Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I think the bottom metal (2 piece) is around 6.8 ounces. The blind mag in the stock will probably add around 2 ounces to the stock (extra fiberglass for the blind spot) and a 670 trigger guard another 2. So going blind mag will save roughly 2 ounces. A one piece will weight a bit more this save a bit more. Considering that it's only a couple of ounces, make the decision based on what you prefer, blind mag or bottom metal. I prefer blind mag for simplicity, but that's a personal choice.

JCM

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Wrongside:I think getting to 6.5,absolute weight,will be pretty tough.It may take some expensive action machining,eliminate the floorplate,etc and go with a light contour no longer than 22".But you could end up pretty close.You can only get so light with a M70.

Many on here are McMillan fans,and I like them a lot,too.Just put a pre 64 FW 270 in an Edge,and it's a great rifle.It's light,but still not as light as my other one with a Brown Precision Pound'r,which I still believe to be the lightest stock I have ever owned.For backpacking,where every ounce counts,you may want to consider a Pound'r.They are expensive, though.

I was going to say get a Kimber Montana in 7/08,but then noticed you're lefty.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great points guys. Thanks for the input.

The base action isn't an option for me. I know they are kinda heavy, but, the M70 is the only action available in LH with the features I want and a good availability of 'go fast' parts. Action machining probably isn't in the budget, have to see...

Bob, the barrel would probably be a 30-06 chambered Winchester Featherweight contour at, like you said, 22". I will look into the Brown stock you mentioned also, have to see if it's available in 'backwards'.

Funny you mention the Montana in 708, Bob. That's the factory rifle that'd make this conversation null and void, if they ever decided to make a LH version. I've wanted one for awhile now...

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Wrongside,
Hope I was of some help. I continue to dream of a lefty Kimber Montana as well, especially since they advertised them early on and then decided to not make them. However, the lefty M70 is my preferred action and am quite happy with the way both of mine have turned out.

Best of luck!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Absolutely, Huntr. Thanks a ton.

Your rifles turned out great IMO. They have me waffling between a no holds barred LW build or a 7ish pounds is light enough build. Especially me preferring floor plates like I do. I know of a guy up here that has a similar rifle to yours, but with Williams BM, and his goes just over 7 pounds 4 ounces. Ready to go, he says.

A Montana won't do a thing your rifles doesn't already do. Just less of them to carry. Sometimes that's all it takes for us to dream, eh? Inspite of the Kimber roulette... blush

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Wrongside,
The 30-06 I have in the picture on the bear rug also has Williams bottom metal, and has a little more barrel shank than a true Win. fwt. contour, and it is right at 7lbs 4oz's.

I am with you on the floor plate, I truly prefer them, especially on a Winchester action.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yah, I see that now that you mention it. The weight makes sense too, a little more shank might equal a few rounds down. According to the fella mentioned his is 7lbs4 ready to hunt.

I've had a extra Wiliams laying around for a couple years now. Probably should just use it, it makes me smile. Great quality, but not light.

Hhhmmm....

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The Williams is not that much heavier than the factory one-piece. I would certainly not hesitate to use it as it is of much better quality.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I felt like I got the best weight savings after the lighter stock by switching from the SS bottom metal to some post 64 alloy bottom metal.

You lose a round of magazine capacity if you go blind magazine.

One of the posters said two?

Why I am not sure as I believe the Ranger's hold five in '06 based chamberings.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I saved over 4 ounces simply going to a blind magazine stock.

The factory (or any steel) bottom metal is quite heavy. A blind magazine adds at most 2 ounces to the stock; less if using a lightweight synthetic. The trigger guard adds no appreciable weight unless switching over to an all-steel version.

IC B3

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I wanted a rifle that would pack a punch but still be light and handy for hunting moose & elk in grizzly country here in northern BC. I already owned a .338Mag but I wanted something different. I finally decided on a .338-06 build. My project started with a .30-06 Classic Featherweight. Had a Pac-Nor #1 SS Sporter installed, trued the lugs, recessed the muzzle, fluted and finished at 23". I had all the metalwork powdercoated matte black and it nicely matches the Leupold VariX III 2.5x8 in Talley lightweights. The barrel is fully free floated and there's a Pachmeyer decelerator on the butt. The whole enchilada weighs in at 7lbs 4oz sans sling. Even with the light barrel, my 200gr handloads are so far 2700+ fps and three shots will stay within an inch at 100 yards. Next step is to secure a new stock, pillar bed it, then it'll be complete. Any suggestions for a stock?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
McMillan Edge would be my pick.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Keep the stock you have. My 338-06, my main hunting rifle especially for Kodiak Sitka deer.Started out as a new Classic Fwt. 270. Douglas #2 conture, action trued and all the bells and whistles. Have had no issues with the walnut stock. shoots mostly under an inch and lots of sub half inch with Barnes 225's and Nosler Par. 250's. All up wt. on my scales is 7 3/4#. I did pick up a Borden Rimrock Fwt. stock but never fit it as I like it just like it is. --- Mel
[Linked Image]

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
7lb 3oz

.300WSM
Bansner blind mag stock
VXIII 3.5-10 B&C
Gentry Rings & Bases

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

349 members (12savage, 204guy, 12344mag, 16gage, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 40 invisible), 2,519 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,499
Posts18,490,472
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.