Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I picked up this 1978 Ford F-150 4x4 to play around with. I fell in love with these old truck in highschool, when I had a 79 Bronco.

I later had a 73 and a 76 f-150's and got rid of them before I could make anything of them.

So here is my '78. 351M/4sp 4x4.
[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

heres why a new cabs coming

here are the goodies that showed up yesterday

All stock right now except for the Edelbrock 4v intake and Edelbrock carb. It runs great, I don't expect to add anything but headers since the exhaust is shot.

I'm getting a different cab this weekend if I can get up there to get it. The condition of the box seems to be fixable, but if I can find a good one, I'll get it. That topper is in great shape, even the screens are still intact. Don't know if I'll sell that or keep it.

Got a 2" lift for the front, new shocks, and a urethane bushing kit for the suspension.

Next up is the steering, rear springs, breaks all around, ect.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Love it tzone.You got a good truck there.Glad to see the suspension is getting beefed up.Think we talked about springs in another thread?

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by 7 STW
Love it tzone.You got a good truck there.Glad to see the suspension is getting beefed up.Think we talked about springs in another thread?

Yep we did. I'm guessing these are 3/4 ton or 1 ton springs, they are serious heavy duty. Much bigger (dia) coils than the stock ones, not just longer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They sure look beefy.Energy Suspensions make excellent products.Read the yellow box up top.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Suposed to be one of the good ones.

Not sure about the shocks, they are Superlift. Don't know if they make their own, or somebody else does. They too are made in USA.

I have a Tundra, but it is nice to keep the old Ford USA wherever possible.

I think Energy makes the rear springs I'm getting too.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice... the rust springs shocks looks so familiar..

Those are good trucks I had one we called witch doctor because I put and old straw broom sticking out the bed rails for sweeping it.

There is a cab sitting along the highway to westcliffe out here..

Where is that wascally Wapiti?
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by BroncoLope
Nice... the rust springs shocks looks so familiar..

I bet. smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
OH MY! You're going to replace a cab?! That's alotta work! I cringe at that much work, but at my age, I am well past doing that type of restoration anymore. And where are you to have that much rust? I have a stock 1960 GMC 4x4 that was an original CA truck (now in AZ) and it has zero rust on it, if you can believe that! All original and no rust! I think I'm gonna sell it though, as I really don't need it.

ken@the river
GO DUCKS!
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Truck is from Northern WI and MN. Lots of salt on the roads there. the floors are completly shot. That shot of the floor is only the part I could get a pic of, carpet covered the rest of the bad stuff.

The new cab will probably be easier.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just use fiberglass and spray foam... like the guy I bought the my bronco from

Where is that wascally Wapiti?
IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
oh don't get me started on that crap grin

I'm a body/paint man. i've seen it all.

you can date the work by the period correct bubba-job.

window screen was pre spray foam.

rags were pre window screen erra.

grin

Something clever here.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
That won't happen. smile

My pa's the body man in the family, but hates fixing rust, so I got a cab off a F350 tow truck, with suposedly good floors. It was free, so I'm not complaining. It can't be worse than this one.

There are tons of parts for these truck available, so if I have to replace the floor, so be it. On the original truck, there ain't much to weld the new floor to, hench the problem.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Got new goodies this weekend. FREE!

Got a cab and front clip, core supprot, upper trim pieces, good interior, did I mentioin Free! It cost me $30 in gas to go get the stuff.

Here is the cab:

Much better floor: [img:center][Linked Image][/img]

two easily fixable holes, but I busted the back window putting it on the trailer. The cab I'm switching with has a good rear window, and windshied.

I bought a '75 grill and inserts. I'll pick those up this weekend if scheduling works out, so more to come.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
well i'm, a chevy man but those ford's from the late 70's are good trucks

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Looks like a nice project! wink

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Oh it's a project alright. smile

I picked up a grille and inserts for it on Saturday night. They are from a 75. I like the split grille of the 73-77 better.

It looks like a project but it is a FORD. The only way to go.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by tzone

All stock right now except for the Edelbrock 4v intake and Edelbrock carb. It runs great, I don't expect to add anything but headers since the exhaust is shot.

tzone- mine has the same engine, Weiand intake and Edelbrock carb. Always a fan of Isky cams, that's how my '78 rolls.
As far as exhaust goes, I have a Hooker Competition setup that comes complete for these trucks from header to tailpipe. I don't know if they still make the kit, but it's worth checking out since it's complete, inexpensive, and an easy bolt-in. the pipes tuck up and run together above the t-case crossover; a clean install and out of the way for offroad. Good luck on your project. Your boy is gonna love it when you get it done.
Jim

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
thanks jim.

The boy already loves it, but he has a while until he get to drive it....he's 4. grin

The thing runs like a top, and I have no plans for a rebuild on the motor. If I need to do that, I have another 351M I'd throw in there, or I have a 390 that I'd stick in there.

I'm getting Headman headers, and we have a friend with a custom exhaust shop. He'll do that part.

Not looking to make a show truck, but I do want a nice reliable truck that I can take to the lake or the camp with confidence.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Tom, I drove my 77 in to work this morning.

thinking about tearing into it again, giving another short run towards the finish line ya know?

Something clever here.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Those trucks are made for days like this.

I think you should Dave. It's a nice truck already, you'd have her top notch pretty quick I bet.

Brownine is a great truck. If your looking for another M, c6, or massive heavy duty t-case, I can get you some.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
That metallic brown that Ford has now, would look sharp on Browine, Dave. Even with the two tone like it is now.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Yeah I would maybe go original colors on it. I like the root beer metalic brown. if anything I would maybe change the solid color (creamish tan) to something else... maybe a more modern OEM gold that goes with the brown metalic.

Something clever here.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
that would look sharp with the gold. It would look 70's that's for sure.

My '55 is 1977 Ford Brown Metallic. Probably the same as the dark brown on 'Brownie I'd guess.

I was thinking of doing the '78 that color, but I donno. I was kinda hoping for a dark green metallic/tan combo. I'm yanking a tan seat out of an 85, that is in good shape.

You ever "bedliner" a floor? Carpet was my first though, but it is going to be a hunting truck after all.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
well, I like a good heavy molded rubber floor with sound deadening mat, or that foil wrapped bubble wrap insulation under a good jute pad, or both. I like a good insulated floor & I also like running it inside the doors & some sound deadening pad/insulation behind the seat on the back of the cab too.

for us guys up in the great white north anyways.

