Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#3306315 09/15/09
V
viking Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Anybody out there remember Herter's. I have some herters bullets, I was just wondering what happened to the company.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep, I have a Herter's press that a member helped me out with when I was breaking Rockcrusher's. grin Couple of Herters dies too, 30-06 comes to mind. Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have some of their old catalogs. Its fun to look through those. I don't know when they closed shop.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got a Herters cast bullet sizer I bought about 30 years ago. Looks to be a Saeco without the ratchet handle on the lube press.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a couple or three hundred Herter 338 caliber rifle bullets of various weights. Also some 338 Winchester Mag. brass that I bought way back when marked Herters.

Rolly
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cabela's owns the Herter's trademark. I think they brought back some of the Herter Decoys and are selling them.

I had picked up a Herter's Recoil reducer that looked like a Flash Gordon device, but never found a Funky enough gun to put it on.

Don

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
They went out around 1980. I'm still using Herter's ammo boxes and Dad is using plenty of Herter's reloading gear.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
they were the cabelas/bass pro shop of the day. they even had guns as i remember ordering a piece of junk 22 pistol from them for about 15 bucks. delivered right to your house. those were the days.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Herters in Beaverdam, Wisconsin, sold hunting equipment until around 1999. They were bought out by Cabela's, and continued to make decoys there. The Cabela's store lasted a few years.
About 3 years ago I drove by and the decoy factory part was shut down, as well.

Have an A1 Day!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Herters had a store in Lacey, Washington not far from where Cabelas is today. They had a going out of business sale and I was young, single, and had cash. I got dies, brass, ammo, fishing gear, two barreled actins, rain gear and lots of fishing stuff. The other day, I was getting out some fishing gear to get a friend's grandson started. There were swivels, hooks and weights with the Herters tags on them that were unopened thirty years after the sale. Maybe I went a little overboard?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They even sold diamonds .The investment grade . They were importers primarily , I'm thinking .

It was the only source we had for reloading supplies in the sixties .

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
For kids like like us, in the early sixties, living in backwater towns, no Gander Mountain, no Bass Pro Shop, no Cabelas, no internet, no credit cards.... the Herter's catalog was like another world. Save and save, nickels and dimes, get a money order, fill out an order form, send it to Waseca Minnesota and a month or so later (after you'd forgotten you'd ordered the stuff) it would arrive.

We all hated Jaques Herter Jr., a teenage kid with his picture on every page, hunting and fishing in exotic, far away places. We all probably envied him to.

As I recall, I was always pleased with anything I got from them. I still have a set of their .32 Win. Spec. dies in the original box, and some of the original foam-bodied decoys.

Several years ago my brother gave me a mid-sixties Herter's catalog for Christmas, he'd bought it on Ebay. I love looking through it once in a while.

Mathew 22: 37-39

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I believe the owner died & either the wife or daughter ran for awhile. I purchased lure & rod making kits & supplies from them. Some of their knives were great buys & some junk. Every product was advertised as the worlds best. Many were indeed great buys.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
everything from Herter's was Model Perfect......I had a 6mm Rem they sold on a BSA action in a sort of faux Weatherby stock that shot lights out, but since I could hardly look at it without snickering even at that young age, I sent it down the road. Still have one of their "Canadian" knives floating around somewhere.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've killed/caught a bunch of stuff whilst wearing a Herters hat

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No Turkey's, I'm disappointed Scott.

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by viking
Anybody out there remember Herter's. I have some herters bullets, I was just wondering what happened to the company.

The story I heard was that daddy Herter sold flies made with polar bear fur, after having been warned repeatedly it was illegal, following the Marine Mammal Act of 1972. In the following dust up with the friendly feds he needed lots of money to pay his fine and was so disgusted overall, he sold the whole shebang. While I doubt the veracity of the story, but not the teller, it was a good one.

Last edited by batch; 09/15/09.

I'm not cheap, I'm frugal.
[Linked Image]
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Herter�s was based in Minnesota and everything was advertised as the "World's Finest". I got sucked in and bought a ton of the stuff (gun stocks, bullets, gun parts, fishing gear) and was never disappointed - it was not of the highest quality - ever! I knew this but as a 15 year old in the '50's kept hoping that their advertising would be honest. It never was, but their catalogs were great!

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have a Herter's chamfering tool in the box that my Dad gave me a few years ago. I keep it here with my "trophies."

"The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's." Mark Twain
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
"The more I know about people, the more I like my dog." Mark Twain
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Been to the Herters store in Waseca many times. Have two Herters shotgun presses, one of which has loaded most everything I've shot for more than 40 years. Have one rifle in .243 that's ugly as sin but shoots as well as any I have. The other is a pretty 300 WM which is easy to drop into an inch. I still have wood left from when they closed. I also managed to get some wood out of the Mitchell store closing. I load with Herters dies in some calibers.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

54 members (6mmbrfan, 10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 907brass, 808outdoors, 7 invisible), 14,332 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,998
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.