Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
175rltw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
is this just a 300 WSM necked up to 338 or what? If its not that then does Anybody have any idea of the case capacity? Thanks

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The redneck title threw me a little bit. Because of that, it could be that it is not short, not a magnum, or even a .338 for that matter. It could be just a rednecked up 325WSM, but I do not know.

This is God's universe, and he has a plan. You might think that you have aa better plan, but you don't have a universe.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are you referring to the .338 Ruger Compact Magnum? If so, the information is relatively easy to find on the Hornady website. The case is a shortened .375 Ruger necked down to .338. The case diameter full-length from base to shoulder is the same as a belt on a H&H-based case, so it feeds in about anything and much better than the fatter WSM's. Case capacity is slightly more than a .338-06, but it fits a short action rifle.

Here's a pic of mine...

[Linked Image]

A good working load...

[Linked Image]

Another one...

[Linked Image]

Something I killed with it early this year...

[Linked Image]

Hopefully this helps...

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
175rltw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
No, I saw a Tikka rebarreled to this on gunbroker, and I think its based on the WSM, but I'm not sure, at any rate, If it is based on the WSM then I'm not too interested due to the case capacity, I have a 338 win and a 338 federal already. Just curious if anyone had messed around with it, thanks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OK...never heard of it...not interested in it. I wouldn't have a WSM either. RCM's work really well, though. I also have a .338 Federal, and boughtmy .338 RCM in large part to have something enough more powerful to make it worth having. But since I also don't like belted mags, I had to wait a while... grin.

Dennis

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

IC B2

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Can you elaborate on the difference in recoil between the 338 Fed and 338 RCM? I have a 338-06 and love the round, but want to build/get a much lighter rifle for the mtns. Considering a 338 Fed or RCM.

Last edited by prm; 09/09/09.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The same bullets run 300 to 400 fps facter from the RCM than from the Federal. The .338 RCM is almost exactly the same as the .338-06, though Hornady tried to claim it is equal or superior to a .338 Win Mag. It's not, but then it doesn't need to be either, because it's plenty adequate for shooting anything in North America and nearly anything anywhere.

Dennis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dennis I'm curious, why won't you go there with a WSM and yet you'll go there with an even shorter short mag case?

Thx

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Regarding the Fed vs. RCM velocities, is that published or actual chrono, and if chrono, factory ammo or handload? Appreciate it.

175rltw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yeah, hows the 338 RCM as a handload, with 225 grainers, screw those "proprietary powders" The 338 campfire is probably my next 33 just to have a bit of a hotrod. I had a 338 RUM and it was good, but those cartridges are HUGE. I guess I need any of these like a whole in the head, but- well you know- how do you say no?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Dennis I'm curious, why won't you go there with a WSM and yet you'll go there with an even shorter short mag case?

Thx

Dober

RCM is the same length as a WSM, but is enough smaller diameter (same as the belt on a belted magnum) that they feed better. Or so I am told. It may just be that I like them better grin.

Dennis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prm
Regarding the Fed vs. RCM velocities, is that published or actual chrono, and if chrono, factory ammo or handload? Appreciate it.

It's my personal chronograph data, based on my handloading. I fired some factory ammo in my .338 Fed, but my handloads are slightly faster. I've never fired any factory .338 RCM, because I hate plastic-pointed ammo. That too is just a personal factor... grin.

Dennis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 175rltw
Yeah, hows the 338 RCM as a handload, with 225 grainers, screw those "proprietary powders" The 338 campfire is probably my next 33 just to have a bit of a hotrod. I had a 338 RUM and it was good, but those cartridges are HUGE. I guess I need any of these like a whole in the head, but- well you know- how do you say no?

I've used Reloder 15 mostly, with a little work with IMR4007, H414 and WW748. Which hasn't come close to Re 15, as of yet. I'm running 225's at about 2650 so far, but I haven't come close to limits and haven't actually shot them much. I'm running 185 TSX's at 2850; 200 Interlocks at 2750; and 210 TSX's at 2750. None of these loads are showing any sign whatsoever of pressure, so I'm sure they're not at the top of the capability. I am also sure they are quite adequate of killing anything I'll ever hunt again at any distance I'll ever shoot again.

I have rifles in probably a dozen cartridges I don't "need" -- but what would be the point of not having them grin?

Dennis

175rltw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Exactly, why wouldn't I have them? maybe I oughta take a closer look at that 338 RCM, those numbers are out of a 20 inch tube right? I'm enjoying that. Reason I got on this kic k at all was that the 338 redneck blah blah on gunbroker I swaer I saw 3100 FPS with 185's, which would mean 225's and 250's would be cruising, so... at any rate, I may look again at the RCM. The propretairy powder routine throws me off all those new hornady collarborations in a bad way.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks, good info. Your post got me to looking around. Here is one writers take on the RCM and handloading - http://www.realguns.com/archives/170.htm. Definitely suitable numbers from anything or any range I would hunt. ...and in a handy package. But a 338 Fed in a Kimber would be nice too.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Muledeer, any good 338Fed loads? 210 Partition for example.

Last edited by prm; 09/09/09.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dennis,

Would your attitude toward the .338 RCM vs. the .338 WSM (whatever it might be called) be anything like Kim Darby's statement in TRUE GRIT that "enough is as good as a feast?"

When I "designed" the 9.3 Barsness-Sisk on the .350 Remington Magnum case I had much the same reason for not using the WSM case: The .350 fed perfectly and was just right for what I wanted, a short-action 9.3x62. Of course a number of shooters askd why I hadn't used the WSM case, since it would be "better," as in "more velocity." Which of course was not the point!

Yr. brother Darryl

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My .338 Fed loads use the 185 gr TSX and 200 gr Hornadies. I don't shoot Partitions smile. But if you want to use them I'm sure a .338 Fed will shoot them just fine.

I use Reloder 15, at 48 gr for the 185 TSX's and 200 gr Hornady Interlocks.

This pic is of the 47 gr load, but the all worked the same.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I think the same or similar loads would work fine with a 210 gr Partition -- start lower, of course, and work up.

They're producing around 2600 fps out of my 18.5" barreled Ruger RSI .338 Fed.

Dennis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Dennis,

Would your attitude toward the .338 RCM vs. the .338 WSM (whatever it might be called) be anything like Kim Darby's statement in TRUE GRIT that "enough is as good as a feast?"

When I "designed" the 9.3 Barsness-Sisk on the .350 Remington Magnum case I had much the same reason for not using the WSM case: The .350 fed perfectly and was just right for what I wanted, a short-action 9.3x62. Of course a number of shooters askd why I hadn't used the WSM case, since it would be "better," as in "more velocity." Which of course was not the point!

Yr. brother Darryl

Pretty much...I decided a long time ago that "enough is enough," though sometimes that is hard to figure out. I like the quote; I'll remember that one smile. I also like Rugers a lot, which has an effect on my purchases.

Good to hear from you -- I need to PM you about my upcoming trip your direction, among other places.

Your brother Darrel

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by prm
Muledeer, any good 338Fed loads? 210 Partition for example.

Not muledeer but I use 47.0gr of IMR4895 and a 200gr Hornady SP for 2550fps from a 21" bbl. I forget the charge weight but I almost went with WIN748 and the Nosler 210 PT. It was accurate and about the same MV as the above load.

RH

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 59 invisible), 2,580 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,932
Posts18,498,700
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.