If i was down south sure I'd probably just go bedliner over the bare metal floor.

But I like that insulation & once you start quiting those old cabs with new side window felt, rubber weatherstripping etc.... well that quiet is nice & it's addicting, you want more quiet. grin

Something clever here.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Yeah, I forgot about the back of the cab. It is nice to "listen" to the quiet. grin

That insulated foil with the rubber floor sounds like the way to go.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
that's what I did on that 78 I fixed up years ago.

it's also what i plan on doing with my 77

Something clever here.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Do you put anything over it, when it's on the back of the cab? Mine is bare steel.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I just went as high as my seat back on my 78 so you couldn't see it unless you flipped the seat back forward.

Something clever here.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Keep in mind- whatever you use for insulation can't hold moisture- it needs to be water repellent=. It it's not, it'll play hell on your truck metal, especially when exposed to salt on the outside and moisture on the inside. I'm aleady facing redoing cab corners again on the '78. BTW, mine is painted with dark metallic grey- it was an F150 color in the late 1980's.
McMaster-Carr for all your needs....
Jim

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I just spent 4 hours in the shop pulling power steering pump, alternator, fant etc out of the way so i could pull the water pump on my 352M since I suspected the fins were rottet off or something (i've been chasing heating & cooling gremlins)

pump was fine, waste of time (except now I know.)

I flushed the heater core while I was at it but it seemed clean... dang.

Something clever here.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by levrluvr
BTW, mine is painted with dark metallic grey- it was an F150 color in the late 1980's.
McMaster-Carr for all your needs....
Jim

I had an 85 f150 with that color. Nice. I have about a million colors running through my head on this one, but I keep coming back to dark metallic green/tan combo.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
What's the deal?

When I fired mine up the day before I came up to chickenbuck, I couldn't get it to blow heat either. It had good coolant, the hoses were warm, the "in" hose into the heater was warm, but the return hose was not...crazy I didn't know what it was, and I didn't have time to figure it out, so it's one more thing added to the list.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Thermostat.

The 335 series engines (ours) used a recirc design for the coolant system.

If you take the thermostat out of your engine & look down in there you will see the recirc port right under the thermostat.

You need a special thermostat.

The thermostat needs to do 2 things instead of just one thing.

Instead of just opening to let coolent up the neck to the radiator the stat also needs to block off the recirc port.

You need Motorcraft RT139 thermostat or i've heard robertshaw 333-192 works well also.

But if you just go to an auto parts store & tell them you need a stat, they are going to give you the wrong one, likely for a windsor engine.

I ordered the Motorcraft RT139

I'll let you know if it fixes my problems.

Something clever here.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
good info on the t-stat- mine has never heated for crap. The radiator, water pump, hoses, t-stat, all replaced when I went through the truck the last time. I don't have a clutch on the fan- probably ought to get one of those too....

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Good to know. I'm willing to bet it has a Windsor stat in it. He didn't drive it much after it was rebuilt. That is where I'll start.

Thanks man.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
have a look at this link, it does a good job of explaining why you need the right stat.

http://www.are.com.au/feat/techt/thermostat.htm

that bipass port I believe runs to your pump & shares an inlet to the pump along with your heater core return hose.

So, unless that bipass port is blocked off by the stat your pump aint gonna pull much at all through your heater core.

The link explains it very well.

Something clever here.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by northern_dave
have a look at this link, it does a good job of explaining why you need the right stat.

http://www.are.com.au/feat/techt/thermostat.htm

that bipass port I believe runs to your pump & shares an inlet to the pump along with your heater core return hose.

So, unless that bipass port is blocked off by the stat your pump aint gonna pull much at all through your heater core.

The link explains it very well.

That seems exactly like what was happening. Thanks a bunch!!!

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
dudes, the stat was the missing link.

I put it in today, very nice.

engine temp under control, heat in the cab, it's all good.

Something clever here.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Cool man...I'll have to pick one up then. Thanks man.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
OK Kids....I'm a long way off from paint but I need to start looking at colors. I have a bunch I'm thinking about, but it's going to be a driver for the lake and the camp.

OD Green/Desert Sand was going to be one, but Northern Dave stole my thunder on that. grin

Ford now has a real nice deep green metallic that would look good w/tan.

or to stay with the 70's theme, dark green/w the minty green in the trim.

and light blue w/white in the trim.

For some reason I can't get the light blue/white combo out of my head. But it's a hunting truck. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Chevy Orange laugh

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Naw... I want it to run. grin

Orange/white wouldn't be bad either. I had a 73 that was orange and black and rust. laugh That was a fun truck. It looked like hell and power like crazy. Had a 390/4v/auto. It was full time 4x4 so it was a gas monster.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Ford now has a real nice deep green metallic that would look good w/tan.

that sounds like a nice color combo- I know the green you're talking about, and it's a helluva nice color.
I've had no luck in locating you another short box. They're getting really hard to find.
Jim

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I've had no luck in locating you another short box. They're getting really hard to find.
Jim

You're not kidding. I'm going to fix the one that is on it. My dad who is helping me every step of the way with this thing is the body man. He was convinced we needed one, and now is changing his tune a bit, after he saw how much I tried to find one.

It was painted 12 years ago and isn't horrible, so we're going to go with it.

The better cab has been moved inside and is ready for me to start on it when I get a chance. Be a month or so. I'm going to give it my best shot, and he's going to be around to "correct" me. grin It's been a long, long, time since I did any kind of body work. 10 years at least.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
It's been a long, long, time since I did any kind of body work. 10 years at least.

+1, and I'm staring at having to do cab corners on my '78, again.
I love the truck however, and I'll be buried with it, so I just keep fixing and it keeps running. Kinda like my guns,
"from my cold, dead, hands". It got a nice coat of wax last night- looks good (from about 50 feet)
I have so much old stuff that I won't part with; my wife says she's going to hire an excavation company to bury me. A big enough hole and she said she won't have to worry about selling it all..... smile

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a shorty 77 I drove for about 10 years, it was one tough truck. 4x4 351M 4 sp with gr low, 4.10 or 4.11 gears, ltd slip. It would pull. Yours is gonna be a good one.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Mine has 3.55 ratio, but with the granny low, it'll pull what I need it to. They guy I bought it from claimed 14-15 mpg. I can eaisly live with that. I've never had an old truck get milage like that, so I'd welcome it.

