Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Due to an increase in home invasions in east central Alabama, I'm looking at getting a home defense pistol. I have a wife and two kids (10,4). I intend to keep it in a quick access safe, by the bed. I'm considering a Glock 9mm with a crimson trace sight. If my wife had to access it, I don't want her trying to access a safety or not be able to shoot it because the safety is on. I also don't want something that will jamm frequently. Consequently, I am considering a Glock 9mm. I am no handgun expert, so how about some feedback from the more experienced handgun shooters. Thanks. rbh

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Just kinda hard to beat a Glock.
Laser grips are to the taste of the owner.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I cannot bring myself to recommend a Glock. Yes, they're reliable, but the Glock was made as a compromise weapon from scratch. It has a lousy trigger that's hard to master. Why not just go with an old reliable double action revolver like a S&W Model 10?
[Linked Image]

With modern designed +p loads out of a four inch barrel, it's hard to beat for home defense. Simplicity itself. And it's a classic, so it will inspire pride in ownership and make you want to go out and shoot it a lot. Get real good with it. Make you deadly.

Or, along similar lines, a nice Colt Police Positive.
[Linked Image]

Attached Images
S&W Mod 10.JPG (95.37 KB, 1374 downloads)
Police Positive.JPG (35.58 KB, 1301 downloads)
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Laser sights have their fans and detractors, I'm in the latter group. Even most of the fans would say a set of tritium sights and the proper use of a flashlight are more important, with the laser added as insurance.

In my opinion, the 9mm Glock 19 is the all-round best Glock for self defense.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
[bleep] the laser grips.

Get a Glock with the rail underneath, put a decent light on there, and set it on the nightstand. I have a G20 that has the light underneath, and shoot it PLENTY well. The wife shoots it fine, and asks that it stay home when I go out into the woods (the light is a WONDERFUL thing, esp. with 15 rounds on tap).

IC B2

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I prefer a separate flashlight. If I need to ID a target I don't want to have to point the muzzle at it to do so. Heck, it might be my wife coming home drunk from the bar. wink

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
You might also check out the Springfield XD line. They point better than the Glocks. Either one would be a good choice.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I�m not the hugest fan of the Glock, but I really can�t fault your line of thinking. To the contrary of my brethren on this forum, I have trained extensively with the Crimson Trace laser grip and have a strong preference for it on a defensive pistol. With the laser grip, you must treat it as an adjunct to your pistol, rather than a replacement for traditional training. Tritium night sights would be first and then the laser grip; if you can afford both you�re in good shape. The thing about the laser grips though is the training, you have to train in their use extensively to really know when to use them and when not to use them.

As for the Glock, the 19 is by far my favorite. Just don�t skimp on training and I would recommend a .22 conversion unit to further augment your training.

Simply arming yourself is not enough, and can actually make the situation worse if you don�t train and educate yourself. Start by picking up a copy of Massad Ayoob�s In The Gravest Extreme: http://www.amazon.com/Gravest-Extre...mp;s=books&qid=1252675053&sr=1-1 It�s a bit dated, but it�s still the best basic education I�ve seen.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I guess I'm the last of the dinosaurs here at the fire.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm with TRH about Glocks, at least for novices. I think of them as cocked and unlocked single action autos, an expert's gun. For use by multiple people, including those who do not have a lot of experience with handguns, I prefer something with a more traditional DA trigger and no external mechanical safety. That category includes all modern revolvers and numerous semi-autos, including Sig DAKs, Beretta and Smith DAOs, Kel-Tecs, and probably some others of which I am not aware. I am in a minority on this point, so YMMV.

P.S. As for Laser Sights, I can live without them. I would prefer a rail and a rail light.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 09/11/09. Reason: Add P.S.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

I guess not, considering my last post. smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Since you have the 4 & 10 y/o around I would be sure to keep it locked away from them(& friends that may come by). Depending on the wife's familiarity you would want a 'grab & go' gun. This points to a D/A revolver & similar semi-auto. The Glock 19 9mm would do the trick. I wouldn't worry to much about laser sights & weapon mounted lights. I'd get some range time for you & the wife, store it safely & you should be ready.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
I�m not the hugest fan of the Glock, but I really can�t fault your line of thinking. To the contrary of my brethren on this forum, I have trained extensively with the Crimson Trace laser grip and have a strong preference for it on a defensive pistol. With the laser grip, you must treat it as an adjunct to your pistol, rather than a replacement for traditional training. Tritium night sights would be first and then the laser grip; if you can afford both you�re in good shape. The thing about the laser grips though is the training, you have to train in their use extensively to really know when to use them and when not to use them.

I don't disagree with your progression, but you've been shooting handguns for a long time. Your first nightstand pistol was, like, 1950? wink

If a guy is going to train a lot of time should be spent up front using the regular sights. A laser is not a 'fix' for basic gun handling skills and will often slow new shooters down without adding any accuracy.

Simply arming yourself is not enough, and can actually make the situation worse if you don�t train and educate yourself.

We could argue about that. Most shooters have little or no training, and the need for more would be manifested in numerous failed self defense attempts. Reality is quite the opposite.

Robert Frost
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't overlook the Steyr M9A1. That is what I keep in my bed safe. I installed an under the barrel laser. The Steyr design is from Austria, same as the Glock, at about 2/3 of the price. I like the ergonomics better than my Glock. No bells or whistles, either. Just pull the trigger. My electronic bed safe is from Sportsman Guide for $30. Good luck.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've got two 10mm Glocks, a 20 and a 29. Both have the conversion barrels to make them .40's (cheaper and more available brass/ammo for practice) as well as a .22 conversion for the 20 for practicing sight picture/trigger.

I have to "sort of" disagree with the revolver guys because of the trigger. The long DA trigger of a revolver is not something everybody can shoot well. This can be more evident with women. I've seen some women/youngsters kinda struggle with a long and heavy DA trigger. I've got a Redhawk revolver and I gotta admit it's a very weird thing to go from my Glocks to the 'Hawk.

Anyway, not knocking revolvers since I've got one and like it but having shot both I would 100 times out of 100 prefer one of my Glocks to a revolver in a SD scenario. (well, other than a charging bear, when I think I'd prefer the .44)

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
If you, and more importantly your wife, are going to take the time and expense to become proficient with a handgun, great. Skip the 9mm and get a .357, .40, or a .45. Tritiums are a must and I do like CTC laser grips. Be sure she can pull the slide back easily. My wife can't chamber a round in my 10mm Glock or 1911 with a heavy spring without effort and too much thought and fiddling.

If you don't believe you or your wife would become capable handgun shooters, get a shotgun.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can take a total newbie female and have her hitting center mass of an IPSC target at 7-10 yards with a revolver in less than an hour. I prefer Smith triggers to Ruger triggers, though, for the reason you mentioned.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by croldfort
Don't overlook the Steyr M9A1. That is what I keep in my bed safe. I installed an under the barrel laser. The Steyr design is from Austria, same as the Glock, at about 2/3 of the price. I like the ergonomics better than my Glock. No bells or whistles, either. Just pull the trigger. My electronic bed safe is from Sportsman Guide for $30. Good luck.
Never owned one, but have always liked the design. When I worked part time in a local gun shop back in the 1990s, we had one in stock, and I fooled around with it a lot. The most naturally pointing auto pistol that's ever been in my hands. Always intended to pick one up, but just never got around to it.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by guyandarifle
I've got two 10mm Glocks, a 20 and a 29. Both have the conversion barrels to make them .40's (cheaper and more available brass/ammo for practice) as well as a .22 conversion for the 20 for practicing sight picture/trigger.

I have to "sort of" disagree with the revolver guys because of the trigger. The long DA trigger of a revolver is not something everybody can shoot well. This can be more evident with women. I've seen some women/youngsters kinda struggle with a long and heavy DA trigger. I've got a Redhawk revolver and I gotta admit it's a very weird thing to go from my Glocks to the 'Hawk.

Anyway, not knocking revolvers since I've got one and like it but having shot both I would 100 times out of 100 prefer one of my Glocks to a revolver in a SD scenario. (well, other than a charging bear, when I think I'd prefer the .44)
I've owned several Glocks, and I've owned lots more revolvers. No contest in my book. A good revolver in double action mode wins hands down in every respect.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, but everyone likes dinosaurs. Hey, if HE wants a Glock, doesn't mean WE have to take Tupperware to a gunfight wink

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
I can take a total newbie female and have her hitting center mass of an IPSC target at 7-10 yards with a revolver in less than an hour.
Same. But I can actually say the same thing regarding a Kahr P9. The trigger pulls on those feel very much like that on a good double action revolver. Glocks are a different matter, though. Lousy triggers. Like a cheap staple-gun. I suppose, with enough effort and range time, you could eventually master even a lousy staple-gun trigger, but why bother when there are so many guns out there with nice, easy to master, triggers?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by guyandarifle

I've owned several Glocks, and I've owned lots more revolvers. No contest in my book. A good revolver in double action mode wins hands down in every respect.

The personification of YMMV eh? smile

For whatever reason, even though some people dislike (and others outright HATE Glock triggers) I've never had much of an issue with mine. A lot of it is I, on the other hand, HATE long trigger pulls. After shooting my Glocks and picking up my Kahr P40 and trying to shoot I find myself thinking "When the hell is this thing going to fire?!!". I settle down after awhile and it's a smooth enough trigger in it's travel but man it seems like a long squeeze. (or, more accurately, longER)

Maybe I've just shot enough Glocks (that .22 conversion is wonderful BTW) to get jaded?

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JOG
I don't disagree with your progression, but you've been shooting handguns for a long time. Your first nightstand pistol was, like, 1950? wink
Man, seems everyone is picking on my age as of late; and I�m no where near that old, just a touch over 40.

Originally Posted by JOG
If a guy is going to train a lot of time should be spent up front using the regular sights. A laser is not a 'fix' for basic gun handling skills and will often slow new shooters down without adding any accuracy.
I think I eluded to that

Originally Posted by JOG
We could argue about that. Most shooters have little or no training, and the need for more would be manifested in numerous failed self defense attempts. Reality is quite the opposite.
Depending on who we�re talking about and the circumstance, we both could make a very successful defense of our positions. My position was from the standpoint of someone who has never owned a gun before (I really don�t know if the OP has any experience at all). There are many who, when trouble comes they buy a handgun and leave it at that. Often, they never even fire the thing until something goes bump in the night. Now in some cases, everything works out, but in other cases their lack of familiarity, or lack of mental conditioning can mean that they can find their own weapon turned on them.

And for those who get lucky and everything works out during the shooting; what about the aftermath? How many of those said something stupid to the responding officers? How many of those were sued in a civil court for everything the have and will ever have? No one keeps such statistics. My point was to try to stress the need for education.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Wadcutter at 800 fps,..center of mass,..repeat as necessary.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
He was alluding to the fact that your efforts at education eluded them. laugh

OK, I'm being a dick. blush

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
I can take a total newbie female and have her hitting center mass of an IPSC target at 7-10 yards with a revolver in less than an hour.
Same. But I can actually say the same thing regarding a Kahr P9. The trigger pulls on those feel very much like that on a good double action revolver. Glocks are a different matter, though. Lousy triggers. Like a cheap staple-gun. I suppose, with enough effort and range time, you could eventually master even a lousy staple-gun trigger, but why bother when there are so many guns out there with nice, easy to master, triggers?

I hate the Glock trigger. But it really isn't that hard to get proficient with it. But if you shoot anything else and switch to the Glock, it can take a little shooting to get tuned into it. I don't recommend Glocks to anyone - unless they will agree to get a .22lr conversion for training. That puts the Glock into the realm of practical as starting with a good 38/357 revolver and "downloading" it for practice. I would recommend a used G17 to keep the price down and because it is the easiest Glock to shoot well.

BUT - I don't generally advise Glocks - or any semi-auto - for beginners or those who will not practice enough to be familiar with the pistol and it's operation. One could be just as well off with one of the revolvers mentioned above - and no, it is not any harder to learn a good DA revolver trigger than that of the Glock.

