Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Strick9 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So the other day around 730 pm or so I get stuck behind a school bus making dropoffs. I am thinking man where or what bus is that as I haven't seen a vocational school buss in our area for ages. The bus then stops in an area that makes the Bronx look pleasant when it comes to loitering. Beer cans are the decor here as is the group on the corner at the local bare Club Jamaica 858. Anyway two thugs that must have been 20 years old get off the bus, pants down to waist, head nets on, necks bent over from chain weighted around them. I think to myself what in the world, the bus hangs the next left and on its side the name of a high school which is some 30 miles away. In my area their are a lot of highschools like 4 per county and all huge. At any rate this one was in an entirely different county than the school it represented and was dropping off with no exageration full grown men and of a not so nice appearance to say the very very least.

I happen to have a friend who is a guidance counselor at the high school whose name was upon the bus and so I inquired.

He said it was the No Child left behind program inwhich students who are underachieving and are at a underachieving school may attend another school with better records.

I was thinking sounds good, till he filled me in. His school is now slipping down hill drastically, violence theft and drug use have through the roof as has female student harrassment. The saddest part is that those students, who would and want to learn, are being bullied by those who would not at an alarming rate.

It seems the basic idea is good here but the outcome not so good as the teachers and admin are tooless to dicipline these students. It works out like this, lets go get some criminals who give less than a hoot about their education and toss them into our innocent childrens lives and see how they mix. My friend also added that the teachers and administrations hands are being tied when it comes to discipline or expulsion as the race card keeps getting played and played hard.

You litterally have to beat somone up, get caught with drugs and smack the teacher to be expelled.

WTF? To add my money is paying for them to be transported.

There is an addage out there about this concerning a Fox in a chicken coup or something the likes.

I am disgusted and appalled.

Thats just lovely.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
GB1

Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No child left behind. Who's idiotic idea was this? smile

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
could be state laws in effect too.....not that hard to expel a kid here....the behavior you state isnt tolerated in the public school district here...

as far as no child left behind.....the idea behind it is good but the legislation is awful and the standards they set will be impossible to meet in the end.....cant believe how much the school districts here have to spend on personnel and paperwork to keep up with the Act....there are only just under 1000 students in this preschool through 12th grade district and they had to hire some JUST to deal with all the paperwork and such mandated by this act. thats money that could have been spent on another teacher or instructional supplies. also our district is better off then some financially and i cant imagine how districts operating on shoe string budgets are able to do it....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No Child Left Behind is a euphemism for "busing"

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. --H. L. Mencken

www.oregonfirearms.org
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My daughter teaches at a Rochester NY area high school. She and her co-workers who really like to teach say that "No child left behind" is a colossal failure and an obstruction to those who want to learn.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife is a teacher... She says "No Child Left Behind" is the equivalent to "Curve Grading All Students To A Universal Level Of Dumbness."

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
If the NEA doesn't like it, it's a good idea. Implementation from district to district is quite different.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Tod
No child left behind. Who's idiotic idea was this? smile

I think it was "dead ted", he was a sponser and probably the architect, I believe Bush had the idea and in a show of bi-partisanship let teddy turn a good idea into a train wreck.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
No Child Left Behind was a Bush program. The basic premise of the program was that schools had to teach to the child at his level as he (ideally) filled in the gaps in his learning and could then catch up to where he was supposed to be. The program did not calculate that many children are already left behind when they leave the womb because of parental drug/alcohol use during pregnancy. The program did not calculate for the fact that many parents did not provide a positive environment for their children, nor for student apathy. The end result of the program is that schools were 10 years to make every child normal, which is a pipe dream.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
No Child Left Behind was a Bush program. The basic premise of the program was that schools had to teach to the child at his level as he (ideally) filled in the gaps in his learning and could then catch up to where he was supposed to be. The program did not calculate that many children are already left behind when they leave the womb because of parental drug/alcohol use during pregnancy. The program did not calculate for the fact that many parents did not provide a positive environment for their children, nor for student apathy. The end result of the program is that schools were 10 years to make every child normal, which is a pipe dream.

Very well put, Leon. Thank you.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I was and am a Bush supporter, but I believe he caved in to pressure from the left to have an education program. NCLB sounded good, but it was deeply flawed, and no degree of funding could make it a success.