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That was one thing about that truck, the mileage sucked big time. Mine didn't get anything near that. But then my gearing, wheels and tires were different.

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I ordered that thing new from the factory. That was back when I thought a truck was supposed to be a "TRUCK". It had very few options and no creature comforts. No AC, no radio, it did have PS and PB, ltd slip, the engine was an option, and the gearing. Basic truck. Oh and the mirrors the outside swing in mirrors were an option, and believe it or not the bumper. Back then they didn't come with a bumper. Times have changed. The nice thing about that truck, back then most every 4wd had a solid front axle and leaf springs, ford the year before went to those coil springs which had too much play or give, mushy in the woods. It also sat low in the front, kinda like it was always headed down hill, I replaced the front shocks with some rear shocks that had coil springs around them, gave about an inch or so of lift and fixed the mushy front end.

Good luck.

Oh, and the 77's did look the best. wink

Last edited by AJD; 05/21/10.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The one on the bottom...

[Linked Image]

Me

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Well with the 4.10's that'll kill the mileage right there. This truck had 33x12.50's on it, but he kept them. I'm going to run 33x9.50's or 33x10.50's.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by AJD

Good luck.

Oh, and the 77's did look the best. wink

Well, when it's done, it'll look like a 77 because that is the grill that's going in it. That is the only difference on the looks. The 78-79's had a much nice front suspension.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by teal
The one on the bottom...

[Linked Image]

I had a 1979 bronco with that EXACT paint/decal scheme. I just showed to my wife and she said "O God, that's your bronco".

I'm putting those wheels on the 78 too.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd kill for a new truck with the highbeam switch on the floor. Pard had one in his "uncle Jesse" truck - wired to his ignition. Hop in, hit the high beams and that thing would fire over.

Me

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I liked the round headlight in the sq boxes IIRC. As I recall that was the only difference. That and the front bars in the grill? Also IIRC my side marker and parking lights were a placed a little differently. Maybe I'm thinking about the 76, seems like it and the 77 were clones except for the color of the parking/blinkers and the headlight shape. I can't remember for sure.

Last edited by AJD; 05/23/10.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Round head lights in the square was a 78. That's what I have now. Some 78's had the square lights, like a 79. I like the 73-77 grills. 73-75 had a slightly different grill insert(s) than the 76-77's did. The blinker lights were different too.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
My '78 has the squares- I have a complete set of round lights, pans, and trim for it as well but prefer the looks of the front end with the square headlights. My grill is black rather than argent as well- the bumper is chrome (need to be rechromed), and I'm considering going black with that as well. The outside mirrors were chrome and I replaced them with aftermarket flat blacks. In my effort to de-chrome the truck, the only thing I haven't addressed yet is the front end aluminum trim that surrounds the grill, headlight trims, etc. I'm considering leaving that as-is.
I think the dark grey metallic on the truck (late '80's Ford truck color) looks good with things blacked-out rather than a bunch of glaring chrome. I have a removable roof-mount light bar that is black as well, and all the KC's are black too. Quick disco harness to take it on and off, I don't use it but for hunting and off-roading. I have dual alternator- dual battery setup that I made up but haven't installed yet- the lights and winch are pretty tough on a single alternator/battery setup.
I love tinkering with this thing.....been at it now for 26 years. Horrible gas mileage, but it's far from stock. It actually got slightly better fuel mileage when I had a 460 in it for a while (if you could keep your foot out of it),

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I like yours with the chrome bumper, but I like the blacked out too. I also like the trim, around the grill polished. It isn't too gaudy. But you start adding chrom step tubes, chrome roll bar, chrome fuel caps etc... you get the point. I like it to a point.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet with mine. I really like the looks of the winch bumpers, but really don't have a need for a winch.

I was thinking black winch type bumper for the front, black for the back. Mine will be an all purpose hunting/fishing truck, so I don't have much use for the chrome anything at this point. I may get the "race track" trim for it, but it's crazy expensive, and tough to find for a short box.

When I do another one of these trucks, it's going to be a standard box. MUCH easier to find parts for.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by teal
The one on the bottom...

[Linked Image]

I really miss the iron from the 70's.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I miss the price of the iron in the 70's.

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep, I bought mine new ordered from the factory for somewhere in the neighborhood of $4500.00. Them days are long gone.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
took a nice ride up to the Janesville, WI area today in my old F150 to pick up an old-but-nice Onan-powered Sears SS16 garden tractor (they're a hobby of mine). It was kind of a cooler day with pockets of rain, but had the windows open just listening to that old M running through its Hooker setup. It's amazing how many thumbs-up you get out on the interstate from the 18-wheelers and newer pickup drivers- I think they remember the ones they used to own.
They are now a very rare sight up here in the north, and I'm glad I've resisted all urges and offers to get rid of mine....

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Yer giving me the itch...

When I get back from vacation in July, I'm going to start cranking on mine. Start cleaning the "better" cab, pull the seats, and all the other goodies. Pull the "junk" cab off. Pull the front clip off and put in the new front suspension and bushings.

I don't know if I'll have the cash to get back together for hunting season or not, hope to get it in primer anyway, but that's pretty ambitious I think.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Mine will get new cab floors soon but that might be all it gets this year, we'll see. (the new floors are sitting in a box out in the shop)

Something clever here.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I don't remember the floors being too bad in yours. You should paint that the same colors, so I can still have OD. grin I'm still stuck on light blue/white for some reason.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
what floors? we call it the flintstones truck because you can stick your feet down through the floors!! lol!!

Something clever here.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
what floors? we call it the flintstones truck because you can stick your feet down through the floors!! lol!!

been there- when my speedo wasn't working, you could kinda get an idea of how fast you were going by looking down at the pavement through the holes in the floor...
I didn't replace the floors- I change the cab with an Arizona rust free- in the long run I think I came out ahead.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Hmmmm. it sounds like it may be an issue. grin The other cab I got had OK floors. It has a hole where the driver would put his left foot. Probably from the salt and road gunk. Much much easier to fix.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
do you guys know of any good forums for the late 1970's Ford pickups? Also any suppliers that are similar to Year One? It's time to get some work done on my 78 again. If Dave were closer, I'd just trailer it up to him and let him do the body, especially after seeing his work on the Mustang. Also a damn good excuse to go to the Lake of the Woods- something I've wanted to do my entire life....
Jim

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Check out LMC trucks

www.lmctruck.com

for your tin & seals like body panels & weatherstriping. For electrical & mechanical use rockauto.com

as far as a forum check these guys out.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php

Something clever here.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
thanks Dave!! exactly what I was looking for!

