Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
6mm250 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
For hunting critters , what's yours ? Anyone use Remington Sub Sonic ? Opinions of the Sub Sonic for hunting ?

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If they shoot good, shoot em. I have never owned a 22 that wuld shoot any Remington rimfire ammo worth a dam, now CCI shorts and longs is a different story.

Many a bushtail has met his maker with CCI longs in my back yard at ranges up to about 40/43 yards.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I normally use Wolf Match Target for hunting gray squirrels. It is very accurate in my Kimber Hunter and with head shots, it is plenty enough. I have a Browning A-Bolt .22 that shoots Remington Sub Sonic quite well. I killed a lot of squirrels with that combination. CCI Standard Velocity and Mini-Mags are almost never a bad choice in any .22 firearm.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Man we think alike on a lot...I always used Match Ammo on squirrels...back in the day, usually CCI gree tag or Remington Pistol Match...It shot better in my rifle,and was a skosh more quiet...I used to shoot them behind the shoulder cause head shots often caused them to kick when they hit the leaves, making more noise,behind the shoulder was DRT.
Nowadays for ground squirrels here in MT. which we shoot by the thousands and don't eat, I favor CCI Mini-mag Hollow points...gun likes them best, and the HPs doink 'em pretty hard..
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another vote for the Mini-Mags. I have some Wolf Match and PMC match that shoot the best on both of my .22's, but the Mini-Mags shoot better on average than anything else I have tried.

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
CCI Velociter and the mini mags get my vote. My Ruger 10/22 with a 20" Green Moutain barrel spits the Velociter into 1 hole at 50 yards. Haven't tried them on grey yet.

Ken

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Two of my rifles really like Rem Sub-Sonics. They are accurate, effective on head or shoulder shots, and used to be pretty cheap.

Tried some Winchester Sub-Sonics yesterday, and got .5 inch five shot groups at 50 yards. These bullets have a wicked large hollow point. I'll be giving them a try in the squirrel woods this fall.

Wolf match seem to work in every rifle I've tried them in.

Steve

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 7x57STEVE

Tried some Winchester Sub-Sonics yesterday, and got .5 inch five shot groups at 50 yards. These bullets have a wicked large hollow point. I'll be giving them a try in the squirrel woods this fall.

Steve

So Steve, I'm guessing we're splitting that case you ordered grin ? Got the same results with my Cooper.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pugs,

Yup!

Steve

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
CCI LR sub-sonic HP's work great in my Weatherby MK XX11 and Sako Finnfire. Have shot bunches of ground squirrels with this combo. Kills them with any kind of decent bullet placement.
Virgil B.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
For me it's a 10 year old batch of Federal Gold Ultra Match. I'm down to 18 boxes and the thought of running out brings tears to my eyes. My primary squirrel rifle is a custom Martini 12/15 that shoots this stuff into 3/8" groups/50 yds. My M2 Springfield orders Eley Tenex off the menu. The lot I have of that stuff is very accurate in that gun, but not so hot in the Martini.

I prefer match ammo for squirrels because I believe in bullet placement being more important than high velocity. Of course if the Hi Vel stuff shot better than the match stuff in my rifles, that's what I would use. I can't remember ever losing a squirrel that was hit in the chest with a low vel .22 bullet. I bought into the high velocity/hollow point arguement as a kid, but as I got older I came to find that the slow stuff kills just fine too. A lot quieter also- maybe a consideration if additional targets are desired.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got an old mossberg us44 and it hates the high velocity LR's, but the lr standard vels work very nice. Right now it's tuned up to shoot CCI CB's and when it comes to those rounds it is hell on earth and very quite. At 30 yrds I can knock a spent shotgun shell primer straight out of the shell. I know that distance isn't much, but I figure my job is to close the gap and the gun will do the rest.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used Remington sub sonic HPs for the last couple years and they've performed great on squirrels.

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
CCI Mini-Mags shoot the best from my Kimber and my Green Mountain Barreled 10-22. My 22 pistols like the Winchester Dyna-Points the best . I use the 17 HMR for most of my squirrel hunting these days . My Anschutz and Cooper 17 HMR are the tops when it comes to killing squirrels.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
The CCi stingers shoot best in my Ruger 10/22,Blazer 22 lr's come in a close second.

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
I've got a 1022, a Marlin 60, an Anshutz, and a old Ruger Standard pistol (that's the one that preceded the MK I) and they all prefer different shells. I have found that the standard velocity shells seem to be a mite more accurate. I have also found that hollow point/solid point does not make any difference in dead squirrels or cotton tails.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I do a lot of shooting with sub-sonic ammo and this is my favorite sub-sonic hunting ammo:

[Linked Image]

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
lapua

M
M
I've shot Remington Sub-sonics on grouse (head shots only) and rabbits. They've done just fine on either one. They're as accurate as Remington Target or Federal standard velocity out of my Anschutz 64 or Remington 541 and have fewer fliers than the Remington Target. They also used to be pretty inexpensive.

I bought a carton of the Winchester sub-sonics but haven't had a chance to get out to the range and see how they do.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My three primary .22LR squirrel hunting rifles absolutely love both the Eley High Velocity Hollowpoint AND the Eley Sub Sonic Hollowpoint. Unfortunately Eley can't seem to produce enough ammo to feed the U.S. market and they are only available in small runs which dry up so quickly if you aren't paying extremely close attention you miss out.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

410 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 41 invisible), 1,776 guests, and 1,080 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,002
Posts18,481,306
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.