Leon

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Just remember. These are the same people who are now planning to take over our health care.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
NCLB is a farce to let my idiot monster thug of a kid play with your well behaved students in the futile hope that something good will rub off of your kid and mine won't disturb the learning process of yours. Fat chanch you stinking commmies.

Wayne

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was the SRO at a metro highschool in Iowa. It's not exactly a slum area of Iowa but there are a mix of minorites and there are a mix of people from very poor to very rich. So we had a wide selection and variety of students in my school.

First let me say No Child Left Behind is a Bush adminstration initiative that got bi-partisan support. Since I never considered GW Bush a conservative I feel I can say it was a "liberal do gooder program".

It had two main functions:
1 Track teacher and administration performance
2 Keep at risk kids in school

Other than steal time away from other tasks that need to be completed, (discipline) tracking teacher performance has been successful. It requires adminstrators to monitor teacher performance in the class room to make sure they are teaching what the State and Federal Dept. of Education mandates. (this is where he brain washing and re writing history comes in)

The second priority is where the other students in the building suffer. I can say based on my observations some kids DO NOT want to be students. They do not try to be successful at school and do not want to be in the building other than for social and criminal activities. (hanging out with their friends, scamming on the chicks (or boys) making drug deals, stealing, use your imagination)

By state law and federal mandate the schools are REQUIRED to keep theses students in school as long as it's possible whether or not they are being successful or not. It's not until they violate the rules to the point they are unsafe to have in the building, can they be expelled. The students can quit any time after age 16 but if the food is free, you can hang out with your buddies all day long, steal, sell drugs and scam on the chicks, why leave?

The down side is the students who want to be in the building, who want to be successful, who want to graduate, have to manuever around the losers fouling the hallways and classes. Let alone the amount of time and resoures they steal away from the good students with wasted time by the teacher and administrators.

Since I was NOT a teacher, I was not bound by these rules but I did get a first hand look at what was happening to the school, the classes and the students. The losers stole most of the money, the time, the staff talents away from the rest of the student to focus on maybe 10 to 15% of the total building.

I see the similarities in todays health care debate. We have 15 to 20% of the country (not including illegals) who do not have health care. I know some of those folks have been priced out or excluded by no fault of their own. Call it bad luck or bad circumstances. However, what is left over has lived or created a lifestyle that makes them too lazy or just don't care and the rest of us have to pick up the bill. What would that be, maybe 10 to 15% of the population? Do you see the connection?

There is nothing we can do to get that 10 to 15% motivated enough to stay in school and be successful. The best thing we can do is create a safe and successful environment for those who do choose to stay in school and make their school experience the best we can for them. I was ready to write off the bad students and intentionally exclude them for the sake of the good students. I thought it then and I think it now. It's probably a good thing I don't get to make the rules. But the good kids deserve as much attention as the bad kids. But, they are NOT getting it.

I'm sure some of you may disagree, but what if it were your student who was doing everything right but was having to manuver around the bad students and the distractions and safety issues they create. It's time to cut them loose from the building and focus on those people who want to be successful. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Strick9 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I think it is just another means with which to numb our children to a life of incompetancy, therefore allowing the government to more readily control its subjects.

Whatever ever it is it is the grossest missuse of my taxpayer money around and by far the most dangerous to our youth and their success.

Stupid is stupid does.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
kwg020 nailed it.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I wonder if it's cheaper to build a school or a prison?

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
No Child's Behind Left.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
toltecgriz said:
I wonder if it's cheaper to build a school or a prison?

It depends on how much you value your childs education and possibly his or her welfare. We are going to pay either way. Pick your poison. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Public education is a failure just like everything else the government runs. Look at all the money poured into it and America's kids still score lower, in unsafe schools, than lesser nations.

I am a public school employee.

20% of our student population does not speak English. Can you guess why this school scores low? Student population is 14% white, who are mostly poor. Black students think they run the place because they outnumber everyone. They don't know that white families here put their kids in private school to protect them from the rampant black racial hatred that has worsened since Obama became president. Let me be fair by saying that every black teacher and school employee is a damn fine person. But the ghetto kids make the place hell.

Get your kids out of public school. Seriously.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1Longbow, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 257 roberts, 219DW, 204guy, 52 invisible), 1,939 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,275
Posts18,525,516
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.