-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Beautiful Dog there barnold1. Looks just like my cousin's Aussie & she's one hell of a working dog with his cow critters.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hey gang,

Thanks a ton for the response. It seems the labs are the majority. I thought it would have been the golden.
Anyways Ron asked about lifestyle and making the dog fit into it. That is a good point so I will share the important parts of that that I think will affect the dog.

We both work and the kids go to my inlaws. So if the dog doesn't go along, then he/she will be left alone for up to 7 hours a day. With a small break towards the end cuz my mom could stop by and check on it. I leave to work at 0430 and don't get back till 1600 sometimes 1700 (4 or 5 pm). The wife leaves to work at 1000. So that alone time worries me since it will be for 3 times a week. my mom could stop by on her way home about 1500, but that still means 5 hours alone.
All the other times we are home unless we are shopping or out on vacation or something.
If the puppy went to my inlaws during the day, I am wondering how that would affect the dog? They have a little GWBush type of dog little black annoying thing and a jack russell.

We have a 5 year old and 1 year old. The little one is the trouble one and would make the poor dogs life a hell if the pup is not patient.

We have a big backyard compared to others in my neighborhood and I got the shade trees growing. We have a nice sized patio as well that is covered. I am hoping the pup will be more of an indoor dog thatn outdoor dog, but that will depend on it.
We have about a 4 or 5 foot wall. We get quail and dove in the yard regularly and kinda hard for anything else to get in our yard since it is elevated from the street.

I love dogs and want it to be my hunting buddy as much as my family dog, but at the same time, I don't want to take it away from the family too much either.

it gets hot in AZ so they should be somewhat able to handle the heat for a few hours if needed.

Most of all it should be loyal and willing to notify us of unwanted guests. But at the same time not bark like crazy when the door bell rings like those stupid mutts at my inlaws. It just gets annoying hearing them bark for everything.

Anyways I think thats about it that I am concerned about, but if anyone has any questions that will help this discussion, I am all ears.
And Thanks again for the big help.

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Go to the pound.

Find a mutt.

Actually, let it find you.

Done.

I agree.....I never had much luck with any purebred dog...but then again I have never owned a Lab.

My best dog pal is a medium sized mutt from the Reno dog pound, she is getting to be around 13 years old now. Almost ready for cataract surgery (so am I!)

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
A lab... be aware though that they shed more fur than seems possible and pass "silent death" gas... but still, a lab

Lab.

Get one of them hair-removing combs and feed the dog gas tablets and you'll be GTG.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Count me as another fan of the lab for an all around family dog. As someone else said, the 30-06 of dogs. Puppyhood will last about 2 years, and you can count on loosing shoes, socks, just about anything up to and including trim from the side of your house to the chewing. Work through it and remember the number one rule of puppies: a tired puppy is a good puppy.

Since you live in Arizona, I'd advise a smaller lab with as short a coat as possible and probably a yellow one to boot.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Aussies have been the best family dogs I've ever had. Depending on the dog, they can have a lot of energy, but not nearly as hyper as border collies, and alot more kid friendly than heelers. As long as you have a big yard and time in the evenings to show it affection I doubt you'd regret it. I've got 2 right now, one is my daughter's and the other one we've had since before we had the kids. Never known a better dog. But they aren't a dog you can lock up in the house all day every day, they need to stretch their legs.

Just my experience, but I've never been a big fan of labs. I tend to appreciate a dog with more intelligence.

Forgot to add, the only time my older aussie ever even curled his lip at one of my kids, it was because he had a small half circle of teeth marks in his ear, and my boy had dog hair between his teeth. What on this earth prompted the little bugger to bite the dogs ear I'll never know, but he didn't do it again, and I'll be retelling that story for many years to come. That dog slept with the kids, cleaned faces and hands, and was a fuzzy jungle gym for them when they were babies. I can talk to that dog conversationally and I know he understands me. It'll be a bad bad day when his day comes. Heck of a good fly-catcher as well.

Last edited by BillyGoatGruff; 09/11/09.

MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I would pick them in this order.

