-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A few months ago I posted some photos of the completed rifle that was built by Dean Zollinger and James Anderson. At the time I mentioned that the �twin� rifle that was being built for my Dad was just about finished. Well, a week ago Dad took delivery of the completed rifle.

To save me some typing I pasted and edited the details of the rifles below:

As I mentioned in previous posts several years ago my Dad and I decided we wanted to build a matching pair of rifles. But at the same time we wanted them to each still be unique. The intent was that after they were built we would hunt with them and enjoy them and then when it came time for Dad to pass on his guns we would pass these rifles on to my boys. That way they would each have something special that was done by Dad and Grandpa together. Thanks to the work of 2 incredibly talented gun builders the rifles are now complete.

I was hesitant about going with a stainless rifle. I was concerned that it would end up looking like a rifle left in the white. But Dad and I wanted the rifles to be significantly different. Even after seeing it in progress I was sort of regretting choosing the stainless. But now that I have the rifle in hand the stainless has really grown on me and I really love how it looks with the stock I have.

James Anderson contoured the barrel to an octagon that is very trim and elegant. He also did his cloverleaf conversion to the tang as well as made a custom checkered bolt release.. He also did the same treatment to Dad�s rifle. Once James finished his work he sent the projects on to Dean Zollinger.

Dean welded on a new bolt handle, made the custom contoured scope bases, finished all the metal to a nice satin bead blasted finish. He also did all the stock work. I asked Dean for a slim and trim stock with a nice open grip.

The blank for Dad�s rifle was a real find. I bought the blank from the widow of an old gun builder. He had passed on 20 years before I bought the blank and she had decided to clean out shop. I almost feel guilty for the bargain I got on the blank once I saw the completed stock!!! It is a beautiful piece of very old Bastogne.

I know the scope is mounted very high � but those are the rings Dad had and it fits him. But I did just mail him a set of low Talley rings so he can lower it down a bit. He is also going to swap the scope to a matte finish eventually.

I know mine and Dad�s photo taking ability is lacking. But you get the idea.

Specs:

Action: Winchester M70 Classic / mine is a M70 Classic Stainless

Caliber: 300 Winchester Magnum

Barrel: Dad�s � Badger CM 1:10 twist 24� / mine - Half Moon stainless 1:10 twist 24�

Bottom Metal: Blackburn

Rings: Talley

Bases: Dean Zollinger custom

Scope: Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40

Stock: Dad�s � Bastogne / mine - English Walnut

Grip cap: Fisher 2 screw

Swivel bases: Duane Wiebe custom

My Rifle:

[Linked Image]

Dad�s Rifle:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v428/M1Tanker70/300WINMAG007.jpg[/img]

William Berger

"True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway." - John Wayne
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think you beat out the Old Man on bragging rights on your wood.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nice rifles! The fiddleback on Dad's rifle is pretty spectacular!I do like the stainless/wood effect.Very nice on both of them.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fine customs right there! Done any paperwork at the range yet? Sweet....

nut

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Holy crapola.

Those stocks are stunning.

IC B2

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Beautiful, simple elegance.

Michael J

NRA Life Member
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Beautiful!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 01Foreman400, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,270 guests, and 1,069 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,664
Posts18,512,966
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.