So - if you want a Glock, by all means get one. But make sure it fits the wife too, and make sure you will be able to practice with it (ideally, using the .22 conversion), and do get some education in defense and legal issues.

But the most important thing is to sit down, you and the wife, and really think over and decide....when the bad guy enters the room - should you shoot? Can you shoot? Will you shoot? Any "no" answers might indicate your gun may be more dangerous to you than to the housebreaker.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Man, seems everyone is picking on my age as of late; and I�m no where near that old, just a touch over 40.

I know, but you're 85 in shooter years. As for the rest, we disagree on maybe the 1% where you're wrong and I'm right. smirk

Robert Frost
Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you get a Glock and have the NY-1 trigger installed. It's a bit heavier than the stock model, but the pull is much more like a revolver than the funky factory 'light switch' trigger. If you want the lighter trigger pull, use a 3.5# connector with the NY-1 trigger spring. It will give you the same pull weight as the factory trigger, but with a more uniform pull. Ghost has a nice 3.5 connector that help reduce take up and over-travel.

Revolvers do have a simpler manual of arms, and it's much easier for a beginner to understand loaded/unloaded with a revolver - no checking the chamber. Something like a 640 or other hammerless model is the safest bet.

Practice keeping the finger off the trigger until ready to shoot!

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
If you see my other thread, I just purchased my first Sig. I carried Glocks the entire time I was a LEO, and love them. They are 100% reliabale and more than combat accurate. With that said, I've never been comfortable recommending them to anyone that won't committ to ALOT of training. The standard trigger is like 5 1/5 lbs, and a SHORT SHORT pull, and the only real safety is your finger. If you are getting an auto, look at weapons with longer trigger pulls and safeties. Sig, Smith, Beretta etc.

Unreconstructed to the End.
Dum Vivimus Vivamus
Death smiles at us all...but only FMF Corpsmen smile back
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

RBH:

Glock 17 is a great choice.

The trigger is fine as it comes from the factory. Leave it alone, and you'll be fine, too.

It was designed from the get-go for issue to European soldiers who, for the most part, are young men and women who did not grow up around firearms and mostly likely never held a handgun until they were issued their Glock 17s. Hence, it's not difficult to learn how to use it.

Buy lots of practice ammo.

And if you ever have to use it, get close.

- Tom

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Glock 19 is an excellent choice in a self stuffer and the trigger is easy to get acclimatized to IMHO. The K frame S&W or D frame Colt are also hard to beat and will serve you well.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Terry,

I don't understand it, but I've seen more than a few women have trouble with D-frames. There must be some mystical convergence of hand strength and trigger reach that cause some women problems. I thought I had solved the world's problems when I bought my wife a Diamondback - she couldn't manage the trigger.

Robert Frost
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JOG
Terry,

I don't understand it, but I've seen more than a few women have trouble with D-frames. There must be some mystical convergence of hand strength and trigger reach that cause some women problems. I thought I had solved the world's problems when I bought my wife a Diamondback - she couldn't manage the trigger.
Their triggers stack up near the end of the stroke, which causes some people problems. That's why, in fact, when police departments started training cops to shoot double action, instead of single action (target shooting style), they started switching in droves to the Smith & Wesson, the double action of which doesn't stack near the end, but actually lightens near the end. Colt lost a lot of cop contracts after that paradigm shift. The Smith & Wesson double action stroke makes becoming proficient with double action shooting a good bit easier. Personally, however, I've been shooting double action revolvers so long, since 1980, that I can shoot them both almost exactly as well, and that's very well indeed.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I refuse have anything called a quick access safe. Even with kids around. If you need it, you'll need it right now.
I'd buy whatever both of you can shoot well. That's first. Had a girl friend once that put a 5 hardball rds. into the black at 25 yds. with my .45 Colt Gold Cup the first time she ever shot a handgun. Had a wife that couldn't handle anything more than a .22 Kit Gun. So people vary alot.
What I do is take it out of it's safe place at night and stick it near me where it's handy but out of sight. In the morning, the first thing I do is put it away. You might consider that.
I've seen what happens when people use guns to protect themselves and their loved ones. Many times.
It must be readily accessable and you must be able to use it easily. You must be willing to use it. Otherwise, you are creating more problems for yourself and others.
So find something both of you like and make sure it's always where it needs to be for you. E

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I agree. Mine is either in my holster inside my waistband, or on my night stand while I sleep.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep, Hawk handled that one well. BTW, my daughter carried a Police Positive as a duty weapon for years before they went semi-auto, all depends on the person, Like Hawk, I shoot either one equally.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I like Glocks and think the G19 would be a great choice for what you're after. They're easy to operate, reliable and plenty accurate.

FWIW, before I went with a laser, I'd consider trying a Streamlight TLR-1 light (~$80). They're a pretty good ROI for a self-defense handgun IMO.....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
[bleep] the laser grips.

Yes and no...

I am convinced that these grips will get a person killed. I am also convinced that if you wander into my house in the middle of the night that my wife will drill your azz dead center using these things.

They serve a purpose and it takes a person with a strong mind to determine when they should be looking for that red light or when they should be looking for the front dot.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
Due to an increase in home invasions in east central Alabama, I'm looking at getting a home defense pistol. I have a wife and two kids (10,4). I intend to keep it in a quick access safe, by the bed. I'm considering a Glock 9mm with a crimson trace sight. If my wife had to access it, I don't want her trying to access a safety or not be able to shoot it because the safety is on. I also don't want something that will jamm frequently. Consequently, I am considering a Glock 9mm. I am no handgun expert, so how about some feedback from the more experienced handgun shooters. Thanks. rbh

Based on your circumstance I would choose an easily accessible 12 gauge nearby and load it "hot standby". Meaning: Mag full, chamber empty, firing pin dropped. All you have to do is pick it up, rack it, and go to work.

But if you want a pistol...I'd say buy whatever you are comfortable with. Make sure it has night sights, and buy a handheld Surefire. All this talk about triggers is BS. You know or learn how to shoot a handgun or you don't. Doesn't matter the make or model. I've seen so many shooters blame the design of a handgun for their schitty shooting. Put their "great" handgun in their hands and they still shoot like schit.

Travis

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Why isn't your first choice of a weapon a good solid shotgun? Even in a 20 gauge pump like a M870 or M500?

The backup weapon would then be the handgun. Which in a 9mm my first choice is indeed a G19, if not a G23 in .40S&W.

Don't overlook a lightweight Remington M870 in 20 gauge! Its actually what I did, followed by the G19 loaded with 124grn +P+ Speer GoldDots.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Flfiremedic
If you are getting an auto, look at weapons with longer trigger pulls and safeties. Sig, Smith, Beretta etc.

And on the Sig/Beretta go with a DAO trigger set up rather than the DA/SA. I wouldn't recommend a S&W auto for what you are wanting other than the new(er) M&P line. Very good ergonomics, seem reliable from everything I have read, and if the rare problem should happen to pop up you will likely find S&W's customer service much better than Glock's. Although by going with a 9mm you are lessening the need for it, even with that I have seen a G-26 that was probably short chambered that went back to Smyrna and was never fixed so the marketing claim of perfection isn't a damnable offense in and of itself, but the behavior when the claim fails definitely is.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Priorities - a .50 Browning with the charging handle racked once and mounted to cover the hall is a good man stopper. So is a 12 gauge, but I used to know a little boy who lived in Ontario, OR who is dead now because his 10 year old brother blew most of his head off with a 12 gauge that was kept loaded and easily accessible.

So if it needs to be kept out of the hands of a couple of small children then that priority might override other desirable features of a self defense weapon.

Best advice I've seen so far is to get what you and your wife are comfortable with, not what pleases someone else's personal preference. Don't let yourself be swayed too much by all of the hair splitting here. It's pretty common on all of the 24hcf forums when anyone asks "I have basic needs - what should I get?" to be answered that is absolutely critical to get what the answerer believes is the perfect solution to HIS wants and desires, not yours.

For your wife just make sure it's not too heavy and does not hurt her when she fires it. Women don't have some macho image to live up to, they do not like hard kicking guns. Make sure you can both reach the controls. Make sure it points pretty much where you're looking for both of you.

Main thing is, get something that inspires confidence in both of you. Action type, brand, model, caliber (within reason), and all the other niceties really are secondary to something that lets you put the bullet where it will do the most good. If you and you wife both like the Glock, go for it.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
It's pretty common on all of the 24hcf forums when anyone asks "I have basic needs - what should I get?" to be answered that is absolutely critical to get what the answerer believes is the perfect solution to HIS wants and desires, not yours.

Hey, at least on this thread most of the responses have more or less addressed the question that was asked, rather than the question people felt like answering. smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RufusG
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
It's pretty common on all of the 24hcf forums when anyone asks "I have basic needs - what should I get?" to be answered that is absolutely critical to get what the answerer believes is the perfect solution to HIS wants and desires, not yours.

Hey, at least on this thread most of the responses have more or less addressed the question that was asked, rather than the question people felt like answering. smile

A good idea would be to go to a rental range and just tell them what you want to rent. While you will likely get someone who will show you the basics of how it operates that will also likely drop in some of their own personal prejudices for or against, it will likely be less than if you borrow someone's stuff at the range.

Mine are in favor of semi-auto pistols with the same trigger pull from shot to shot and preferably shorter reset distances on those. While a revolver is less complex to operate in theory, even that goes out the window if you have an ammo failure beyond a simple failure to fire, by some odd chance you have to reload, and there is always the opportunity to short stroke the trigger. In short, you have to practice with a revolver also.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG
Terry,

Their triggers stack up near the end of the stroke, which causes some people problems.

I dunno, but I don't think that's it. I agree with you assessment of Colt triggers, but it seems like women that have trouble are pulling the trigger up into the frame or down into the trigger guard - more of a hand geometry problem then a spring problem.

Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JOG
...we disagree on maybe the 1% where you're wrong and I'm right. smirk
I can live with that wink

Last edited by KevinGibson; 09/12/09.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wyoelk
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
[bleep] the laser grips.

Yes and no...

I am convinced that these grips will get a person killed. I am also convinced that if you wander into my house in the middle of the night that my wife will drill your azz dead center using these things.

They serve a purpose and it takes a person with a strong mind to determine when they should be looking for that red light or when they should be looking for the front dot.
Yeah I know, Sean is a real subtle...but we love the hell out of him...even if he is a "bleep"-hole

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by JOG
Terry,

Their triggers stack up near the end of the stroke, which causes some people problems.

I dunno, but I don't think that's it. I agree with you assessment of Colt triggers, but it seems like women that have trouble are pulling the trigger up into the frame or down into the trigger guard - more of a hand geometry problem then a spring problem.

Yeah this is a tough one I've struggled with also. I've found the most female friendly setups for revolvers are the SP101 with a touch of action work, mostly in the form of lighter springs and most Rugers need to be smoothed up in the DA department. The next is a round butt K frame wearing Pachmayr Compac Professional grips, the one's with the open backstrap. And lighter springs are always a help also. If I'm arming my wife with a revolver, it's a 3" HB RB K frame, Wolf springs, Pachmayr Compac Professionals, mill off the front sight and replace with a dovetailed tritium front sight and BOOM baby, we're good to go.

But my wife prefers autos, so it's either a Kahr P9 or an Astra A70 (a great pistol that no one ever noticed)

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I'm arming my wife with a revolver, it's a 3" HB RB K frame, Wolf springs, Pachmayr Compac Professionals, mill off the front sight and replace with a dovetailed tritium front sight and BOOM baby, we're good to go.

Kevin, this might be awful sudden, but will you marry me?

Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...I've found the most female friendly setups for revolvers are the SP101 with a touch of action work, mostly in the form of lighter springs and most Rugers need to be smoothed up in the DA department....

