Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Due to an increase in home invasions in east central Alabama, I'm looking at getting a home defense pistol. I have a wife and two kids (10,4). I intend to keep it in a quick access safe, by the bed. I'm considering a Glock 9mm with a crimson trace sight. If my wife had to access it, I don't want her trying to access a safety or not be able to shoot it because the safety is on. I also don't want something that will jamm frequently. Consequently, I am considering a Glock 9mm. I am no handgun expert, so how about some feedback from the more experienced handgun shooters. Thanks. rbh

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Just kinda hard to beat a Glock.
Laser grips are to the taste of the owner.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I cannot bring myself to recommend a Glock. Yes, they're reliable, but the Glock was made as a compromise weapon from scratch. It has a lousy trigger that's hard to master. Why not just go with an old reliable double action revolver like a S&W Model 10?
[Linked Image]

With modern designed +p loads out of a four inch barrel, it's hard to beat for home defense. Simplicity itself. And it's a classic, so it will inspire pride in ownership and make you want to go out and shoot it a lot. Get real good with it. Make you deadly.

Or, along similar lines, a nice Colt Police Positive.
[Linked Image]

Attached Images
S&W Mod 10.JPG (95.37 KB, 1374 downloads)
Police Positive.JPG (35.58 KB, 1301 downloads)
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Laser sights have their fans and detractors, I'm in the latter group. Even most of the fans would say a set of tritium sights and the proper use of a flashlight are more important, with the laser added as insurance.

In my opinion, the 9mm Glock 19 is the all-round best Glock for self defense.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
[bleep] the laser grips.

Get a Glock with the rail underneath, put a decent light on there, and set it on the nightstand. I have a G20 that has the light underneath, and shoot it PLENTY well. The wife shoots it fine, and asks that it stay home when I go out into the woods (the light is a WONDERFUL thing, esp. with 15 rounds on tap).

IC B2

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I prefer a separate flashlight. If I need to ID a target I don't want to have to point the muzzle at it to do so. Heck, it might be my wife coming home drunk from the bar. wink

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
You might also check out the Springfield XD line. They point better than the Glocks. Either one would be a good choice.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I�m not the hugest fan of the Glock, but I really can�t fault your line of thinking. To the contrary of my brethren on this forum, I have trained extensively with the Crimson Trace laser grip and have a strong preference for it on a defensive pistol. With the laser grip, you must treat it as an adjunct to your pistol, rather than a replacement for traditional training. Tritium night sights would be first and then the laser grip; if you can afford both you�re in good shape. The thing about the laser grips though is the training, you have to train in their use extensively to really know when to use them and when not to use them.

As for the Glock, the 19 is by far my favorite. Just don�t skimp on training and I would recommend a .22 conversion unit to further augment your training.

Simply arming yourself is not enough, and can actually make the situation worse if you don�t train and educate yourself. Start by picking up a copy of Massad Ayoob�s In The Gravest Extreme: http://www.amazon.com/Gravest-Extre...mp;s=books&qid=1252675053&sr=1-1 It�s a bit dated, but it�s still the best basic education I�ve seen.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I guess I'm the last of the dinosaurs here at the fire.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm with TRH about Glocks, at least for novices. I think of them as cocked and unlocked single action autos, an expert's gun. For use by multiple people, including those who do not have a lot of experience with handguns, I prefer something with a more traditional DA trigger and no external mechanical safety. That category includes all modern revolvers and numerous semi-autos, including Sig DAKs, Beretta and Smith DAOs, Kel-Tecs, and probably some others of which I am not aware. I am in a minority on this point, so YMMV.

P.S. As for Laser Sights, I can live without them. I would prefer a rail and a rail light.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 09/11/09. Reason: Add P.S.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

I guess not, considering my last post. smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Since you have the 4 & 10 y/o around I would be sure to keep it locked away from them(& friends that may come by). Depending on the wife's familiarity you would want a 'grab & go' gun. This points to a D/A revolver & similar semi-auto. The Glock 19 9mm would do the trick. I wouldn't worry to much about laser sights & weapon mounted lights. I'd get some range time for you & the wife, store it safely & you should be ready.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
I�m not the hugest fan of the Glock, but I really can�t fault your line of thinking. To the contrary of my brethren on this forum, I have trained extensively with the Crimson Trace laser grip and have a strong preference for it on a defensive pistol. With the laser grip, you must treat it as an adjunct to your pistol, rather than a replacement for traditional training. Tritium night sights would be first and then the laser grip; if you can afford both you�re in good shape. The thing about the laser grips though is the training, you have to train in their use extensively to really know when to use them and when not to use them.

