Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
hglass Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was looking at a Sako 75 and a Weatherby Accumark. In 338 win and 340 weatherby. Is one a better rifle than the other. Will one be more accuarte than the other?? They cost about the same.

Last edited by hglass; 07/31/04.
HR IC

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Both fine rifles. I own an Accumark in 340. ABsolutely great and accurate rifle. Shoots conssitent 1/2 MOA with factory or handloads. The 338 is more practical, less expensive to shoot, has less recoil and it's not that far behind in performance. I personally like Weatherbys. Weigh the differences above and pick the one you like best. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Will one be more accuarte than the other??

There is no way to tell for sure but weatherby offers a 1-1/2" accuracy guarantee while sako rifles must shoot 1" groups before leaving the factory.

hglass Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Do you have the Accubrake?? If so how long is the barrel with the break??

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I own a SAKO and like it. My father in law has a weatherby mark V in 257 wea. mag and an old west german weatherbry in 300 wea. mag.

I handled and shot the weatherby's before i bought the SAKO.
I like the SAKO because:
1) Trigger adjustable through magazine well with a hex head wrench, no need to remove action from stock.
2) SAKO uses more stainless steel throughout the rifle than any other factory rifle, therefore, it is the "most" all-weather factory rifle you can buy. THere are very few parts that arent stainless, i have a list of them somewhere. Don't know if you want stainless
3) I like their stock design. I like the palm swell.
4) I liek the mounting system, easy to take off scopes and remount to the exact same point with no change in impact, no need to resight in.
5)I liek the detachable magazine and have never accidentally released it. It is not in an easy place to hit accidentally and not easy to push. This is a feature my father-in-law wishes his weatherby's had.

If i oculd change one thing, I wish it would come with a composite stock not injection molded. However, I have yet to read anything negative about the injection molded and you can buy a mcmillan for it if you wish. The stock it comes with is very stiff for a injection molded, but it is not fiberglass. I think this would matter more if using a bipod.

Also you can buy it new now without the key concept lock system. I would.

Accuracy has been great. I have shot some .5" groups with factory hornady interbond ammo.

Weatherby's are great also. GO handle each one and see which one you prefer. I dont think you can go wrong with either

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
IC B2

J
JJS Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Both are fine rifles and I am sure you will most likely be happy with either of them...I do not have as much experience with the Sako...I have just one...I have three Accumarks and with the exception of a couple of tactical rifles I have ....they are the most accurate out of the box rifle I have run seen...

I believe the 340 in Accumarks are 26" barrels and do not come standard with the accubrake...I with the accubrake would be approx. 28" incl. barrel at 26"....

Good luck ...either rifle is a good choice!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just sold my Weatherby Accumark in .340wby, the standard barrel length is 26" I had the Accubrake added so total length was increased by 2" 28" overall. I sold it because of its weight. I am starting to backpack hunt and decided to go the custom route with the same caliber in an ultralight rifle. When I bought the Weatherby I was trying to decide between the Sako 75 syn stainless and the Wby Accumark. I chose the Weatherby because I wanted the .340 and Sako didn't chamber that rifle in .340wby. So I can not comment on the Sako's but I can say they are very nice rifles I think you'll be very happy with either one. Good luck

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think you would have a hard time shooting a light weight 340 Weatherby. Remington model 700s are available in 375 H&H and Ultra mag. This weights 6 pounds 12 ounces and would be a b-tch to shoot!

[Linked Image from ]
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I have a Sako 75 S/S in .30-06 and love it. I have never owned a Weatherby so I cannot compare. I doubt you would go wrong with either one, but I would definately buy another Sako if the need arose.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Sako has the strongest action in the industry.
Sako has a 1" moa guarantee.
Sako all the way, hands down.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You cant go wrong with either rifle, I firmly beleive this. As for action strength, like stated above, I beleive the Sako as being the strongest but the Weatherby is definatly #2 (if not #1). I own both a Weatherby Mark V deluxe in .257 WBY Mag and a Sako TRG-S(very simular to the 75) in 7mmSTW and will tell you I cannot say one is more accurate than the other. I can acheive easily .5 MOA with both rifles. Some dont like the Monte Carlo style to the WBY but I personally love the way it looks and feels. The Sako 75 Syth stock I beleive has the most positive feel in the industry. The rubber inserts give you an absolute feeling in your hands. If it were me I would get the Weatherby for the added performance(though small). If performance is what your after you may also want to take a look at the 338-378 WBY or the 338 Lapua. The Sako in the Lapua would be a near unbeatable combination and I beleive you can get that combination. Either way, if your not against a brake, get one, your shoulder and maybe an eyebrow will thank you.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 2500HD, 35, Akhutr, 17 invisible), 1,617 guests, and 961 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,949
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.