Yep - that's what works for my wife. And I kinda like shooting it too. OTOH - she also did well with the Browning Hi-Power.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
[quote=JOG

I dunno, but I don't think that's it. I agree with you assessment of Colt triggers, but it seems like women that have trouble are pulling the trigger up into the frame or down into the trigger guard - more of a hand geometry problem then a spring problem. [/quote]

1+ on the hand geometry problem. I have smallish hands and tend to pull the trigger down into the trigger guard with certain handguns. Fit of the grip and ability to reach the controls is critical.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
As to all the shotgun reccommendations, I agree.. they are a great home defence weapon. However, I don't want any chance of my kids getting a hold of it while I'm not around. I would rather take the chance of not being able to get to it a few seconds faster than have some neighbor kid visiting, or my own, do something stupid with it. After viewing several options, I think I'll be settling on a Glock 17 with night sights and a crimson trace laser sight in 9mm and a quick access bedside safe.
Since I hand load, and I've heard of some glocks blowing up because the case isn't fully supported...How strongly would you recommend getting a new, more fully case supporting barrel?? Though it seems like the 40 cal's seem more prone to this problem than the 9mm's. What say you, glock handloading experts??

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Aftermarket barrels can somewhat compromise reliability. Tighter chambers and other critical dimensions are often "tightened" to get better accuracy at the expense of reliability. If you intend to use it as a practice / training barrel, then there's no real reason not to if it makes you feel better. I don't have a problem developing jacketed 9mm loads for use in the factory generation 2 and generation 3 Glock 19's that I have. The Barsto barrels that I have for them are a bit picky about OAL when using LRN handloads. The aftermarket barrels I have do offer a tad more case support, but not trying to make 2000 fps with a 9mm or 40 has quite a bit to do with blowing up most any pistol. Proper load development gets you function and accuracy without excessive pressures.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
As to all the shotgun reccommendations, I agree.. they are a great home defence weapon. However, I don't want any chance of my kids getting a hold of it while I'm not around. I would rather take the chance of not being able to get to it a few seconds faster than have some neighbor kid visiting, or my own, do something stupid with it. After viewing several options, I think I'll be settling on a Glock 17 with night sights and a crimson trace laser sight in 9mm and a quick access bedside safe.
Since I hand load, and I've heard of some glocks blowing up because the case isn't fully supported...How strongly would you recommend getting a new, more fully case supporting barrel?? Though it seems like the 40 cal's seem more prone to this problem than the 9mm's. What say you, glock handloading experts??

If you are going to handload, get the aftermarket barrel. If not, load factory fodder and rock on with the factory tube.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
For me, the S&W M&P series points better than either the Glock or XD line. I prefer Kahrs the best, but those are more of a carry gun for me. The bedside gun for me is the M&P, full size in 9mm with a good flashlight. I have a PM9 with tritium sights that is in the drawer as well.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
On the other hand, I have a S&W M60 with a 3 inch barrel that my wife shoots well with .38 Spl +P ammo and she prefers it to any of my autoloaders

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Getting one handgun to really fit both you and your wife for good control and accurate rapid combat type shooting probably isn't going to be easy.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S&W M&P

PROUD TO BE A VETERAN
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by WaterMan
S&W M&P
That model name has become ambiguous. No one knows if you're recommending a no-frills .38 Special revolver or a wonder nine.

Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why not a shotgun?

With a handgun, you can use it effectively with only one hand. This leaves the other free to dial the phone, lock the door, use the flashlight, etc. It is also much harder to wrestle a handgun away from someone than it is a shotgun. And at indoor ranges the pattern of a shotgun is small, making it no more likely to hit.

The one advantage the shotgun has is power. It is going to be far more lethal at indoor ranges than the typical handgun. Birdshot is all you need in confined spaces.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
You are assuming the fight will stay indoors. Not always so. Buckshot is a far better choice. E

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Eremicus
You are assuming the fight will stay indoors. Not always so. Buckshot is a far better choice. E
That's my opinion as well. My shotguns are loaded with Buck.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
On the other hand, I have a S&W M60 with a 3 inch barrel that my wife shoots well with .38 Spl +P ammo and she prefers it to any of my autoloaders

Yep...

One sits loaded in the safe as I speak.

[Linked Image]

My wife shoots well with it too.

Not so much with autoloaders.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ummmmmm, after reading through these posts, brings about the sense that GLOCK has a trigger problem, I don't buy that BS at all folks. There are NO safety's to sweep off in order to fire a round and the trigger pull is the same from the get go and easyier than many double action revolvers to pull.

However, if your wanting a house gun with the up most ability to handle the home invader, start with the proper tool in the first place and that is a pump shotgun. Nothing beats a pumpgun loaded up with #6's or #7.5 shot at close range (30ft or less) you sure as hell don't want to be blowing through drywall into a kids bedroom etc with Buck-Shot or rounds from your 9mm or 45 cal pistol etc.

Now as far as GLOCKS not having a great trigger (maybe not for competition!) I think someone is just playing with half a deck of cards. I'll take a non-shooter and have them shooting tight groups at 21ft compared to using a S&W double action revolver.

I have a GLOCK 22 (.40cal) at my nightstand but I reach for that 590 Mossburg 12ga. pumpgun at bedside, first thing, when I suspect a possible problem in house or outside. A SHOTGUN is your best bet for home protection in my humble opinion.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Tonk
Now as far as GLOCKS not having a great trigger (maybe not for competition!) I think someone is just playing with half a deck of cards.
For precision work, the Glock's trigger it terrible. Can it be mastered? Yes. Even a staple-gun-like trigger can be mastered, but since a typical S&W double action K or larger frame revolver has a double action trigger stroke that feels in comparison like it's parts are made of oiled glass, why would anyone wish to handicap themselves with a Glock's staple-gun-like trigger unless their department mandated it? If you think a Glock has a better trigger than a typical K or larger frame S&W double action revolver, you need to consult your psychiatrist about a change in you meds.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Every pistol and revolver has its pluses and minuses. These pluses and minuses can be, in the case of Tonk and TRH, found in the trigger operation. On the plus side of the K,L, and N frame Smiths is their smooth, consistent double action pull. On the plus side for the Glock is its consistent trigger pull. Training on either of the two is the same due to the consistency of both. Training someone on a typical DA/SA pistol is usually a more difficult task due to the first shot being DA and the subsequent SA pull differences. Folks often load up a magazine with 15 or so rounds and that results in practicing the DA/SA transition 1 time per magazine, unless a decocker is used. The Glock trigger can easily be changed to more closely feel like that of a DAO revolver. In that case a 4.5 pound connector and a NY spring gives a much similar feel to a DAO rather than the typical Glock 2 stage. Still not as slick as that of a Smith, but in no way a great hindrance to shooting at typical self defense distances. Different requirements such as self defense, target shooting, etc; lend themselves to different platforms. While they all launch bullets, intracasies of operation leave one with a decision to make on the compromise involved in those differences. That said, I like the DA trigger pull of my Smiths better and from a concealed carry setup I can pretty easily shoot the NQC course of fire cleanly with it, my split times are slower for the revolver and my reload times are slightly slower even using full moon clips. Score wise between a Beretta 92FS, Smith 646, Baer 1911, or Glock 19 I give up little more than the random good day shooting vs bad day shooting between any of them from a concealed carry setup. Split wise, fastest is usually the 1911, then the Glock 19, the 92FS and the 646 are usually too close to call when using the DA/SA of the 92FS. Training and practice easily overcome the perceived shortcomings of the different trigger systems more so than the mechanical device itself. Decisions of the value of the pluses and minuses vary from individual to individual and their intended use.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Glocks are fine, and I have 3 of them....but make sure you get decent training, and practice with them....especially speed reloading and administrative reloading of the mags....they have "fat" grips and if you have smaller hands like I do...it takes a lot of practice to master reloading. I do tend to agree with Hawkeye on the revolvers though....I enjoy all my semis....but I am still a revolver guy at heart!!....just remember.....5 or 6 FOR SURE....with the revolvers.

"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." Ten Bears
NRA Benefactor LIfe Member
USCG Veteran
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ummmmmm, after reading through these posts, brings about the sense that GLOCK has a trigger problem...

I know I didn't make that claim. The problem with the Glock trigger is I don't like it. I don't particularly like the grip frame either. I find other guns - revolvers and pistols - easier to shoot well. Guns that shoot with precision and ease are more fun to use, hence I am more inclined to use them often. Glocks, for me...not so much. I can shoot them well, after some "get acquainted" time (every time), but I don't see any reason to bother when I don't have to use a Glock.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Ummmmmm, after reading through these posts, brings about the sense that GLOCK has a trigger problem...

I know I didn't make that claim. The problem with the Glock trigger is I don't like it. I don't particularly like the grip frame either. I find other guns - revolvers and pistols - easier to shoot well. Guns that shoot with precision and ease are more fun to use, hence I am more inclined to use them often. Glocks, for me...not so much. I can shoot them well, after some "get acquainted" time (every time), but I don't see any reason to bother when I don't have to use a Glock.
Exactly.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Why is it that everyone one talks "hardwear" and hardly a mention of "softwear"? You folks think shooting someone is easy...just mechanics...go buy a gun and defend youself? If you are not physically, mentally and emotionally prepared to defend your life when it happens you are going to get far more than you bargained for...maybe even prison.

How about the laws of Use of Deadly Force...do you know what they are in the area you are living...or do you just think you know. What about laws on safe storage, posession and a lot of other things.

My advise to anyone who has no clue about guns or personal defense is to call the NRA and find out who in your area gives the Basic Pistol Course and Personal Protection in the Home Course. After you have finished those two you'll have a clue what you are getting into...

Bob Makowski

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
However, if your wanting a house gun with the up most ability to handle the home invader, start with the proper tool in the first place and that is a pump shotgun. Nothing beats a pumpgun loaded up with #6's or #7.5 shot at close range (30ft or less) you sure as hell don't want to be blowing through drywall into a kids bedroom etc with Buck-Shot or rounds from your 9mm or 45 cal pistol etc.

The security-types I talked with during the Katrina fun often used shotguns while clearing buildings, but none of them used birdshot or buckshot. They used slugs for the penetration - they wanted to be able to shoot through chairs, couches, etc. that a bad guy might be using for cover. Out in the open they used AR's.

Robert Frost
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RJM52
Why is it that everyone one talks "hardwear" and hardly a mention of "softwear"? You folks think shooting someone is easy...just mechanics...go buy a gun and defend youself? If you are not physically, mentally and emotionally prepared to defend your life when it happens you are going to get far more than you bargained for...maybe even prison.

How about the laws of Use of Deadly Force...do you know what they are in the area you are living...or do you just think you know. What about laws on safe storage, posession and a lot of other things.

My advise to anyone who has no clue about guns or personal defense is to call the NRA and find out who in your area gives the Basic Pistol Course and Personal Protection in the Home Course. After you have finished those two you'll have a clue what you are getting into...

Bob Makowski
Eight-tenths of what a person of normal intelligence and prudence needs to know about his weapon in order to defend himself is contained in the owner's manual that came with it. An additional one-tenth can be acquired with some regular, well advised, and self-directed practice. If you want to work at that last one-tenth of preparedness still unaddressed after that, that's what the various hands-on professional training programs are for.

We see way too many cases of 90 year old great-grandma's holding burglars for the police with their deceased husband's rusty Model 10s to deny this reality.

Is hands-on training by a professional a good thing? Absolutely. Does everyone need to sign up for a seven day course at Front Sight in order to be equipped to defend themselves from criminals? Absolutely not.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hawkeye..having had to re-train the self-trained for the last 20 years I can only say you have no clue what you are talking about.

If I am not mistaken from a previous post you have not even spoken to anyone who has ever been in a gunfight let alone anyone who has ever killed someone. If you think one can get enough to win a real serious personal confrontation from the guns instruction manual you are very wrong...

Bob

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Hawkeye..having had to re-train the self-trained for the last 20 years I can only say you have no clue what you are talking about.

If I am not mistaken from a previous post you have not even spoken to anyone who has ever been in a gunfight let alone anyone who has ever killed someone. If you think one can get enough to win a real serious personal confrontation from the guns instruction manual you are very wrong...

Bob
The recorded statistics concerning armed citizens in confrontation with violent criminals simply do not support your conclusion.

