Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
TXRam Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I tried a search, but didn't find much at all.

I see many different types of slings for AR's on various websites. Single point, connection at buffer tube/lower junction, connections to quad-rail forearms, connection to stocks via quick connect and other methods, etc. Too many options . . . boggles my mind to try to think about 'em.

If you don't mind, post up your experience with what you do/don't like, etc. I (and others I'm sure) would really appreciate it.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
competition wise, Les Tam leather hands down beats all others IMHO. I should add thats in service rifle...

I don't use teh AR but for hunting and competition so have no clue on all those other fancy rigs.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
For most hunting situations any carry sling will work just fine.

But I do like the Blue Force Gear VCAS sling because I can cinch it up tight with a quick tug and loosen it just the same. I mount mine at the rear of the rail or on a non railed gun I use their sling adapter at the delta ring. The rear connection is on the stock in the usual manner, this allows enough space and 2 points of connection for stability.

I looked at a single point but the gun flops around too much if you turn it loose.

The VCAS keeps the gun at ready yet secure and keeps my hands free while walking or doing other things without fear of it slipping off my shoulder.
http://www.blueforcegear.com/product.cfm?type=cat&cat_id=5&prod_id=79

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I've been thinking about putting a thread like this up too. I'd like one of the slings that a guy can leave the gun hang at the ready with. I actually have one I got from Cabelas several years ago and it works just like I want but it has threaded long screws to close the connectors on the ends and the screws are way too thin, and get bent. I don't trust it to keep working much longer. I'm not sure what the name of the kind I'm looking for is, but I want a good one. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
The link I posted has you tube videos at the bottom, click on a video and you can see a list of several types of slings and uses.

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I run a 2 point VTAC sling both at work and on personal guns. The single point attachment types look neat but in practical application leave a lot to be desired. The VTAC and VCAS 2 point slings(I believe they are almost identical) allow a person to cinch up to secure the gun whenever the need arises or quickly loosen it to get it out of the way, like slinging it to your side to bend over or use both hands without the rifle in front of you.

The other thing I like is that I can get into a prone position and then tighten it up to aid me in achieving a more stable shootin platform.

I have tried quite a few slings over the years and the simple adjustable 2 point works best for me.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Great! I see that now. Thanks!

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Unlike Mackay I don't use my for work, but I like the VTAC slings for the same reasons.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Ost Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I like my VTAC.

I hate escalators. I slipped and fell down the steps for an hour and a half.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Yep, adjustable 2 points.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I absolutely detest the military issue 3 point sling. It gets in the way of the charging handle and bolt release. It sucks the rifle in to close the body especially with armor and equipment on. Single point is the only way I'll run. The wolf slings drag down on your gear and can�t be ran with your off hand well. The clip on single points are very convenient and work well in noisy situations. The only negative with the single is when you�re trying to run, carry or drag something hands free the rifle tends to flop around. The freedom of movement, access to controls and mobility, to me outweigh the negatives.

Mike

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't really use a sling. Yeah, those single point bungee slings look so Tacti-Kool, but I just can't see buying one.

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Back in the eighties, the issue sling or the variation packed with new AR's from Colt, sucked. IMO, to actually carry the AR in combat situations, what you need is something that allows your hands to be relatively free, yet keep the piece instantly available. You also don't want to be unable to access it without un-slinging. That said, I know nothing about the new generation of slings out there. Back in the day, you just wanted to make sure the sling was long enough. It was an added bonus if it had a good pad. It seems like some folks used to use M-60 slings, but my memory is fuzzy.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I don't really use a sling. Yeah, those single point bungee slings look so Tacti-Kool, but I just can't see buying one.

No doubt your people hailed from Scotland... laugh

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
it's all about what you do with your AR. I am sure that if I were going into harm's way with mine, I would have an epiphany regarding sling usage. smile

Sam......

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
some people are so predictable... grin

Last edited by TWR; 09/10/09.
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
oh and the only difference I could see between the VCAS and the VTAC is the tail gets longer on the VTAC and it stays the same on the VCAS.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Webbing on the VCAS appears to be a little heavier duty than on the VTAC.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by TWR
oh and the only difference I could see between the VCAS and the VTAC is the tail gets longer on the VTAC and it stays the same on the VCAS.

??

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I like the 3 point. I like the way I can move the gun around my body and it stays where I put it. I like how I can let it hang but it is still at the ready and comes right up to my shoulder with little effort. I like how it allows me to have my hands free for other things and still is maintained at the ready. I can see if a soldier had a lot of battle gear on it could become encumbered, but I also see lots of pics of our guys in the ME using it. I also like how it can easily be used as a two point, though I have not done so to any degree.

Does anyone have any opinions on which 3 point is the best from a standpoint of function and construction?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

422 members (10ring1, 1lessdog, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 204guy, 58 invisible), 17,763 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,988
Posts18,540,179
Members74,053
Most Online21,066
1 hour ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.