-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Last night I high centered my machine on an old log. The log had a sawed off branch long enough to tear my CV joint boot on the left front. In order to repair this it appears as though I need to tear it down from the wheel assembley to the boot. My qiestion is, does anyone know of a manufacturer of a "split" boot? If there is one, all I'd have to do is cut the damaged one off and slip the new one on, screw it together and be done with it. Thanks in advance for any help.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have thought the same thing but I do not know of one. That little axle is hell to get off usually. This might be the lightbulb that makes you a millionaire! Get to work on inventing one!

J
jmj Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I don't think anybody makes one. I've probably torn a dozen on my Arctic Cat. I want somebody to make one out of stainless steel mesh or something like those shark suites are made from. Something that won't rip. It's about a 45 minute job for me. Know in advance that you need that special tool to install the bands. Also, you might check your local parts house. Arctic Cat wants 40 bucks for the rubber boat, I took it to Advance Auto and we discovered a boot from a Chevy Geo is the same thing. 12.95 and I was in business.....

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for that info. I was hoping to use a standard hose clamp to replace the special band, but it's probably best not to. I looked at it last night ans for the moment just used Gorilla Tape on it. I am hard pressed for spare time at the moment. I bought the machine new and it has less that 125 hours and just a tad over 200 miles on it. I can let it sit for a few days and be OK. The shaft and CV joint look OK. I am not sure if I will do the job myself or stick it in the shop. At 65, I'm not looking forward to the wowrk, but that's still not saying I won't do it myself. Undecided at this point. Thanks for the responses guys. I appreciate it.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
ask norhtern dave, he knows about these polaris'.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
just gotta tear into it & get dirty.

not a whole heap of fun but not all that terrible of a job either.

sometimes the worse part can be getting the CV joint to pop apart so you can get the new boot on.

don't run em any more than you have to with a torn boot. boot it a heap bunch cheaper than the whole joint.

and I've gotten by before without any special pliers for the clamp or band that holds the boot on.

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Dave. For right now I just used Gorilla tape to close it up. I'll order a boot kit and just leave it sit in it's garage. I've looked it over and it looks pretty straight forward except for the part of getting it to pop out of the joint. I am amazed nobody has come up with an aftermarkert split boot. That would be just the ticket.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
sometimes you really have to give a good tug to get the shaft end to pop out of a cv joint. you might even start to wonder if it even comes apert lol!!

you often times need a way to pop it loose, straight pull sometimes wont cut it. sometimes you kind of need a slide hammer pop type of force to split the shaft from the joint, which isn't simple cause it's greasy & such.

but you did say you was 65

so I aint worried about your abilities. grin

the mind is a powerful thing no? grin

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Yup, 65 and a toolmaker/machinist all my working life. I can get it apart alright, the question is, do I WANT to or let someone else do it? grin grin Pleasure talking to all of you.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
if you run it in any mud then you need to completly clean that CV joint out with carb cleaner and regrease it before putting it back together. i tore one up on my polaris 500 last year. it's a little hard to seperate the half axle ,but it will pop right apart.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1badf350, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,360 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,702
Posts18,494,272
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.