Does the fact that I have received twenty hours of instruction from an NRA certified instructor in defensive handgun improve my chances? Of course it does, but not by much according to all available relevant statistics.

Does the fact that I've been an avid handgunner for 25 years, who occasionally competes in practical shooting matches, improve my chances? Of course, but again, not by much according to all available relevant stats.

The most important thing by far in an encounter with a violent criminal is that you have a gun and are willing and able to use it. All the rest is icing on the cake.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If you can please email where you have seen these "recorded statistics" I would appreciate it...then I can quit teaching and have more time for my own shooting.

Bob

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bob - we did mention this early on. You must've missed it.

Anyhoo, I agree somewhat with both of you. What is available (I'm thinking of Lott's work) does seem to imply that the odds of survival are improved just by having the gun and making the decision to use it. But statistics are meaningless to individuals in the face of an attack. All statistics have exceptions, and the point of training is to reduce the chance that you will be on the outside of the curve that makes up the statistical point.

Keep training those who will seek it, but don't get too wrapped about those who don't.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Bob - we did mention this early on. You must've missed it.

Anyhoo, I agree somewhat with both of you. What is available (I'm thinking of Lott's work) does seem to imply that the odds of survival are improved just by having the gun and making the decision to use it. But statistics are meaningless to individuals in the face of an attack. All statistics have exceptions, and the point of training is to reduce the chance that you will be on the outside of the curve that makes up the statistical point.

Keep training those who will seek it, but don't get too wrapped about those who don't.
Exactly. I am not in the least against training. Some people, however, seem to be obsessed with the notion that only those who have completed two or three seven day courses at Thunder Ranch, or what have you, stand a chance of surviving an encounter with a violent criminal. The facts just do not bear this out. As you say, however, that extra dose of preparation will likely come in handy on the thin edges of the normal curve, so it's certainly money, time, and effort well spent. This lines up with what I said earlier, i.e., that such courses of intensive training address that remaining one-tenth of preparedness for such potential encounters.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree that Americans tend to focus on equipment, but let's be frank, in order to protect yourself with a handgun, you must first have a handgun. After that, comes the training. And for that there are two things I recommend, in order of importance:

1 - In the Gravest Extreme: The Role of the Firearm in Personal Protection by Massad F. Ayoob : http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=in+the+gravest+extreme
The book is dated but the principles are still the same.

2 - A .22 Conversion unit for your Glock. Practice is the key to proficiency and this give syou cheap pracitce.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

... in order to protect yourself with a handgun, you must first have a handgun.

It's my belief that a well-educated man ought to be able to pick up another man's handgun off the ground and - without knowing or caring what it's loaded with - use it with dispatch and effectiveness at close range.

Any of the handguns mentioned in this thread, for example.

- Tom

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
...well I guess I have it backwards then. In the classes that I have run or helped with 75%+ of the people who purchased a gun before class were given advise from a friend, LEO, gun shop owner/employee...whoever and they quickly found out while better than nothing there was something better out there. So money and time were wasted.

Yesterday was Day II of the NRA Basic Pistol Course our club sponsored. Unlike the NRA that has now dumbed the course down from 10 to now 8 hours, we did two full days 0900-1700 and 0830-1700. There were 20 students ranging in age from 18-80, almost 1/2 were women. In four range sessions covering single action shooting, double action shooting and semi-autos each student fired 200 rounds of .22 ammo. During the Selection Lesson after explaining how to buy a handgun they then got to shoot up to 20 different centerfire handguns that the instructors brought in for them to try...100 more rounds of ammo fired.

In the reviews from past classes, many students rated this as one of the most important sessions right after safe gun handling.

In three weeks will be the Personal Protection in the Home Course. Again we do it in 18 hours not the 8 suggested by the NRA. By the time these people complete these courses they will have a much better idea how to propely select a gun for personal protection, the laws of self-defense, measues to take to prevent an attack in the first place and what to do in case of attack.

I equate purchasng and using a handgun with buying and driving a car. Keeping and using a gun for self-defense is like racing at Indy. Would you as a licensed driver bring a car home to your wife, tell her to read the instruction manual, park it in the garage and tell her that in case of emergency to drive her dying son to the hospital... You gotta know how to start it, maintain it, shift it, fuel it up...she going to remember all that when your son eats some poision and is dying? She just crossed the line from reading the manual to driving at Indy in one split second...and she doesn't even know the "rules of the road" let alone the rules of Indy.

Sorry, but I take this very seriously because in the 30+ years I spent in LE I saw people, including LEOs, killed because of the wrong attitude.

Bob

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Back in 1980 I took the twenty hour NRA program, taught to me privately by an NRA certified instructor, a retired deputy sheriff. I guess the first ten hours was the NRA Basic Pistol Course ("pistol" loosely defined, I suppose, since revolvers were covered too). The second ten hours I believe the instructor called "Defensive Handgun." I took one hour per day, five days per week, for four weeks, all private, and all at the town range using only his handguns. It was excellent. That was my foundation I voluntarily put myself through (at $20.00 per hour) before purchasing my first handgun, right after getting my license. After that, I was a regular at the range, drilling all the skills he taught me. Been an avid shooter, and concealed weapon carrier, ever since.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
That would have been correct except I belive the original course was called "Personal Protection" not Defensive Handgun. It changed to Personal Protection in the Home in the late 1990s. They now also have Personal Protection Outside the Home as well..16 hour two-three day course.

..so you did it as right as it gets...I guess my question is why would you not advise others to do the same?

Bob

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
That would have been correct except I belive the original course was called "Personal Protection" not Defensive Handgun. It changed to Personal Protection in the Home in the late 1990s. They now also have Personal Protection Outside the Home as well..16 hour two-three day course.

..so you did it as right as it gets...I guess my question is why would not advise others to do the same?

Bob
I would advise others to do the same. I simply maintain that 80% of the advantage from having a gun is achieved simply by 1) having it with you ready to bring into action, 2) understanding its basic operation, and 3) being mentally prepared to use it when needed. That doesn't necessarily require a formal twenty hour course. It would help, but the stats on civilian uses of firearms in defense of themselves from violent crime demonstrates that the courses I took (and you teach) are not strictly necessary to enjoy the vast majority of the advantage achievable from having a firearm.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Get the Glock. The 19 is a joy to shoot. It will probably fit her hand just fine--unless her hands are really small.

Go to wall mart and buy some white box winchester 9mm @ $20 per hundred.

Practice at 7 to 10 yards (how long is your house?).

Practice picking up your gun from a table (night stand simulation)--point and shoot.

You want to practice dobule or tripple taps.

If you can tripple tap in an 8" pie plate--you can neutralize most intruders.

When you can tripple tap in a 4" circle your're there.

The conversation always gets lost in egos. Some who advocate the revolver, and have a personal distaste for the Glock tell you, "if you get Glock--buy a 22 conversion kit so you can practise." That's condesending crap. As if you don't need to practise with a revolver.

Practice with ammo that simulates what you plan use for home defense.

As too the lazer. That is your call. I think that a blinding light in the face of an intruder will buy you more advantage to get a shot off than the lazer. It' hard for an intruder to attact with his arms and hands in his face and covering his eyes.

I shoot my Glock better than any of my revolvers. The trigger is not an issue at all. It might have something to do with the disperportionate time I have behind it.

To quote Hawkeye, "I simply maintain that 80% of the advantage from having a gun is achieved simply by 1) having it with you ready to bring into action, 2) understanding its basic operation, and 3) being mentally prepared to use it when needed."

All of his posts could have been reduced to those simple statements (number 3 is probably the hardest--until you've been in that sutuation who can tell how you will react). They apply to what ever weapon you chose.

Then practice in a way that simulates what you may incounter "in your home." Slow fire at the 25 yard line will not be your best bet.

Just my two cent worth.

GB

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
There is one flaw in your thinking.. Because you did it "right" you have no clue how "clueless" the untrained are. The manual with your gun, if you even get one when it is used, will give you the basic operation (#2) but little to nothing on how to bring the firearm into action quickly (#1) and ABSOLUTELY nothing on on mental preparedness (#3).

Regardless of what you do, motorcycling, shooting, SCUBA diving..until you teach that skill you have no understanding how clueless people taking up a new skill are.

As far as the stats go...there are no accurate stats because in many cases the use of a firearm in personal defense isn't even reported because no shots are fired. And then go talk to the untrained un-mentally prepared people who did shoot or kill someone like I have and you will see what lack of training and mindset costs these people.

This was posted over on one of the other forums..it is from one of my students who took BP, PPITH and did some followup work. Her older sister did so before her as had their father. Do you think the average "untrained" would have survived...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This woman had some problems with a nutzo ex-boyfriend about 10 years ago so her father, who was one of my students, sent her to take a NRA Personal Protection I was CI for. She also did some 1/1 followup and shoots regularly with her dad... It just paid off...

Hi Bob,
I've been meaning to get in touch with you, but things have been a little crazy around here.
Three weeks ago this coming Monday I was attacked at my apartment. The guy came up from behind me, covered my mouth and put a knife to my throat. He pushed me into my apt and knocked me face down on my kitchen floor. He then preceded to wrap my eyes and mouth in duct tape... He then flipped me over and ducked tape my hands in front of me (thank god.) I fought as hard as I could, but I was no match to this [bleep]. He pulled my pants part way down and gave me a good hit in the gut... at this point he GOT OFF OF ME!! I think he got up to close the door, from what I could hear.With out even thinking about it I was able to get to my ankle holster, pulled my 38, and fired!! I didn't know if I hit him till the next day, which unfortunately I didn't, But it scared that bastard away. I got to my feet and with just barely being able to see ( I could get the duct tape off) I made to my neighbor who cut me loose.
I just want to tell you because between the training I received from my dad AND YOU I was able to save myself. After a few days of trying to calm down I thought of you and knew you'd be proud of me. My nerves are still raw, so I'm staying at dads until XXXXX returns from his tour in 39 days.
So thank you Bob!!! I hope you're proud of me.
Happy New Year!!

Love,
XXXXXXXXX

A gun in the pocketbook would have done her little good... She carries 24/7 in and out of the house and has a survivors mindset....do you?

Bob Makowski

As to the little old lady with the .38...I have seen the same stories but do not remember any where the BG was also armed with a gun... Usually it was a piss-in-his-pants burglar who got caught by granny...

Bob

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
She carries 24/7 in and out of the house and has a survivors mindset....do you?

Bob Makowski

Excellent post. I think this type of traing is more important than the type of weapon you choose.

GB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do you think the average "untrained" would have survived...

Unless part of your training was taping her up, pulling her pants down, and punching her in the gut, I'm not seeing the relevance of training in this event, but maybe that's just me.

You piss off a person with a gun, they're apt to use it. That she did, and good for her.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
You make a good point. She was certainly better off with the ankle holster than carrying in the purse, and if she picked that up due to your training, it was certainly your training that saved her. It still doesn't contradict what I said, though, since that situation likely falls in the narrow ends of the normal curve for armed civilian encounters with bad guys. In her specific case, though, your training made a huge difference for her. I have no problem agreeing with you on that.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
...you are correct...you are not seeing. This girl was trained and as such she had the knowledge, skills and attitude to adapt to her situation, stay calm, look for the opening and act. She was prepared mentally and equipmant wise...

Bob

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I can only take credit for training her how to shoot and how to think offensively. The ankle holster was her idea and I had no clue that is how she had decided to carry. Since the time I trained her I would only run into her at the club once or twice a year practicing with her dad. The last time was maybe 5 months before the attack.

As to this kind of attack being rare..I worked no less that 5 like this over the years especially when I worked in Dallas. You just don't hear about them.

Bob

ps...I didn't change her original letter to me and there is one word left out, she could "not" get the duct tape off her eyes...

Last edited by RJM52; 09/21/09.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Kev..,

I've seen several references to Glock .22 coversion units but have never seen an ad for them. Who makes them?

O

Too old to suffer fools
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Advantage Arms makes the best one...Ceinder also does but the fixed sights are machined into the slide and are not adjustable.

Bob

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...you are correct...you are not seeing. ...

