Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
MartyC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
John B.
did you do anything to Eileen's mod 88 (.308) in the way of tightening / loosening the barrel screw to make it shoot better? after I read the .308 is Great article I decided that if it was "good enough for Eileen" I picked one up in a trade. I also noticed that the little sucker kicks with authority so it will wear an old K-4 for weight & maybe a limbsaver I have on the bench. A replacement stock costs more than the gun did so i haven't mounted the recoil pad yet (don't want to lose value) Just need a point to start when I start loading. Eileen is tougher than this old Montana boy if she sits @ the bench for a half dozen or so shots (I think it is stouter than my 348) MartyC
Marty

marty
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Marty, what magazine and issue was the article in? Thanks.

Ps Welcome to the fire!
PPs Found it, Handloader 230, FEB 2006

Last edited by Odessa; 08/29/09.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

M
MartyC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Thanks, looks like a fun site, already found an old friend & will appreciate the advice -- also have a few opinions because I started about the same time & a few miles from Mr. Barsness. I was on the West side & on the Highline, but a Mt boy recognises another Mt boy wherever they live.... & god knows we are opinionated.

marty
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
MartyC, not to butt in but I had a pre64 88 in 308 also, and I can honestly say it kicked more than my Model 70 338mag. I mean it hurt. I also had a post 64 88 in 308 that I had rebored into a 358win and bought a new stock from Fajen. It's night and day between the two, the 358 (with Decelerator pad) is a joy to shoot. The 308 was sold.

"The older I get, the better I was"
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have shot many .308 winchesters, Savage 99, M-88 and M-100 Win. and a number of 98 custom mausers..I have never consider the .308 a kicker and could shoot several hundred rounds per day even before I started shooting 416s, 458s, 500s, many years ago.

The point I am trying to make is recoil is subjective, my recoil tolerances are pretty well limited to calibers up to and including the .416 Rem, 404 Jefferys etc. The 458 Lott and up are bothersome to the point that I have to concentrate on not flinching with them, so, although I have hunted with them I don;t prefer them..

I think anyone can manage a reasonalble amount of recoil once he figures out that recoil has never killed anyone and that if he takes certain steps to overcome recoil, then he can stand some pretty severe recoil if he is willing to work at it.

The recoil of the 308, 270, and 30-06 should be easy for about any heathy adult to overcome IMO..Add a good recoil pad, be sure the stock is the correct length for you, be sure it doesn't wack you in the cheeck because the comb is too high, and your good to go

I learned to shoot heavy recoiling rifles such as a .338, 375 and 404 Jefferys by using a muzzle brake and I took it off at the end of each shooting session and fired about 5 rounds off hand, and later took it off while hunting. Over a time (about a year or so as I recall) I cut the brakes off and the recoil has never bothered me since..Also when I shoot my .308 sav. 99 300 H&H M-70, 30-06s, any lesser gun, it feels like I'm shooting a 22. It works.

The bottom line is the .308 does not kick anything like a .338, that is percieved only. It is impossible. felt recoil is another matter and come about from a poorly fitted rifle stock.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
For me the M88 308 is definitely a kicker, but not on my shoulder. It is absolutely brutal on my cheekbone.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I must fit mine well,
It does,nt kick much. I would not bother putting a pad on it.
But I had a remington 760 carbine .308 that kicked like a mule, I did not know that it was a rare rifle or I would have sold it without the pad. I put a pad on it and sold it years ago.
I think it's just a matter of stock fitting the shooter.
I fit the standard 13.5 length just about right
Forgot to mention ,my 88 is very acurate....tj3006

Last edited by tj3006; 08/30/09.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My brother has both a Model 88 and Model 100. The stocks have too much drop on them, but I think Cabelas sells a lace-on cheekpiece that would help, with the cheek-whacking.

He reports his are extremely accurate, as well.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have a 1st year that the previou owner put a hard as stone Red Head recoil pad and mine recoils worse than my 308 m700 but less than my m99f. The savage really kicks.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by gahuntertom
I have a 1st year that the previou owner put a hard as stone Red Head recoil pad and mine recoils worse than my 308 m700 but less than my m99f. The savage really kicks.

Diddo here. I have a Savage 99C in .308 that surely gets your attention with 180gr bullets. It has some old recoil pad on it I mean to take off some day. My Winchester 88 (post 64) has the original butt plate and I don't find it's recoil intolerable with the same load.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The bottom line is the .308 does not kick anything like a .338, that is percieved only. It is impossible. felt recoil is another matter and come about from a poorly fitted rifle stock.

there in lies the rub.....i hate my wifes 7-08 but i love my 260 thats over a pound lighter.....reason? the length of pull on my wifes rifle is damn near 3 inches to short for me.....due to the laws of physics a 308 should never be able to hit yah harder than a 338.....but if yah wrap yourself around a stock that aint right for yah it sure in the hell can feel like it grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
This discussion is about recoil of the .308 and after reading each of these posts it has nothing to do with the caliber but the phyical build of each of us and stock fit of which both can differ and make a rifle uncomfortable to shoot..

Example: RickF states his 88 hurts his cheek, if he would take a rasp to the comb and cut about 1/4" or less off of it then it would no longer hurt his cheek, as the comb is to high for his face and shoulder build..

Another poster claims the 88 has too much drop for him but most of us are OK with the drop on the 88..Too much drop is something the human body can adjust to with a little bit of practice, not so the high comb, it is what it is..

Much to do is written by experts on stock design, but on the whole most of us can adjust to a gun, at least to a certain extent with some exceptions like comb being to high or stock being too short or too long..