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
do you guys know of any good forums for the late 1970's Ford pickups? Also any suppliers that are similar to Year One?

Jeff's Bronco Graveyard. I bought everything through them so far. Real good stuff. All made in the USA. LMC couldn't tell me where their parts came from other than "all over." You'll like it. It's trucks and Bronco's. Good info.

Also a damn good excuse to go to the Lake of the Woods- something I've wanted to do my entire life....

Pick me up, I'll buy the bait.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Got the floor boards coming soon. Ordered them today from LMC Truck. They were pretty competetive on price too.

Plan was to change cabs on the truck, but cab #2 was not as good as we though once all the grease was cleande off the bottom, and had a dent in nasty spot to fix on the roof. Without digging too deep, the floor is the worst spot on the original cab. That will save time really, since I won't have to switch all the stuff over to the new cab too.

Pics to follow when I get them.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Smart move, that cab swapping aint all it's cracked up to be.

Something clever here.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
The more I looked at that other cab, the more I saw all the work that I had to do. I'll pull the decent stuff off and scrap her.

So far on the box, it looks like wheel arch's is all I'll have to order. Need to strip it metal to be sure tho.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I received free catalogs from LMC and Bronco Graveyard for the '78 Ford- looks like they have just about everything I need. I ordered up a catalog from LMC for my '88 Suburban and the Excursion as well. Seems like they have pretty good prices and stock. Now if I can just get through all the health issues, I can get some work done.
thanks for the help, guys!
Jim

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
for me LMC has my sheetmetal, weatherstripping etc and jeffs bronco graveyard has my suspension & traction items like lift kits & lockers. Basic engine rebuild parts/kits I'll order from Northernautomitive or roack auto. Performance goodies like cams, headers, intakes, carbs, exhaust from jegs or summit.

Something clever here.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Summit has taken their fair share of my money, especially when I had the go-fast offshore boats. I've always had good luck dealing with them. I've not dealt much with Jegs- they seem to be a repeat of Summit, with like pricing.
I guess I prefer Summit cause I was born a Buckeye, and the drag strip/car show facility at Norwalk, Ohio was renamed and remodeled (it's now quite a showplace) using Summit's name and sponsorship. That place is about 8 miles from my aunt and uncle's farm near Wakeman, Ohio. The Pontiac Nationals are there this weekend; I hope to take my GTO there, if I ever get around to restoring it. I'd be going for a family visit and drool on some Pontiacs if it weren't for this damn kidney stone; surgery next Wednesday.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Jeff's has your suspension needs. Good dudes there. That's where I got my level'r from. Shocks, suspension bushings, and steering stabilizer too.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Just picked up a full set of racetrack trim for a short box. It wasn't the plan from the start, but for $80 I couldn't pass it up. It's nice too. A little polish and it'll shine.

This place was a real 'Ford guy' heaven. 55 Fairlane, 64 fairlane, 29 sedan, 35 Ford pick up, 56 t-bird. Lots of stuff sitting around. One to keep in the memory bank.

Place was 5 miles from where I lived for 12 years and didn't know it. Probably good or I'd be a lot poorer.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have decided to take mine out of action for a while and work on it this winter- I'm going to do a complete chrome delete (most is gone already). The new grill surround is going semi-gloss black, the grill itself the mineral gray color on the truck, and the front bumper black as well (same with the rear). Any other bright-work pieces left are going into the bead-blast cabinet for roughing up and painting as well. I thought about going with a winch bumper for the front, but I'm sticking with the front Class IV hitch route so the Ramsey can be used front or rear as required.
This truck has sucked up some money in the 26 years I've owned it, but refurbishing still beats the cost of a new one. I found a reputable body man to help me with the cab corners and wheel arches- not only do I not have the equipment, but I haven't the patience. Every time I've tried body work, I've proven just how much I suck at it.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Mine is trim delete. I wanted the upper trim. This stuff has perfect uppers. I got the whole set for $80 bucks. That's a friggin steal IMO.

I'm not decided if I want to use the 'racetrack' part of it or not. I want a 2 tone color scheme so I'm leaning in that direction. Dang truck is starting to take a life of it's own now. I was trying to stay under $2K price wise, including the truck, but I'll pass that up pretty quick here....dang it! grin

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Anyone know where I can get the nuts and retainers for the grill inserts?

LMC has them for the 78/79 but I'm using a 76 grill.

Same for the parking lights. LMC has the 'euro' lights, but I'm looking for the stock ones.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I had a new 1978 F150 for 11 years. 400 cid, automatic, limited slip, and iirc 4.11 gears. Best drivetrain under the sun. Pulled the best pulling Chevy in town backwards out of the chevy garage one time. It was a hoot! Mileage was bad, but back then I didn't care. You see these trucks out west, all fixed up, and flat racks on them for good reason.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
gas mileage doesn't bother me as much as it does most folks either. It's just something that you have to have if you want to drive.

I did pay a whole lot more attention what I drove though when gas was $4+ a gallon a few years ago.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Well, I was looking for a name for the truck... Ma didn't like Beaver Retriever so I'm going with 'Busted Knuckle' or 'Franken-truck'.

I got the floors in today and when I get the pics up tomorrow, you'll see why. grin

Both names fit.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Better get your truck quickly Tom so you can help Dave out!

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
With all the help he's given me, I owe him some.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
"Project Franken-Truck"

Jumping the battery
[img:][Linked Image]

Before the surgery

Seat and carpet out, and 3 mouse houses.

[img:][Linked Image][/img]

My helper

[img:[Linked Image]

Rust cut out on the drives side floor.

New floor pans tacked in place, trying to fit new transmission tunnel. It doesn't look like it, but the tunnel was kind of a tricky bugger. Not much room for error or adjustment on that.

that was about all fun I could handle for day one.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Today was short. I got the rest of the seams welded on the pans and had to try to get the bed sides where they're supposed to be.

Patch before grinding. Cut me some slack on the welds...it's the second day i've ever welded anything. smile

Other side, much better, but still needed help.

Different (better) tailgate, gaps are the same on both sides, and it closes. smile

Last edited by tzone; 08/19/10.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Gonna start playing with this again this weekend.