Bob

Here's what I do see; somebody with something to sell, who's convinced himself that absolutely everyone has to buy it.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
..sorry...but all my lessons are "FREE". It not only costs me money to put on a PPITH Course but it does the other 20 NRA Certified Instructors who help put on the courses at Major Waldrons Sportsmens Association. www.majorwaldron.com The $60.00 fee for the class goes to the club to put on the course. After expenses we make maybe $20.00 per student to keep the club going. The instructors, some of them living almost 100 miles away, pay for the privilage of helping new shooters lean to do what all these instructors love to do...shoot.

If you bother to go over to the website and click on course, click on Tactical Practice/Survivor Series. I have been putting that on since 1991 to keep peoples tactical shooting skills sharp. The cost $5.00 for club mambers and $7.00 for non-members...all money goes to the club for targets, heat, lights and new backers for the indoor range.. It costs me a gallon of diesel fuel round trip to the range..

You want 1/1 lessons...costs you NOTHING. Most people buy me lunch.

Don't believe me...check with Campfire members RGS or Firearms44. Firearms44 joined MWs this year and helped out on his first Basic Pistol class this last two weekends..he paid for that privilage.

So exactly what am I selling... What I am trying to do is keep people alive and out of trouble.

Bob Makowski

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Wow! I got charged $20.00 per hour, and that was in 1980 dollars.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I saw a guy at the gun show last week....$50.00 an hour for 1/1 and $75.00 for 1/2.... I don't have a lot of money...but I have a lot of friends...

Bob

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Advantage Arms makes the best one...Ceinder also does but the fixed sights are machined into the slide and are not adjustable.

Bob

RJM..,

Thanks. Just bought a G20, first Glock. The fact that they are so modular was very appealing. Just started checking around for accessories but had never seen a .22 conversion anywhere. Will check out Advantage Arms.

O

Too old to suffer fools
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
..sorry...but all my lessons are "FREE". It not only costs me money to put on a PPITH Course but it does the other 20 NRA Certified Instructors who help put on the courses at Major Waldrons Sportsmens Association. www.majorwaldron.com The $60.00 fee for the class goes to the club to put on the course. After expenses we make maybe $20.00 per student to keep the club going. The instructors, some of them living almost 100 miles away, pay for the privilage of helping new shooters lean to do what all these instructors love to do...shoot.

If you bother to go over to the website and click on course, click on Tactical Practice/Survivor Series. I have been putting that on since 1991 to keep peoples tactical shooting skills sharp. The cost $5.00 for club mambers and $7.00 for non-members...all money goes to the club for targets, heat, lights and new backers for the indoor range.. It costs me a gallon of diesel fuel round trip to the range..

Don't believe me...check with Campfire members RGS or Firearms44. Firearms44 joined MWs this year and helped out on his first Basic Pistol class this last two weekends..he paid for that privilage.

So exactly what am I selling... What I am trying to do is keep people alive and out of trouble.

Bob Makowski

You can take what I said literally, or you can take it figuratively, one way or the other, it applies.

But I don't think you're really paying attention to the other side of the discussion, so I won't waste either of our's time..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ceiner makes a good conversion unit, but the man is a first class arse.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Just some random thoughts regarding Rather's first post. Glock makes a good simple to use pistol and Blachawk makes a good simple to use holster that protects the trigger. The 9mm is a reasonable self defense round, with proper ammo, and easy for a woman to shoot. Seems like a good over all solution to part of the problem.

The first thought always seems to be a handgun, but there are other factors to consider when home invasion is the topic. A good shotgun. A M37 tench gun under the bed in my case. Deadlock bolts on every door. My front door has an electronic keypad, so a 'bump key' won't work.

But, in my view, the biggest deterent to home invasion is a BIG DOG. I'd rather have a $500 Rott than a $5000 buglar alarm. Most scurvey necks don't like dealing with a dog. Even SWAT & SOG teams have a guy dedicated to taking out the guard dog.

Rotts and Dobes have gotten the rap as being 'assualt dogs' and insurance companies sometimes will not insure you if you own one. After my last Rott I gave it thought and came up with a good solution. The original junk yard dog. An Airedale.
Cute,fuzzy,lighting fast and, with a mouth full of teeth, fearless in a fight. All 70 pounds of her sleeps at the foot of my bed. She can hear a bug smile in the dark at 100yds. Enough warning to wake up and get armed.

O

Too old to suffer fools
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Outcast, you are hitting on some of the basics of security. When I was doing executive protection there were 4 pillars of security that we worked towards in every situation.

Deter
Detect
Delay
Respond

In that order.

A dog can be an integral part of all four of those. You deter by having a big dog in your yard. Or having security lights on a motion sensor, keeping irregular hours (or having inside lights on a timer). You detect by having a dog bark, having a motion sensor set off an alarm or security lighting etc. You delay by having rose bushes under your windows, or excellent locks on all the doors and windows. You respond by sending your dog out to use the bad guy as a chew toy, or arming yourself, calling the police, or moving to a safe room. But you�re most certainly on the right track.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by OUTCAST
Just some random thoughts regarding Rather's first post. Glock makes a good simple to use pistol and Blachawk makes a good simple to use holster that protects the trigger. The 9mm is a reasonable self defense round, with proper ammo, and easy for a woman to shoot. Seems like a good over all solution to part of the problem.

The first thought always seems to be a handgun, but there are other factors to consider when home invasion is the topic. A good shotgun. A M37 tench gun under the bed in my case. Deadlock bolts on every door. My front door has an electronic keypad, so a 'bump key' won't work.

But, in my view, the biggest deterent to home invasion is a BIG DOG. I'd rather have a $500 Rott than a $5000 buglar alarm. Most scurvey necks don't like dealing with a dog. Even SWAT & SOG teams have a guy dedicated to taking out the guard dog.

Rotts and Dobes have gotten the rap as being 'assualt dogs' and insurance companies sometimes will not insure you if you own one. After my last Rott I gave it thought and came up with a good solution. The original junk yard dog. An Airedale.
Cute,fuzzy,lighting fast and, with a mouth full of teeth, fearless in a fight. All 70 pounds of her sleeps at the foot of my bed. She can hear a bug smile in the dark at 100yds. Enough warning to wake up and get armed.

O

I agree about dogs. Since I was six, I have never lived in a home that did not contain at least one dog that would scare a burglar (German Shepherds, Dobermans, Pitbulls). In all that time, houses to the right and houses to the left have been victims of burglary, most with expensive alarm systems but no scary looking dogs, while no house I've ever lived in has been. That's not likely a coincidence.

When career burglars are surveyed in prison about which breeds would be most likely to cause them to choose a different house, the two top breeds were 1) Pitbulls, and 2) Doberman Pinschers, not giant breeds. German Shepherds and Rotties made up third and fourth.

Currently, I have a Pitbull. The vast majority of burglars are black (just a statistical fact, not at all meaning to suggest that it's somehow racially determined), and I've noticed that black folks tend, of all breeds (for whatever reason), to be by far most afraid of Pitbulls. Terrified is not an exaggeration. I figure, therefore, that's a good choice considering the demographic stats on burglars, if you want to keep your stuff unstolen by burglars.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
We are all gun guys here and the first thought is,"What kinda gun." But there's more to think about than that. Human trash seems to have a real dislike for big dogs with big teeth. Advantage one. Plus I never saw a dog that couldn't hear better than me. Advantage two. When I can go to sleep, I sleep like the dead. It's comforting to know there's 70lbs of fuzzy at the foot of my bed that will let me and everyone else know she's upset.

O

Too old to suffer fools
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
...The conversation always gets lost in egos. Some who advocate the revolver, and have a personal distaste for the Glock tell you, "if you get Glock--buy a 22 conversion kit so you can practise." That's condesending crap...

No it's not.

With the revolver, you can start with soft (and cheaper) loads for familiarization and practice and the gun will function. You can even easily build loads for indoor practice (plastic or wax rounds) and the gun will function. Not so with the Glock or any centerfire auto that is set up to function with full-power loads. And I routinely suggest a .22lr understudy for a revolver when people can afford it.

I usually start out new shooters on a .22lr revolver and move up to .38spl these days - but there was a time here (before I had a .22 handgun) when starting meant soft-loaded wadcutters in a .357 magnum revolver. You just can't do that reliably with an auto unless it's set up for it - then you have to change the set up to use full-power ammo for defense, if you care about the gun anyway.

I don't care for Glocks personally, that's right - but they are functional and reliable guns. My preference in pistols runs to 1911 style guns. Unlike others here, I don't believe it is impossible or even unlikely that a new shooter can be started successfully on a semi-auto (because I've done that too, with good results). For those who want to do so with a 1911, I suggest either a similar functioning .22lr understudy or a .22lr conversion kit.

Nothing condescending about it. Just being practical.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
...The conversation always gets lost in egos. Some who advocate the revolver, and have a personal distaste for the Glock tell you, "if you get Glock--buy a 22 conversion kit so you can practise." That's condesending crap...

No it's not.

With the revolver, you can start with soft (and cheaper) loads for familiarization and practice and the gun will function. You can even easily build loads for indoor practice (plastic or wax rounds) and the gun will function. Not so with the Glock or any centerfire auto that is set up to function with full-power loads. And I routinely suggest a .22lr understudy for a revolver when people can afford it.

I usually start out new shooters on a .22lr revolver and move up to .38spl these days - but there was a time here (before I had a .22 handgun) when starting meant soft-loaded wadcutters in a .357 magnum revolver. You just can't do that reliably with an auto unless it's set up for it - then you have to change the set up to use full-power ammo for defense, if you care about the gun anyway.

I don't care for Glocks personally, that's right - but they are functional and reliable guns. My preference in pistols runs to 1911 style guns. Unlike others here, I don't believe it is impossible or even unlikely that a new shooter can be started successfully on a semi-auto (because I've done that too, with good results). For those who want to do so with a 1911, I suggest either a similar functioning .22lr understudy or a .22lr conversion kit.

Other than shooting .22s, 9mm rounds @ $20 per hundred is inexpesive ammo.
The guy is buying a weapon. He did not say that he reloaded. Even if he did reload, he would not see a substancial cost savings in loading reduced power revolver rounds when compaired to factory loaded 9mm.
In addition, a 9mm is not hard to master. A local shooting range uses a Glock 19 to teach first time shooters. He starts off with one bullet in the mag and then progresses. Laddies are not all unintelligent beings that require more supervison than males to safely handle a weapon. Even a first time shooter can safely handle an auto with only one bullet in the mag. One bullet in the mag makes it a single shot for crying out loud! In fact, my wife has better eye hand cordination than I do. In just a few range sessions, she was shooting safely, confidently, and accurately, building from one then two then three, then eventually a fully loaded magazine.
In my 1911, I reload lead that shoots to as close as possibe to POA as my self defense ammo. Why would I practice differently with any other caliber or type of weapon.
If one is practicing for self defence, pratice for self defence. If one is merely plinking--plink away.
Mussel memory takes over in any critical situation. Unless you plan to shoot 22 in a self defense situation--practice with something that more resembles self defense ammo. Don't worry, unlike your suggestion concering full power loads in you 357, your 9mm glock can take day in and day out shooting full power ammo for a loooong time.

GB

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Ladies are not all unintelligent beings that require more supervison than males to safely handle a weapon.
Do you really expect us to believe that?? laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For the untrained forget the Glock go with the Ruger Judge for home defense. It's simple and you can run either 410 shotgun shells and/or 45 Long Colt through it. A 410 Shell with four or five Buckshot pellets in it gives you higher percentage of doing some damage than a single piece of lead.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

No it's not.

