Marlins, NEF, Ruger No.1s and 458WM.

The deal for me is that the 405 Rem has worked well on bear for me at MV over 2000 fps - complete pass thru - 3/4" entrance and exit, 2 1/2 ft penetration. The 400 Speer at MV of 1865 took 2. First "blew up" near hide. Made a 3" wound and massive hemmorage. Second shot was finisher at 85 yds. That was found in armpit of offside. First was never found and never made exit. I swore off the Speer from that moment to this on anything larger than a N. whitetail.

I compressed a bunch of bullets (45-70) in a vise at the same pressure. The 400 Speer and 350 Hornady RN were "pancaked". The 405 Rem was barely flattened at the nose! I've a friend who shot a decent blackie with his Marlin 45-70 using the 405 Rem. Leaving the muzzle at about 1940 fps it impacted the right front shoulder and exited via the offside ham - 4 ft penetration.

I'm wondering... did Remington change the hardness of the lead alloy in recent years? I hear rumors of that due to the bullet not expanding at the low factory velocities. The several hundred that I bought a number of years ago seem, to me, to be very tough! They do have a thin jacket but the core is much harder than the Speer or Hornady that I have in my collection.

I agree, however, that for moose I'd use a hardcast (since Swifts and some other premiums are just not available in Canada). I have a good supply of 465gr hardcasts that will flatten anything in N.A. In my Ruger No.1 Imp, I use the 350 TSX at 2470 fps.

Has anyone seen or tried the new Barnes "Buster"? It looks good based on promo material.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I shoot the Rem 405gr JSP because it is cheap. I launch it out of my guide gun at 1800fps. I shot an Elk head on, with the bullet entering and following a length of the spine, exiting the spine and lodging back in the grass bag. The bullet expanded to 1". It didn't break up. It certainly didn't fail. It made a massive wound channel for over 2ft.

I don't know how tough the Remington is compared to other jacketed bullets, but I believe it is very adequate for Elk. In my opinion, if you are comfortable at close range with a 375H&H loaded with softpoints, then you won't see much difference with a 405gr Rem JSP launched at 1800fps or greater.

I've shot a lot of hardcast out of my 45-70, and it is OK, but it drills a 1/2" hole in and out. I much prefer the massive wound channel of an expanding bullet - since I'm not hunting armor-plated grizzlies.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dober this is a little late but if your speaking of being in bear country and want some extra assurace perhaps, I like those "hardcast" Piledriver bullets from Beartooth & Co.

I have used the Hornady XTP bullets in my .458 win mag at 16, 17, 18 and 1900fps velocity speaking. They turned inside out most of them shooting through a piece of 5/8 drywall, 3/4 inch plywood backed by a tin trash can. The bullet jackets separated sometimes and bullets balled up looking like a bloob of metal.

I also shot the same type Hornady bullet 350 grn XTP .475 dia. in my 470 Capstick and they did the same thing at 1500 & 1600 fps. This distance was at 75 yards, I would not recommend any XTP bullets for hunting moose or elk. They just seemed to be to fragile and soft on inner core.

I have also shot those 405 Remington bullets and they stay together. However, if I were on a big hunt, I would want my hardcast bullets for my lever guns, both the 45/70 and .444 Marlin.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, if you can find them, I love the 300 gr. nosler partition. While I haven't shot a moose with it, I've taken a black bear, several wild hogs, and 7 head of african plains game with the partition, and had zero issues.

maddog

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Thx
Dober

I have killed deer with the 350 round nose from my GG. It works. Folks report that the RNs are tougher than the FNs. I got a zillion of the RNs a couple years ago. PM me if you want a handfull to test.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tonk
I have used the Hornady XTP bullets in my .458 win mag...
Hornady does not make .458" XTP bullets and it is not advisable to use the .452" XTPs designed for handguns in a 458 Win Mag.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
This was from a big caribou not a moose. The 405 Rem often acts as a sabot... the hard lead core leaves the jacket and acts as a pretty good semi-hardcast. The core weighs 350 grains and penetrates well with or without jacket.

[Linked Image]

That being said I like the Hornady 350 grain bullet. It expands down to 1400fps and hangs together at 2000. I also like the 300 Nosler partition which out penetrates any other expanding bullet in this caliber.

I bought a bunch of 450 grain FN Hardcast bullets. They penetrate 14" of knotty spruce and 21" of wet newsprint. I couldn't get enough wetnewsprint alone to stop them. Recovered they could almost be shot again. Wound channel about the same as a 22 Hornet with 55 Spires in width but of course much deeper.. Not sure that's what I would want to use on Moose.

Last edited by North61; 03/20/10.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
More on guide bullets. This from a study I did on some of my outdoor rigs. The newer 405 grains do seem a bit softer to me. Near the bottom the 1" mushroom is a 405 Rem in newsprint at about 1800fps. The .70 caliber 350 Hornady looks shrimpy in comparison. Despite the big mushroom the bullet penetrated well. The 44 Rem Mag bullets are from an original Ruger Carbine. It works surprisingly well too.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The 250gr tsx(AKA The Flying Ashtray) loaded to 2600fps knocks the crap out of critters.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Can you load it at such high speed for a rifle as short as a guide ?

Va t'in tch�re !
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Mine has a 22" barrel, I believe.
Load is form the Barnes manual BTW.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
That's quick, for sure.

Brother Keith

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

350 grain bullets for 45-70; l to r: Speer, Hornady FN, Hornady RN. 1413 fps, 1403 fps, 1349 fps respectively. All fired into wet newsprint.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
ok boys, everybody has their favorites. Mine is the 300 gr. nosler partition. I've killed hogs, bear, kudu, gemsbok,blue wildebeast, warthog, impala, blesbok and zebra with that bullet. Most at 1950 fps, out of my 45-70 GG[ported]. I expect to get a few more critters with that same bullet. Your mileage may vary.grin

maddog

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maddog the 300 Nosler Partition is a good bullet that does stay together but I wanted more bullet weight for bigger critters, when using my 45/70 lever gun. I like those Remington 405 grain bullets for bigger critters too. I also believe the Remmy has made them a bit softer in the nose section compared to others in the past.