I build all my personal big bores with a low comb set up for iron sights, then I shoot them with a scope quit a bit..It has never bothered me because many years ago my hunting, ranching family mostly had Win M-70s in 06 and .270s, all old guns with low combs and they were iron sighted..Then in about 1948 or 49 Bill Weaver hunted deer on our ranch and that following Christmas he gave each member of the family a 2.5X Weaver. We stuck them on our guns and after an adjustment period (meaning we learned they had to be sighted in!! smile :)) we used them with success with those low comb rifles and never knew any better, we figured if the x was on the target the animal died, and it worked out that way regardles of how we held the rifle. For that I am eternally grateful, because a properly scoped gun according to the experts cannot be shot with iron sights as the comb is too high..Take your pick, its a compromise to some and a bit of ingenuity to others. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i much prefer low combs.....but my face seems built funny compared to most.....even with most straight stocks i need high rings to make things line up with a solid cheek weld.....i hate monte carlo style cause they put me way high.....my wife on the other hand has to have the high comb.....

for me a major problem with anything with a fast recoil pulse is that the solvents i use on my presses sem to polish up the calluses on my hands making them some what slick and my hand will slip during recoil and my knuckles start to get beat up by the bolt and trigger guard usually long before my shoulder says its had enough....

some guys that prolly run down the middle as far as builds likely find it way easier to make a variety of stock designs work.....those of us on the outer edges have a rougher time....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I would like to sugjest another posiblity to the guys getting wacked on the cheek, how about looking at your scope rings ? Getting a proper or improper cheek weld might be a function of how how tall your rings are ?
...tj3006

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Everyone's reality is different. I have an .308/88 and it's a pussycat - and I'm no macho man when it comes to recoil.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by atkinson
This discussion is about recoil of the .308 and after reading each of these posts it has nothing to do with the caliber but the phyical build of each of us and stock fit of which both can differ and make a rifle uncomfortable to shoot..

Example: RickF states his 88 hurts his cheek, if he would take a rasp to the comb and cut about 1/4" or less off of it then it would no longer hurt his cheek, as the comb is to high for his face and shoulder build..

Ray, you're of course right. The truth is that in addition to the comb, the trigger sucked on my 88 just like on all 88's I've ever tried.

I loved the balance of the bare rifle, but put a scope on it and that nice balance goes away.

In the end I didn't love 88's enough to keep them around.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
RickF brings up a point I had forgotten.
I found years ago a corelation to trigger and recoil. If you are benching a rifle with a poor trigger pull , and you squeeze and squeexe, waiting for the damn thing to break , it becomes hard not anticipate the recoil, a nice light trigger breaks sooner , lessening the anticipation time.
The trigger on my 88 is better than most, but it sucks when compared to good bolt.
This thread gives me an idea for new lever thread.
...tj3006

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Sorry not to answer earlier but was in Alaska for 2-1/2 weeks.

I did nothing to Eileen's .308 88. As far as I could tell it was right out of the factory and shot very well.

Stock shape has as much effect on felt recoil as anything, and we are all different. I got the snot knocked out of me by an aluminum buttplated .308 Savage 99 EG when I was a 112-pound 13-year-old and hence hated the cartridge for a long time. Now I really like the round--but my own .308's are great to shoot. Eileen's custom stocked, 6-1/2 Serengeti .308 fits her pfectly and is the first rifle in the .270/.308/.30-06 class that she has ever liked to shoot. It hurts me because it doesn't fit me!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by atkinson

Another poster claims the 88 has too much drop for him but most of us are OK with the drop on the 88..Too much drop is something the human body can adjust to with a little bit of practice, not so the high comb, it is what it is..

Much to do is written by experts on stock design, but on the whole most of us can adjust to a gun, at least to a certain extent with some exceptions like comb being to high or stock being too short or too long..

I build all my personal big bores with a low comb set up for iron sights, then I shoot them with a scope quit a bit..It has never bothered me because many years ago my hunting, ranching family mostly had Win M-70s in 06 and .270s, all old guns with low combs and they were iron sighted..Then in about 1948 or 49 Bill Weaver hunted deer on our ranch and that following Christmas he gave each member of the family a 2.5X Weaver. We stuck them on our guns and after an adjustment period (meaning we learned they had to be sighted in!! smile :)) we used them with success with those low comb rifles and never knew any better, we figured if the x was on the target the animal died, and it worked out that way regardles of how we held the rifle. For that I am eternally grateful, because a properly scoped gun according to the experts cannot be shot with iron sights as the comb is too high..Take your pick, its a compromise to some and a bit of ingenuity to others. smile

Ray,

I find this to be one of the most rational and practical posts I've read here in weeks.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
M
MartyC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Thanks for the input guys, John, hope you had a magnificent hunt. Ray you are about a foot taller than I am, although I'm meaner, I'll take your comments to the range & grit my teeth. The 88 is going to be modified a bit (oh! my checkbook already hurts) even with a reduction as a collector because the prevoius owner polished & shined but hardly shot it, & it fits in with my mod 71 & the BLR .257 Rob, & mod 94 25-35 in the safe so well. My .257 has been my PBGR (& the 6th one I've owned) for nearly 25 years now, with a .280, 348, 338, 30-06, & now a first .308 as fillers-in as necessity dictates. Kind of looking for another, maybe in .300 short something next. gotta have new toys........

marty
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

501 members (1badf350, 219 Wasp, 160user, 22250rem, 10gaugemag, 1234, 58 invisible), 5,979 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,819
Posts18,536,870
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.