Other than shooting .22s, 9mm rounds @ $20 per hundred is inexpesive ammo.
The guy is buying a weapon. He did not say that he reloaded. Even if he did reload, he would not see a substancial cost savings in loading reduced power revolver rounds when compaired to factory loaded 9mm.
In addition, a 9mm is not hard to master. A local shooting range uses a Glock 19 to teach first time shooters. He starts off with one bullet in the mag and then progresses. Laddies are not all unintelligent beings that require more supervison than males to safely handle a weapon. Even a first time shooter can safely handle an auto with only one bullet in the mag. One bullet in the mag makes it a single shot for crying out loud! In fact, my wife has better eye hand cordination than I do. In just a few range sessions, she was shooting safely, confidently, and accurately, building from one then two then three, then eventually a fully loaded magazine.
In my 1911, I reload lead that shoots to as close as possibe to POA as my self defense ammo. Why would I practice differently with any other caliber or type of weapon.
If one is practicing for self defence, pratice for self defence. If one is merely plinking--plink away.
Mussel memory takes over in any critical situation. Unless you plan to shoot 22 in a self defense situation--practice with something that more resembles self defense ammo. Don't worry, unlike your suggestion concering full power loads in you 357, your 9mm glock can take day in and day out shooting full power ammo for a loooong time.

GB

GeorgiaBoy - that "whifff" you heard was my point doing a low flight right over your head. Maybe your ego wouldn't let you grasp it.

I never said that I expect the OP to be a reloader. Soft-ball loads are available everywhere (normally) at a lower price than standard loads, and the plastic bullet practice loads can be loaded literally by hand with no equipment. But nevermind that...

You claimed that suggesting for someone (a new shooter) to buy 22 conversion kit for their Glock to use for practice is "condescending crap". I say it is not, and offer that I suggest almost the same thing for a revolver.

Nothing breeds familiarity like lots of shooting, and at $20 a hundred (your figure) even cheap 9mm is more than five times the expense of bulk .22lr. I have seen plenty of new shooters (none that I trained) that showed evidence of serious flinching that they never could get around because they started on a full-power centerfire - 9mm included - that would have benefited greatly if they had been started on .22lr and trained with it until they were comfortable and then moved up.

Once past that step, nothing beats training with the ammo you will carry - although I would argue that few of us can afford to do that to the extent that many of us do with .22lr. I do both, and that's what I think is best. Shooting a lot is always a good thing. I can shoot a lot more by using .22lr for the bulk of it. If you want to limit yourself to what you can afford with centerfire, so be it.

But suggesting a .22lr conversion is not condescending crap.

Amazing how you Glock guys come unglued when someone suggests that there is a better way than simply buying a G-whatever and commencing to shoot. With or without training, the Glock is not the "be-all" or "end-all". It's a tool with advantages and limitations, and that's all.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by W7ACT
For the untrained forget the Glock go with the Ruger Judge for home defense.

I'm sure it was just a simple mistake, but for the sake of the reader who might not know - the "Judge" is made by Taurus.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ladies are not all unintelligent beings that require more supervison than males to safely handle a weapon.
Do you really expect us to believe that?? laugh

OBTW - I forgot to address that. GB - you insinuated that we are all thinking about accommodating female shooters with the 22 or a revolver. That is far from accurate. I've seen more male shooters with bad gun-handling habits and flinches due to lack of or improper training than females - and by a wide margin, percentage-wise. These same guys would benefit greatly (if you could get them to admit a problem) from some training and extended sessions with a .22lr. If it's me doing the training (and I don't intend to train anyone in anything more advanced) they are going to be shooting a lot of .22lr, because it's cheaper and easier for them and/or me. I won't move them into anything with more power until they master the .22 - I don't care what sex they are. If they insist on skipping past that step, they're on their own.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FreeMe,

To reinforce your point even further, the next best thing to scads of cheap .22 practice ammo is even cheaper yet - dry firing.

Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG
FreeMe,

To reinforce your point even further, the next best thing to scads of cheap .22 practice ammo is even cheaper yet - dry firing.

Yep. We all could probably benefit from dry-firing more than we are likely to do. It just gets boring after a while, y'know. wink

When I train someone new, dry-fire comes before rimfire, and rimfire comes before centerfire. But you knew that.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've seen more male shooters with bad gun-handling habits and flinches due to lack of or improper training than females - and by a wide margin, percentage-wise.

I agree again, Dang, you're just no fun.

Men with bad gun handling habits usually get there by thinking the Y chromosome automatically grants them talent with a firearm. They don't listen, and they mimic what they see on TV - style over substance.

Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG
I've seen more male shooters with bad gun-handling habits and flinches due to lack of or improper training than females - and by a wide margin, percentage-wise.

I agree again, Dang, you're just no fun.

Men with bad gun handling habits usually get there by thinking the Y chromosome automatically grants them talent with a firearm. They don't listen, and they mimic what they see on TV - style over substance.

Yeah, I know what you mean, JOG - but I was mostly thinking of poor trigger control, grip, etc. The TV stuff is really easy to spot - and we see plenty of it, eh?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JOG
FreeMe,

Yep. Might even be more important.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG
FreeMe,

Yep. Might even be more important.

Another mark against the Glock (just to twist yer nips). It's more of a bother to reset the trigger for dry-firing with a Glock than with a 1911 or similar or with a revolver. smirk laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not enough to make a difference. Just a quick pull back on the slide, and you're good to go.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
For general home defense, across the board there is nothing more reliable than a wheelgun.

They alway go bang when you pull the trigger and the combination of heftier weight and moderate calibers makes them easy to learn and actually use

For a battle gun, the Glock is superior to the 1911, sorry 1911 fans.

I love the 1911, but it's kinda specialized, yes on average a good one is probably twice as accurate as your std Glock but cosidering that we arent talking punching paper the difference is meaningless.

My most recent 1911 acquisition is a Kimber TLE and I love it, had to do a little trigger work but overall a very satifying highly accurate gun.

Just because the PDs have switched over to semi autos doesnt mean that equates to the best solution for home defense pistol.

I personally dont care that some call the Glock tactical tupperware or whatever, they simply work.

I have a Glock .40 model 22 that I used to use in action pistol competiton that has at least 25k through it. All I had to replace was the recoil rod assy because I broke it when I tried to field strip it too hurridly, that was MY fault not the fault of the gun.

Glocks point naturally, fit a lot of people's hand [with or without a Hogue grip] and have a soft recoil signature because of the plastic handle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RatherBHuntin,

So, how are you enjoying your Glock? wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It was, I was even looking at the Taurus Web page as I typed it.

blush

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not enough to make a difference. Just a quick pull back on the slide, and you're good to go.

But you gotta use two hands to do it! laugh

You know I'm just messin' now, eh? wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mossberg 12 ga. Persuader with a pistol grip, #1 Buck.

MM

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
In reading everything down to here, I have to agree with several points.

1.) From Jim in Idaho
Best advice I've seen so far is to get what you and your wife are comfortable with, not what pleases someone else's personal preference. Don't let yourself be swayed too much by all of the hair splitting here.

2.) From Tod
Why not a shotgun?

With a handgun, you can use it effectively with only one hand. This leaves the other free to dial the phone, lock the door, use the flashlight, etc. It is also much harder to wrestle a handgun away from someone than it is a shotgun. And at indoor ranges the pattern of a shotgun is small, making it no more likely to hit.

3.) I think that both The Real Hawkeye and RJM52 are right. One basically says having a gun prevents the crime, the other says that proper training is crucial. Pertaining to home invasions, I lump the bad guys into 2 categories.

The first group, which comprises the majority of encounters (and therefore stats), is where the bad guy either thinks that no one is home or thinks that they've found any easy mark (elderly couple/ single female/ etc). When the homeowner presents a gun, they either run or comply.

The other group knows that someone is home and is ready & willing to take their chances. Who knows their motivation? Maybe they're high, performing an initiation to join a gang, there to take revenge on an ex, or just desperate for what you have. Whatever the reason, with this group you better have a clue what you're doing and the more training the better because you're going to need every bit of it.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
You presented a cartoonish version of what I said. The more training you have the better. I only object to the claim that one hears so often that if you have not completed one of these courses, you cannot possibly be prepared or able to defend yourself against crime. Regular Americans have been using their personal firearms to capably defend themselves, their families, and their property, against miscreants of all stripes since the founding of our nation and before.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can see right off that not many at all have ever had to deal with a home invader or ever been awaken at 3 o'clock in the morning after being at a party during the night.

Now the noise wakes you up and you reach for your glasses and pistol at the same time, only the glasses get knocked off the nightstand and you hear the invader coming up the steps. Now tell me you want a pistol in your hands instead of a 12ga pump shotgun!!!

I have a shotgun near my side (590 Mossberg cly choke) that has ghost ring sights on the gun. I keep it loaded with #6's and I can assure it will knock any invader down for the count at 40ft. It also will not be as likely to shoot through the walls of the house like a pistol bullet will. You got any kids that stay in your home? Perhaps an extra guest or Grandmother etc. sleeping in another room! I'll take that pumpgun any day over any of the pistols in my collection period.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tonk - no argument from me about the effectiveness of a shotgun and it's lesser danger of wall penetration.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3.htm

But the shotgun doesn't always have the tactical or practical advantage. For some, the shotgun will make more sense, but for others, not so much. The OP asked about pistols. Therefore, most of our answers centered around handguns.

To get more specific, we would have to know all kinds of stuff like sleep habits, layout of the home, manual dexterity, and a bunch of other stuff. Personally - I'd leave it up to the individual to know his own situation and decide which (long gun or handgun) will work best for him.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Now the noise wakes you up and you reach for your glasses and pistol at the same time, only the glasses get knocked off the nightstand and you hear the invader coming up the steps. Now tell me you want a pistol in your hands instead of a 12ga pump shotgun!!!

I want a handgun and a flashlight instead of a 12-gauge shotgun. If I've been partying the guns get locked up.

Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Hope you found your glasses before using that shotgun, BTW.

I really couldn't let this slide. Unlike JOG, I didn't assume right away that "party" would mean "drunk". wink grin But if you're expecting to wipe the nightstand clean in response to a noise, maybe I should make that assumption. I awaken in the middle of the night to a noise all the time (comes with my job). I have no problem picking up the cellphone without knocking everything off the nightstand. Furthermore, I expect my dog to alert me before anyone is close enough to make the time frame that short. If I'm on the ball enough to use a shotgun, I can use a handgun just as well or better.

And, BTW, I see a lot of guys posting about the shotgun's superior effectiveness for home defense, but how many actually practice close range defense shooting and retention with one.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The finest home-defense weapon is a pump shotgun, any gauge but preferably a larger one. End of discussion.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tuco
The finest home-defense weapon is a pump shotgun, any gauge but preferably a larger one. End of discussion.

I'll see your shotgun and raise you a carbine.

http://insightstraining.com/blog/index.php/tag/home-defense/

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I keep it loaded with #6's and I can assure it will knock any invader down for the count at 40ft.

You'll get a lot of folks to bet against you on that:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=109958

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great link, Rufus.

Robert Frost
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Very good Rufus, THANK YOU.

Old cat turd!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Springfield XD's are pretty sweet. Easy to operate, just pick it up and pull the trigger, very reliable, and in my case very accurate. The less you have to think about to operate the gun the better.

`Bring Enough Gun`
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

GB [/quote

GeorgiaBoy - that "whifff" you heard was my point doing a low flight right over your head. Maybe your ego wouldn't let you grasp it.

That "whifff" was not the point going over my head, it was the "whifff" of something else.

I'm not a Glock guy. I have wheel guns, 1911's, and "safe action" type pistols.

If you read the posts prior to my first post, you will notice that the guys who commented, made this statement: "if you buy the Glock--get a 22." No one said if you buy a revolver--get a 22.

I can gather from your post, that you feel that it is advantageous for one to practise with a 22 reguardless of the type of weapon they choose. And that is a fair statement.

My position is that, it no harder to learn how to safely handle and accuratly shoot a Glock, or M&P, or any other striker fired pistol than a revolver. Their triggers are simular enough (in the stroke) to a double action trigger that training with them offers no higher degree of difficulty. One could argue that a striker fired pistol has a double action trigger stroke (though much less smooth)--minus the relvolving cylinder.

