Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Does anyone know where I can get a set of these swivels mounted on a Pre-64 Mod 70 Stock. HCR does not have the installation kit and has never installed them before. Having some furniture upgrade done to my Pre-64 280AI and thought the Pachmyer swivels would be a nice finishing touch. Know they're a little pricey but think I can get away with that. The swivels and installation kit plus installation seems a little much.

http://www.pachmayr.com/sling-swivels.php

Whatcha' think?

Model 70 Forever
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You are trying to inlet a flat topped "tube" in a rounded surface. There will be either exposed tube or exposed wood. Fairing the wood into the metal will remove finish and require more effort.

Due to the inexact nature of the install, worrying about an install kit seems more than a little anal...

I use Uncle Mikes QD100 swivels and they have exactly the same issue. On factory stocks it will not be possible to install them perfectly and by eye should be plenty close enough...
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
RAN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
1. The "tube" is not flat-topped. It has a rounded crown. In fact, the rear base has a fairly high crown to more closely match the smaller radius of the stock belly.

2. The bases are not inletted. They have a sharp, high-crest wood screw style thread on the outside that is designed to screw into a 1/2" hole.

3. No wood fairing is needed for a neat look. They can be installed on a finshed stock with no finish damage. The installation kit makes it easy to drill the hole and install the bases in dead true alignment with the slots aligned and no blue damage.

4. Properly installed, the base appears as a blue steel dome that protrudes slightly above the wood surface. Looks much better than the standard QD swivel base.

RAN

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
RAN
Thanks for that... I have seen uncrowned units and assumed they all were...
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Thanks much to both you guys. I have seen these swivels after installed and they are super cool. RAN I agree that no wood fairing is required. However in this case I'm having the swivel bases, an ebony forearm tip and Pachmyer recoil pad installed before a good oil refinishing job. Also RAN I see you're from Texas, so do you know of a smith who you would trust to install these bases on a "garden-variety" high-comb Model 70 stock.

Model 70 Forever
IC B2

R
RAN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Don, I don't know anyone that could do the job. In my opinion the installation should not be attempted without the installation jig. Lacking that, it could be done on a vertical mill, but would be tricky. I used to have the jig, but sold it some years ago when I quit making stocks.

RAN

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (257_X_50, 21, 2ndwind, 41rem, 10 invisible), 2,373 guests, and 992 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,779
Posts18,536,015
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.