Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
danr55 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
That's great folks. I really appreciate the help. As for some of the comments, please remember that this has to be written so that soccer Moms will understand what it says. That's part of the game. <BR>Terms like "assault weapons" and "Gun Violence" are the parlance of the day. It's a term that Joe and Joann Citizen can relate to. The validity of the survey would be questionable if it were only submitted to people who owned one of more guns and thought they were OK. Gotta give the other side, no matter how disillusioned they are, an equal shot. <BR>Thanks again for your help.<BR> [img]images/icons/cool.gif" border="0[/img]

Dan in Arizona

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I don't understand how the use of clear and accurate terminology would NEGATIVELY affect the validity of your survey, but then, I didn't graduate, either. [img]images/icons/blush.gif" border="0[/img]

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Good Survey. Had no problem with truthful answers. [img]images/icons/crazy.gif" border="0[/img]

"Use a big enough gun!"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Masters...? You Dan? [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img] Good luck, Sir...I gave ya my datapoint! Sparkman

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did your survey. Visited your elk site. What a great site! I would love to see an elk being quartered without gutting it first. Does that work on deer too? I've been kicking arould the idea of a new rifle and could not make up my mind between .270 Win and 7 Rem Mag. I think you just convinced me to go with the seven mag. I visited Jackson hole this summer, loved the Tetons! Have a few years to go until I can retire from my curent vocation then I plan to do something about the lack of an elk in my trophy room.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
done [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img]

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Done<P>Scott

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Done. Only thing I'd add, is I live in a rool... rule...ruale... rooul (damn it!) area. [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img]~~~Suluuq

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by danr55:<BR><STRONG>That's great folks. I really appreciate the help. As for some of the comments, please remember that this has to be written so that soccer Moms will understand what it says. That's part of the game. <BR>Terms like "assault weapons" and "Gun Violence" are the parlance of the day. It's a term that Joe and Joann Citizen can relate to. The validity of the survey would be questionable if it were only submitted to people who owned one of more guns and thought they were OK. Gotta give the other side, no matter how disillusioned they are, an equal shot. <BR>Thanks again for your help.<BR> [img]images/icons/cool.gif" border="0[/img]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Sorry, but I think you're wrong. If loaded terms like "assault weapon" and "gun violence" are the "parlance of the day" as you say, then it's because the general public has an inaccurate idea of what those terms mean. Using such terms in a survey you hope to be unbiased only perpetuates the error. An assault weapon, for instance is illegal for most of us. To use the term when you REALLY mean a legal semi-auto that LOOKS like an assault weapon simply prompts the uninitiated to answer as though you were referring to the illegal weapon. <BR>Likewise "gun violence" is a buzzword that in the eyes of Jane Soccermom referrs to an act that WOULD NOT HAPPEN if there were just some "common sense" laws on the books. That it's unlawful anyway is not part of the thought process. <BR>In fact, loaded terms bypass the thought process. They evoke an EMOTIONAL response and answer. If your survey seeks reasoned responses you have to ditch the loaded, misleading and inaccurate terms you employ. I believe the term is "semanticlly neutral."<BR> <BR> [img]images/icons/crazy.gif" border="0[/img]

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Talker:<BR><STRONG>I believe the term is "semanticlly neutral." [img]images/icons/crazy.gif" border="0[/img]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><B>I like it !!</B><BR>Btw .... about "weapon" ... that's semantically neutral, right? [img]images/icons/cool.gif" border="0[/img]

IC B3

B
B
Done and good luck!

my thoughts in the woods" Man, there's just too many freaking squirrels around here"
D
danr55 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Talker, What do you think I would do with the "Assault Weapon" question if the majority of the responses come back positive? If any of the resonses come back positive for that matter. How many crimes involving guns are actually committed by felons using what is termed, in the most drastic stretch of anyone's definition, as an assault weapon? What percentage of actual "armed" crimes does that represent? If you get to one, you've gone too far. Now, please stop criticizing the composition of the questions and respond or not. <P>It appears as though two of the boards where this request has been posted have psuedo lawyers representing, or challenging the integrity of my questionaire or my purpose in posting it. <P>In two years, no one except me will remember this paper. I don't understand why it is such an issue. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif" border="0[/img] [img]images/icons/cool.gif" border="0[/img]

Dan in Arizona
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
two years? <P>Heck, I don't think I'll remember it much more than a day after it is not on the top 20 topics of this board!

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
N
Nut Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I will remember the difficulties you went through to get the replies to a survey that you needed done to help you with your thesis Dan. <BR> I for one was glad to help out.

If ignorance is bliss,why aren't you smiling?
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Dan, I did do the survey...and I wish you well with it. But I'm a writer and journalist and I m a bit anal about words and how they're used. As a shooter, I'm also keenly aware of how we're often painted in the worst possible light in the general press. Sorry if that sensitivity came off as hostility to your survey or it's goals. None intended. <BR>Talker

E4E Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dan,<BR>psuedo lawyers are called "Citizens" in this day and age.<BR>There are two seperate camps on this issue.<BR>Those that know what an "Assault weapon" is,and those that don't know that the term referrs to something that dosn't exist.<BR>Science is pure,in that it seeks the truth using only pure data to the best human efforts to make it so.<BR>Anything else is suspect,or invalid,as corrupted by political bias.<BR>The terms "assault weapon" and "Gun violence" in a scientific survey, is akin to an aerospace engineer using the term "Thingy" to describe a part of a propulsion system.<BR>Not to harsh a good intentioned effort man,but "Talker" ain't just a journalist.<BR>He has several major journalism awards,and is the news director for the majority of the radio stations in a quartly region of Michigan,and a fellow speaker of the truth.<BR>He also ain't afraid to go against the politically correct grain even if his demographic is predominately soccer moms.<BR>He speaks the truth and they cannot refute it.If he offers advice to the validity of a study take it!He deals daily with the study's of the anti's,and refutes them to keep his news reports honest and reputable,and has done so for a long time now.The other mindless sheep spew forth facts and figures from flawed and slanted studies and surveys,and are soon memorys.<BR>It's all in a constructive light I assure you.Just some advice from a guy who is actually on your side,like it or not.<BR>Good luck!<BR>E4E

My Tractor ain't sexy!
My Rifle however, has issues with the matter.
The wife Definately ain't cornfused!
Good thing I have a Dog to come home to!!!!!!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
poll completed. Thanks for the web site.

Rick

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (5sdad, Akhutr, 673, 7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 14 invisible), 1,485 guests, and 865 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,207
Posts18,503,870
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.