1. Labrador Retriever

2. Labrador Retriever

3. Labrador Retriever

Couldn't agree more.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B.I.C.
'tikka
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I would vote for the golden. I think there is a unstated "lab" bias on the site, due to the fact that most of the folks here are hunters and labs are better at that at this point than most goldens, so most here would have experiences with labs, which are absolutely wonderful dogs. The truth is either one would make a fantastic family pet. I've always had pointers that have used primarily for upland game to go with our "family" dog, which has always been a golden, lately British Goldens (which are really basically creme or white). I think that the post above, sums it up when it comes to Goldens. They own you, you don't own them. But I've never been around any other breed that demands to love and be loved like they do.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Lab.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Golden retrievers rock!

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Enrique - how do the in-laws feel about your dog being part of the "kid package", especially as a pup? 7 hours is a long time for any puppy to be alone. You will see all the bad puppy habits coming out (digging, chewing, barking) with that much alone time. First few months are critical for basic training. Maybe the in-laws are okay with helping that along....or maybe you should wait on the dog thing. Or maybe you won't mind the habits born out of boredom...

When my lab was a pup, I was working nights and with her a good part of the day while my wife was around her most of the rest of the day. She had regular training each day. Housebroken within two or three days. Very little chewing and very little digging - really no significant bad behavior. Kinda like kids, I attribute this to pretty constant interaction with Mom&Dad during those "growing months".

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I've always had a soft spot for Golden Retrievers. We have too much mud to have a dog with their type of hair and leg feathers.

We have a yellow lab and a black lab.

Last edited by ironbender; 09/11/09.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Go here.

Dogs galor!

NRA Lifetime Member
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
A lab... be aware though that they shed more fur than seems possible and pass "silent death" gas... but still, a lab

We have a lab/border collie and is one of the most intelligent dogs I ever been around. Lets the grandkids agonize her with no problems. Does have the tendency to pass gas when she's laying on the floor next to where I'm lying on the couch. It took about two nights to crate train her. When the wife or I reach for our keys she heads for her crate or the back door without being told. The border collie in her comes out when I'm mowing the year; she walks behind me right at my heels like she's herding me.

One of my favorite clothing patterns is camouflage. Because when you're in the woods it makes you blend in. But when you're not it does just the opposite. It's like "hey, there's an a__hole." - Demetri Martin

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a 1/2 Aussie/ 1/2 unknown. 60 lbs, but sweet. Never barks, chews, jumps up, etc.

Very good dog, especially around the kids. Never, ever tried to bite anyone, (except when I sic her on the 14 year old knucklehead grin)

I swear if I wanted to teach her, she could learn anything. Especially good on voice commands.

Your Aussie may vary.

stumpy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd rather have a pair of small dogs than one larger dog. Vet bills might be a bit more, but the food bill is likely to be a bit less. I hate leaving a dog by itself during the day when I'm at work. There is also much less mess to deal with inside the house.

Now with even more aplomb
Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Speaking of vet bills. Do you think if I get a black lab that doesn't do much he/she can qualify for animal welfare or free health care?
Joking guys joking

Freeme,
You bring up a point that has concerned me for some time and has delayed the puppy. Time alone or it going to the inlaws.
The positive is the pup would only have to deal with that 3 times a week not all week. And again the fact that my mom or sister or someone can check on it can be a big help. The Inlaws are great with dogs, and I am sure they would help if we needed. especially if it is for the kids.
then again I am going for promotion and I'll likely end up on graves so the puppy might get attention all day.

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Enrique
Speaking of vet bills. Do you think if I get a black lab that doesn't do much he/she can qualify for animal welfare or free health care?
Joking guys joking

Freeme,
You bring up a point that has concerned me for some time and has delayed the puppy. Time alone or it going to the inlaws.
The positive is the pup would only have to deal with that 3 times a week not all week. And again the fact that my mom or sister or someone can check on it can be a big help. The Inlaws are great with dogs, and I am sure they would help if we needed. especially if it is for the kids.
then again I am going for promotion and I'll likely end up on graves so the puppy might get attention all day.

Kique

Sounds like good a time as any, then!

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great Dane

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

477 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 257_X_50, 1Longbow, 22kHornet, 55 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,743
Posts18,495,111
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.