New front clip and maybe finish the trans. cowell if there's time.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Go man go.

Something clever here.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I have to work on Saturday morning but I'm headed up after that. It is supposed to be cold and rainy, so it will be a good weekend to be in the shop.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I ache all over....back hurts, front hurts, my scalp is burnt from crappy, rusty, molten hot magma blowing off rusted, grimey, stubborn bolts and landing onto my head.

Me and my mini helper started at 9am today and quit at 4pm. I am using my dad's shop, but asked him to stay away unless I asked so I can learn this stuff. That worked out well for him because he has a new shoulder and re-attached bicep and couldn't help if I wanted him to...

I should have taken some at the start but here it is after the hood, bull bar, bumper, marker lights, head lights, and blinkers are off
[Linked Image]

other side
[Linked Image]

Fenders, grille shroud, grille and hood hinges off...the hinges were bad from a little incident on the day I bought it. whistle
[Linked Image]

Drivers side.
[Linked Image]

If anyone is thinking of adding running boards to your rig, don't use the type that the orginal owner put on here. The amount of pine needles, twigs, mud, and other debris I pulled out once I torched the bolts was jaw dropping. I blame those running board for the reason the front half of this truck is getting new steel. They held crap under them all the way back to the cab corners.

Finnaly, this is as far as I got today. New hinges for the hood, different hood latch/lock mechinism, and differnt hood.

[Linked Image]

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I lied...Pa did help me with the hood. He stuck the bolts in while held that heavy SOB up.

He had a helper of his own today and they installed a factory Ford tri-power on his Merc. FE 390.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

He also sold the 72 Ranchero today. You can see it in the background of some of my pictures.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Nice work Tom, I really dig the FE with the 3 carbs.

Something clever here.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I like it too. That car sounds tough when it's fired up.

Dad and his buddy, did a lot in a short time. I was surprised at how quick the got the carbos/linkage working together.

That is a factory Ford set up. I like that.

I had nothing to do with the Merc this weekend. I like it and thought I'd throw it in here.

Last edited by tzone; 04/17/11.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey T. Thanks for linking this thread in the chickenbuck thread. I didn't know it existed. Cool beans!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
No problom mon.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
updates?

Something clever here.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Probably not for a couple weeks. Cab corners are on the way.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Messed around with the hood latch today. Got the front shocks in, air conditioner off(seized up), rust proofing on frame, fenders, body mounts, inner fenders...lots of odds and ends that will have to be done at some point so today seemed like a good time to do it.

I was going to put the fenders back on today, but since they're off I thought it would be a good time to get the shocks and new suspension bushings on, with it being open.

Got a sweet burn on my forearm the shape of a 3/4" nut from the torching the shocks off. One look at it and there is no question what made that mark. laugh

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
pics or it didn't happen...

grin

Something clever here.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I didn't take any this time. Laziness would be my only excuse since I did have a camera with me. There really isn't much to see that's different other than the shocks.

It might look a little cleaner in the frame area since it was scraped off, blown off, and had rust proofing sprayed on it.

I didn't put in the new front springs or the "C" bushings on the trailing arms. It dang sure looks like they're the same as what I bought for it.

If you want them for any of the dozen of so Ford truck projects you have, let me know.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I think Dave wants to see a picture of yer nuts, uh..I mean yer nut-shaped burn.

Good work on the Ford!

Support your local brewer.
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Could I spose...it's still there. The burn that is. grin

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Starting to make a little progress. Lots of work to do yet, but it's a step in the right direction anyway.

This is how it looked a few short weeks ago.
[Linked Image]

This is from Tuesday.
[Linked Image]

better fender, took the trim and light out, cleaned and rust-proofed the back.
[Linked Image]

and it's starting to resemble a truck again.
[Linked Image]

Also bought a set of wheels and tires today. It's a bit different direction than I was planning but couldn't pass it up.

Dunlop Radial Rovers, 33 x 12.5, on 15x10 black steel "wagon wheel" type rims.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Got after it a bit again on Sunday. Patched a piece on the floor near the passanger door, put on the passanger side fender, aligned the fenders, hood, and doors so they open and close and lines are as straight as I can get them.

Also, finished taking off the unwanted air conditioning pieces. They didn't work anymore and I have no intention of fixing it. Discoverd that I will probably need a different radiator at some point.

The hood was a bastard. It isn't the original and it didn't want to be on that truck. A BFH helped it decied that was the right place to be.

It wouldn't open once the latch caught. after a lot of messing around, I saw the safety latch was bent and was not catching, but going behind the "hole" in the hood where it latches. Once I got that straightened out it worked like it is supposed to.

Took a lesson from northern_dave and made a patch from the orginal hood.

[Linked Image]

Here is the patch. I didn't have access to the welder today, so we riveted it in. I will weld up the edges to get a good seal before the carpet goes back on.
[Linked Image]

Finally got the hood to latch and re-open without cuss words.
[Linked Image]

Passanger side metal on. Lines are as straight as they're going to get on this old truck, but really, not too bad.
[Linked Image]

Other side
[Linked Image]

Cleaned all the junk and dirt from the box and put the truck out in the sun to dry it off.
[Linked Image]

figured what the heck, washed the whole thing. It may be a hodge-podge but it's a clean hodge-podge.
[img]http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr102/tzone777/020-2.jpg[/img]

Next time the wheel arches get the attention.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Lookin good Tom.

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cleaned all the junk and dirt from the box and put the truck out in the sun to dry it off.
[Linked Image]

Pssst...thats...in....the...shade...

grin

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the hood color for the record

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Rooster7

grin [/quote]

that is where I washed it, then parked it in the yard where the sun was shining.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rooster7

grin

that is where I washed it, then parked it in the yard where the sun was shining. [/quote]

Just keepin ya real Tommy!

grin

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I donno what happened to the quotes on those two posts we had Jimmy?

The "blue" color I was thinking about isn't too far off of your truck color if I remember it correctly. It is probably a bit more on the blue than yours.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Lookingood man. Makes me wanna get the toyota project up an runnin again

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Thanks. How's that coming along?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I ran the weedeater around it the other day. grin

Its still on hold. Been lookin around latley and gettin a few ideas though. Kinda leanin away from the SBC or SBF thinkin might scale it down a lil bit. Try an keep it lighter.

That 2.3L Turbo outta the 80's era mustangs would be a blast. Stick some longfield axleshafts in it and rail the piss outta it!

