Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Just picked up a full set of racetrack trim for a short box. It wasn't the plan from the start, but for $80 I couldn't pass it up. It's nice too. A little polish and it'll shine.

This place was a real 'Ford guy' heaven. 55 Fairlane, 64 fairlane, 29 sedan, 35 Ford pick up, 56 t-bird. Lots of stuff sitting around. One to keep in the memory bank.

Place was 5 miles from where I lived for 12 years and didn't know it. Probably good or I'd be a lot poorer.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have decided to take mine out of action for a while and work on it this winter- I'm going to do a complete chrome delete (most is gone already). The new grill surround is going semi-gloss black, the grill itself the mineral gray color on the truck, and the front bumper black as well (same with the rear). Any other bright-work pieces left are going into the bead-blast cabinet for roughing up and painting as well. I thought about going with a winch bumper for the front, but I'm sticking with the front Class IV hitch route so the Ramsey can be used front or rear as required.
This truck has sucked up some money in the 26 years I've owned it, but refurbishing still beats the cost of a new one. I found a reputable body man to help me with the cab corners and wheel arches- not only do I not have the equipment, but I haven't the patience. Every time I've tried body work, I've proven just how much I suck at it.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Mine is trim delete. I wanted the upper trim. This stuff has perfect uppers. I got the whole set for $80 bucks. That's a friggin steal IMO.

I'm not decided if I want to use the 'racetrack' part of it or not. I want a 2 tone color scheme so I'm leaning in that direction. Dang truck is starting to take a life of it's own now. I was trying to stay under $2K price wise, including the truck, but I'll pass that up pretty quick here....dang it! grin

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Anyone know where I can get the nuts and retainers for the grill inserts?

LMC has them for the 78/79 but I'm using a 76 grill.

Same for the parking lights. LMC has the 'euro' lights, but I'm looking for the stock ones.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I had a new 1978 F150 for 11 years. 400 cid, automatic, limited slip, and iirc 4.11 gears. Best drivetrain under the sun. Pulled the best pulling Chevy in town backwards out of the chevy garage one time. It was a hoot! Mileage was bad, but back then I didn't care. You see these trucks out west, all fixed up, and flat racks on them for good reason.

IC B2

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
gas mileage doesn't bother me as much as it does most folks either. It's just something that you have to have if you want to drive.

I did pay a whole lot more attention what I drove though when gas was $4+ a gallon a few years ago.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Well, I was looking for a name for the truck... Ma didn't like Beaver Retriever so I'm going with 'Busted Knuckle' or 'Franken-truck'.

I got the floors in today and when I get the pics up tomorrow, you'll see why. grin

Both names fit.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Better get your truck quickly Tom so you can help Dave out!

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
With all the help he's given me, I owe him some.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
"Project Franken-Truck"

Jumping the battery
[img:][Linked Image]

Before the surgery

Seat and carpet out, and 3 mouse houses.

[img:][Linked Image][/img]

My helper

[img:[Linked Image]

Rust cut out on the drives side floor.

New floor pans tacked in place, trying to fit new transmission tunnel. It doesn't look like it, but the tunnel was kind of a tricky bugger. Not much room for error or adjustment on that.

that was about all fun I could handle for day one.

IC B3

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Today was short. I got the rest of the seams welded on the pans and had to try to get the bed sides where they're supposed to be.

Patch before grinding. Cut me some slack on the welds...it's the second day i've ever welded anything. smile

Other side, much better, but still needed help.

Different (better) tailgate, gaps are the same on both sides, and it closes. smile

Last edited by tzone; 08/19/10.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Gonna start playing with this again this weekend.

New front clip and maybe finish the trans. cowell if there's time.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Go man go.

Something clever here.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I have to work on Saturday morning but I'm headed up after that. It is supposed to be cold and rainy, so it will be a good weekend to be in the shop.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I ache all over....back hurts, front hurts, my scalp is burnt from crappy, rusty, molten hot magma blowing off rusted, grimey, stubborn bolts and landing onto my head.

Me and my mini helper started at 9am today and quit at 4pm. I am using my dad's shop, but asked him to stay away unless I asked so I can learn this stuff. That worked out well for him because he has a new shoulder and re-attached bicep and couldn't help if I wanted him to...

I should have taken some at the start but here it is after the hood, bull bar, bumper, marker lights, head lights, and blinkers are off
[Linked Image]

other side
[Linked Image]

Fenders, grille shroud, grille and hood hinges off...the hinges were bad from a little incident on the day I bought it. whistle
[Linked Image]

Drivers side.
[Linked Image]

If anyone is thinking of adding running boards to your rig, don't use the type that the orginal owner put on here. The amount of pine needles, twigs, mud, and other debris I pulled out once I torched the bolts was jaw dropping. I blame those running board for the reason the front half of this truck is getting new steel. They held crap under them all the way back to the cab corners.

Finnaly, this is as far as I got today. New hinges for the hood, different hood latch/lock mechinism, and differnt hood.

[Linked Image]

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I lied...Pa did help me with the hood. He stuck the bolts in while held that heavy SOB up.

He had a helper of his own today and they installed a factory Ford tri-power on his Merc. FE 390.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

He also sold the 72 Ranchero today. You can see it in the background of some of my pictures.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Nice work Tom, I really dig the FE with the 3 carbs.

Something clever here.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I like it too. That car sounds tough when it's fired up.

Dad and his buddy, did a lot in a short time. I was surprised at how quick the got the carbos/linkage working together.

That is a factory Ford set up. I like that.

I had nothing to do with the Merc this weekend. I like it and thought I'd throw it in here.

Last edited by tzone; 04/17/11.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Hey T. Thanks for linking this thread in the chickenbuck thread. I didn't know it existed. Cool beans!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
No problom mon.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 68 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,467
Posts18,529,267
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.