GB

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Tuco
The finest home-defense weapon is ...

the one you have and know how to use. I'd rather have a shotgun too, if I am in a house with low light conditions. I don't need 12" of penetration as is recommended by some tactical schools of thought. Right or wrong my thoughts are close-quarters takes into consideration the structure of the human body. It might be best to hit center mass, or at least aim center mass, but if I hit someone in the face with only a handful of pellets I'm likely to blind them. If I hit someone in the neck, again, with only a handful of pellets I'm likely to incapacitate them. My thought is I want a handful of pellets traveling only a few inches in a soft tissue area and I don't care how well they travel 12" through gelatin.

I do believe that 40' if pretty long range for a shotgun, but in my house I'm not likely to be shooting that far. I agree that #6 are likely to do fine in my house and is more likely to hit a target, especially in a low light situation. I don't like the semi-auto rifle idea, not in my house. I've got kids and a very small house. I'd rather have the shotgun. During daylight hours I'd like to use my 1911, but I'm probably better trained with it and likely to hit my mark if I can see it well.

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Before you bet your life on birdshot, read both pages.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3.htm

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

GB

[/quote

That "whifff" was not the point going over my head, it was the "whifff" of something else.

I'm not a Glock guy. I have wheel guns, 1911's, and "safe action" type pistols.

If you read the posts prior to my first post, you will notice that the guys who commented, made this statement: "if you buy the Glock--get a 22." No one said if you buy a revolver--get a 22.

I can gather from your post, that you feel that it is advantageous for one to practise with a 22 reguardless of the type of weapon they choose. And that is a fair statement.

My position is that, it no harder to learn how to safely handle and accuratly shoot a Glock, or M&P, or any other striker fired pistol than a revolver. Their triggers are simular enough (in the stroke) to a double action trigger that training with them offers no higher degree of difficulty. One could argue that a striker fired pistol has a double action trigger stroke (though much less smooth)--minus the relvolving cylinder.

GB

I would be fair to say that I put more importance to the 22 conversion for an auto than a 22 understudy for a revolver also. And of the autos, I think the Glock trigger is one of the more difficult to get comfortable with if you are already a long-time shooter of SA autos or DA revolvers. At least - that's been my experience.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Free Me......Well, my goodman just to let you and others know, I don't drink alcohol or get drunk, perhaps a little tired from ballroom dancing with the wife. Now I drink coffee with several Leo's during the week in my neck of the woods, including the past Sheriff of 30 years.

The idea of using #6 shot in my shotgun for home protectioin, was expained to me by some of these gentlemen. It is far to easy for a member of the house, to become shot by bullets flying through walls or buck shot pellets. I trust these men's words and information!!! My 590 12ga pumpgun has a pistol grip and is very short and easy to move about with in my home. I practice a lot with this shotgun and have been to a couple of training sessions using the shotgun.

Now several years ago, I did have Triple-000 Buck in that pumpgun but some of our local law enforcement had been to a couple of those LEO seminar's and their out look on using Double-00, 000 Buck etc had been changed because of what can happen in homes with drywall for walls.

Now as far as my glasses goes, I can see close up enough to know when my wife is not in the same bed, or walking around the house. However, you can do things your way and I will continue to listen to those that are on call 24/7 and have the education and knowledge to back up their words of wisdom. Now after all, they do this for a living.

I am sorry for the type misprint (40ft) it should have been "30ft" as my hallway in the house is right at 30ft to our masterbed room. Nonetheless, a couple of headshots at 30ft is bond to have a good effect on any home invader. Now try shooting a pumpkin or watermellon at 30ft twice and see what happens next. I rest my case Gents!

Last edited by Tonk; 09/30/09.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Thanks for the shotgun sites...

Tonk...I did 30+ years in LE and PI/Security work and can tell you straight up that 95%+ of the LEOs have little to no clue what they are talking about when it comes to firearms, ballistics or ammunition performance. Many don't even know the brand, grain weight, velocity or expansion characteristics of the ammo they carry let a lone something they have never even fired.

Go read the books from the LEOs who have been there and done that...not the local yocal who has never even has drawn his gun...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven't tried it in years, but I was never too impressed by the amount of #6 shot that was always left behind in 80's/90's era 2 liter soft drink bottles, water filled and not, at short distances.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I can tell you straight up that 95%+ of the people espousing one thing or another haven't been shot. Get shot with #6 and tell me it doesn't put you on your ass, or at least make you stop wanting to fight.

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
RJM....Perhaps 30+ years ago those LEO's didn't know as much as they thought or wished they did but to say that LEO's today don't know what they are talking about is a foolish and untrue statement period. One of those gentlemen worked on the "major case squad" for the last 15 years and I can assure you or anybody else, he certainly knows more about ballistics than any 3 people on this network.

Now for those who have never hunted wild turkey, I can tell you right up front that a #6 pellet from a 12ga turkey load will travel clean through the head of a TOM bird at 32 yards, NOT feet understand. So at 30-FEET I doubt that any invader is going to cause a lot of problems being hit twice in the head from my 590 MOSSBERG PUMPGUN..... Now you can take that to the bank sir!!!

Last edited by Tonk; 09/30/09.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Tonk...I just got out of LE a few years ago..not 30...and I stand by my statement. Your friend may be the exception but anyone who would recommend #6 birdshot for home defense, I wish you luck.

I sent that link to my ex-shooting partner on Dallas PD who was on the TAC Squad for 22 of his 30 years...he was in just a "few" confrontations over the years. He sent back this:

"That was a good read.

It agrees pretty much with what I think about shotguns.
I would never use birdshot for defense, unless that is the only thing I had.

Likewise I do not like #4 Buck for defense, I do like it for a varmint load.

Tac did a buckshot study for the Dept after some rounds of OO buck failed to get enough hits in the body. At first #1 was used, but sometimes penetration was lacking.

Then Single Ought was used. That worked real good. Later they went back to OO, and went with Federal Tactical 00. That stuff had less recoil and grouped very good."

Take it for what it is worth...Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've mentioned this before, but it's worth repeating. The couple-dozen security folks I worked around after Katrina preferred shotguns loaded with slugs for clearing buildings and some type of AR platform for street work.

I asked them about it and they all said they wanted more penetration than shot shells provided. They wanted to be able to shoot through cover that a bad guy is hiding behind, such as chairs, couches, walls, etc. At the time I thought that was a little extreme, but after looking at the link Rufus put up it turns out I was wrong.

For what it's worth, these guys were ex-military and most were active LEO working under temporary contract for one of the big security outfits. A couple were ex-Seals, including the black guy in the photo.

[Linked Image]

Robert Frost
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I noticed that handloading came up. Things may have changed, but the consensus used to be to NOT use handloads in a self-defense pistol; not because of reliability, but in the interests of presenting the best case of non-liability. Off-the-shelf ammo doesn't provide the poor, grieving family of the dead burglar with the ability to argue that the shooter is some type of "gun nut," who "even makes his own bullets" because he's so eager to kill. It's America... anyone can sue anyone, anytime, for any reason... even if they won't win. Don't make it easier.

My place... large lab with a barking disorder... followed by a Ithaca 37 with buck ...then a Sig 220 with Trijcon nightsights, and .45 Hydrashock.

Murphy was an optimist.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Flyfast
I noticed that handloading came up. Things may have changed, but the consensus used to be to NOT use handloads in a self-defense pistol; not because of reliability, but in the interests of presenting the best case of non-liability. Off-the-shelf ammo doesn't provide the poor, grieving family of the dead burglar with the ability to argue that the shooter is some type of "gun nut," who "even makes his own bullets" because he's so eager to kill. It's America... anyone can sue anyone, anytime, for any reason... even if they won't win. Don't make it easier.
That's a myth invented by people who don't understand the law. Part of the law in the United States are the rules of evidence. One rule of evidence is that no testimony, evidence, or argumentation in summation, is permitted to be heard that does not relate to a question legitimately at issue.

In a self defense, or a defense of third parties, claim of lawful justification (where the shooting was intentional, and claimed to be justified), the only question at issue is justification. Evidence tending to show that the defendant was a gun enthusiast doesn't tend to refute a claim of justification, therefore no evidence designed to demonstrate that the defendant was a gun enthusiast would be admissible (Even if, for example, you had a witness who would testify that the defendant enjoyed torturing puppies, and therefore was likely to commit murder, would be inadmissible). You have to restrict your evidence, testimony, argumentation, to facts tending to disprove that the "victim" presented to the defendant what that ordinary prudent person would perceive as an immanent threat to life or limb. You may not deviate from that, or attempt to show that the defendant had murderer-like character in any way.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JOG....I can understand the reason behind using a slug-gun for clearing a house or building with "bad guys" and those slugs will penetrate a whole lot more than 000 or 00 Buck shot.

However, in one's on home, with members of your family in other rooms, it just is NOT wise to use a shotgun with Buck-Shot or Slugs period. I don't give a Tinkers DAMN if I knock down the bad guy or guys and end up shooting through a wall and killing my own grandkids OK. Now just think about that before anyone posts a reply!!!

I know Dog Gone Well, that #6 shot will knock an invader down for the count at 30 feet or less, especially if they are hit twice. You take a watermellon and place it on a table, back off 10 yards and put two #6 shot rounds from a 12 ga pump gun into that mellon and then tell me it is not good enough for home defense.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tonk - take your watermelon and smack it real hard with a 16oz hammer. Makes a big hole in it, right? now have someone do the same to your rib cage (just pretend, if you like). No hole - just a big bruise. Yeah, it hurts (take my word for it) but it doesn't kill you or stop you from doing anything you're determined to do. Point is - you ain't a watermelon, and neither is the guy breaking into your house.

Bad comparison, bro.

I think I'll rely on my ability to apply lead to where I want it and avoid where I don't - with the assurance of good penetration on the intended target. You can't defend your family or even worry about accidentally hitting them if the BG already got you (or them) because you thought you put him down with a shallow flesh wound.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know Dog Gone Well, that #6 shot will knock an invader down for the count at 30 feet or less, especially if they are hit twice. You take a watermellon and place it on a table, back off 10 yards and put two #6 shot rounds from a 12 ga pump gun into that mellon and then tell me it is not good enough for home defense.
My friend, take it from one who has been there and seen it. In 16 years of being a Paramedic, not once have I treated a patient who was shot with buckshot or slugs, every last one was delcared dead at the scene. However, I have never, not once, declared one DOA who was shot with birdshot. And surprisingly, most still had a good deal of fight left in them.

You really need a minimum of 8" of penetration from a sizable projectile, and there is no birdshot that is capable of doing that. #4 buck will do it but the projectile sizes is only .24 which is not what anyone would call sizable; but in my experience, #4 gets the job done if ranges are under 20 yards.

Think about it, #6 has enough energy to kill a 5 lb bird at 20-40 yards; just think on that one.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Flyfast
That's a myth invented by people who don't understand the law. Part of the law in the United States are the rules of evidence. One rule of evidence is that no testimony, evidence, or argumentation in summation, is permitted to be heard that does not relate to a question legitimately at issue.

In a self defense, or a defense of third parties, claim of lawful justification (where the shooting was intentional, and claimed to be justified), the only question at issue is justification. Evidence tending to show that the defendant was a gun enthusiast doesn't tend to refute a claim of justification, therefore no evidence designed to demonstrate that the defendant was a gun enthusiast would be admissible (Even if, for example, you had a witness who would testify that the defendant enjoyed torturing puppies, and therefore was likely to commit murder, would be inadmissible). You have to restrict your evidence, testimony, argumentation, to facts tending to disprove that the "victim" presented to the defendant what that ordinary prudent person would perceive as an immanent threat to life or limb. You may not deviate from that, or attempt to show that the defendant had murderer-like character in any way.