I don't disagree with your progression, but you've been shooting handguns for a long time. Your first nightstand pistol was, like, 1950? wink

If a guy is going to train a lot of time should be spent up front using the regular sights. A laser is not a 'fix' for basic gun handling skills and will often slow new shooters down without adding any accuracy.

Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Simply arming yourself is not enough, and can actually make the situation worse if you don�t train and educate yourself.

We could argue about that. Most shooters have little or no training, and the need for more would be manifested in numerous failed self defense attempts. Reality is quite the opposite.

Robert Frost
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't overlook the Steyr M9A1. That is what I keep in my bed safe. I installed an under the barrel laser. The Steyr design is from Austria, same as the Glock, at about 2/3 of the price. I like the ergonomics better than my Glock. No bells or whistles, either. Just pull the trigger. My electronic bed safe is from Sportsman Guide for $30. Good luck.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've got two 10mm Glocks, a 20 and a 29. Both have the conversion barrels to make them .40's (cheaper and more available brass/ammo for practice) as well as a .22 conversion for the 20 for practicing sight picture/trigger.

I have to "sort of" disagree with the revolver guys because of the trigger. The long DA trigger of a revolver is not something everybody can shoot well. This can be more evident with women. I've seen some women/youngsters kinda struggle with a long and heavy DA trigger. I've got a Redhawk revolver and I gotta admit it's a very weird thing to go from my Glocks to the 'Hawk.

Anyway, not knocking revolvers since I've got one and like it but having shot both I would 100 times out of 100 prefer one of my Glocks to a revolver in a SD scenario. (well, other than a charging bear, when I think I'd prefer the .44)

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
If you, and more importantly your wife, are going to take the time and expense to become proficient with a handgun, great. Skip the 9mm and get a .357, .40, or a .45. Tritiums are a must and I do like CTC laser grips. Be sure she can pull the slide back easily. My wife can't chamber a round in my 10mm Glock or 1911 with a heavy spring without effort and too much thought and fiddling.

If you don't believe you or your wife would become capable handgun shooters, get a shotgun.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can take a total newbie female and have her hitting center mass of an IPSC target at 7-10 yards with a revolver in less than an hour. I prefer Smith triggers to Ruger triggers, though, for the reason you mentioned.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by croldfort
Don't overlook the Steyr M9A1. That is what I keep in my bed safe. I installed an under the barrel laser. The Steyr design is from Austria, same as the Glock, at about 2/3 of the price. I like the ergonomics better than my Glock. No bells or whistles, either. Just pull the trigger. My electronic bed safe is from Sportsman Guide for $30. Good luck.
Never owned one, but have always liked the design. When I worked part time in a local gun shop back in the 1990s, we had one in stock, and I fooled around with it a lot. The most naturally pointing auto pistol that's ever been in my hands. Always intended to pick one up, but just never got around to it.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by guyandarifle
I've got two 10mm Glocks, a 20 and a 29. Both have the conversion barrels to make them .40's (cheaper and more available brass/ammo for practice) as well as a .22 conversion for the 20 for practicing sight picture/trigger.

I have to "sort of" disagree with the revolver guys because of the trigger. The long DA trigger of a revolver is not something everybody can shoot well. This can be more evident with women. I've seen some women/youngsters kinda struggle with a long and heavy DA trigger. I've got a Redhawk revolver and I gotta admit it's a very weird thing to go from my Glocks to the 'Hawk.

Anyway, not knocking revolvers since I've got one and like it but having shot both I would 100 times out of 100 prefer one of my Glocks to a revolver in a SD scenario. (well, other than a charging bear, when I think I'd prefer the .44)
I've owned several Glocks, and I've owned lots more revolvers. No contest in my book. A good revolver in double action mode wins hands down in every respect.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Yeah, but everyone likes dinosaurs. Hey, if HE wants a Glock, doesn't mean WE have to take Tupperware to a gunfight wink

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 222ND, 67 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,674
Posts18,513,231
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.