But thats still a ways down the road..

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Messed around on the truck again today. I didn't take any pictures because nothing really changed as far as the way it looks.

There are a few engine goodies that are new. Aluminum radiator, hoses, plugs and wires, water pump, coil. I'll try to get a picture of that stuff next time I guess.

I had my best helper today to help Grandpa and I in the shop. He was a great inspector and found all the areas we still need to fix.

We got the floors on the drivers side finished today.. Next time we go up, it will be a busy week. I'd like to tackle the rest of the floor which is the trans cowel, and a small patch on the pass. side under the seat where the floor pan didn't reach.

If things go right, we should be able to get the box sides on...at least on side. Then, the fun stuff.

I even fired it up and took the little guy around the block a few times, with much dismay from the neighbors I'm sure because there is no exhaust past the manifolds. Quiet it ain't.

grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great looking project Tom! These old trucks sure are fun to work on. Just curious what type of welder are you using? I went with wire fed unit, but I was curious as to what you were using. I remember really hoping I didn't warp things!

Last edited by hamr56; 12/12/11.
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
The welder is an old Miller wire feed unit. It is my dad's and I don't have the model # but I could get it, if you need it.

With coaching from northern_dave and my Pa, I spot welded every few inches 3-4" apart or so, and kept going around until it was secured down well enough to hold. Once we get the floors all patched up, I'll weld (or try at least) a bead around the edges where to connect the spots.

The area where the factory floor pans go is really pretty easy. It gave a false sense of skill. They fit nicely and were easy to tack in place. The pieces I had to make, mostly yesterday didn't like to be tacked. I had to bend and shape them, mostly with a hammer, vice, and tin cutting tools, and didn't have a precise fit. Once they were tacked, and I had to persuade an area into place, they'd pop out. My dad, then decided to use some brass welding rod. That held like no other and could take a pounding. We teamed up, he'd braze them tin in, and I'd cut and shape it. Once we got a system down, it went a lot faster.

I'm kinda chomping at the bit to finish, I need to get that truck out on the road.

It will probably end up getting sold in a year or two because I'd like to build an old gen 1 Bronco.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No need to get the number from the welder, however I appreciate that. I can't wait to see what it looks like when you are done. Are you going to do a solid color, or blue and white like you were thinking?

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
It will be a solid color on the body and a the roof will be white. I'm thinking a burnt orange or something along those lines.

If you can see the hood, it's a orange-ish copper. I'm really starting to like that.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Made good progress this week.

Floors in and rust proofed.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Started in on the drivers side box side. The first pic is pass. side, but it looked about like this, maybe not quite as good. smile

[Linked Image]

Wheel arch tacked on
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Seam welded around the whole replacement panel and welds ground down so the fiberglass can go on.
[Linked Image]

First coat of glass put on by my dad and hand sanded by me. My dad did the the flat work with the DA sander...he got the better end of the deal. smile The supervison decided to try his hand at it too.
[img]http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr102/tzone777/123.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr102/tzone777/Workingonquarterpanel6.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr102/tzone777/Workingonquarterpanel4.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr102/tzone777/Workingonquarterpanel7.jpg[/img]

After two coats of body filler, and many hours of block sanding in 3 directions, straight across, left diagnol, then right diagnol, the primer was put on for now. Not ready for the good primer/sealer, this was put on so it can get parked back outside without rusting the bare metal.

Last edited by tzone; 12/30/11.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Looks great. 3 generations in on it eh? Good stuff man.

MAGA
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Thanks. The little guy wouldn't let me out the door to work on the "monster truck" without taking him along.

Hopefully, he'll pick up some stuff along the way and know so he can do the next one. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Progress is being made! Looks good Tom!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Made good progress this week.

Floors in and rust proofed.

[Linked Image]

I'm not an expert but that looks like really good work.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Thanks Rooster. I'm no expert either. I'm pretty new to this welding stuff and the rust proofing covers a lot of it up. smile

My dad welded on the wheel arches, I wasn't brave or skilled enough to tackle that yet. I'll stick to the floors and other areas that can be covered up with seats and carpet. smile

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Gave 'er another shot this weekend and made some progress.

Started with this.
[Linked Image]

Put on the new wheel arch. My welds are improving. They hold but are not cosmetically very good. I'm open to constructive critism on that. Hell, I encourage it.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Little pieces are tougher than they should be.
[Linked Image]
The rest of the "arch" below this and to the rear of the box is going to be fully replaced on the next session. I don't have the parts on hand yet. It was a lot worse that originally though. I was going to patch it, but once it was tore into, it was pretty obvious that it needed to be competly cut out and replaced.

On and ready for the fiberglass.
[Linked Image]

The glass was put on by my dad, then showed me how to "rake" the high areas. I then was given the tast to as he put it..."sand like a mofo."
[Linked Image]

Sanded and ready for body filler.
[img]http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr102/tzone777/012-3.jpg[/img]

Pa mixing up and laying down the mud.
[img]http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr102/tzone777/014-3.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr102/tzone777/015-4.jpg[/img]

Several coats later...until next time.
[img]http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr102/tzone777/016-2.jpg[/img]

I'll tackle the rusted out area behind the pass. side wheel arch next time. And maybe, just maybe if i'm lucky enough the drives side cab corner. That should be the last of the major metal work that will need to be completed. I'm sure there will be a few spots that pop up when stripping paint off.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lookin Good Tom!

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
she lookin good mon.

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm guessing this wasn't a Texas or Arizona truck. grin

Keep the updates coming, I enjoy the whole process.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Haha...nope. It was a WI truck. smile Mechanically, it's a good truck. One small snafu this weekend but nothing major. The body is/was shot, however. Really, if I looked it over more carefully, I wouldn't have bought it. It was pretty much a POS. I wanted to learn how to work on this stuff and I'm getting a lesson. smile The biggest one is, not to buy one in this kind of shape anymore.

I had $1K in my pocket when I went to look at it. He had an asking price of $1200. I got it for $800. Not counting my time, I have $1425 invested into it. I probably have to spend about $700-1000 more for painting supplies and exhaust.

I plan to drive it for a year or so when it's done and sell it. I'm going to replace it with a truck in better condition that I'll make to my specs, when finished. I plan to keep the next one until my son graduates HS and if he plays his cards right... he can drive it to his grad party because it will be his. smile

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Nice work Tom. There's nothing more satisfying than standing back when a project is done and knowing you did it with your own hands. In this case, (and even better) a family project. Dentsides rule.
Jim

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
You're making good progress, that's good. I like older trucks as much as I like older cars. I'm building a car now. A truck might be make next!