I agree with you in a criminal prosecution scenario; that's why I was discussing civil liability. Self-Defense would be an affirmative defense on which the homeowner has the burden of proof. But a Plaintiff's lawyer would be seeking to to show the homeowner's acts were (1) not reasonable; and (2) that he homeowner did not reasonably fear for his safety. Depending on the law of the state (i.e., Castle Doctrine, Retreat, etc.), and the underlying facts, that might make it to a jury. While the Rules of Evidence exist, the trial judge makes the ruling. Most judges are former DA's, and just about all evidence comes in. The Plaintiff's lawyer would have subpoenaed all your 24HourCampfire postings, and would be able to present those as evidence; hopefully those wouldn't include some of the more "shoot first/ask questions later" thoughts, or the "bring em on, can't wait" postings." Then they introduce into evidence the hand-loading of special rounds. Then they trot out an expert to opine on statistics, point out that even Police don't handload, and another expert to talk about sociopaths who want to kill. If it gets to a jury, then the lawyer gets to argue the "inferences" that arise from the evidence. Then the twelve people who weren't able to get out of jury duty decide whether you owe millions (hopefully, your homeowners insurance is at least paying for your defense; but maybe not, since the shooting was "a result intended by the insured..."

So you get to put on your case; figure $100,000-$150,000 in legal fees, another $20,000-$50,000 for expert witnesses.

Not to be ironic, but you don't want to hand the other side a possible piece of ammunition. One brick is just bick; once they start stacking bricks, it becomes a wall.

Murphy was an optimist.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey Hawk, care to join me in a mock cross examination to see how your hand loaded ammunition holds up in a civil case?

The ammunition will be allowed because the plaintiff wants to prove malicious intent.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I haven't been posting here because I wanted to see where this would go.
A couple of things.
First of all, this whole thing started about defending against home invasions, attacks by BG's, etc.
I've met lots of bad guys. They fall into two groups. Those that don't want to get caught and run the minute they suspect they might be seen or arrested and those that know they are up against people who will see them and are prepared to deal with them.
The first are the ones that just showing them a gun will do fine. The latter are those that are prepared to deal with you and whatever you try to do that will stop them.
The ones in the last group can be burgulars who specialize in hitting occupied homes, rapists, home invaders and stick up men.
Most of them. perhaps as many as 80%, will be at least a little high on something. Most of them will be armed with something. There seems to be a new trend to wear body armor these days. Often they are not alone.
This class of threat is a long way from "waking up in the middle of the night to a burgular" whose got to be very new at it not to know you are home. It's more like they followed you home from shopping and decided to take you down. Or they kicked the door in and in they, not one, comes. In that case, they have some idea that you have something they really want and they picked this time to hit you.
All of this indicates to me that owning a handgun to keep you company at night, especially if you hardly know how to use it, isn't going to do the job. Getting a CCW permit and carrying one, one that you are very familar with, is much more like it. BTW, I dunno about your state, but in liberal Kalifornia there are circumstances where at least you can't be successfully prosecuted even if you carry w/o a permit. Check with your lawyer if this is your situation.
Worrying about civil actions afterwards is something to look forward to. That means you survived. BTW, if you get thrown a bunch of BS by the other side, again, here in liberal old Kalifornia, you can file a counter suit, or cross complaint about the vicious actions of the BG's survivors. If more people did this instead of worrying about using handloads, we'd have to put up with alot less of this.
What I'm suggesting is that if this is a real threat to you, a simple handgun by the bed stand isn't all you need. More like a very comprehensive plan of action to see this threat coming, and deal with them. Or do something else so that you and your's survive. Laugh if you wish. But iron bars on the door at night does work. So do dogs, sensor lights and, of course, guns in the hands of willing, competent people. E

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I worked with a guy who had to kill a fool in his home who had a fatal attraction to the guy's wife. I also worked with his brother, sister, and dad and had gone to school with all of the kids. He shot the would-be suitor in the head with a load of 6 shot at about 15-20 feet. I never talked to the kid who killed the guy about it in any depth, as he was pretty shaken up and weirded out about the whole deal. His dad, who did most of the cleanup, told me it was an unforgetable mess and they were finding little pieces of head and brain for months afterwards.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Well I have to say this has been an interesting read.

I am dirty and tired from a long day here and feel like smacking the keys on my computer with somewhat of a rant in regards to what I have just read. So here we go.

There seems to be some folks here who are absolutely convinced that nothing is better than XXX and anyone who disagrees is a fool.

I find that amusing, especially since the most adamant seem to have zero experience in the actual application.

One of the realities in the buisness of shooting people is that sometimes stuff works, sometimes it doesn't. The term "situational dependant" comes up a lot.

On another note. One guy who did one thing, one time in his leo career is not much for an authoritave example. Nor is one homeowner.

Another point: Personally I am not much of a fan of sending neophytes to local gun ranges for instruction for anything beyond the fundamentals of marksmanship. There always seems to be too many guys who want to be important or an "authority", so they take an NRA instructor course and hang out a shingle as a subject matter expert. The VAST majority of NRA certified instructors have no buisness at all teaching anything beyond subjects such as sight picture and trigger control.

I have listened to these guys tell some very interesting stories and proceed to inform me that what they carry is what real seal/ranger/ninja raiders carry and that they have their finger on the pulse of the "spec op" shooting community. A couple of times I have been at trade/industry shows in the states, or in some local shop at home when I have been cornered by one of these adamant "#6 birdshot/1911/revolver shooting wadcutters" experts.

My friends get frustrated with me for not calling people out as completely full of crap, but frankly most of the times it is not worth it. It has been my experience that sometimes it is best to just grin and nod and walk away.

Here is a compilation of "No Kidding there I was" first hand, after action reviews all rolled up into one.

9MMs always work, except when it did not.
.45s always work, except when it did not.
M4s using green tip always work, except when it did not.
M249 SAWs always work....

I hope by now you are sensing a trend.

Perhaps some should go back and spend some time reflecting on what the OP was initially asking.

It is 11pm here so I am hitting the rack.

Good night guys.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
For six years I investigated hunting accidents in southern wv. Most involved shotguns with hunting loads. Read #5 or #6 shot. I have seen a man killed graveyard dead with #5s. No huge gaping wound, just peppered from clavacle to pelvis. Plus several others who survived but, trust me , had little fight but a lot of misery, left in them. At close range the wounds are horrific, regardless of shot size.

I do not want to shot with a shotgun loaded with jelly beans and you don't either.

O

Too old to suffer fools
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sheesh, Mac, I hope you're not talking about me - I really try to keep my inner ninja in check. wink

Robert Frost
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Free-ME! Now that you mentioned getting hit in the rib cage my good man, I'll let you know that I spent several years doing just that, playing Dixie on the other guys rib cage. I guess you could say I have plenty of experience in the subject.

Now yes a hammer will make a whole in a watermellon if one was to hit it hard enough. I don't know what that has to do with the effects of #6 shot on a watermellon but I do know that if your head gets hit square with 2 shots of a 12ga 3 inch shell, your NOT going to do anything but hit the ground 95% DEAD savvy.

So please don't hand this BS about #6 shot is NO GOOD for home protection at 30 feet or less. I actually have my pump gun loaded with 6's for the first 3 shots and #5's there after. I once saw a guy shoot a crippled horse that broke it's leg. Now his weapon was a double barrel shotgun at 20 feet away and that horse hit the ground like the Hammer Of Thor. I rest my casee and don't need a Navy Seal to tell me what a pump 12 ga can do or can't do, hell I carried one.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
much ado about nada ime

I was waaaaay overdue on handgun training

took a Glock 23 and a Kimber version of Combat Commander to the range this a.m.

at handgun ranges defensible in a court of law you wouldn't have wanted to be a thang, pop can, shotshell box or milk jug, they all danced.

it was fun, hadn't visited the handgun range in a long while, extra bonus of finding about double of the amount of brass I shot up in .45 and .40

the main thing I noticed was I didn't seem as fast as when I shot a lot and often.

I think everyone's first handgun should be a revolver, but quickly move to a Glock afterwards. Save the 1911's for the folks that are serious about handgunning ime.

I'm also a fan of tritium night sights and lasers, have both on most of momma's shooting irons and at least one or the other on most everything else, but not all.

for a woman that you can't get to shoot as often as you'd like I'm a fan of the Glock 22 as I prefer .40 over 9mm, get her a surefire to go in the box with it, equip it with tritium and a laser, I can like cheating when I'm out to win.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by JOG
Sheesh, Mac, I hope you're not talking about me - I really try to keep my inner ninja in check. wink

Ha ha,

Good morning.

Nope JOG,

I was just letting off a bit of steam about some of the sillyness that comes out when subjects like this are posted.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
However, in one's on home, with members of your family in other rooms, it just is NOT wise to use a shotgun with Buck-Shot or Slugs period. I don't give a Tinkers DAMN if I knock down the bad guy or guys and end up shooting through a wall and killing my own grandkids OK. Now just think about that before anyone posts a reply!!!

I won't fire towards a family member or their bedroom no matter what I'm using. A shotgun doesn't give me free reign. There will always be risks, but I know where everyone in my house should be and I know where the safe 'shooting lanes' are. That said, a firearm is just one option. I'm 6'-4" and 235-lbs with extensive boxing experience, basic judo training, and I've donated 13 teeth to the cause of learning how not to be a dumbazz. I keep a kid's baseball bat under the bed - the short length makes it easier to swing in tight places. If my loved ones' lives are on the line, it's the bad guy that needs to be worrying about a one-shot stop.

Sorry, I exposed a little inner ninja. smirk

I plan based on the ideal of having a relatively cool head when things go bad, and honestly judging my history gives some credence to that. There's absolutely no sense in planning for panic. I can happily live the rest of my life without finding out one way or the other.

Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Now yes a hammer will make a whole in a watermellon if one was to hit it hard enough. I don't know what that has to do with the effects of #6 shot on a watermellon but I do know that if your head gets hit square with 2 shots of a 12ga 3 inch shell, your NOT going to do anything but hit the ground 95% DEAD savvy.

The point is that shooting a watermelon has little to do with the effects of anything on anyone's head. I am not one to say that #6 is useless - but I won't agree it's the best choice. Mackay is right. There are no absolutes in this business we are discussing - except that, given a choice, I absolutely refuse to arm myself with something designed to kill birds for defense against humans.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I absolutely refuse to arm myself with something designed to kill birds for defense against humans.

And a crappy job my shotgun does on birds once in a while. I know I'm not missing. I never miss, just ask me...

Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG
I absolutely refuse to arm myself with something designed to kill birds for defense against humans.

And a crappy job my shotgun does on birds once in a while. I know I'm not missing. I never miss, just ask me...

Well, y'know JOG - there's a hole in your pattern...right where that bird's head was. Damn that hole!

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, y'know JOG - there's a hole in your pattern...

Hmmm. I never thought of that. That's a much simpler explanation than the ol' pheasant-phase-warping-interdimensional-space excuse I normally use.

Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG
Well, y'know JOG - there's a hole in your pattern...

Hmmm. I never thought of that. That's a much simpler explanation than the ol' pheasant-phase-warping-interdimensional-space excuse I normally use.

My ninja training learned me to never overlook the obvious. laugh

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Sheesh, I only got to go to the "Charlies Angels" training. Where do I sign up for the ninja school?

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ninja school is only available in the state of mind. cool

Robert Frost
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I prefer to have a hole in my target than the pattern. smile
The Devil made me post that! smile smile

Old cat turd!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Sheesh, I only got to go to the "Charlies Angels" training. Where do I sign up for the ninja school?

Crap! (headslap) There's CHARLIE'S ANGELS TRAINING?!!! shocked cry

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

Old cat turd!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JOG....Sorry Pal! I never took that coarse called Ninja!!! I will only say that maybe I should have got you to give me lessons in the art of self defense, you being a boxer and all.

Yeah, birdshot does spread out a bunch when hunting quail at 25 yards but not at 10, 20 or 30 feet guys. It makes a nice 6-inch hole in a door at that range or less.

Hey JOG, I guess you must have been a contender hey? Well, one thing is for sure, YOU must have gotten hit a lot right, to loose 13 friggin teeth Ole Boy. I always seemed to do a very good job at avoiding the other guys fists.

Now tell me, did you ever make any MONEY with your expertise in Ninja? So much for Ninja's dressed in black, do they carry pistols as well?

Last edited by Tonk; 10/05/09.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Hamming it up in our best Charlies Angels pose:

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

62 members (anothergun, 10gaugemag, Alan_Robertson, 7mm_Loco, 8 invisible), 1,398 guests, and 673 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,636
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.