-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
.723" minus .680" = .043" constriction...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
MOGC, is .723 the actual ID of the Benelli barrels? I was unable to locate the dimension on Benelli's website.

I was taught, and have found, that traditional 12's are a .730 (give or take a couple thousandths) bore. The reason I ask is that so many of todays 12's are coming from the factory "backbored" or "overbored" (as is my Mossberg at .775). My curiosity lies with the effect of actuall constriction and pattern performance with the DC loads.

As an example, my 935 shoots good DC patterns with the IM (.725) briley choke. This choke tube gives me an actual constriction of .050". My Ulti full is .695, giving a total of .080" constrction. To me it is too much for a large (BB to Buck) shot size and I have not bothered to try it yet. My IC (.755) gives .020" constriction and does not throw as tight a pattern with the DC. I am sure that the tighter Ulti would actually throw a larger patter. I also would love to try a Mod and a full to see where the sweet spot with these laods is, but am not in possession of either choke for my gun.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm sure that is it for Benelli barrels .723".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The older Benelli and Beretta guns were definately .723" and were of tighter constriction than the American guns which normally ran around .729". The back boring rage ran the bores all over the map upward to .735" - .745" for a 3" 12 gauge shotgun. IMHO there can be too much of a good thing. I've shot lots of great patterns with large LEAD shot from .040" - .060" constriction. Plated LEAD Number Four Buckshot will shoot beautifully within that range and so will BB size lead shot loads. This from a 3" 12 gauge, when using the Roman Candle 3 1/2" a little looser is better. The smaller "denser than lead" shot like Hevi-Shot and Wingmaster HD in T's or BB's will do well at the larger end of that range through a choke rated for steel. But never shoot steel through those tight chokes.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I just saw this and have been away a few days. I am not going to get in a pissing match with everyone over this. I use a Benelli with a Pure Gold choke. I normally use #2 or B Hevi-shot loads as loaded by Remington (which they don't load anymore) I use the 1400 fps stuff.

It works like dynamite and doesn't do any pelt damage. I could never get #4 buckshot to pattern anywhere near as good as the smaller stuff.

My buddy's load their own. They load 1 5/8 oz at 1450 fps. One uses an 835 the other a 10 ga. With the 10 ga, he has made a number of 100 yd shots but doesn't do it as a rule.

I have never tried- an won't. A 12 will never pattern that much shot as well as a 10 ga. I also don't like the Dead Coyote stuff.

You can be as skeptical as you choose, frankly, I don't care. I just like shooting coyotes with a shotgun and will continue to do so. I will use Hevi-shot until I can find something else as good or better.

Maybe I have just been lucky that I haven't lost anything to these loads. I hope my luck holds!

Each gun is different. You will have to play with some chokes to see what works. I really liked the Pattern master but it wouldn't work with slugs and I carry slugs for lions.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
StubbleDuck,

There is a loooong thread on patterns/chokes/shot size with pics of the patterns at different ranges, etc at:

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=777351&page=1

It includes DC, 4bk, and some others.

If you find the combo that works best with your gun you will be happy despite what the rest of us opine.

B

J
J
Works pretty good and patterns well. Problem is a pattern that tight that you are shooting at 60 yds and making 75% of the pattern in a paper plate is a bit overkill. A shotgun is meant for close range shooting and being able to kill those that are comin in fast and out even quicker. At a normal shotgun range you could miss a target easy depending on how much you pull the shot. JMO

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have killed a number of coyotes that had only 2-3 pellets in them. The Hevi-shot seems to go all the way through most of the time. The Dead Coyote pellets are NOT the same as the smaller ones.n They are pressed together and do not seem as hard or dense. They don't have the same amazing penetration ability as the crude-looking smaller pellets.

Don't get hung up on the name- try both and see what you prefer.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

254 members (257_X_50, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 12savage, 29aholic, 264mag, 31 invisible), 2,297 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,501
Posts18,490,489
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.