In 2010 we rebuilt the drive train in my '78 Camaro. I had the machine work done on my block and I built a mild small block 385 stroker. I had the TH350 rebuilt by a guy here in town who's about the best around building high performance and heavy duty automatic transmission. Finally I had the rear end completely rebuilt, all new bearings, seals, a new Yukon Duragrip Posi Unit with 3.42 gears. The body and interior work is next.

However, I had back surgery early spring 2011 so I haven't done anything to it since the fall of 2010. It's nice to see other guys doing good things to their projects. Makes me want to work on mine that much more lol.

Good job, NYH1! wink

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Thanks. I also have a 1955 F-100 that will get the same treatment when this one is done. That truck isn't in nearly the crappy shape this one is in, but it does need a refresh.

There is a lot to do. It was restored in 1979. I got the truck in 1995. I (we) pulled the original 239 Y-block and put in a 292 or 312 (never did find out) from a 1957 Ford Ranchero. Now it has a 351W/C-6 from a late 60's mustang.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I have the interior from a 2005 Chevy Avalanch that will get put in it. I'm on the fence as to wheter or not to keep the steering column or get an after market. I'm getting a Lokar shifter for the floor and new carpet. New running boards and re-routing the exhaust out the back through what will be a roll pan instead of a bumper.

Front disc breaks are on deck as well as lowering it a few inches.

Lots to do on that one too. smile

Last edited by tzone; 01/24/12.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You guys have too much winter...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mudhen
You guys have too much winter...

No kidding! I believe if I was faced with a rusty rig like that, I would part it out, then import one from the south-western states that needed no rust repair. Buy hey, that is me. You are a better man in this regard than I! wink

ken@the river
GO DUCKS!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Case in point: my "survivor" 1960 GMC 3/4T 4x4, zero rust, original paint, and 57,000 miles. They're out here in the west! Easy resto's!!
[Linked Image]

ken@the river
GO DUCKS!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If possible on flat surfaces this tool......body punch.......puts a nice recess in the original panel to give a nice flush surface when all is welded up.

[Linked Image]

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I would like one of them. I'm not sure it would have been useful on the wheel arches or not since they fit into the "curved" part above the wheel. It would be handy on the piece behind the wheel though.

What is the actual name of that tool?

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Too much winter...you're not kidding. I like that truck a lot, just like it sits.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by ken458
Case in point: my "survivor" 1960 GMC 3/4T 4x4, zero rust, original paint, and 57,000 miles. They're out here in the west! Easy resto's!!
[Linked Image]

can I have that please?

grin

Something clever here.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Makes me want a trip to AZ next winter.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I would like one of them. I'm not sure it would have been useful on the wheel arches or not since they fit into the "curved" part above the wheel. It would be handy on the piece behind the wheel though.

What is the actual name of that tool?

See here.....

http://www.usaweld.com/MIG-Welding-5-16-Combination-Punch-Flange-p/12005.htm

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I use the pnumatic version of this same tool.

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Dave, do you have the pictures handy of how you put those pieces together after you use your tool?

Do you spot weld it is or seam weld it after it's in the "groove"?

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
It's been quite a while since I threw some pics into here for an update.

It's coming slowly but surly. Lots more rust than I ever want to deal with again...but it's coming. I hope to have it in the woods by October.

repair to the "rear rocker" behind the drive wheel. I don't have any before pictures. Must have been too busy for them. [Linked Image]

full shot [Linked Image]

Drivers side cab corner and door plate.
[Linked Image]

This took a long, long time to fix. 5 hours! I'm sure most of it was it being my first time on my own laying down glass and body filler, but man, it took me all day.
[Linked Image][/img]

Finished as good as it's going to get.
[Linked Image]

Door shuts, I'll take it. grin
[Linked Image]

Other things that have been fixed/added since the last update is plugs/wires, distributor, water pump, thermostat, aluminum radiator, upper and lower hoses, and new belts.

Me and the boy took it wheeling in some mud holes up the street to goof around and she passed with flying colors. They boy smiled from ear to ear. (ssshhhhh, so did his dad)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good job tzone.It's come along way since the last time I seen it.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Dave, do you have the pictures handy of how you put those pieces together after you use your tool?

Do you spot weld it is or seam weld it after it's in the "groove"?

Tack, tack, tack, tack, tack.

Take your time, allow to cool.

Something clever here.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Take your time, allow to cool.

I'm not a patient man, but I've learned your wisdom the hard way.

Signed,

Grasshoppah.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Thanks,

Next time I hope to post pics of sanding old paint, laying some primer/filler.

I'm still not 100% on a color yet, but leaning heavily towards copper. Plus, I found a penny in the door when I pulled the interior panels off.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lookin good T!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Copper would be a good choice of color..Different from the same old same old

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Think the color of the current hood. I'd also like to paint a white roof. Like many of these dent sides had.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Got a lot done on the old Ford truck this weekend. A few more weekends and she'll be ready to hit the woods. I'm hoping for mid-September.

Started off with hitting the roof with the DA to remove the old crappy paint and fill a few tiny dents on Friday afternoon. That was about all I could do for the afternoon.
[Linked Image]

Hit it early Saturday morning, starting with the hood. Stripped the paint from the fenders down to bare metal and again fixed a few dents.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Got her in the shop and masked off with help from my dad.
He shot the roof, hood and fenders with primer/sealer.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr102/tzone777/tomspics085_zps92283d97.jpg[/img]

That was it for Saturday.

Today I got the doors and the rest of the cab sanded and stripped where it had to be. Dad showed me how to shoot it last night, so it was my turn to take a poke at it. Even though it was a bit heavy in some areas, it didn't run.

[img]http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr102/tzone777/tomspics088_zps06ac0ca8.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr102/tzone777/tomspics089_zps1630c316.jpg[/img]

So far...Not bad, but a few weekends to go before she's ready for the road.
[img]http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr102/tzone777/tomspics093_zpsd02e9a58.jpg[/img]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Looking good! Thought about this thread the other day and was wondering how the old girl was coming along.

