Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
I'm on my 2nd Toyota Tacoma (Toyota bought back my '99 Taco last November for $14,100!!) and considered myself a Tacoma fan but I'm starting to lose that warm fuzzy with my current truck.

I bought my current Tacoma in November '09 and have already had to replace the windshield due to a leak and now my radio volume has quit working 2x this week so it'll obviously need replaced as well. Neither fix is a BIG deal but at this rate, I seriously doubt this truck will earn the "bullet-proof" label that has made Toyota so popular to date.

If I could do it all over again, I'd just save some $$ on the front end and go with a Ford F-150...... mad

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I would do the same thing. I bought a 2006 Tundra in January. It is OK, but don't like it as much as my F150. I haven't had any problems yet....on 50K on the odo so far.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I admit that I have a bias against jap products. Its the japs that started World War Two and subsequently killed my mother's only brother Mike in the south pacific.

The japs were so fanatical that they would not surrender even when beaten. We had to drop two atom bombs on them.

Thus I would have no pride in riding in a jap vehicle or owning a jap made gun for that matter.

The (jap) army felt that the troops must be keep fighting until the terms were formally agreed and broadcast this announcement : "We shall fight on to the bitter end, ever firm in our faith that we shall find life in death . . . and surge forward to destroy the arrogant enemy."

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Wait until your accelerator sticks. That will give you a 'surprise'.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Savage_99
I admit that I have a bias against jap products. Its the japs that started World War Two and subsequently killed my mother's only brother Mike in the south pacific.

The japs were so fanatical that they would not surrender even when beaten. We had to drop two atom bombs on them.

Thus I would have no pride in riding in a jap vehicle or owning a jap made gun for that matter.

The (jap) army felt that the troops must be keep fighting until the terms were formally agreed and broadcast this announcement : "We shall fight on to the bitter end, ever firm in our faith that we shall find life in death . . . and surge forward to destroy the arrogant enemy."
The Tacoma is made in the U.S.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Nebraska
I'm on my 2nd Toyota Tacoma (Toyota bought back my '99 Taco last November for $14,100!!) and considered myself a Tacoma fan but I'm starting to lose that warm fuzzy with my current truck.

I bought my current Tacoma in November '09 and have already had to replace the windshield due to a leak and now my radio volume has quit working 2x this week so it'll obviously need replaced as well. Neither fix is a BIG deal but at this rate, I seriously doubt this truck will earn the "bullet-proof" label that has made Toyota so popular to date.

If I could do it all over again, I'd just save some $$ on the front end and go with a Ford F-150...... mad
And if you went with a Ford, a leaky windshield and bad radio would be the least of your worries. You'd be fighting with the dealership to even admit any problem existed in the first place, then you'd be fighting with them to fix it under warranty, then they'd drag their feet fixing it and probably wouldn't do it worth a damn in the end.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a buddy that has a 2007 Tundra, I think he has lost count how many times Toyota has replaces the radio in that thing. I traded in a 2000 F150 4x4 for a 2006 Tundra, and wouldn't have if the transmission wouldn't have gotten salt water in it. Darn Hurricanes. My wife traded in the Toyota for a Nissan Maxima, so her old Trailblazer acts as my "truck" now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My 2006 ram was my first non toy new vehicle. There have been no major problems with the truck, but off the lot one of grab handles in the cab wasn't screwed on, and there was a cracked hose clamp that resulted in a slow coolant leak. The only thing slower than the coolant leak, was the 4 trips to the dealership over 6 weeks to get something fixed I could have figured out in an afternoon.

But why should I crawl on my back in the snow to find a broken hoseclamp when it's a 6 week old vehicle. The answer is, because it takes alot less time to fix it yourself than to deal with the dealership.

Hopefully this will be the last new truck I buy. I am keeping my eyes peeled for a mid 90's tacoma 4 cylinder trd for my kids vehicle.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Nebraska

I bought my current Tacoma in November '09...

Back to the future? smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Look who just ticked off the Germans and slighted Poland...

The japs were so fanatical that they would not surrender even when beaten.

Would you?

Me

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Hey Derby Dude, I can see where you are coming from, but I'm going to say it anyway: Imagine applying that fanaticism of theirs that you say they have to the building of little trucks! You, personally, may not want to be caught dead in one, but alot of people don't mind taking advantage of their ability to build a good truck.
At least the guys who fought them got to fight them til their azzes were thoroughly kicked.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

No but you will use a computer that has jap parts, watch TV that has jap parts, cook on a stove that has jap parts. You really need to get in touch with everyday life.

Jeff, sorry to hear about the current problems with the Toyota. Mine, Tundra has run 60 K for me without a bump. I now have 75 K on it and just stopped to check on replacing the timing belt, required at 90K. Bout fell over as it will be a 700.00 item.

Last edited by jimmyd223; 09/02/09.

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, that's an improvement. On the 3.0 V-6's the timing belt had to be replaced at 60k miles, same cost. It's a fair bit of labor to get to the timing belt.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As soon as I can find the one I want I'm going back to an 01-03 F-250 Powerstroke turbo diesel 7.3. Clunker or not. To heck with all this new stuff.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by jimmyd223
I now have 75 K on it and just stopped to check on replacing the timing belt, required at 90K. Bout fell over as it will be a 700.00 item.

Lots of stuff to pull off to get to that belt, that is what you were paying for, not the belt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A butt load of stuff to remove, the shop also said it might be a good idea to replace the water pump as it is in the same housing but damn if the water pump is 348.00 not counting labor. Shop said they could do both for 1K. Hell, that would buy another nice gun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by jimmyd223; 09/02/09.

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Wow! In case you haven't noticed, WWII has been over for about 64 years. Get over it! Don't suppose you buy things made in Germany either. And yes, by the way, my Tundra and Camry are both made in the good ole U.S.A. too, and are hands down better than ANY Ford, Dodge, or Chevy than I've ever owned. And I've owned several. But, never again! Go Toyota....

And Savage 99, GET A LIFE!!!!

Hunter01

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tacos WERE made at NUMMI in Kali. A week of so ago, Toyota announced that union party is over and is shutting her down.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by jimmyd223
A butt load of stuff to remove, the shop also said it might be a good idea to replace the water pump as it is in the same housing but damn if the water pump is 348.00 not counting labor. Shop said they could do both for 1K. Hell, that would buy another nice gun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had that done on my Taraus last fall. Head gasket, water pump, timing chain, and some other crap I can't remember....$2,700 crazy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by duckear
Tacos WERE made at NUMMI in Kali. A week of so ago, Toyota announced that union party is over and is shutting her down.
They're moving production to San Antonio where the Tundra is now assembled.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (222Sako, 160user, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,265 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,276
Posts18,486,709
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.