Nothing beats those Beartooth "Piledrivers" (hardcast bullet)for penetration that I have found and I do mean lots of penetration. The Hornady bullets just don't cut it, as they do come apart when the velocity gets much over 1350fps. I have pushed them a lot faster out of my .458 Win mag bolt gun into wet newspaper also. A great bullet for whitetail deer, NOT big bears in my humble opinion.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
have put hornady 350gr FN's into 15+ moose and bear. only ever recovered one, and it was a perfect mushroom. took 4' of moose to stop it, 60yrd shot, quartering away. found in the offside hide.

all animals went down on the spot when hit. huge fan of that round.

The Mountains Are Calling And I Must Go
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I know that I am a little late on this topic, but I got my Maine bull permit this year, and this subject is something that I have been researching like crazy since finding out I got picked in the lottery. I am planning on using my Marlin 1895 Cowboy, and I have looked at lots of ballistic charts for what seems like every bullet out there, cast, jacketed & solid. I ended up selecting the Woodleigh 400 Grain Protected Round Point because of its ballistic coefficient of .340 (ballistics below). For comparison, I included the ballistics for the Hornady Interlock 350gr flat nose bullet with the same muzzle velocity. I forgot to change the zero to 50 yards, but the velocity & energy aren't impacted by that.

My plan is for it to leave the cowboy's 26" barrel at 1900fps over 50grs of Reloader 7. There will be one in the chamber and one in the tube, and the rifle will be zeroed at 50 yards because I want to get as close as possible. That said, things don't always work out as we hope, so I thought I'd select a bullet that would maintain moose type energy out to 200 yards. I didn't find too many bullets with the BC of this Woodleigh, and most were considerably lower and had the typical rainbow trajectory associated with the 45-70. The Woodleigh does a little better, and it's designed for penetrating big game with controlled expansion, which I think is a must for a moose bullet. I know that lots have been shot with lots less and with lots more. This being possibly the only moose hunt I ever go on, I want a humane kill and I don't want to take any chances so this is where I'm at right now. Just under 7 weeks until my October hunt, and I am chomping at the bit.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Last edited by bossloper; 08/27/10.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JACKFISH! Sorry on the misprint understand, I had my .470-Capstick on the brain at the time and repeated myself. No big deal because those XTP bullets are JUNK for big game such as moose, elk, bear in my humble opinion. They just will not stay together and shed their jackets almost everytime out the gate.

Now if someone really wants a top penetrating bullet, Swift A Frames in a jacketed bullet will take the prize you betcha. In a "hard cast bullet" I'll give the salute to those Beartooth "PILEDRIVERS"........Amen!

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I would say you need atleast a 400 grain bullet. I'd go with a buffalo bore 405 grain soft point, or if your concerned about penetration go with the 430 grain hard cast one which is like 1925 feet per second. Or the 500 grain FMJ is also an option. All cost around $60. Whatever you pick, practice before you go so you know how the recoil feels and how the trajectory is, set up targets at 25, 50, 100, 150 and 200 yards. Practice fast shots at 25 yards in case of a charge. Moose can be dangerous especially during the rut.

Jeszcze Polska nie zginela kiedy my zyjemy,co nam obca przemoc wziela szabla odbierzemy.

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just to give an idea, the mushroomed slug I recovered from my moose. 3' of penetration which included a full paunch,AKA 150 lb sack of wet mulched wood. Cast at 30:1,540 grains. L to R,as cast, patched, and moosekiller. You REALLY do not need fast or hard to penetrate and blow a moose out of his sneakers.
[Linked Image]

M.V. is chronographed @ 1400.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I took this one in October with my 1895 in 45-70 using the Nosler 300gr Partition. It was more than enough.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Hornady 325gr LeverRevolutions will do the job just fine. If you feel the need to run sonething stronger, give the 420gr Garrett Hammerheads a try. If I did my own reloading then i'd probably run the 300gr NP's as I am a big fan of that particular bullet.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CZ550
FWIW: The 405 Remington is MUCH tougher than either the 350 Hornady or the 400 Speer, which are both VERY soft. They work OK if kept at 1500 to 1800 fps, but that Remington can be pushed to 2000 without problems. And yes, I also use a 465gr hardcast in my 22" Marlin at 1900 fps! It'll stop a freight train! grin

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

I have heard that "The 405 Remington is MUCH tougher than either the 350 Hornady or the 400 Speer" and it is most likely true.... but

the 400g Speer did a number on my Bison at 85yrds and My sons Managment elk at about the same distance...

I'm guessen the moose will not know the diff.

The 400g Speer was moving at about 1900ft/sec out of my XLR.

Maybe nextime I will try the Remington 405s

T

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Sooo...did you go find a moose yet??

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
After cleaning about 30 roadkill moose I have decided the best place to shoot a moose is right beside the road.I cleaned about 30 roadkills for myself and friends and its not always fun.Roadkills took the fun out of shooting them.I have have had to fend off bears,other people and weather.,Draging them them with a bronco II with a ship rope up a 300 foot hill at midnight in the rain and salvage ones hit by 18 wheelers.Take lots of very sharp knives and about 3 or 4 friends its no fun to do by yourself.In one week I did three and was worn out for a week.Its awesome meat.They make very good burger so save every red scrap.The ribs are awesome too!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 160user, 1234, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 52 invisible), 2,400 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,520
Posts18,472,548
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.