MAGA
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
She's coming along pretty quick now. There is a light at the end of the tunnel and it isn't a train. smile

The welding type repairs are finished so now it's just pulling and filling dents as I strip paint. There are more than a guy thinks. Throw some primer/sealer on it and they stick out like a sore thumb. I'm hoping to have the box complete by the end of the next session.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
She's lookin real good Tom.

Something clever here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your truck is coming along nicely. Great work!

Eric

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Thank you. I'm going to work on it again in a few weekends. That should wrap it up for the body work before paint.

I have some things like break lines, rear shocks, and a steering stabilizer to install. I have those parts on hand. I do need a fuel pump as well this one is leaking pretty good. That too is a quick simple change. I have all the interior parts including new carpet to install, but again, not all that difficult to do.

I'm thinking 3 more good work weekends and it will be done. I'm hoping mid September it will be rolling down back roads with the pipes rapping.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
looks good Tom, wish i had a rig or time to do that too. keep it up. hope to see in our woods soon

It is a silly fish that is caught twice with the same bait!
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'm planning on being up there soon buschy. Hoping to have the truck there later this fall.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looking very good! I can't wait to see you out driving this one.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Finally decided on a paint color. It's a 1977 factory ford color. Think the color of the hood a few pics up. It's a metallic
PPG paint base/clear. The paint is here so there's no turning back now. laugh

I'm really getting pretty excited about it now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks good. Didn't someone here once post pics of their original Bronc redo, in copper? Matched set. ;O)

Always liked the looks of the late 70s Fords.

One of my farmer uncles had a new '77 F150. It was his first 4x4. Somehow he'd made it into his 60s on the farm, without ever have owned a 4x4 pickup. His son bought a new F250 the following year, also 4x4.

The '77 lasted well into the mid 90s, although the original box had rusted off'n it by then. That thing was like a tank when in granny gear.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice work dude, dents are like scars, chicks dig 'em
Love them Fords My next project is gonna be a 67-72 bump side F250 with a 5.9 cummings, or a bobbed bump side with 3.9 (4BT) as a toy.

If I do the F-250 with the 5.9 it will end up my daily driver and I can ditch the Chevy. The Chevy's been a good truck but I have no attachment to it.

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Those old fords with a 5.9.... I can't think of a more bullet proof truck really.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by dubePA

That thing was like a tank when in granny gear.

Yeah that granny low is a monster. You can crawl right along without touching the throttle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of the dairy farmers near my hunting camp, has had an 80s F250 since it was new, now a farm truck (and looks it, too).

Some years ago they were contemplatin' going up the west side of some mountainous ground and putting on a deer drive, but no one volunteered to haul 'em up there.

Since I'd already filled my buck tag, I offered to chauffer them up top and we did it in that fugly F250. Washed out, rutted, steep "dug road" going up through those woods. None were too happy with the trip up in there, but they all survived it (rolling around in the bed like bowling balls). So did the truck.

Granny gear, transfer case in FWD low. Took all of a half hour to get them where they wanted to be, took me longer than that to get back down outta there again. When they'd finished that drive and reassembled, the truck's owner fussed about me putting another dent in his truck.

Someone else said HTH could ya tell? ;O)

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by dubePA

That thing was like a tank when in granny gear.

Yeah that granny low is a monster. You can crawl right along without touching the throttle.

T, in the 77 F250 I gave to Nate, 3rd gear on the forest trails around camp, no peddle. It's like cruise control for grouse scouting in the fall, hilarious how that thing will chug down as low as 300 RPM and still power the truck down the trail. lol.

Something clever here.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Funny enough that you say that. I goofed last week when putting it away and instead of second, I put in 4th. It took off but was real sluggish. Since the fuel pump leaks gas, I only put a little in at a time so I thought I was out of gas. I pushed the clutch to stop and realized it was a few gears too tall. grin

That old sucker has enough torque to move in 4th gear if a guy put his mind to it. grin

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
The old ford 78 ford truck is getting closer to running logging roads....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm half tempted to put the interior in, trim on, and run it as-is.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N

Stranger things have happened.

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks like what it is. Clear coat it and go logging.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Stranger things have happened.

clear coat it first, I hate nasty primer messes

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
matte clear.

Something clever here.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
If I'm going to spend the time to clear coat it, I'm going to paint it.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
yep

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If I'm going to spend the time to clear coat it, I'm going to paint it.

Some day I'm going to apply rhino bed liner to the outside of a truck with a roller. I think that would be the ultimate hunting truck "paint job". Exterior latex house paint works well also! Did a friends 77 Blazer in a latex camo job, it lasted for years and stuck well even to chrome plating.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I was behind a guy today that had undercoated the tailgate on his 80's blazer. Back when I had a Jeep, I was seriously thinking about undercoating the whole thing.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'm going to "paint" the bumpers with bedliner.

Yesterday I put in new wheel cylinders on the rear drums, new break lines for pretty much the whole truck. There were a few places I didn't have to. And replaced some cracked fuel line.

It's starting to wear on me a bit....I'm ready to just drive it. Too close now to the end to quit on it, but man I'm ready for it to be finished!

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
It's been awhile since I've posted or even worked on this truck. Finally did some work on it last weekend. Painted the roof so I could get the running lights on it, sprayed the door jambs, and put most of the interior back in it.

My dad did the painting. I primed most of it but I'm not confident enough to spray the permanent stuff. The color is Desert Tan. It's the color of the military vehicles. The paint is from PPG, and is a single stage. It's not even thinned with reducer. You can add a bit of hardner if you like, but it's also not needed. My pops said the paint laid really nice and it dried REALLY fast. The next coat was ready to be laid in 15 minutes per the instructions.

Here are a few pics.

Probably my least favorite part of this project, the masking of parts I don't want it painted.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Putting in the carpet wasn't as easy as I thought it should be. grin I goofed too, I have to pull the front half of the carpet back and put the shifter and trans case boots in correctly.
[Linked Image]

Here is a shot with some color. It's actually Desert Tan, but for some reason, it looks yellow in these pics.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You can see the paint a bit better here. The running lights even work. grin
[img]http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr102/tzone777/IMG_0168_zpsd2ec10c7.jpg[/img]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Not a ford guy but I remember when those were new and always liked that mid 70s ford style. Keep us posted I love old trucks..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like the color when time and money alow I have always wanted to build your truck but with 60's front and rear a a 4BT cummins.

Last edited by WyoCowboy; 03/28/14.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (007FJ, 21, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 70 invisible), 2,572 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,088
Posts18,482,895
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.