Print Thread
Hop To
S
slammer Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I recently bought a thumbhole stock for my T/C Omega. I did my first "range work" this am and was not impressed with the results. I won't get into the combinations I tried but was wondering if free floating the barrel helps improve consistency on an inline like it does on a centerfire?

I know it won't hurt to try it so I don't need that advice. I would like to hear from someone who has done it and the results obtained.

As always, thanks for the info.

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Floating the stock may help in your situation but I suspect you have other accuracy issues that need resolution. I had an Omega for a few months and it shot fine just as it came from the factory.

I do float my Encore forearms becasue forearm barrel supports inside the forearm just have to go.

Doc

S
slammer Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Hey Doc:

Any suggestions that would help expedite getting this baby dialed in would be appreciated.

Thanks

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I want 100% contact on my ML barrels and actions, IMHO barrel harmonics voodoo and heat issues just aren't there with a ML....which are the reasons for free floating.

I'd look at the basics first...

-If you are running a scope; scope mounting and scope quality.

-Charge weight consistency

-Charge seating pressure consistency

-Barrel fouling

-Sabot type if using a sabot...I tried "high pressure" sabots one time with a "regular pressure" loads and shot buckshot patterns instead of groups.

-Not all bullets fly worth a [bleep]

-Not all primers are worth a [bleep]

-Not all powders work equally well either

Lots of variables to investigate and fix before I'd bother floating the barrel......

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Doctor_Encore
Floating the stock may help in your situation but I suspect you have other accuracy issues that need resolution. I had an Omega for a few months and it shot fine just as it came from the factory.

I do float my Encore forearms becasue forearm barrel supports inside the forearm just have to go.

Doc

Doc, if you don't mind I would be interested in hearing how you do this? You're talking the plastic forearms only, right? Also, do you do this with centerfires and muzzleloader barrels?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Smokepole,

I have not removed a Omega from its stock so I don't know what inside the barrel channel.

As to the Encore plastic stocks, the rear barrel support protrudes to high. If you place a Encore forend on a barrel it will rock for and aft on the barrel and not lay flat on the barrel as it should. Removing the rear barrel support near the forend rabbit ears solves this.

Windswalker "DOES HAVE" point. I have allways respected his knowledge and comments. Free floating will not make a questionable barrel shoot better.

Save your powder and ball and send the rifle back to T/C. The shipping cost and time waiting the rifles return is far less frustrating than the range time spent with a "SO-SO" barrel.

Doc

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Barrel heat issues ARE there! My traditions Evolution doesnt shoot worth a crap once the barrel heats up. When you go to pick up a rifle and its hard to hold on to, you can get that its not going to shoot worth a chit.

Most people who free float their omegas use plastic washers. If you have the plastic stock omega, why not just look into a laminated stock? I wont ever buy a TC with the plastic stock do to them being so cheap and flexy.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks Doc, I was just wondering how you bedded the plastic. I've never even attempted bedding the plastic forearms, on my Encores I've gone back to walnut and full-length bedded the forearm.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by bigblock455
When you go to pick up a rifle and its hard to hold on to, you can get that its not going to shoot worth a chit.

That's some mighty fast shootin' with a muzzle stuffer there cowboy.........

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
90* weather doesnt help. Nor does the black stock/black barrel. The stock pretty much turns to mush when it heats up ( need to reinforce it!!) That nor get the laminated stock for it.

IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Can't imagine a hunting scenario in NA where rapid repeated fire, in excess of a possible follow up shot, with a ML is required; or one that would shift POI enough to matter inside the sensible range of a ML...due to "heat issues" warping the barrel!?!

Never seen either, myself.........

[Linked Image]
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I can tell you that the opposite also holds true. Many a local ML shooter zeros his gun about this time of year (today it's high of 80 with some decent humidity). Then, come our ML season in December (usually about 20 degrees)...

Yes there are a few other variables that can play into that equation, but some of us opt to limit those as much as possible. That said, my Omega X7 is floated in its laminated stock as are other laminate or composite stocked centerfires I own. All shoot well in any condition. Just my limited experience.

B

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Probably hunted in some cold weather myself, and shot in some warm....despite that, and despite fully bedded barrel channels, still never experienced any shot shifting voodoo with a ML.

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
i only experience it during the hot months of the year. That stock though on the evolution just turns to mush when it gets hot. Hopefully it will be ok Sept 12th!

I have a laminated stocked Omega I bought last year. I bedded the receiver out to the recoil lug and floated the barrel. My gun will shoot 4" groups at 300 yards. It's now my most accurate and fun ML.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I did the cheap and easy bedding fix to float the barrel on my Omega. Took a 2 liter 7up bottle, poured out some 7up until it was level with the top label, then poured in 1/2 a fifth of Yukon Jack. grin

After the 2 liter was empty, I then rinsed it out and cut some small pieces to fit in the bottom cut out area of the stock. Cut out the screw holes with x-acto knife. Took 2 or 3 strips, but that was enough to float the barrel, and it's weatherproof to boot....

Last edited by Kimber7man; 09/07/09.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

91 members (69sportfury, 17CalFan, akpls, AKislander, Akhutr, 11 invisible), 1,584 guests, and 981 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,546
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.