Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Lin Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Internet searches don't give much information about pronghorn. Anyone know if the iodine levels are safe in the pronghorn heart & liver?

Are the heart and liver safe to eat?
Thanks, Lin

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect. It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've eaten them with out ill effect. The heart is great, the liver tasts a little too "goaty" for my liking. All antelope taste better if you don't run them too hard before you cap 'em.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pronghorn is best if you shoot clean and take good field care and cool down the meat asap. As for the heart, enjoy. I was never much of a liver guy to begin with so I never bothered. Look, stop listening to the Food Cops about anything. They have an adjenda and its has nothing to do with what you eat or how, they just want to tell you when to breath and when you can have there permission to go to the bathroom. You could not shoot enough Pronghorn in a life time to ever get ill from some myth going around be it Iodine or lead bullets. Its really all about stopping you from hunting period. Enjoy the meals you are going to go collect this season.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes I always eat the liver with hours of it being shot. I always carry an onion. As a matter of fact I do the same with deer and elk. Slice thin, season and pan fry. DON'T OVER COOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heart seems to be tough and takes special preperation. If you fix beef heart then process the antelope heart the same.

Always place the liver and heart on ice asap.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
Lin Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks!!!
We have two antelope in the freezer, so far. Two more tags to fill. The hearts and livers were cooked up for the dog. The heart was the perfect "chewy" texture to have his eyes roll back as he savored each morsel.

The livers were exceptionally clean on both animals.

Next one.... I'll give it a taste.

Thanks, again.
Lin

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect. It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections.
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (17CalFan, 160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 12344mag, 53 invisible), 2,955 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,840
Posts18,517,155
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.